PDA

View Full Version : Using irons

Jakester1288
21st May 2010, 07:04 PM
Now I'm only new to golf, and this forum, and the biggest problem in my game is one of the most important - using irons.

I struggle massively on the fairways, but around and on the green and off the tee I am decent.

My friend has pointed out I hit far in front of the ball, any way to stop this happening?

I'm looking for simple advice, as I don't know the terms of golf yet, but any advice is really appreciated.

Yossarian
21st May 2010, 07:06 PM
Where are you based mate?

Jakester1288
21st May 2010, 09:41 PM
Near Coffs Harbour, in NSW.

I plan on making a small barrier type thing for me to belt balls into, so I don't lose them, haven't got around to that yet. Should be good to practice with that constantly.

Jakester1288
26th May 2010, 09:22 PM
Golf's a funny game. Normally I'm good off the tee and on the green, today I played terrible with them, but for once, I played good with the irons (by my standards).

I started to take practice swings and see where my club was coming down in relation to the ball and tried to adjust accordingly, which sort of stopped me hitting a long way behind the ball.

Yossarian
26th May 2010, 09:25 PM
Lessons mate. Or latch on to a low marker.

I think to think square clubface, hands ahead of clubhead at impact.

hocko
26th May 2010, 09:30 PM
Could be a brazzilan of things Jake...take it to the local pro or like Yoss said, get a heads up from some who hits irons well.

goonie
28th May 2010, 08:00 AM
One of the biggest thing to remember with irons when new to golf is you need to hit down on the ball, and hit the ball before the ground, don't try to scoop the ball even if your trying to hit the ball high. your hands need to be slightly ahead of the ball at impact to get the descending blow on the ball. Also finding a consistent ball position will help when starting off. If you do a bit of searching on the net you will find plenty of good drills to help with this, or some people hear might offer some.

Bruce
28th May 2010, 09:40 AM
The science of the golf swing from Willow (http://www.willowgolf.com.au/wordpress/?p=30)