PDA

View Full Version : Gyms

ParMaster
21st May 2010, 11:42 AM
I'm thinking of joining up at a local gym, but I'm not sure which is the best gym to go to. I only know of Fitness First and Gold's Gym, are there any other options? Which is the best gym? What are their prices?

Cheers.

Johnny Canuck
21st May 2010, 11:48 AM
How about you contact the gym and ask them yourself?

Best for you would be one that is close so that you don't require your parents to drive you. One with student rates, although, that might not apply for much longer.

ParMaster
21st May 2010, 11:50 AM
True, but I'd like to see what Ozgolfers think.

I've been to FF before, but not Gold's. I should head down there later.

Sydney Hacker
21st May 2010, 11:50 AM
How about you contact the gym and ask them yourself?

Best for you would be one that is close so that you don't require your parents to drive you. One with student rates, although, that might not apply for much longer.

How about one with a "study centre" to help him catch up with some of that school work he is sooo behind in ???

ParMaster
21st May 2010, 11:55 AM
How about giving a helpful answer? I am doing my work as we speak, so no need for one with a study centre. :)

Sydney Hacker
21st May 2010, 12:02 PM
How about giving a helpful answer? I am doing my work as we speak, so no need for one with a study centre. :)

The most helpful answer has already been mentioned, ring the gyms and ask them !

Dotty
21st May 2010, 12:19 PM
The State Gym on Macquarie Street, or the Fisher Gym at Sydney Uni.
If you can't find them listed under 'Gymnasiums', then look under 'Libraries'.

Seriously, just keep skipping or whatever you do at home now, and use it as a short break after a couple of hours study. (Instead of logging onto facebook, golf forums, etc.)

razaar
21st May 2010, 12:29 PM
If I was using the gym for golf specific exercises, I would ensure it had several cable machines (grips with cable to weight stack), Nautilus strength machines ( abductor & adductor, obliques, seated rows, seated pulldowns, seated abs, seated back extensions, seated lats pull-overs, seated biceps, seated deltoids, leg press, leg extension & curls)). If all these machines are located in the one area I can do a circuit or two and then get out of the gym in under an hour. This way I will get a cardio & strength workout in one.

Minor_Threat
21st May 2010, 12:48 PM
Whatever gym you go to make sure you get a program that is golf specific and not that you are running around using machines willy nilly..

mike
21st May 2010, 12:48 PM
How about giving a helpful answer? I am doing my work as we speak, so no need for one with a study centre. :)Why aren't you at school?

kpac
21st May 2010, 01:02 PM
I have nothing good to say about FF so i'm not saying anything at all.

ParMaster
21st May 2010, 01:17 PM
Why aren't you at school?

Gotta get one assignment out the way first (which is nearly finished anyway).

Johnny Canuck
21st May 2010, 01:24 PM
Good thing you keep posting here.

dan
21st May 2010, 01:31 PM
I was a member of Finance First (or Fitness Last as they are also called) and the experience turned me off all gyms. Caught two nasty bugs within 4 months... the place was crawling with diseases.

TheTrueReview
21st May 2010, 01:44 PM
Two things to potentially watch out for.

(1) A lot of the gyms try to sign you up for 'weekly deduction' membership for a 12 month period. If you do the sums, you'll see that it's usually a lot more than you might expect & also a more than simply paying up front.

(2) They like to get you to sign a 'release & waiver' as part of the 'standard' gym application. Be mindful that if some moron drops a bar bell on your head & you suffer serious injuries & sue, the gym owner will probably try & use this to escape liability. Not saying not to join a gym - just the usual caveat emptor.

ParMaster
29th May 2010, 08:45 PM
Joined up at the Golds Gym for a great price, and the place is class all the way.

:)

Grunt
29th May 2010, 08:59 PM
What is a great price? I have never seen a great deal for a gym yet. there are some good one but not many great if any.
I am paying $30 a fortnight for mine which i think is ok.

ParMaster
29th May 2010, 10:56 PM
Let me rephrase that.

It's a great price for what you get. 18 bucks per week, and no joining fee for me. My brother gets two months free (saving him 160 bucks) cause both me and my mum joined.

They got free classes you can go to, and they included 2 free personal training sessions (worth 70 bucks each) with my membership. And the gym itself is very good with everything you need (and bloody good equipment as well).

henno
30th May 2010, 08:19 AM
That sounds like pretty standard stuff to me. In fact it's almost identical to the price I paid when signing up for Globogym. I had exacatly the same "extras" as well.

ParMaster
30th May 2010, 10:19 AM
Ah well, the gym is better than FF and location more convenient.

Oh, and they even have skipping ropes!!

virge666
30th May 2010, 04:24 PM
Let me rephrase that.

It's a great price for what you get. 18 bucks per week, and no joining fee for me. My brother gets two months free (saving him 160 bucks) cause both me and my mum joined.

They got free classes you can go to, and they included 2 free personal training sessions (worth 70 bucks each) with my membership. And the gym itself is very good with everything you need (and bloody good equipment as well).

$18 per week . . . ya friggin kidding me. That is $78 per month, which is $936 per year !!

I pay $440 per year for Manly Leagues gym. It is good enough for the footy team, it will do for me.

Mate, they saw you coming.

ParMaster
30th May 2010, 05:21 PM
I ain't payin. :)

Grunt
30th May 2010, 05:26 PM
I ain't payin. :)
Yet!

If you quit school you will be paying for way more.

ParMaster
30th May 2010, 05:49 PM
Argh! I ain't quitting school..(yet).

;)

Iain
30th May 2010, 06:04 PM
18 a week is pretty exxy for a gym...

The 2 "free" PT sessions are just to try and get you to sign up for regular pt session's....

goughy
30th May 2010, 06:26 PM
Police youth club! Was good enough for me - the last gym I was going to. About 12 years ago of course!

virge666
30th May 2010, 08:27 PM
Police youth club! Was good enough for me - the last gym I was going to. About 12 years ago of course!

+1 - North Sydney PBYC. Good for martial arts too...

Yossarian
30th May 2010, 08:52 PM
Golds gym is a well known gay hangout. Trust me.

Peter
30th May 2010, 08:59 PM
It's in Surry Hills - what do you expect?

ParMaster
24th June 2010, 12:54 PM
Well here's a question for some of you weightlifters out there.

Went to the gym 2 days ago, did some weights which my body isn't used to, went at it pretty hard. Now I'm really struggling to move my arms at all, at least without some really bad shooting pains (my arms are quite stiff as well).

Is this expected for a begginner? How long till I'm 'recovered'? Anything I can do to prevent it next time?

Any help would be great, it's really painful and I want to hit my new VR BLADES!!

henno
24th June 2010, 01:00 PM
Google "DOMS".

That is all.

Johnny Canuck
24th June 2010, 01:38 PM
The second day is always the worst.

Make sure you stretch before, during and after the workout.

Start with full body workouts, ie. a little of each muscle group for the first while before you target one or two specific muscle groups for an entire workout. This will also help with the pain as you won't 100% immobilise one entire portion of your body.

Most importantly, harden the **** up and get out there and hit the new sticks.

AndyP
24th June 2010, 01:40 PM
Surely you have to gradually build up in every strenuous activity that you do, and not just throw yourself in the deep end.

just
24th June 2010, 01:44 PM
Surely you have to gradually build up in every strenuous activity that you do, and not just throw yourself in the deep end.
Surely that would take a little common sense and intelligence.

Johnny Canuck
24th June 2010, 01:53 PM
Were you using the heavy skipping rope Pup?

Eag's
24th June 2010, 01:54 PM
How old are you again Pup?? man up ya sook.

Dotty
24th June 2010, 02:17 PM
Wanted - An old head.
Unsure of hosel size, but must be able to fit on young shoulders.
:razz:

Good on you, PM, for not letting your membership gather dust.

Couple of days rest, asprin, keep hydrated, keep warm and since you are feeling miserable anyway, use the time to catch up with your assignments/reading.

ParMaster
24th June 2010, 03:42 PM
Dotty,

Love your last line!

Eags,

15 mate. And I have hardened up, went and hit 50 balls with some different irons, and just on the way to giving my new irons (Nike VR Blades) a go!!

JC,

Nah mate, skipping rope is broken remember. :(

Thanks for your advice..definately helpful.

AP,

My personal trainer was showing me how to use some of the equipment, specifically the areas I wanted to work on. The excercises weren't that hard while I was doing them, but I can definately feel the effect now. :)

Hno,

Cheers. :D

AndyP
24th June 2010, 03:50 PM
I got confused.

went at it pretty hard

The excercises weren't that hard

razaar
24th June 2010, 04:55 PM
Pup

Get yourself a training mate, preferrably somebody who is hard-core. Train hard 5 days a week, forget school and forget golf. Just concentrate on getting big and pushing huge weight. Your future is most definitely as a gym junkie.

Your friend, raz.

Zeusgolf
24th June 2010, 05:14 PM
Golds gym is a well known gay hangout. Trust me.

Nothing like hanging yourself out to dry...

BTW you should be looking at Crossfit....

Jono
25th June 2010, 11:45 AM
Nothing like hanging yourself out to dry...

BTW you should be looking at Crossfit....

Crossfit is a great conditioning tool. I suck at it but I still enjoy it. Hopefully, one day I'll be able to keep up with the fitter guys.

Pup, in terms of lifting weights for strength training, don't go to failure. I call it "bodybuilding style" lifting. There is a place for going to failure (with negative reps, partial reps etc) for more advanced guys who already have some strength. For you, I'd recommend starting at a low weight and low reps (good quality reps) with higher sets and then gradually building up the weight. For instance, instead of doing 3 sets of 10, do 5 sets of 6 or even 10 sets of 3. You'll be much more fresh after each workout and your strength gains will be better.

If you are ever down near Wollongong, you are more than welcome to train at the "Jono's Gym". 8)

ParMaster
25th June 2010, 09:50 PM
And show me how to do a 500 pound bench press? :)

BTW Jono, how long have you been doing your 'bodybuilding' for now? Are you totally 'ripped'? :D

davepuppies
27th June 2010, 10:54 AM
Pup,

Golds has a very good reputation, and the one that was in Surry Hills was first class - best equipment in sydney. I believe they relocated out Parra way. In any event good choice.

I have a FF membership as they have so many locations, makes it easy. 478 per month is standard

Make sure you get some good quality protein into you post training, and if you dont want to change your diet, use some Protein powder, preferably WPI (whey protein isolate)

You will be sore for a few days, that is a good thing it shows you broke down the muscle tissue which is the goal of the gym, you will gain strength and size from the recovery (sleep and eat well)

Make sure you stretch the muscles out over the week to retain flexability.

Good luck!

Jono
28th June 2010, 10:55 AM
And show me how to do a 500 pound bench press? :)

BTW Jono, how long have you been doing your 'bodybuilding' for now? Are you totally 'ripped'? :D

I'll show you more interesting stuff than bench presses. 8) I've got some really good core exercise machines in my gym such as reverse hyper, glute ham raise machine, landmines, tackler machine and my favourite, atlas stones. I reckon atlas stones are the best for explosive posterior chain firing movements.

BTW, I'm nowhere near "ripped". Just in case you misunderstood me, I'm against people doing "bodybuilding style" workouts and bodybuilding style diets, especially for us beginners. As I wrote in my previous post, don't go to failure, do low reps with more sets and gradually increase the weight.

ParMaster
28th June 2010, 10:30 PM
Pup,

Golds has a very good reputation, and the one that was in Surry Hills was first class - best equipment in sydney. I believe they relocated out Parra way. In any event good choice.

I have a FF membership as they have so many locations, makes it easy. 478 per month is standard

Make sure you get some good quality protein into you post training, and if you dont want to change your diet, use some Protein powder, preferably WPI (whey protein isolate)

You will be sore for a few days, that is a good thing it shows you broke down the muscle tissue which is the goal of the gym, you will gain strength and size from the recovery (sleep and eat well)

Make sure you stretch the muscles out over the week to retain flexability.

Good luck!

We got some WPI, but what are the reasons for me to use it? I don't know much about diet and that, so what would it do for me?

Johnny Canuck
28th June 2010, 10:59 PM
Pup, very simply: Protein is the "building block" for muscles. During a workout, you are breaking down your body, in particular muscles and cells. After a workout, protein is needed to help the repair process. Get some in you within 45min.

ParMaster
28th June 2010, 11:06 PM
Ok cheers mate.

macjackass
30th June 2010, 03:12 PM
Just joined a gym, too. What are some good golf specific excercises?

ParMaster
4th July 2010, 04:27 PM
There was a thread on here about two weeks ago with some MJA.

BTW, are there any good excercises to get rid of the lower flab on my stomach?

:D

Grunt
4th July 2010, 04:59 PM
yeah hard work, ohh that is right you want instant results and not have to work for it :)

ParMaster
4th July 2010, 05:33 PM
I've been eating healthy for 8 months, and lost 20 kilos. I think that is hard work. :D

I'm a healthy weight now but the little bit at the front is REALLY annoying. I just want it to go, and google is no help in giving me a quick fix answer. ;) I'll happily work for it though if there is an answer.

Grunt
4th July 2010, 05:42 PM
Medicine ball sit ups and Russian twists are your friend, good exercise for core strength too.

I have a good group for you to try, the exercises are as follows;

on your back with a medicine ball (weight does not matter, i use a 8kg ball) stretch your legs straight up toward the ceiling, hold the ball above your head and touch your toes.

place your feet flat on the floor knees bent and this time have the medicine ball on your chest, do sit up crunches

Russian twist
In the same pose as above place the ball each side of you touching the ground

in the following sets

12 of each first
10 of each
8 of each

I started off with a 5kg ball and worked up to 8kg

Yossarian
4th July 2010, 06:11 PM
You want to get rid of a little bit of fat just below your stomach?

ParMaster
4th July 2010, 11:35 PM
Just below the belly button.

ParMaster
4th July 2010, 11:36 PM
Medicine ball sit ups and Russian twists are your friend, good exercise for core strength too.

I have a good group for you to try, the exercises are as follows;

on your back with a medicine ball (weight does not matter, i use a 8kg ball) stretch your legs straight up toward the ceiling, hold the ball above your head and touch your toes.

place your feet flat on the floor knees bent and this time have the medicine ball on your chest, do sit up crunches

Russian twist
In the same pose as above place the ball each side of you touching the ground

in the following sets

12 of each first
10 of each
8 of each

I started off with a 5kg ball and worked up to 8kg

I'll give that a go at the gym tomorrow Grunt, tyvm. :)

Johnny Canuck
4th July 2010, 11:42 PM
The only way you'll get rid of fat is cardio.

Zeusgolf
5th July 2010, 12:40 AM
Only way to get rid of fat it to create a calorie deficit between what you eat and what you burn....this can be created by not eating enough (diet), cardio to burn calories and/or weight training which burns calories and also builds muscle, which needs more calories to sustain so your daily expenditure goes up creating a deficit.

There is a a lot of other factors like hormone production after training and increased metabolic rates after eating but......

The best way I have found, its not conventional but certainly works is Intermittent Fasting ("IF")....heaps of people are going to say its BS but the studies and examples shows it works....I have personally increased my lean muscle (got stronger) and now down close to single figure body fat %.....thing to remember for the non believers (conventional nutrition gurus) is your still consuming the same amount of calories over the same time just in a different period of the day....

The best procedure to me for IF is 'leangains' check it out...

http://leangains.blogspot.com/2010/06/intermittent-fasting-and-stubborn-body.html

http://www.leangains.com/

Go and read and learn.....

henno
5th July 2010, 10:52 AM
BTW, are there any good excercises to get rid of the lower flab on my stomach?

You can't really target certain areas to only burn fat there (i.e. you can't just to sit-ups to get rid of a flabby gut, or do steps to get rid of a fat arse.)

You need to reduce your overall bodyfat percentage. Everyone has abs, it's just that most people cover them up under a thick blanket of fat. Eat less and do more (or more accurately, eat better and excercise better).

The only way you'll get rid of fat is cardio.

That's not entirely true, but it won't hurt.

Johnny Canuck
5th July 2010, 11:05 AM
Sorry, it's the easiest and best method to do it.

Zeusgolf
5th July 2010, 11:58 AM
Sorry, it's the easiest and best method to do it.

I read an article which called Cardio a stupid word and i tend to agree....it implies that you are doing an activity which raises your heart rate, thus improving your cardiovascular system....well driving in a race car, sky diving, roller coaster riding and taking drugs can all raise your heart rate but they don't necessarily improve your CS.

The buck stops with your diet...you can run or lift weights until the cows come home but if you eating more than you burn you are going to stay fat....

I'm going to have to say weight training with a little exercise which raises your heart rate over and constant period is the best method for long term 'fat' loss...the more muscle you have the higher your BMR, the more calories you burn, the more likely you will oxidize fat or create a deficit between consumed calories and burn calories. Oh and during a weight session you can burn just as many calories as your would in a cardio session plus an after burn....

Moe Norman
5th July 2010, 07:31 PM
You can't spot reduce Pup, just keep doing what you're doing.

Zeusgolf
5th July 2010, 10:31 PM
You can't spot reduce Pup, just keep doing what you're doing.

yep....

Zeusgolf
5th July 2010, 10:34 PM
There was a thread on here about two weeks ago with some MJA.

BTW, are there any good exercises to get rid of the lower flab on my stomach?

:D

Anyway short answer is...

Eat more food after training and eat less before training...

and

Run................on your days off

Grunt
9th August 2010, 03:23 PM
Anyone a member of Genisis Gyms?
My gym has been taken over by them, they are a Melbourne based gym and are only just now breaking into the Sydney market. Also have some gyms in QLD too.

Anyone got any info, worried that all we will see is higher charges.

Courty
9th August 2010, 06:10 PM
My ball & chain is a member at the local Genesis. Looks like a gym, smells like a gym...

Grunt
9th August 2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks Courty,

It still looks the same.