PDA

View Full Version : Any drills to stop closing the clubface in the backswing?

oncewasagolfer
20th May 2010, 06:00 PM
One of my many faults in my swing is hooding or closing the clubface on the take away which results in a duckhook or block if I come out of the shot. Does anyone know of any drills which could help me keep the clubface squarer? thanks:)

oncewasagolfer
21st May 2010, 08:41 AM
Anyone?

Daves
21st May 2010, 08:43 AM
Anyone?

Impact bag?

razaar
21st May 2010, 08:52 AM
Instead of focusing on what you are doing in the back-swing you should try to articulate what you are doing in the down-swing and through-swing. Best advice is to get a few lessons and ask lots of questions.

Toolish
21st May 2010, 01:48 PM
Lots of rehearsed take aways in the mirror.

Also work out why you are closing it. I fan it open on the backswing sometimes and for me that is a result of my hands moving out instead of back to start the swing and getting off plane. check out your own cause and effect.

virge666
21st May 2010, 11:42 PM
Why is that a problem ?

There are quite a few closed face players on tour . . . and most single plane golfers MUST have the face closed on the takeaway.

oncewasagolfer
24th May 2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the comments guys I looked into getting some lessons the other day but another set of irons turned up today so gunna give them a run tomorrow and see how I go. The realist is saying you need lessons to improve but the inner ho is telling me to keep trying different clubs that is the answer. What to do hehe:D

Hawkers2008
25th May 2010, 12:35 PM
I assume you a whipping the club inside pretty quickly on your bad swings, its one of my faults.

If you are doing that then try swinging with a wall or fence pretty close behind you. You should be far enough away from the wall that you have a couple of inches on a decent swing but close enough to it that you will crash the club into it if you whip the club inside.

You probably want to use an old club for this drill.

oncewasagolfer
25th May 2010, 03:49 PM
I am used to having trees in my backswing but seriously I think you have a point. last year I was working on taking the club away on the outside even over exadurating it to get the right feel it worked for a while but was only a temporary fix.

virge666
25th May 2010, 04:18 PM
I am used to having trees in my backswing but seriously I think you have a point. last year I was working on taking the club away on the outside even over exadurating it to get the right feel it worked for a while but was only a temporary fix.

Guys - Seriously - it doesn't matter. As long as you clubface is closed, you can rip it inside as much as you like. You will just be a little more vertical on the 2nd half of the backswing. Hogan, Moe, Zach Johnson, and many many other all take it way inside and closed on the backswing. The only time it is a problem is when the clubface is open and inside - then you are in real trouble.

Work on impact more and you will find that these pretend problems will go away.

razaar
25th May 2010, 04:35 PM
Once...golfer, where is your wrist facing at the top of your backswing - skywards or to the front or other?