PDA

View Full Version : Qld Mid Amateur - Club Pelican 21-23 August

markTHEblake
10th April 2005, 08:33 PM
I always wonder what the Mid in US Mid Amateur meant, but now i know. It means middle aged has been's, and there is a few of us here.

This is major amateur event available to 9hcap and less and aged 30-54yo, and is the first time such an event is being held in Oz.

the full story is here: http://www.queenslandgolf.org.au/archive/2005/mid-am.htm

This is the bit I like:

As many will have played high-level amateur golf against each other for many years, it is expected that the underlying spirit of the tournament will be one of competitive camaraderie - where players enjoy the social aspect of the tournament off the course as they relish the challenges on the course

in other words - drunkeness and debauchery, and no snotty noses 18yo's spoiling the fun by outdriving old blokes with 3 irons.

This should be a good Ozgolf day - who is in?

1. Marktheblake

CobraSS
10th April 2005, 08:55 PM
And the comp fee is how much???

I was there playing pennants the week before last, and was told the green fees are now $150.

And they have plans to make the course completely private, meaning that a visitor will only get a game their in the future as a members guest. Thus no social players at all. :smt011 :smt013

markTHEblake
10th April 2005, 09:36 PM
they havent announced the fine details yet, like nomination fee.

Its unlikely that it will be anywhere near the Retail Price. If it wasnt hardly anybody would play. Consider the Qld medal which is a fraction of the normal cost to play those courses.

BrisVegas
11th April 2005, 07:52 AM
Assuming it's not too expensive AND I'm not off 10 by then you can count me in.

I always thought the mid-Am was for over 25's in the USA. The reasoning was to keep the College golfers out of the events as many of them were "pro's in waiting" and just destroyed the regular amateurs. Don't believe what you hear about college golfers not getting "paid" either. They get their tuition, accommodation and sponsorships for all their gear. I've even heard of cars being "loaned" to top players for their use through college. Man, sounds like fun! Where do I sign???

markTHEblake
11th April 2005, 09:54 AM
i'll keep an eye on the site and let us know when the nominations are being accepted. I know a bunch of other has beens who will want to be playing in this too.

1. Marktheblake
2. Brisvegas

Boonie
11th April 2005, 03:36 PM
Any of you banana-benders played the course? If so, what is it like?

Might be interested in coming up for this if I can organise the time. Have been hoping some mid-am events would start up in Oz. We in Vic are having our first ever mid-am in October also, I hope the format takes off here like it has in the US and UK

AndyP
11th April 2005, 03:43 PM
Any of you banana-benders played the course? If so, what is it like?
I've played it a few times.

It's a Greg Norman design course. A good amount of water, and a snotload of bunkers.
As is the case with these types of courses, the fairways are pretty generous, but if you miss those then you could be in deep do-do.

Stoney
13th April 2005, 09:46 AM
I will be there for sure, have already booked the holidays and the accomodation.

Been keeping an eye on this event for some time, sounds like it should be great.

I would think that the cost should be reasonble, Aussie Am at Royal Melbourne last year was only $150, Qld Am is only $85, would not expect it to be much more.

1. Marktheblake
2. Brisvegas
3. Stoney

mike
13th April 2005, 09:18 PM
If, now that's a big if, if I get down to 9.4 by 26th July, I'll be there.

Sounds brilliant.

nudgee
14th April 2005, 06:13 AM
Heck this sounds like fun. Count me in

Jamie

Stoney
19th April 2005, 09:18 PM
The QGU has updated the website and advised that entry froms will be available on the 14 May 2005. Still no word on the cost.

markTHEblake
7th June 2005, 07:41 PM
All the tournament details are available now, including entry form and cost.   Its $165 for 3 rounds and a feed on opening night.

Practice rounds are available for the two days prior at $75 (half price)

http://www.queenslandgolf.org.au/midam/index.htm

Entries close 27 July. Field limited to 180,  I think this is going to be a big one, so get in on time.

I think I am going to have to work on the Mrs for this one.  She has forced me to go to Sydney for a week and no golf, and prevented me from playing Nudgee plate, so i reckon i have got some points owing.

So for you blokes interested in playing whats the plan, drive everyday or find somewhere to crash for 2 nights?

Nudgee still doesnt know how to put his name on the timesheet :roll:

1. Marktheblake
2. Brisvegas
3. Stoney
4. Nudgee

AndyP
7th June 2005, 08:00 PM
Practice rounds are available for the two days prior at $75 (half price)
That's disgusting. That was full price for a round there a couple of years ago.

If that's $75 for the two days, that's great value. ;)

CobraSS
8th June 2005, 02:42 PM
You'll get very little (if any) change out of $150 for a round there now.

markTHEblake
27th July 2005, 09:17 PM
Speirsy, what are you doing playing in this, its for old blokes?

I didnt enter, combination of playing crap, and budget tight. The $165 plus petrol and accomadation and meals and debauchery means it's just something that aint gunna happen this time around.

Hope you play well.

Speirsy11
27th July 2005, 09:33 PM
I'm calling tomorrow to find out if they'll take my late entry. Today was the last day, but I just found out about it and hopefully they'll be cool with getting me in......And since I just turned 30, I'm officially old......

Speirsy

BrisVegas
28th July 2005, 06:29 AM
I'm out. :cry:  Can't afford it and can't get out of work.  Have fun you guys that are going.