PDA

View Full Version : No ports avaiable: Internet advice needed.

Johnny Canuck
17th May 2010, 12:32 PM
I've been in my new place for about a month now and have been fighting to get an internet connection.

I put in an app with iinet for Naked DSL. They finally got the line connected to the house and then told me that I could not get Naked or ADSL2+.

I then applied to get basic ADSL and after a week of waiting, they have come back as said that there are no ports available, and I can't get that either.

Optus does not service the area.

If I try and go through TPG, will I be faced with the same situation? There is a 10 to 20 working day wait for applications, so I don't want to wait if I don't have to.

Does anyone have any idea if Telstra would have some lines "reserved" for people that want to go through Telstra or am I totally out of luck?

Johnny Canuck
17th May 2010, 12:41 PM
I have just checked this: http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/viewsuburb.php?Abbrev=STHN RVR RVR and my street and surrounds are all listed as having no ports available. Suggestions?

henno
17th May 2010, 12:42 PM
You're screwed. My mate also bought in a dodgy estate with no ports available. He finally got ADSL this week after almost four years of waiting. I suggest you get on a waiting list as soon as you can.

Johnny Canuck
17th May 2010, 12:57 PM
They don't seem to keep waiting lists. You have to keep applying.

I just found a thread on whirlpool where guys have applied 100+ times.

Any good portable internet deals out there?

bergsey
17th May 2010, 01:35 PM
iiNET have mostly their own equipment now in exchanges so it could be just 'their' gear that doesn't have spare capacity.

I would call Telstra just to check out the situation as they often reserve capacity for themselves that they won't sell off to others

PeteyD
17th May 2010, 01:49 PM
Vodafone Mobile internet if you get reception.

Johnny Canuck
17th May 2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks and thanks.

MegaWatty
17th May 2010, 03:39 PM
PM sent...soon.

Minor_Threat
17th May 2010, 04:54 PM
Telstra "should" make all of there wholesale ports available, but it has been known that they don't always do this. The only way to find out for sure is to apply with Telstra.

If you happen to get a port then churn straight away to the ISP of your choice!