PDA

View Full Version : Qld Medal 27-28 April at Burleigh and Sanctuary Cove(Pines)

markTHEblake
10th April 2005, 08:18 PM
Just heard some late mail that the Qld Medal is undersubscribed and they want more players (approx 80 more) Entries closed last friday, but they will now take late nominations.

Cost is $85 and you get to play a couple of pretty good courses, including the Pines which you can only get on if your a guest of a member or hotel, and then its still $200. Also one of the longest courses around and IMHO the hardest i have ever played.

Handicap Limit is 5.4, and therefore anybody who is "on their lowest handicap ever" surely must not miss this opportunity (while he is still young).

More info here: http://www.queenslandgolf.org.au/events/medal/medalsumm.htm

So Kev, Terry, Matty, Jaster and anyone else are you in? I am.

Jarro
11th April 2005, 03:34 AM
Handicap Limit is 5.4

aren't you a little "underqualified" at the moment :?

Onewood
11th April 2005, 09:01 AM
Handicap Limit is 5.4

aren't you a little "underqualified" at the moment :?

He's got to fix his sig up mate :D Blakey is sitting on 5.1 8) so he can play 3 more rounds before the due date, but then he'll have to play social so he dosent go out any more :lol: :lol:

markTHEblake
11th April 2005, 10:01 AM
which part of "6.1 was" didnt you two understand :roll:
i already fixed it, that is my reminder to myself of how crap i can play.

now as for Kev, how could 4.6 be an all time low when you were on 4.5 last week. Your the one on the upwards trend mate, so you better play the social games. how about a matchplay.......

To get back on Topic, i rang the QGU and they confirmed they are accepting late entries, but want them today (of course they would say that). Cmon Kev this could be your last chance to play in something big.

Onewood
11th April 2005, 11:35 AM
which part of "6.1 was" didnt you two understand :roll:
i already fixed it, that is my reminder to myself of how crap i can play.

now as for Kev, how could 4.6 be an all time low when you were on 4.5 last week. Your the one on the upwards trend mate, so you better play the social games. how about a matchplay.......

To get back on Topic, i rang the QGU and they confirmed they are accepting late entries, but want them today (of course they would say that). Cmon Kev this could be your last chance to play in something big.

I'd love to play you matchplay :evil: but it looks like you're going to whimp on me and wait till I leave :roll: oh well it was nice being in the field :wink:

Still playing club champ's when this one is on...........

and I don't need to trick myself to see how I'm playing :wink: sig fixed :D

markTHEblake
11th April 2005, 11:41 AM
Kev its being played on a Wed-Thur (and friday if you make the cut) I doubt that your playing your championships on the same day.

go on, get your entry in.

and i'll take you on anytime in matchplay, neutral course of course.

Stoney
19th April 2005, 01:14 PM
Mark,

The Draw is out and it looks like you an I are the only ones playing !!!

You GCBGC 10th Tee 8.13am
Me SC(Pines) 10th Tee 11.24am

Good luck, keep me posted on how you go.

Stoney

damoocow
19th April 2005, 01:31 PM
Sorry boys but Kev won't be able to make this one - apparently he is still saving up the $5 footy tipping money to pay me

damoocow

Onewood
19th April 2005, 01:34 PM
Sorry boys but Kev won't be able to make this one - apparently he is still saving up the $5 footy tipping money to pay me

damoocow

Its in the mail :wink: geee I hate sending cash in the mail...bloody thieves :D

markTHEblake
19th April 2005, 05:55 PM
You GCBGC 10th Tee 8.13am
Me SC(Pines) 10th Tee 11.24am

Buggar, i really would have preferred to play SC in the morning, its a mongrel when the wind gets up.

looks like it was a seeded draw, as from what i looked at all the groups consist of players on the same handicap, thats good cos it means i am playing with choppers like me.

markTHEblake
27th April 2005, 02:20 PM
I beat the FAT lady! 79

pretty happy with that, seeings i had the yips again.

greens were very exciting to play on. Only twice chipped off the other side of the green. If you have played Burleigh you willl know what i mean when your chipping down hill.

Looking forward to playing Sanctuary Cove tomorrow. Bigger and safer greens.

markTHEblake
28th April 2005, 09:55 PM
Looking forward to playing Sanctuary Cove tomorrow.  

I cant believe I said that - Sanctuary Cove Pines was 6700metres of sheer HELL. :evil:

I have played there a few times now, but not like this, the course was so wet that even putts were plugging, and the wind didnt help much either.

I dont remember ever needing to hit 3 woods to reach a Par 5, but I did today.

I set myself a personal Par of 81, becuase realistically that was as good as I could do and that is playing to my handicap there anyway (ACR is 76)

I managed to play within myself for most of the round. I had no doubles, or sixes on my card and only a straight away 550m par 5, stood between myself and a Par round, but - here comes the train wreck - a quadruple bogey 9. Didnt take long really, just two quick ones in the water and a reg par with the rest. Finished with 85, and dropped about 50 places in one hole.

There was some spectacular scores out there - including a 106 yesterday.
http://www.queenslandgolf.org.au/events/medal/05scores.htm

Most of the players had mixed emotions - not knowing whether they preferred the lightning fast roller coaster greens of Burleigh, or Sanctuary Coves 430m par 4's and 540m par 5s into the wind with no run.

All things considering I guess its not a case of finishing 215th out of 272, but rather the whole of Queensland, so thats not too bad for an old chopper with crap clubs

The Ozgolfer final results:
Place Total Name 1st 2nd

215 164 BLAKE Mark 79* 85
271 87 STONE Peter 87 DNP

BrisVegas
29th April 2005, 10:51 AM
Spoke with stoney yesterday and he had to withdraw with an injury. He hurt his left wrist/hand trying to play a recovery shot from next to a palm tree on his 4th last hole. Only managed to bunt the ball home for a bunch of doubles and triples. He also commented about how brutal Sanctuary Cove played.

I'll leave the detailed post-round to him. He reckoned that was his worst score in 15 years!