PDA

View Full Version : Tour Equipment Update

kwantfm
10th April 2005, 06:26 PM
Hi all,

For those of you who are interested I thought I'd share my first experience with tour clubs. I have to preface by saying that I am hitting the ball pretty badly at the moment (watch this space)... 30 points today off a 12 handicap...

TM 300 Tour + Speeder 553 Tour Spec... this is one of the best looking drivers I have ever seen. Perfectly square at address. That classic very dark gray of TM yesteryear. Not too big (360 cc). Matches nicely with the metallic blue of the Speeder. Unfortunately my driver swing has completely deserted me. The couple of solid drives I hit were very interesting. This driver does sound different. It makes a dull thud which sounds (and feels) extremely solid. It is as long as any driver I have hit and pretty forgiving (you wouldn't believe how much of the face I was using) The head was 203 grams so slightly heavier than most retail heads. I really need to get used to this driver but I am already very excited. The look, sound and low spin flat trajectory are great. Also this Speeder is a super shaft. Great for my swing speed and tempo (100 mph and smoooth).

TM 13* 200 Tour Ridgie. This was a super heavy head at 218 g (slightly heavier than most 5 woods). Set up at 42.25" with a Fujikura Tour Platform 27.3 and still at D3. I was having a little trouble getting used to this combination. Hit one solid shot which felt good and had the dull muted sound at impact which instills some confidence. I think that the Tour Platform has not been tipped enough. Perhaps I will try a Banzai 0.335 in it.

TM 19* Rescue Mid Tour (3FW) with Fujikura Banzai. This club is mint. Super feel and performance. The best hybrid I have ever used (I've had, at various times in my bag, a retail TM RM 19*, Ping G2-HL, Wishon 321 LI, Nakashima NP-1). The Wishon is a close second.

When I'm swinging normally I'll write again. At this point though I do think there is a bit of a difference between tour issued clubs and retails. I like the sound of the tour clubs much better. Looking forward to some good striking soon to confirm.

Pinglauncher
10th April 2005, 07:03 PM
Good report Kwantfm.

I was waiting to see your thoughts on the 19* TM. I am interested to try a hybrid instead of my 4.5 Solitaire and was considering a TM Rescue Mid, Wishon 321LI to match my 4 in the Wishon or maybe an SMT Avocent when they are released.

How did you find the Bonzai shaft. There have been some very good reports on GEA.

kwantfm
10th April 2005, 07:33 PM
Hi Pinglauncher,

First off... I would have ranked the TM RM Retail at the bottom of my list. Really hated it. It hooked from everywhere and I do not hook the ball (as many guys on this forum would know).

Avocet hasn't arrived yet and we haven't seen any reports. One thing I was disappointed about was that the Avocet is a 0.370" tip. Really should have been a 0.335" tip IMO. The Wishon is a truly great club and I could have purchased many of these for the amount of money it cost to get the RM Tour. Having said that I am happy that I have the tour in the bag.

The Banzai shaft is very, very good. Previously only Wishon's GI-335 graphite shaft seemed to work in hybrids for me (Jono will tell you how much I HATE Irods)... but the Banzai is just that little bit tighter than the Wishon shaft.

McMw
10th April 2005, 10:31 PM
how abt installing the Graffaloy SuperLite (blue/grey tone shaft) in the 13degree...that might help with the weight issue???

kwantfm
11th April 2005, 06:07 PM
Hi McMw,

I want a fairly robust shaft in this fairway wood. Think that tipping it a little and taking the overall length down might fix it. If it doesn't then the Banzai fairway wood shaft will get a turn.

Cheers,
T

Jono
11th April 2005, 09:32 PM
Terence. You have completed your metamorphosis from a humble component HO into a fully fledged, glamourous Tour stuff HO. :wink:

Can I have a go of the 300 next time we play? 8) :lol:

kwantfm
12th April 2005, 08:36 AM
Jono,

Sure no problem. The shaft will be to wimpy for you though.

Cheers,
T