PDA

View Full Version : Scotty Cameron Napa California Limited Edition 2009

TourFit
12th May 2010, 03:25 PM
I just had a customer of mine come in with one of these...

6494 6493

A 2009 Napa California Limited Edition. Brand New. 500 only per year...with different paintfills and headcovers each year etc etc etc

He needed it shortened slightly (to 33.75"). The grip was a pain in the arse to get off. Stuck on with double sided tape, and a two piece grip with underlisting to boot!!!. It was a stitchback type made for SC (similar to the Gripmaster), and I forget the brand name.

It was nice....and when I enquired as to how much he paid for it, his answer was....$750 AUD !!! I just replied that it's nice, but not THAT nice and a copy of an 8802 at that...(he didn't know what that meant!!!). At the end of the day it's just a putter . He seemed hurt ;) He was trying to justify WHY a SC was better...and I was counter-arguing that a SC milled piece of carbon steel cannot POSSIBLY be head and shoulders above anyone else's milled piece of carbon steel. And that WORTH is relative to demand !! People pay these exorbitant prices for a SC because he has the hype/name/marketing.

He also has a Limited Edition Squareback, a one off Tour Issue Proto and his GF has a Newport Fleur De Lis Limited Edition too...

Nice putters, but they sure must have lots of $$$. He was talking about paying $5000 for a SC he saw somewhere.

And he's a young student !!!!

Captain Nemo
12th May 2010, 07:35 PM
Each to their own, horses or courses!
Some guys like beer, some like bourbon.
I'm a fan of Scotty's work more so the way he customises them, even if they are copies of most of Karsten's work!;)

sol381
12th May 2010, 07:47 PM
hype is a wonderful thing. if people think that they will putt better with a scotty than a ping or an odyssey putter than good luck to them. bit over priced for my liking tho. it seems that now all his putters are being made in china that the price could come come considerably.

henno
12th May 2010, 07:49 PM
it seems that now all his putters are being made in china that the price could come come considerably.

Yeah right. They're probably 60% cheaper to make, so we'll see a 10% reduction in price, if at all. I'm backing the latter.

Scotty is an expert at making money, not putters.

sol381
12th May 2010, 08:16 PM
yeah maybe instead of could i meant should. i doubt the price will drop at all.

terrys
12th May 2010, 08:42 PM
hype is a wonderful thing. if people think that they will putt better with a scotty than a ping or an odyssey putter than good luck to them. bit over priced for my liking tho. it seems that now all his putters are being made in china that the price could come come considerably.

what makes you think they are made in China?

Golfnut
12th May 2010, 11:15 PM
The big question TF....can the guy actually putt?

goughy
13th May 2010, 07:07 AM
Can Lorrie Lawrence swim?

TourFit
13th May 2010, 09:16 AM
The big question TF....can the guy actually putt?

Whether he can putt or not is NOT the question...he doesn't seem to care that the Napa is harder to putt with than his squareback...it's a Limited Edition therefore he MUST be able to putt better with a better putter...and he looks better with that better putter too. That seems to be his mindset.

He apparently hits it a long way...he apparently has a great short game (with his rare Vokeys!!) and he can apparently putt. YET HE IS OFF 12.

grandmasterb
13th May 2010, 09:55 AM
HAHAHA i love all the scotty hype, i had a similar "discussion" last weekend with one of the juniors after he rolled my new Lajosi. He was trying to justify to me why his SC was worth $500 and it was better than the KLP yet he hadn't missed a putt with the KLP yet.

SC putters are nice and i've owned/still own a few but like others have said its all about personal preference. If people want to pay the money for a "generic" type putter that is punched out one after another with a well marketed brand then so be it.

Nice putter but i cant see $750 worth!!!

IanO
13th May 2010, 09:57 AM
WOW ... he is a god of golf!! :shock:

Tomson
13th May 2010, 10:14 AM
Oh crap, I didn't know they were such a crap putter... I had better sell all of mine then. Even the ones with scratches on them.

Golfnut
13th May 2010, 10:21 AM
Dibs on the crappy Studio Select Tommo.

grandmasterb
13th May 2010, 10:27 AM
Oh crap, I didn't know they were such a crap putter... I had better sell all of mine then. Even the ones with scratches on them.

I dont think anyone is saying they are "crap" more to the point that at the end of the day they are just another milled bit of steel with stamping/paint with one hell of a marketing campaign which has worked with the cult like following they have.

At the end of the day each individual golfer is going to use what they feel comfortable with to get the ball in the hole ;)

Tomson
13th May 2010, 10:31 AM
I dont think anyone is saying they are "crap" more to the point that at the end of the day they are just another milled bit of steel with stamping/paint with one hell of a marketing campaign which has worked with the cult like following they have.

At the end of the day each individual golfer is going to use what they feel comfortable with to get the ball in the hole ;)

So I should keep them now.. even the scratched ones? :)

grandmasterb
13th May 2010, 10:32 AM

Id sell the scratched ones, just not to Braddles :D

Tomson
13th May 2010, 10:35 AM
Id sell the scratched ones, just not to Braddles :D

Who's braddles? :)

TourFit
13th May 2010, 01:05 PM
Tomson...I know you're a SC ho :)

I was NOT saying that it WASN'T a nice putter BTW. It was great...well balanced, good feel off the face, nice grip. A beautiful putter and a Limited Edition to boot.

My point was that as a clubmaker with his own brand these days...I have seen equivalent products at much lower costs. If the guy can afford/justify it to himself then all kudos to him. From my point of view I wouldn't pay $750 for it...but "worth" is a funny thing. If it is the Limited Edition that causes the price to go up then I would suspect that if you had a one-off then it would be worth a LOT?? I showed him my Lajosi KLP6FN which is (or was) a complete one off as Kari had altered the CNC programming to make it specifically for me. He just looked at it and said "never heard of it...it's not a Scotty though is it?" That is the common perception in the golf industry that the better marketed brands are seen as better - and it's just NOT true at all.

I mentioned to him that based on that he must play Mizuno irons...'cos we know that they are the best...right??? Same argument.

henno
13th May 2010, 01:10 PM

They're too good for a dodgy 20 'capper like you. Go and get a 3-ball SRT.

;-)

Captain Nemo
13th May 2010, 01:15 PM

No, pass a few my way the collecting bug has hit me;)

IanO
13th May 2010, 01:31 PM
Is this a bit of a bargain for the sc ho's? :shock:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Scotty-Cameron-Milled-RED-Nylon-putter-cover-RARE-/150442925618?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Golf_Accessories&hash=item230718de32

or is it a touch overpriced? :mrgreen:

Tomson
13th May 2010, 01:35 PM
They're too good for a dodgy 20 'capper like you. Go and get a 3-ball SRT.

;-)

Actually we were discussing that I should get a boomstick 3ball srt the other day, but that just might bring my 21 marker status down to 15 and we couldn't have the now.

I was NOT saying that it WASN'T a nice putter BTW. It was great...well balanced, good feel off the face, nice grip. A beautiful putter and a Limited Edition to boot.

My point was that as a clubmaker with his own brand these days...I have seen equivalent products at much lower costs. If the guy can afford/justify it to himself then all kudos to him. From my point of view I wouldn't pay $750 for it...but "worth" is a funny thing. If it is the Limited Edition that causes the price to go up then I would suspect that if you had a one-off then it would be worth a LOT?? I showed him my Lajosi KLP6FN which is (or was) a complete one off as Kari had altered the CNC programming to make it specifically for me. He just looked at it and said "never heard of it...it's not a Scotty though is it?" That is the common perception in the golf industry that the better marketed brands are seen as better - and it's just NOT true at all.

I mentioned to him that based on that he must play Mizuno irons...'cos we know that they are the best...right??? Same argument.

Who told you I'm a sc ho.. its all lies. ;) If you said I was a putter ho then thats all true. :mrgreen:

Do I think that a sc makes me putt any better then my odyssey no.7 that I paid $1 for the answer is no. I agree with you totally but I just like to see in forums how people get so worked up about this debate. My answer when people ask me what I think about there clubs "If you're happy with it, and hitting it well, then thats all that matters".

IanO
13th May 2010, 01:38 PM
"If you're happy with it, and hitting it well, then thats all that matters". :smt023:smt098

haysey
13th May 2010, 02:35 PM
Actually we were discussing that I should get a boomstick 3ball srt the other day, but that just might bring my 21 marker status down to 15 and we couldn't have the now.

We were, and you should. Just so I can point and laugh:mrgreen:

As an aside how many 21 handicappers can take a 48" XXstiff 8.5* Callaway and flush it.....off the deck:roll:

Courty
13th May 2010, 07:14 PM
As an aside how many Gorilla's can take a 48" XXstiff 8.5* Callaway and flush it.....off the deck:roll:

I thought that's what you meant. ;)

terrys
13th May 2010, 08:07 PM
Is this a bit of a bargain for the sc ho's? :shock:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Scotty-Cameron-Milled-RED-Nylon-putter-cover-RARE-/150442925618?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Golf_Accessories&hash=item230718de32

or is it a touch overpriced? :mrgreen:

Only 50 made and they were all given to Tour players so in the Scotty collectable world, they are quite collectable. Having said that, it's market value is closer to $500

Veefore
13th May 2010, 08:20 PM

Then my putter must be a limited limited edition as it is one of one and was milled just for me, by the hands of a skilled craftsman. No CNC.
People still look at it and say "but it isn't a scotty cameron, is it?"

IanO
13th May 2010, 08:29 PM
I am still trying out different putters and when I work out what's best for me I am heading back to my mate Kari for a very special Lajosi just for me =P~

CanuckDownUnder
10th June 2010, 09:07 AM
My H’Cap is a reflection of my putting ,some rare sand duffage and no confidence on either. Mostly on in two and then almost having a conniption on the greens from course to course. When playing bigger courses with faster greens I fare better than the smaller and slower ones. I have been going through putters like my underwear(mostly mallets/mid mallets). Not feeling anything I’ve tried recently. Now getting lessons on my putting and sand game .

With that being said if the limited edition Cameron will give you more confidence than a garage sale reject then so be it. Most importantly is to get lessons.

And my question is :Why don’t most pro’s use run of the mill cheapo putters themselves?

I’m going almost full circle with the type of clubs I used when I was a lot younger (napa or newport style putter, forged blades and heavy and heavier shafted woods). I scored better then and am now creeping back in that direction. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side especially when you’re a bit older and somehow convince yourself you need age or handicap appropriate equipment. I think I’ll stick with what doesn’t need fixing…

I prolly bought up to 2 napa's already with the ho'ing I've done with my putters