PDA

View Full Version : Qld: AndyP v Tex (Rd 2 2010)

AndyP
11th May 2010, 03:14 PM
AndyP vs Tex
Handicaps: 12 (11.8) vs 25 (25) - 13 shots
Head to head: No previous meetings
Ozgolf Matchplay Journeyman vs OZgolf Matchplay Newbie
Consistent vs Erratic

2010 Rd 1 matches:
AndyP d Rusty 4/3, after 3 squared matches
Tex d Moe Norman 6/4

The date/venue isn't confirmed yet, but it is almost definitely going to be on Wed-Fri next week. I'm waiting on Tex's confirmation before starting a first tee thread.

I've never given this many shots to anyone before. In fact most of my recent matches have been even or I've been given a few shots.

Eag's
11th May 2010, 03:18 PM
Well hopefully there will be a result this time around ;)

Tex
11th May 2010, 03:32 PM
Alright looking forward to this, I am sure to give away a few holes with my obligatory 8-10's but reckon I can squeeze out a par or two, maybe even one of those birdie things you people talk about on here to win the odd hole. I will be happy to avoid something worse than 8 and 7 :)

BURGLARS UNITE!

AndyP
11th May 2010, 03:52 PM
1st Tee thread for round: http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/18860-Gailes-GC-Wednesday-May-19-approx-9-00am

Well hopefully there will be a result this time around ;)
No guarantees from me.

Jarro
12th May 2010, 07:45 AM
What money a draw ?

PeteyD
12th May 2010, 09:44 AM
5-1 on. Particularly if AP is dormie 2. :D

AndyP
12th May 2010, 10:00 AM
At least I haven't lost from dormie 2.

;)

Tex
12th May 2010, 10:33 AM
5-1 on. Particularly if AP is dormie 2. :D

That's the way gentlemen, psych him out early.

:smt108

AndyP
19th May 2010, 03:15 PM
I've just walked in the door, so I'll just give the final score and more detail later.

AndyP wins 3 and 1.

PeteyD
19th May 2010, 03:41 PM
What? No Replay?

Tex
19th May 2010, 04:02 PM
I slipped Iain a fiddy to kill him on the 18th... but he missed.

Eag's
19th May 2010, 04:27 PM
Congrats AP, bad luck Tex.

AndyP
19th May 2010, 07:19 PM
After seeing Tex destroy Moe at Wyynum, I was a bit worried that I would have no control over the result of this match. But I also knew he was very capable of having terrible holes. My gameplan was to avoid horror holes myself, and give myself a chance to par holes as much as possible.

F9 - A - - A A T - -
B9 T T A A - A T A
AndyP 3 and 1

Despite our plans to avoid bunkers we both found them on the first hole, which we halved. I got up to 3up through 6 holes, with pars on all three won holes, and bogeys were enough to square on the others.

Tex got on the board with a bogey win on the 7th, and we squared the next two to have me at 2up at the halfway mark.

Tex started the back nine with back to back pars and wins to have the match at all square through 11. I knew his good holes would come sooner or later, but was disappointed to see my "buffer" disappear so quickly. However, Tex gave that buffer straight back to me over the next two holes due to bunker troubles. 14 is halved and I'm 2up with 4 to play.

15 - Both Tex and I put our drives just into the right trees about a metre apart. I get mine safely just short of the green on a long par 4, while Tex pops his hybrid up through the trees and leaves himself 60m in. He hits his shot way too long into the back bunker and makes a bit of a mess of a shot hole, so my chip-putt-putt for bogey is enough to get it to Dormie 3. Of course, at this point, there is some discussion about tying the match from here.

16 - I drag my drive into the left trees, while Tex smokes his, then backs it up with a great approach and two putts, although making the par putt a bit of a tester, to bring it to Dormie 2 (shot hole).

17 - No shot for Tex. Tex hits another drive down the middle on this short par 4, while I also find the centre with an iron. I hit my first green for ages with the approach, putting the pressure back on Tex and he misses. Tex can't manage a bogey to put some more pressure on my putting, and I win the hole with par and the match 3 and 1.

I don't think I did anything special to win the match, but I was never behind and believe I put myself in positions to keep the pressure on Tex and won holes when I needed to. I think Tex just needs to play some holes a bit smarter and get himself in a position to bogey more often. He just gives too many holes away.

Thanks for the match, Tex, and I'm glad you enjoyed the matchplay experience.

PeteyD
19th May 2010, 07:58 PM
Nice anit-choke AP!

Daves
19th May 2010, 10:34 PM
Congrats Andy, commis. Tex.

AndyP
20th May 2010, 09:06 AM
Bring it ornnnnn P.Epic!

If memory serves me correct we have not played matchplay before.True.

Note. I am booked in for hernia surgery next Friday and that will rule me out of golf for a month or so.DQ. Who's next?

We have plenty of time and we'll discuss after your recovery.

AndyP
20th May 2010, 09:10 AM
Meh, I'm in no rush, unless you really think it will be a problem playing later on.

Tex
20th May 2010, 09:45 AM
Nice right up Andy, very kind. The 15th I was next right next to a 72m mark hit my 60* and when it left the club it felt like my best shot of the day - from my line in fell straight down the flag stick but 12m long into the bunker, dissapointing as it was - DON'T GO IN BUNKERS! Good luck Richard! Good luck Andy!

Lucasto23
20th May 2010, 10:43 AM
unlucky tex, well done andy

AndyP
20th May 2010, 12:30 PM
bad luck Tex.

Bad luck Texy.

unlucky tex
Luck is over-rated.

If you got a spare day next week or this weekend lets roll..if not, no biggie.We'll leave it for now. I can't do the weekend, and I'm reluctant to have another work day off next week.

Tex
20th May 2010, 01:02 PM
Luck is over-rated.

Recall your second shot on the 5th and try saying that again with out smiling ;)

AndyP
20th May 2010, 01:06 PM
The bounce back out of the trees on 10 was better.

AndyP
20th May 2010, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I haven't lost in my last 11 matches. I'm laying multiple eggs.

henno
20th May 2010, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I haven't lost in my last 11 matches. I'm laying multiple eggs.

That's only because 9 of them were ties with Rusty.

AndyP
20th May 2010, 02:19 PM
Get out of my victory thread. All of you!

PeteyD
20th May 2010, 03:04 PM
HAHA!!

Jarro
20th May 2010, 03:46 PM
Nice non-tie AndeePee