PDA

View Full Version : Lift Ozgolf Lift

Jono
11th May 2010, 09:58 AM
Since distance running and cycling have gained popularity amongst Ozgolfers, I thought it might be interesting to see how many Ozgolfers regularly train with weights.

I have been weight training consistently for about 6 months now in my garage gym. Not so much to look good, but to be stronger. My personal trainer teaches strongman stuff (eg. log bar lifting, Atlas Stone lifting, Farmers walk, Yoke walk, tyre flipping etc). His training style is similar to the famous Defranco gym in US. Whilst he trains the big guys who compete, he also trains the average Joes like me. I have gained significant strength during this time and aim to be stronger, more powerful and faster by end of the year. As for cardio, I started going to Crossfit classes once a week. I absolutely hate these (in a good way)

I'm mainly training low reps except on conditioning sessions like Crossfit classes and kettlebell sessions. I want strength and power, not hypertrophy. I don't lift to failure except on maximal lift. I train about 4 times a week which includes 1 hour personal training session and if I have Saturdays off, I join in with the big guys with their strongman training.

Any Ozgolf lifters here? What kind of program do you do?

Jarro
11th May 2010, 10:01 AM
I used to do a lot of lifting on my home-gym setup .... mainly just benchpress and arm curls, that kind of stuff.

It did the trick though and i got a lot stronger, but i couldn't keep myself motivated to keep doing it :roll:

Good luck Jono, sounds like you're really keen on this one.

What is it with you Koreans and powerlifting anyway ? ;)

Jono
11th May 2010, 10:08 AM
What is it with you Koreans and powerlifting anyway ? ;)

Ha ha, my personal trainer calls me the Korean Gorilla.

Jarro, get a training partner. Really helps with motivation.

AndyP
11th May 2010, 10:09 AM
My garage is always too cluttered with crap the missus puts in there to get to the weights bench. I might do one or two sessions a week, once I get some stuff in the soon-to-be built shed. Although I think core strength stuff without weights would be more beneficial to me from a running perspective.

What happened to this? http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/11422-Walk-Ozgolf-Walk

goughy
11th May 2010, 10:21 AM
I need to do some to build my power. But too lazy too. Mostly I would do multi movement exercises or high rep/low weight with no breaks between sets to up the cardo aspect of it, and to keep muscle building down a bit.

Eag's
11th May 2010, 10:22 AM
I used to use weights quite often, but these days I am just a lazy bastard.

ParMaster
11th May 2010, 03:47 PM
Something tells me Davepuppies does (considering he is a bodybuilder/ex-bodybuilder).

;)

Zeusgolf
11th May 2010, 05:00 PM
Yep I do crossfit stuff...

There is a bit of a crossfit revolution here in WA because of the SAS barracks being over here....

Anyway check this out...these guys interview you to see if you qualify to join their gym....

http://themillgym.com/ if you goto media down the bottom then video on bottom left check out the 2010 video....

Grunt
11th May 2010, 05:16 PM
All sorts of combinations are used by myself for my paddle training. My sessions are more endurance based they are light weight high reps. I am struggling for motivation at the moment due to the fact my hours mean i have to go to the gym in peak times and the place is full of the roid using meat heads.

Moe Norman
11th May 2010, 06:52 PM
I have a squat rack downstairs and a benchpress. The squat rack alos allows for seated rows, lat pulldowns etc.

I used to use it heaps when I was playing serious Rugby, but it went unused for a while. Now using it again twice a week as part of my regime to lose weight, I started doing it again because it helps with not getting bored.

I can't squat or do leg sessions at the moment due to the stress fractures, so I just do a chest/tri session and a back/bi session. Not lifting heavy weights like I used to, just doing 3 x 10's on most exercises at basic weights.

Zeusgolf
11th May 2010, 07:04 PM
I have a squat rack downstairs and a benchpress. The squat rack alos allows for seated rows, lat pulldowns etc.

I used to use it heaps when I was playing serious Rugby, but it went unused for a while. Now using it again twice a week as part of my regime to lose weight, I started doing it again because it helps with not getting bored.

I can't squat or do leg sessions at the moment due to the stress fractures, so I just do a chest/tri session and a back/bi session. Not lifting heavy weights like I used to, just doing 3 x 10's on most exercises at basic weights.

A squat rack and an adjustable bench is the best bit of kit you can buy...the ones with a upper and lower cable are even better

You can bench/incline on it, military/shoulder press and dead lift or row from it...

Moe Norman
11th May 2010, 07:44 PM
yeah, it's a good bit of gear. I don't do deadlifts anymore as I have had back problems for years and my technique isn't up to it unless I have a training partner

I actually want to hang a boxing bag in the backyard, as the mrs won't let me have one under the house as its too noisy and wakes the kids up.

henno
11th May 2010, 07:45 PM
A Power Rack is the first thing I'll be buying, once I have a garage big enough to store the thing.

Zeusgolf
11th May 2010, 08:06 PM
A Power Rack is the first thing I'll be buying, once I have a garage big enough to store the thing.

Yep thats what i mean...you can do everything from them...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/baulko_bulldog/Power%20Rack%20System/PowerRackSystemExercises1.jpg

http://www.nellies.com/images/T/POWERTEC%20POWER%20RACK.jpg

ParMaster
11th May 2010, 10:10 PM
For only 500 dollars?! Awesome price.

grandmasterb
11th May 2010, 10:21 PM
Have trained for the past 10years for various sports.

Are you in Vic Jono???

ParMaster
11th May 2010, 10:44 PM
Jono is in Wollongong GMB.

goughy
12th May 2010, 05:47 AM
For only 500 dollars?! Awesome price.

It's all $1000! The standing power rack is $500, and the seated thingy is $500. Still pretty good for a free weights setup if you ask me. I've never been a fan of machines. I've always preferred the extra effort in having to also control the weights.

Jono
12th May 2010, 08:27 AM
It's all $1000! The standing power rack is $500, and the seated thingy is $500. Still pretty good for a free weights setup if you ask me. I've never been a fan of machines. I've always preferred the extra effort in having to also control the weights.

If I had thousand dollars and I wanted to set up a home gym, I'd just get a $200 second hand squat rack and invest the rest on some kettlebells, second hand olympic bumper plates and olympic bar, big earthmover tyre (can get this for free second hand), sledge hammer, and some rubber floor mats.

You don't need lat pull down or seated row machine. Easily replaced by chin ups (can use resistance bands to assist) and bent over rows.

Jono
14th May 2010, 09:39 AM
Have trained for the past 10years for various sports.

Are you in Vic Jono???

Mate, I'm in Wollongong. I got my kettlebells and few other stuff from Rick (Australian Kettlebells) in Melbourne.

Jono
14th May 2010, 09:43 AM
Just did my PB in deadlift yesterday ... 205kg. Aiming for 230kg by end of the year.

Bench press PB yesterday too. 105kg. Aim 120kg by end of the year.

80kg clean and jerk with a log bar. Aim 100kg by end of the year.

10 tyre flips with 210kg tyre. Loving it ...

goughy
14th May 2010, 12:25 PM
I couldn't bench press 60kg's. But I can lift a lounge chair over my head :)

solarman
14th May 2010, 12:39 PM
There's are establishments in CBD's on most corners that's let you curl 375g. Depending on how fast you drink (determines number of reps) and how many you have (number of sets) can determine your strength and size.
Make sure that you do both arms though. You don't want 1 bicep bigger than the other.
I'm into schooners and pints nowadays as I am pushed for time.

Jono
14th May 2010, 01:16 PM
I couldn't bench press 60kg's. But I can lift a lounge chair over my head :)

Good. You are on your way to functional strength training. Now, with the lounge chair over your head, do a deep squat. Voila! You have overhead squat. 8)

ParMaster
14th May 2010, 04:24 PM
Just did my PB in deadlift yesterday ... 205kg. Aiming for 230kg by end of the year.

What's a deadlift Jono? 205kg sounds cwaazy (but then again I don't know what it is).

sms316
15th May 2010, 06:48 AM
What's a deadlift Jono? 205kg sounds cwaazy (but then again I don't know what it is).

Picking the weight off the ground and lifting it to about groin height. 205kg is pretty damn impressive.

Moe Norman
15th May 2010, 06:53 PM
You don't need lat pull down or seated row machine. Easily replaced by chin ups (can use resistance bands to assist) and bent over rows.

Even at my strongest in my early 20's, the most chinups I could do was 7. I can't do one now, so I definitely need the lat pull down etc.

Yossarian
15th May 2010, 07:51 PM
What is with that? My mate who is an absolute unit can barely do a chin up but can bench double his weight ect ect. I can barely bench my weight but can do at least 20 chin ups?

goughy
15th May 2010, 08:50 PM
I couldn't do one I reckon! Though, years ago when I lost out on a job I really wanted I managed to do 13.

bergsey
15th May 2010, 11:41 PM
What is with that? My mate who is an absolute unit can barely do a chin up but can bench double his weight ect ect. I can barely bench my weight but can do at least 20 chin ups?

different muscle groups... chin ups target lats (back) and bench press chest (front)

Jono
16th May 2010, 12:33 AM
Even at my strongest in my early 20's, the most chinups I could do was 7. I can't do one now, so I definitely need the lat pull down etc.

Why would you want to do any more than 7 reps if your aim is to increase strength? But if you wanted to, you can get a resistence band for $30 and do assited chin ups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGBi2tNBPtQ

Jono
16th May 2010, 01:01 AM
Had a great training session with the guys this morning. Did a medley of following exercises:

1) 200kg prowler push for 15m (what is a prowler push? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ4BckFAgNw&feature=related )
2) Big Tyre flip for 15m (what is tyre flip? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvC5wPbLVnM )
3) 100kg backward sled drag for 15m (what is backward sled drag? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrHG6UxYNz4&feature=related )
4) 10 swings with 28kg kettlebell (what is kettlebell swing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h1QcHTkwdI )

Takes about 1 minute 30 seconds but it's a killer. Nearly vomitted after my first run at it. :shock:

Jono
16th May 2010, 01:06 AM

Pup, it's basically as sms described. You keep the arms straight and shoulders down. The lift is made by straightening the legs and locking out the hips. IMO, it's the most fundamental strength exercise. Doing heavy deadlifts and kettlebell swings is good place to start towards building a strong and powerful posterior chain (ie lower back, glutes, hams, calves).

Yossarian
16th May 2010, 02:34 AM
Because you are one cut dude yoss

Cheers. You are not so bad yourself.

Zeusgolf
16th May 2010, 02:44 AM
This is strong......

Love the muscle ups...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfsTKfUT-RQ&feature=fvw

Moe Norman
16th May 2010, 08:07 AM

I was benching 3 x 6 of 135kg when I could do 7 chinups, and I weighed 105kg. These are proper wide arm, palm out chinups though. I could do 20+ of the cheating palm in narrow grip variety.

Why would you want to do any more than 7 reps if your aim is to increase strength?

Did you miss the bit where I said I can't do ONE now?

Jono
16th May 2010, 09:21 AM
This is strong......

Love the muscle ups...

Those ghetto workouts on youtube are great! I can't believe how easily he does the muscle up. And the human flag is awesome.

Moe, just try to do 1 rep and do 10 sets. If you can't do 1 rep, then do a partial rep. You'll gradually build your strength up again. When I started training again this time, I couldn't do 1 chin up either. Now, I can do 7-8. I didn't do any lat pulldowns. If you have a chance, drop by the Crossfit gym in Brisbane. http://www.crossfitbrisbane.com/ You won't find any lat pulldown machines there.

Zeusgolf
16th May 2010, 04:27 PM
Those ghetto workouts on youtube are great! I can't believe how easily he does the muscle up. And the human flag is awesome.

Moe, just try to do 1 rep and do 10 sets. If you can't do 1 rep, then do a partial rep. You'll gradually build your strength up again. When I started training again this time, I couldn't do 1 chin up either. Now, I can do 7-8. I didn't do any lat pulldowns. If you have a chance, drop by the Crossfit gym in Brisbane. http://www.crossfitbrisbane.com/ You won't find any lat pulldown machines there.

Yep I started with about 3 chins out now I can do 20 for the first set then 3 more sets of 10...still training so i can do the muscle ups just cant get the transition from the top of the chin to the dip...can do the dips no prob...

Peter
16th May 2010, 04:47 PM
Jono,

From what little I've seen of Crossfit it seems like there is a big emphasis placed on speed and little focus on maintaining good form. I would think that this could be dangerous for people who are training to fatigue, especially when some of the exercises involve heavy weights?

Tongueboy
16th May 2010, 07:19 PM
do negative reps and burn

Jono
16th May 2010, 09:13 PM
Jono,

From what little I've seen of Crossfit it seems like there is a big emphasis placed on speed and little focus on maintaining good form. I would think that this could be dangerous for people who are training to fatigue, especially when some of the exercises involve heavy weights?

Are you talking about things like kipping pull ups?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7spRknkD1hU

Peter
16th May 2010, 09:23 PM
I had no problem with those, more the time-trial like nature of the programs when performing exercises like deadlifts under fatigue. I guess it's up to each person to get the right balance between speed and form.

Jono
16th May 2010, 09:26 PM
Yep I started with about 3 chins out now I can do 20 for the first set then 3 more sets of 10...still training so i can do the muscle ups just cant get the transition from the top of the chin to the dip...can do the dips no prob...

I am not even close to doing a muscle up so I can't help you there. One suggestion, have you tried doing a kipping pull up to get your chest above the bar? From there, it would be a simple dip, wouldn't it?

Jono
16th May 2010, 09:32 PM
I had no problem with those, more the time-trial like nature of the programs when performing exercises like deadlifts under fatigue. I guess it's up to each person to get the right balance between speed and form.

Yeah, you are right. I think it would be the case with any time trial competitions where heavy weights are involved.

Zeusgolf
17th May 2010, 01:23 AM
I am not even close to doing a muscle up so I can't help you there. One suggestion, have you tried doing a kipping pull up to get your chest above the bar? From there, it would be a simple dip, wouldn't it?

Just saw the vid...had a go a few weeks back and couldn't get the hang of it but going to try tomorrow..

Yes the dip part is easy I been doing dips using same grip width as chins and straight bar for a while now, can easily get 15 reps out on the first set...

markTHEblake
17th May 2010, 10:54 PM

:shock: is that once or a set of 10? Either way you hot me licked, i can barely bench press the bar! :smt087

Jono
18th May 2010, 03:50 PM
:shock: is that once or a set of 10? Either way you hot me licked, i can barely bench press the bar! :smt087

Mark, that's just one rep (ie. my one rep max).

Jono
18th May 2010, 03:54 PM
Here's some pics from the Saturday morning session 2 weeks ago.

I think that was about 90kg. The big guys were lifting 120-150kg. :shock:

Moe Norman
18th May 2010, 03:57 PM

Seems a bit expensive for another fad indoctrination process!

The only gym I'd ever get involved in is Gym Jones, and I doubt they'll be setting up shop in Brisbane any time soon.

Jono
18th May 2010, 04:03 PM
I don't think Crossfit is perfect, but for conditioning, it's very good.

The point is, I think it's better to do real world exercises whenever possible.

Moe Norman
18th May 2010, 04:06 PM
how often do you pick up large 90kg concrete balls in the real world?

Jono
18th May 2010, 04:25 PM
how often do you pick up large 90kg concrete balls in the real world?

Look at this way. When civilisation ends, I'll still be able to do my chin ups and stone lifts, but you'll be struggling to do your lat pull downs. 8)

markTHEblake
18th May 2010, 08:42 PM
Here's some pics from the Saturday morning session 2 weeks ago.

Your garage roof seems taller!

Jono
24th May 2010, 09:46 PM
I've had the flu for a week. :cry:

Still not quite right yet but hoping to start training later this week.

Jono
31st May 2010, 12:08 PM
I competed in my first novice strongman competition on Saturday. It was a last minute decision to enter because of my recent flu and my goal was just to finish the event.

It started with a medley consisting of 180kg yoke carry, 90kg (each hand) farmer's walk, 70kg duck walk, and 70kg keg carry. This was over the distance of 15m each. I struggled with the yoke carry but the rest was OK.

Next event was 70kg log bar clean and press for 70 seconds. In practice, I could do 6-7 reps but after the first medley event, my legs were pretty shaky. I could only manage 4 reps.

Another medley followed next. This was again over 15m each. 200kg prowler push, 200kg tyre flips, 160kg sled pull and 10 kettlebell swings. I did a bit better in this event than the first medley but the tyre flip was a killer. Really hits the legs hard and by the time you make the transition to the sled pull, you can hear some interesting swear words.

Next was axle deadlift. The axle bar is about 55mm thick, over double the diameter of a normal olympic bar. Really hard to grip for someone with small hands like myself. There was a filled up tyre each side and weight plates at the ends. My best lift was 170kg which was pretty good for me considering the thickness of the bar.

After this was probably the toughest event for me ... the Atlas Stone lift. You had to put 5 stones up on 5 platforms. 80kg stone on 150cm platform, 95kg stone on 135cm, 97kg on 120cm, 100kg on 110cm and 105kg on 100cm. I was going OK until the last stone. My legs were pretty shaky by then and I failed to get the 105kg stone up twice. The crowd was cheering me on and somehow I got it up there on my third try. It left a nasty bruise on my tummy and my forearms were skinned raw but I was filled with euphoria.

I came fourth out of 5 competitors in my under 90kg weight division but I achieved my goal of finishing the event. 8)

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/222/logbar.th.jpg (http://img704.imageshack.us/i/logbar.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

AndyP
31st May 2010, 12:12 PM
Wow!

BrisVegas
31st May 2010, 12:16 PM
holy cow Jono! That's amazing stuff. Congratulations!

Grunt
31st May 2010, 01:45 PM
Good work Jono

Are you wearing golf shoes in the pic?

Jono
2nd June 2010, 12:07 AM
Grant, those are my weight lifting shoes. The soles are made of wood and don't give like the sneaker soles.

Eag's
2nd June 2010, 12:19 AM
Great stuff Jono or should we start calling you "Jono the Giant" ;)

ParMaster
2nd June 2010, 03:11 PM
Amazing effort Jono!

Jono
29th December 2010, 12:11 PM

After 6 months of ongoing lower back pain, I finally got a CT scan. It shows a large L5/S1 disc herniation and a mild one at L4/L5.

I've stopped doing all exercises that hurt my back (deadlift, heavy squats, atlas stone etc). Mainly doing some upper body stuff, and started swimming.

I can still swing a golf club but I've lost about 30 meters ... perhaps I'll start hitting it straighter ... LOL.

Just done 110 kg bench yesterday ... Not quite the 120kg I was aiming for but I'm just happy that I can do it without aggrevating my back.

That leads me to the question, are there any weight lifters here with a prolapsed disc? What kind of rehab work did you do?

Besides swimming, I've been doing some stretches and traction/decompression which seems to help. I want to avoid surgery as much as possible.

razaar
29th December 2010, 12:42 PM
Jono

Stretching and discontinuing any heavy lifting that compresses the spine is the answer. There are plenty of tough exercises that get to muscle failure without using weights. An example is martial arts squats - holding a full squat, half squat and 3/4 squat position for 1 minute each for a total of 3 minutes. Gradually increase the time to a total of 9 minutes which is superstar status.

Prolapsed dics are the result of muscle imbalances (right side/left side) which can't be corrected with bar weights. You may need to get assessed by a professional in human movements to identify the weaknesss and correction work necessary to restore balance.

Moe Norman
30th December 2010, 10:57 PM
Jono,

I was never a 'weight lifter' - but in my Rugby days I pushed some serious steel 3 times a week.

I have always avoided dead lifts and usually use a smith machine for squats, I had terrible back trouble from cricket in my teens.

The best thing I've ever done for my back is pilates, which is not as manly as weight lifting - but very effective for your core. As they say, if you are doing the exercises properly and have a strong core - you shouldn't hurt your back!

Jono
2nd November 2011, 12:28 PM
I've been training with a couple of personal trainers every Monday at my house. Owner of a personal training business called VO2 Vitality put a video clip together showing some of the stuff we do. Up to 2:44 is at my house, after that is at a commercial gym where he trains his clients.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iSmMSflw9c&feature=player_embedded

This clip shows sled pull, prowler relay, prowler rope pull followed by prowler sprint, atlas stone lift, tackler machine and tyre flips. All functional exercises. My favourite conditioning exercise is the prowler relay. You keep going as people start dropping out until only 2 remain. Your legs start shaking, your out of breath ... it really tests you physically and mentally. Couple of guys have thrown up after the prowler relay.

You can see on the video that the timber on the platform hadn't been laid out yet. The timber has been glued on and sanded. I have to give it a coat of laquer and it's ready to go. Still waiting on my custom made power rack and a monkey bar for chin ups. Then my home gym is pretty much finished. 8)

timah!
2nd November 2011, 12:33 PM
Custom made power rack?

Grunt
2nd November 2011, 12:48 PM
Noice Jono. I am off to a session with my PT this afternoon.

3oneday
2nd November 2011, 01:37 PM
Noice Jono. I am off to a session with my PT this afternoon.

I have mine after golf every Satdy. Sometimes I even lift the beer with my left hand ;)

Jarro
2nd November 2011, 01:40 PM
Bloody hell Jono !!!!

You better look after yourself if you're going to continue lifting ridiculous weights like that :shock:

Jono
2nd November 2011, 02:32 PM
Custom made power rack?

Yep. It's being put together and will hopefully be finished by end of November.

It's similar to the Base Camp power rack by Sorinex.

http://store.sorinex.com/Base_Camp_Rack_UBER_Package_p/base-2.htm

Jono
2nd November 2011, 02:33 PM
Bloody hell Jono !!!!

You better look after yourself if you're going to continue lifting ridiculous weights like that :shock:

I'm not lifting big weights any more. Focussing more on conditioning and mobility.

I haven't been doing much gym stuff since June but starting to get back into it now. Hoping to lose a bit of weight in the next 3 months.

Eag's
2nd November 2011, 03:34 PM
Lay off the raw meat you brute ;)

Matt 3 Jab
3rd November 2011, 09:11 AM
Crossfit for me, about 4-6 times a week.

Cant get enough of it, it is hands down the best fitness IF you are after total fitness, meaning cardio / strength / flex / etc

Peter - go along to a class, there is usually 15 to 20 mins focused on technique alone, and if you leave your ego at the door, there is no reason to be lifting any more than your technique can

Last night one was of the best WOD's ive done, being - 1.6km run - 6 rounds of (5 x wall walks and 20 overhead plate situps @ 10kg) - 1.6km run, for time

i did it in 42:40, i was way off the pace but i was hurting.

Jono
3rd November 2011, 09:58 AM
Matt, Crossfit is great but I think it's good to also supplement it with other types of training. For instance, Crossfit Norwest at Castlehill has also started to implement strongman training as of 6 months ago. About half a dozen of them came down to Wollongong to compete in the novice strongman competition. The following video clip was one of the events at the competition where I was up against one of the crossfit guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYlDsyz8Gdg

The other thing that crossfit lacks, IMO, if rotational power movements which is ideal for golf.

Matt 3 Jab
3rd November 2011, 10:04 AM
100% jono, it does lack in some areas, but my main goal and what suits me best is the mix of the cardio and strength. As im active all day, ive noticed it helps alot with my energy levels.

I'll have to make a trip down to the gong for a workout!

Also, as for lack of rotational power, its a good thing i dont play golf anymore lol

just
7th November 2011, 09:21 PM
Jono
Is the prowler yours? What equipment do you have at home?

Jono
7th November 2011, 10:12 PM
Jono
Is the prowler yours?

Yeah, mate. My gym equipment is made by a local guy. www.rocksolidfitness.com.au

Not cheap but he uses thick steel and his welding quality is second to none.

What equipment do you have at home?

Ask me what I don't have ... ;)

I'll do a video tour of my home gym soon.

just
7th November 2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks mate, that would be cool!

Peter
8th November 2011, 08:13 AM
Jono,

Are those sleds doing any damage to your driveway?

Jono
8th November 2011, 11:37 AM
Jono,

Are those sleds doing any damage to your driveway?

No, there is a layer of hard plastic polymer on the base so it doesn't scratch the driveway too much.

BTW, the guys that have trained at my house call it "the driveway from hell". ;)

henno
23rd March 2013, 12:13 AM
http://i.imgur.com/nBNVvXY.jpg

Any Ozgolfers still lifting?

I recently joined a new gym you actually have to attend a try-out for and be invited as a member. It's a powerlifting/strongman type gym at which I am close to the oldest person there, if not the oldest. So far I have set a new PB of a 100% spew-rate (actually over 100% as I have puked more than once on a few occasions) and I am yet to train with someone that is not a professional athlete or an aspiring professional athlete. This week I trained with a crew of people of which I was the only one who isn't part of the Australian gridiron team. 'Twas intense to say the least.

There're some pics and videos here: https://www.facebook.com/ElitePerformanceGym

(https://www.facebook.com/ElitePerformanceGym)So who else is still moving iron around?

henno
23rd March 2013, 12:17 AM
His training style is similar to the famous Defranco gym in US.

You would flippin' love this gym, Jono.

Waddzy
23rd March 2013, 07:26 AM
I hit the gym 4-5 times a week , used to be all weights , I.e 5 day split with back , chest , legs , shoulders and arms but recently pulled that back into a 3 day split combined bi's with chest and tris with back to free up the spare days for interval training cardio or crossfit every so often... Stopped playing rugby 2 seasons ago and started working in an office so I started watching fat stay on me... where as work and rugby was all the cardio I used to need..

Jono
1st April 2013, 12:02 PM
You would flippin' love this gym, Jono.

just saw your post. Oh yeah baby, THAT is what I call a gym! 8)

I had surgery to my torn rotator cuff 4 weeks ago. Still in a sling which comes off in 2 weeks. No weights (other than rehab stuff) for another 5 months though ... :(

I've been walking and doing simple bodyweight squats and I've been on a weight loss diet. I'm trying to lose some fat while I can't do any heavy lifting. My weight has gone from 90kg to 75kg but what is more important is that my waist has gone from 96cm to 85cm.

I've been rearranging my home gym and it's nearly finished. I'll post a vid when it's done.

henno
1st April 2013, 07:05 PM
I've been rearranging my home gym and it's nearly finished. I'll post a vid when it's done.

I'm keen to see it!

Five months away from lifting is crazy, but rotator cuffs can be nasty pieces of work if not allowed to repair and rehab properly (says the layman to the doctor).

Peter
1st April 2013, 07:18 PM
Any Ozgolfers still lifting?
OZgolf, do you even lift?

Zeusgolf
2nd April 2013, 01:09 AM
3 day split RPT

The big 5 compound movements...OK maybe 6

Dead lift, Chinup
Dip, Bench
Squat, Military Press

3 warmup sets, 6 working sets per session(3 per exercise), no over training in this setup.

Strongest I've been ever and lowest body fat too but that's another story.

Yossarian
2nd April 2013, 10:19 AM
How is the leg and stuff coming along mate?

Moe Norman
2nd April 2013, 11:34 AM
do you even?

Jono
2nd April 2013, 08:10 PM
I did my first real workout yesterday evening since my shoulder surgery.

Got all fired up after looking at henno's gym and made a list of which exercises I could do. Here it is ...

It's all lower body stuff apart from few light kettlebell presses with my good arm which I didn't record.

I've lost about 35% strength in my legs and I dare say probably a lot more in the upper body. Start of a long road to recovery, I suppose ...

http://youtu.be/muOZkbSaeFI

Peter
2nd April 2013, 08:41 PM
How did you damage your shoulder Jono?

Jono
2nd April 2013, 09:22 PM
How did you damage your shoulder Jono? Too much overhead lifting and golf. Repetitive injury over a period of 18 months or so.

Stuartd147
3rd April 2013, 08:25 AM
Jono, glad to see you are getting back into it!
But I did not take you for a heavy metal type of doctor!!!!!!!!
How the hell did you get the weights on to your sleigh with only one arm?

...Stu

popper81
3rd April 2013, 09:50 AM

...Stu

Stu,
My thoughts exactly..... Jono is full of surprises.

Jono,
you mad bugger..... Hope the recovery goes as planned. Good luck.

Moe Norman
3rd April 2013, 10:22 AM
is that your home gym Jono?

you should charge an entry fee!

Jono
3rd April 2013, 01:47 PM

...Stu

I've got a very helpful training partner whom I mentioned at the end of the video ... ;)

Without him, I would not be able to do any weights at all at the moment.

Jono
3rd April 2013, 01:50 PM
is that your home gym Jono?

you should charge an entry fee!

LOL ... I'd have to charge $100 a visit if I'm going to break even. ;)