PDA

View Full Version : It's going to get cold this weekend! Warm golf wear tips guys?

moree golfer
10th May 2010, 07:55 PM
As the title states it is going to get cold Friday and Saturday in this neck of the woods, frost forecast both mornings and I am playing the first round of the Pro-Am at 7am tee time :smt100. Apart from the rocks in my head I wondered if those of you who regularly play in cold climates could give me some tips and warm clothing so I can at least swing the club without thinking about how cold I am. I am searching the net for some of those long Skins-style undershirts but don't necessarily need the compression factor, just the warmth. Please give me some ideas.

Grunt
10th May 2010, 07:59 PM
Make sure your shoes are indeed water proof, nothing worse than the frosts getting in your shoes and your feet freezing.

henno
10th May 2010, 08:00 PM
Yeah, it might even get down to 23 or 24 degrees during the day up here. Brrrrr.

LarryLong
10th May 2010, 08:03 PM
Thermals that you get from camping stores are good for this sort of thing - warm, lightweight, and they keep the sweat off if it does warm up a little. I'd go for them over skins, mainly because they are probably half the price and come in some wonderful garish stripey designs. If it's really cold, a pair of thermal tights under your normal pants will do wonders - I used to do this at the footy in the dead of winter.

Difficult to get them off if the temperature snaps back up to the 30s though. :)

Eag's
10th May 2010, 08:08 PM
They have forcast a min of 10* here for Thur & Fri time to get the jumper out ;)

moree golfer
10th May 2010, 08:20 PM
Thermals that you get from camping stores are good for this sort of thing - warm, lightweight, and they keep the sweat off if it does warm up a little. I'd go for them over skins, mainly because they are probably half the price and come in some wonderful garish stripey designs. If it's really cold, a pair of thermal tights under your normal pants will do wonders - I used to do this at the footy in the dead of winter.

Difficult to get them off if the temperature snaps back up to the 30s though. :)
Cheers Larry. I will drop into the camping supplies joint tomorrow. They have a fair range of stuff and I don't mind if it is a little garish. I am not keen on paying "Skins" type prices so a great suggestion. The forecast is calling for a top of 22 so it shouldn't get that hot and I probably will be riding not walking.

My shoes are reasonable waterproof, got the FJ LT Series which are almost bulletproof.

AndyP
10th May 2010, 08:36 PM
Why hasn't anyone else said this?

HTFU

moree golfer
10th May 2010, 08:41 PM
I wish I was as hard as you Andy :razz:.

kingslayer33
10th May 2010, 08:45 PM
Why hasn't anyone else said this?

HTFU

+1. You guys should try playing in real cold. The boys from Canberra and Tassie, and especially anyone who has visited Launceston, knows what I mean.

Captain Nemo
10th May 2010, 08:49 PM
Under armour heat gear, enough said!

moree golfer
10th May 2010, 08:56 PM
Yeah yeah, I grew up in the Southern Highlands so I know real cold. I admit I may have become a little soft while living in the northwest of NSW. Any comments on how to keep the mind on the job in cold weather from the Tassie dwellers?

moree golfer
10th May 2010, 09:02 PM
Where did you get yours Titliest? I googled Under Armour here and got a military/police supply website.

Daggs
10th May 2010, 09:04 PM
Bottle of STONES MAC in the bag outa do it:grin:

moree golfer
10th May 2010, 09:08 PM
Nice idea Daggs. Might have to walk to golf rather than drive so I can get home.

kingslayer33
10th May 2010, 09:16 PM
Any comments on how to keep the mind on the job in cold weather from the Tassie dwellers?

get a warm beanie, and one of those heat pack things you can keep in your pocket to warm your hands. Added bonus is you can warm your golf balls. (Scientific fact that warm balls go further) plus you can keep your other balls warm too. ;)

grandmasterb
10th May 2010, 09:20 PM
+1. You guys should try playing in real cold. The boys from Canberra and Tassie, and especially anyone who has visited Launceston, knows what I mean.

Come on, I've only worn trousers once so far this year!!!

Daggs
10th May 2010, 09:22 PM
No way alc content not that high . Guaranteed to fix coughs colds, worts moles ,and sore holes.

moree golfer
10th May 2010, 09:27 PM
Aaaah, not really familiar with Stones alc content, more of a rum man.

WBennett
10th May 2010, 09:28 PM
Beanie and lots of thin layers you can remove as the temperature creeps up. Once it hits 10 degrees after a sub zero start, it feels positively balmy!

(for cold, I abandoned a round last year on the 13th hole in freezing cold and driving rain. When checking BOM after the round, it was -8 after windchill. Now that was cold...)

davepuppies
10th May 2010, 09:36 PM
I just wear mr footjoy tour rain jacket - keeps the wind and most of the cold out.....

Havent solved the cold hands issue though

kingslayer33
10th May 2010, 09:39 PM
Havent solved the cold hands issue though

see my post above. can Usually get the heat packs from camping stores etc.

grandmasterb
10th May 2010, 09:51 PM
see my post above. can Usually get the heat packs from camping stores etc.

Just sow some wool into your pockets, true kiwi style :D

Golfnut
10th May 2010, 10:04 PM
Or forget it and come live in Perth :D.....mind you these autumn mornings have been a bit fresh.

cobra
10th May 2010, 10:19 PM
What do they say
keep your head,hands and feet warm and the rest will cope ok
So get a good beanie,ski gloves and nice thick socks and you will do fine

I wear a half sleeve windcheater light as toast and thats all and we can get down to minus 2-4 in winter and cope just fine

markTHEblake
10th May 2010, 11:19 PM
Added bonus is you can warm your golf balls.
except for the Rules of Golf says you cant (before the round is ok)

MegaWatty
10th May 2010, 11:40 PM
Or forget it and come live in Perth :D.....mind you these autumn mornings have been a bit fresh.
Where not only is it cold but rains for 80 of the 90 days of winter!

Try a pair of Ultimittens. You can also add those camping store heat packs into them!

sms316
11th May 2010, 07:52 AM
Don't rug up to the point of losing flexibility. As mentioned previously, the sachet handwarmers which you put in your pocket are great (and only about $5 a pair).

And a beanie. You lose a lot of body temp through your head.

moree golfer
11th May 2010, 08:47 AM
Since the Greatest Shave I have kept the hair short so I will definitely be getting a beanie today. I will see if they have the handwarmers as well. Thanks guys for your tips.

GolfBallWhackerGuy
11th May 2010, 08:58 AM

Under armour cold gear works better in the cold.

Fraser
11th May 2010, 09:29 AM
a nice cardy???

moree golfer
11th May 2010, 10:28 AM
a nice cardy???
A la Arnold Palmer, Fraser?

PeteyD
11th May 2010, 10:35 AM
A warm cocoa and a lie down.

Sydney Hacker
11th May 2010, 10:41 AM
Rum & Bonox before you tee off... you won't feel the cold for hours !

TourFit
11th May 2010, 11:14 AM
A hip flask with some single malt...you should get 18 drams in a std flask. That's why golf courses have 18 holes you know !!!

IanO
11th May 2010, 11:17 AM
Jog between shots :mrgreen:

oz
11th May 2010, 11:34 AM
get a warm beanie, and one of those heat pack things you can keep in your pocket to warm your hands. Added bonus is you can warm your golf balls.

This - plus good socks. I also like to wear a long sleeve tee under my golf shirt - a good warm sleeveless jacket, and then I am set for very cold mornings - without restricting flexibility much.

Veefore
11th May 2010, 03:48 PM

or Camillo Villegas

Ferrins
11th May 2010, 04:18 PM
I played a game in Tassie where I couldn't feel the impact because my hands were numb.

perci
11th May 2010, 04:27 PM
I played a game in Tassie where I couldn't feel the impact because my hands were numb.

Yea but was it Cold?

moree golfer
11th May 2010, 09:56 PM
a nice cardy???

or Camillo Villegas

Jesper Parnevik has sported some lovely cardigans over the years.