PDA

View Full Version : Your height versus club length

davepuppies
8th May 2010, 04:26 PM
Hi all,

Just curious as to what length irons you play, versus your height and your perception of your iwn arms (say short/normal/long)

I am 6 ft 1, with shorter arms, and my irons are 1/2 inch over standard.

Does this sound right?

Grunt
8th May 2010, 04:50 PM
I am 6' 0". I got measured up once and required 1/2" longer clubs and did as such. Did not really see that much difference. I now have standard set clubs.

live4golf
8th May 2010, 04:55 PM
I'm 186cm and my arms are a little shorter than they should be. my irons were measured at 1 inch over but have them 1/2 inch over.

Yes DP, sounds about right...what lie are you using?

Daves
8th May 2010, 04:56 PM
This link might be helpful Dave;

http://www.golf-components.com/custom-golf-club-fitting.html

I am 6'5" with average length arms I guess. My 5 iron is 38.5" which I thought was 1/2" over but it seems that could be 3/4" to an 1" over these days, depending on club brand.

Courty
8th May 2010, 05:11 PM
I am about 6' 2 1/2" and have slightly longer arms for my height. I know from getting measured during my volleyball days that my wingspan is about 6' 6". I use standard L/L/L.

Bushka
8th May 2010, 05:21 PM
6'5 with a 6'10 wingspan so basically go go gadget arms. I use a 1/2 inch over standard.

Courty
8th May 2010, 05:25 PM
6'5 with a 6'10 wingspan.

:shock:

If I fight breaks out, I'm on your side. ;)

Bushka
8th May 2010, 05:28 PM

I am 6'5" with average length arms I guess. My 5 iron is 38.5" which I thought was 1/2" over but it seems that could be 3/4" to an 1" over these days, depending on club brand.

K according to that site i am right on with 1/2 inch over cool.

KristianJ
8th May 2010, 05:29 PM
Same height as Courty and my wrists hang about 37" above the ground. I was fitted for a previous set of irons and was told that I was OK for standard (which my spare set of MX-23s are), but my AP2s are 1/2" over and I think that suits me a bit better.

Courty
8th May 2010, 05:32 PM

It says I should either be standard or 1/4" over.

Eldrick
8th May 2010, 06:18 PM
6'5"
1.25in over
But still standard lie angles
(which might be a reason for my crap golf)

Golfnut
8th May 2010, 07:07 PM
Giant Freaks!!!!!

grandmasterb
8th May 2010, 07:38 PM
6'3" with an inch over

Hux
8th May 2010, 07:41 PM
194cm and 1" over in irons.

Yossarian
8th May 2010, 07:55 PM
6 foot and no idea.

EDIT

That could understood a couple of ways couldn't it...

moree golfer
8th May 2010, 08:26 PM
Ozgolf - the home of the big units.

Me, 178cm and standard length, was fit once by the local pro.

adlo
8th May 2010, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I am surprised how many fweaks are on this site.

I am just under 6'5" with wingspan that matches my height. My irons are +0.5", 2.5 deg up.

Courty, did you ever play state volleyball?

Dotty
8th May 2010, 08:59 PM
Now for something in the middle of the bell-curve, 5'10 with 33" wrist height.

Dynamically fitted with std. length and 2* flat.

BrisVegas
8th May 2010, 09:28 PM
6'2" and I was fitted into 38.5" 5 iron and 1 deg upright.

idgolfguy
8th May 2010, 10:11 PM
I'm 5'4" with a similar wing span. My clubs are 3/4" over standard. They seem to work well enough from me.

Is there a height requirement on Ozgolf.

TourFit
8th May 2010, 11:51 PM
Hey Dotty and I have something in common...std length & 2* flat.

Although she's at least 3" taller!!! I actually measure up for 1/4"-1/2" UNDER, and if I play a set at this length then they are std lie angles.

Bushka
9th May 2010, 08:25 AM
6 foot and no idea.

EDIT

That could understood a couple of ways couldn't it...

Outstanding.

Just looked at the table and realised i'm actually 1/4 inch over instead of 1/2 an inch....obviously the difference between me playing to 22 and being off scratch.

Tourfit thats pretty hilarious. You going to try out some shorter length irons just to check?

virge666
9th May 2010, 08:40 AM
We fit for length in a two step process.

First bit it up against a wall and we measure from the crease in your right wrist (right handers) to the floor. This gives us a measurement to start with. it is called "Wrist to Floor"

We then get you to hit balls at what ever length that specifies and also 1/2 inch on either side with impact tape. Whatever gives you the best impact pattern is a damn good starting point.

There are some other systems out there - but you are not going to be too far off.

Courty
9th May 2010, 08:51 AM

Nah mate, I played plenty of rep stuff at a regional level but never progressed any further than that.

TourFit
9th May 2010, 09:48 AM
Tourfit thats pretty hilarious. You going to try out some shorter length irons just to check?

Bushka...I normally play std length irons at 2* flat.

But I actually have TWO of my sets that are 1/2" shorter than std (the 5 iron is 37.5"). Because of the lie vs length issue if you lengthen a club by 1/2" then you should flatten it by 1* to end up with the same lie angle!!! So there's not much difference between the two. I actually dynamically lie test as well, so the shorter set is just right at the std lie angles, as they give me a slightly more upright swing plane.

grandmasterb
9th May 2010, 10:06 AM

Nah mate, I played plenty of rep stuff at a regional level but never progressed any further than that.

I was going to ask the same question, thought i might of played against you at some point!!!

Moe Norman
9th May 2010, 12:28 PM
I'm 191cm, so about 6'3" and I use standard length and lie.

My arms are pretty long though, something like 199cm span, bit of a gorilla in that sense.

adlo
9th May 2010, 12:37 PM
I was going to ask the same question, thought i might of played against you at some point!!!

Who did you play for? I played for WA for a few years.

grandmasterb
9th May 2010, 02:44 PM
Who did you play for? I played for WA for a few years.

Played for Tassie for about 8 years which included National Schools Cup, Nationals, AVL, Good Neighbour & a few others.

mike
9th May 2010, 03:05 PM
I represented Bulli High School at volleyball. I was the ball.

Shortass here playing standard length and lie. Been measured up. I'm in perfect proportion.

adlo
9th May 2010, 04:03 PM
Played for Tassie for about 8 years which included National Schools Cup, Nationals, AVL, Good Neighbour & a few others.
Hmmm, depending on your age, our paths would have crossed. I played for Rossmoyne at National Schools for 4 years and WA at National Champs from u/16s until u/21s.

I represented Bulli High School at volleyball. I was the ball.

Shortass here playing standard length and lie. Been measured up. I'm in perfect proportion.
:lol:

Jarro
9th May 2010, 04:07 PM
I'm playing my 5 iron at 37.5" and finding it to be great.

I believe it's also bent at least 1* flat.

Pieface
9th May 2010, 05:15 PM
I don't remember exactly TF should have the specs. About 6'6" and 1.5" or 1.75" over I think. Not sure on the wingspan but I used to block a few shots out on the basketball court.

mike
9th May 2010, 05:24 PM
I'm playing my 5 iron at 37.5" and finding it to be great.
What's the standard length for a 5 iron?

virge666
9th May 2010, 06:01 PM
What's the standard length for a 5 iron?

Depends who you ask - there really is no STD length anymore. 38" seems be what most OEM's aim for.

ddasey
9th May 2010, 06:44 PM
Depends who you ask - there really is no STD length anymore. 38" seems be what most OEM's aim for.

What sort of effect would it have if your clubs are to long ??

38", where do you measure from ??

mike
9th May 2010, 06:54 PM
Measure from the heel to tip of the grip. My 5 iron measures 38".

ddasey
9th May 2010, 07:03 PM
Measure from the heel to tip of the grip. My 5 iron measures 38".

Thanks Mike, my 5 iron measures 38.75".

mike
9th May 2010, 07:06 PM
Good question. Anyone?

virge666
9th May 2010, 07:22 PM

Easy,

Clubs that are too long
* do not allow you release the clubhead properly
* Slow your swing speed down
* Feel very heavy in the head and stop the shaft from working correctly.

adlo
9th May 2010, 07:28 PM
Enjoy....

ddasey
9th May 2010, 07:51 PM
Easy,

Clubs that are too long
* do not allow you release the clubhead properly
* Slow your swing speed down
* Feel very heavy in the head and stop the shaft from working correctly.

Thanks Virge.

Thinking maybe shortening by 3/4"..............

mike
9th May 2010, 08:27 PM
Why? How did you end up with irons 3/4" over? Were you fitted?

ddasey
9th May 2010, 08:30 PM
Yeah, when I bought them a couple of years ago I was short of fitted (know bettter now).

Anyway as a result they made them 3/4" over.

Now by that chart thingy I should be standard. Wouldn't mind giving it a go to see if it makes any difference (or maybe its just my lack of ability...)

virge666
9th May 2010, 09:27 PM
My 2 cents on club length - and trust me - I have played both long and short, heavy and light.

Wrist to floor is a great start. Then get some impact tape or talc to find out what your impact pattern is like. If it is all over the shop - then you are either a shit golfer or the length/weight is wrong. At this point - grab a clubfitter, and a proper one. Not some dick from Drummonds who did the 4 hour intensive weekend course.

Length comes down to skill and strength, you have to be bloody good and bloody strong to get a +1" club to release through impact. If you are off anything other than low single figures - and you are more than +1", your a friggin idiot. You obviously can't release the clubhead properly, because if you could - you would be off a lower handicap, so your are using your hands to manipulate a club that is too heavy. Ask Bushka about the change in his swing and clubs !

Now by heavy - I don't mean the total weight of the club, I mean the momentum of the club. A golf club weighs less than 300grams, but when swung at 90mph, the momentum created is greatly multiplied exponentially. So that extra inch on the end really makes a huge difference, especially to how the shaft works...

Some other thoughts.
* If you are going longer - get a lighter stiffer shaft.
* Longer shafts for irons don't always mean longer shots. What you gain in shaft length you lose in club weight.
* The heavier the irons - the stiffer the tip on the shaft
* When in doubt go shorter. Fat shot suck balls, thin it to win it.

Enjoy

PistolTAS
9th May 2010, 10:24 PM
One thing is for sure, you all have enlightened me on the fact that I'm a short ass being under the 6 foot mark.
I did have a set of the tommy armour 845's that had upright shafts and were standard length - they felt terrible. Just measured my 5 iron and it is 38" and am pretty sure it is standard lie. This was not done intentionally so I'll be off to the club pro for a check on my specs. Thanks Virge for the thoughts - I've always put the fat shots down to a crap swing, now I can use a semi plausible excuse, at least until the pro tells me different ;)

Bushka
10th May 2010, 11:02 AM
Being really long sucked for me. Thats a 100% truth.

kingslayer33
10th May 2010, 11:20 AM
One thing is for sure, you all have enlightened me on the fact that I'm a short ass being under the 6 foot mark.

At least you haven't done the old basketballers trick and claim you are 6foot just because you are when wearing boots.

And I too am a very short arse. shorter than pistol at about 5'9. I think all my clubs are std LLL unless something is bent without my knowledge due to temper issues.

Toddy
10th May 2010, 12:58 PM
Coming in at 6ft 6 1/2 .....my clubs are 1.75" over....
after reading what virge has said this makes a lot of sense as to why i hit those bastard fat shots on occasions. When i was fitted / measuered up the bloke didn't even have me swing a club.
This was 2 years ago now though.
Been thinking of upgrading irons, so might have to get re-measured correctly this time around.
Thanks for the info!!!!

Toddy

haysey
10th May 2010, 07:14 PM
Bunch of giant freaks:razz:

LarryLong
10th May 2010, 07:39 PM
So that extra inch on the end really makes a huge difference, especially to how the shaft works...

That's what she said. :)

A good read, as always Virge.

I'm far too average to post anything useful in this thread. 5'10", 5'11" with the afro. Standard LLL for LL.

Daves
10th May 2010, 08:04 PM
I would assume there is a relationship between loft and club length that fitting tries to maintain, though these guys suggest otherwise;

http://www.1irongolf.com/

I got an old set of blades reshafted with DG s300s a few months ago. When I checked them afterwards I thought the fitter had stuffed up because they were half an inch shorter than my other clubs that he had also built. But then I thought about it and loft for loft they would actually be the same i.e. the old (1960s) blade 5i would have approximately the same loft as my modern 6i etc etc.

hocko
12th May 2010, 02:17 PM
I'm 189cm and have 1/2" over with 2* upright on 4I - 6I then 1* upright on 7I - 8I and standard on 9I - SW.
The club fitter put X100's in my 710's and then made me hit a dozen or shots with the impact stickers on and then bent them accordingly.

Moe Norman
12th May 2010, 03:01 PM
sure is a tall bunch, I'm about average height in this thread at 191cm!

Bushka
12th May 2010, 05:17 PM
Wonder what the hells going on with that, kind of a crazy stat to have so many guys around the 6'4-6'5 range.