PDA

View Full Version : Best Mobile and Program to use as a golf GPS

jonti
7th May 2010, 08:01 PM
Evening,
I'm up for a new mobile plan,
I want to get a mobile that i can use as a golf GPS
Any feedback or suggestions about the phone and software would be apperciated
At the moment i'm leaning towards an iphone but i don't know why.
Cheers
Sorry if i have doubled up on a thread

Daves
7th May 2010, 08:15 PM
Hi jonti,

I don't have an Iphone myself, but a mate does (with a golf GPS app) and battery life seems to be a big issue. Others might be able to confirm this? I believe there may be a heavy duty battery option but I don't know how successful it is?

I have a Nokia N95, current equivalent model is the N97 I believe. I have mScorecard loaded and it works pretty well. Battery life is just enough though, a fully charge battery will last 5 to 5 & 1/2 hours I have found. I find it pretty reliable. I also have a Bushnell Neo and when comparing them find they are usually pretty close on the distances.

Ned
7th May 2010, 08:23 PM
Have a look at this thread (http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/17881-Golf-GPS-Devices-and-Programs?highlight=)!

jonti
11th May 2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks Daves,

Went and checked it out at optus, i was told to wait for the Nokia X6 would should be out in a couple of weeks.

Supposed to be a better gps???

Hopefully i can do as you have and use mScorecard.

Cheers

kingslayer33
11th May 2010, 02:09 PM
Jonti,

I think I have commented previously in the thread NK linked but I have now used golfshot GPS on the iPhone for 1/2 dozen rounds now and can recommend it highly for the courses I have played.

Batterylife is an issue if you don't start with a greater >95% charge but as far as accuracy and useability it is good - although at $35 it is one of the more expensive apps I have seen. Does keep stats as well.

jonti
11th May 2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks kingslayer,
I just read the thread and the iphone sounds like the way to go.
Then load an app like golfshot gps or freecaddie pro.
I'll see how i go.
Cheers

Eldrick
11th May 2010, 02:35 PM
Golfshot works well
only thing i would like to see is a rangefinder only mode
for the times when you couldnt be stuffed with stats etc

another on that looks good is ViewTi but i have been able to find a "trial" version;)

kingslayer33
11th May 2010, 02:48 PM
Golfshot works well
only thing i would like to see is a rangefinder only mode
for the times when you couldnt be stuffed with stats etc

good point Eldrick. I hadn't thought of that one.

Also playing the Dunes on Saturday one hole had dud yardages but it was all because the green was covered by a massive big cloud in the image (Bing in this case) that was used. Maybe the res. on the Google Earth one was crap in that area - but it does work well on my home course (Kingston Beach in TAS) and Kingston Heath as well.

Ned
14th May 2010, 05:30 PM
http://www.cnet.com.au/nokia-x6-339298294.htm

morgy
19th May 2010, 10:05 PM
Mate, I'm more of a phone ho than a golf ho and that is saying something! I've owned them all, including iPhones, Google Phones, HTCs, N97 etc....

If you aren't that tech savy, i'd suggest sticking to the iPhone or Nokia's for their simple GUIs, although neither of these would make my top 10!

If you know your way around a bit of technology, my recommendation would be to get something on the Android operating system. Whilst they are nowhere near as user friendly as the aforementioned, they are extremely flexible and have some fantastic applications available on the android market. I am currently "Gaming" both the Google Nexus One and just got a Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 last week. The Nexus One is the best phone on the market today (by a mile); however, it has some compatibility issues with Australia's HSDPA network and they don't have an Aussie release.

The SE Experia X10 is excellent. Whilst it is bigger than most phones on the market, it has a quality GPS chip, fantastic (large) screen with good resolution, an 8mp camera and responsive buttons. Expandable SD memory trumps built-in memory for a plethora of reasons, and the battery life on the X10 is a good 25% better than the iPhone. The software is totally upgradeable/customizable and you can get quality Golf GPS software for as little as a dollar on the droid market.

Have a look www.gsmarena.com/ for some decent reviews on all new phones; however, note that their rankings are highly subjective and don't represent actual quality.

Ned
26th July 2010, 05:58 PM
http://www.cnet.com.au/best-gps-enabled-mobile-phones-339283391.htm

Ned
30th July 2010, 06:49 AM
http://www.news.com.au/technology/blackberry-maker-to-unveil-iphone-rival/story-e6frfro0-1225898280973