PDA

View Full Version : Mizuno Performance Fitting System

TourFit
7th May 2010, 12:05 PM
I went to my club yesterday afternoon to see/try out the shaft optimiser that Mizuno have for their fitting system. See link below (click on Shaft Optimiser at top)

http://www.mizunomatch.com/ (http://www.mizunomatch.com/)

Anyway...I took the three swings with the graphite shafted optimiser club (a std length 6 iron) and he logged each reading into the software. After the third reading he showed me the recommended shaft options that the optimiser figured I needed...

Dynamic Gold X100 tipped (or hard stepped)
KBS X tipped (or hard stepped)
Project X 6.5
Rifle 7.0

Apparently he was surprised, and that it was the first time he'd used it and come up with a PX 6.5 recommendation. He told me that I have a LOT of speed and force through my swing (for a little guy...) The SS was 96mph with a 6 iron and that the release was VERY late and the kick angle (launch) was also high. The bending force through the shaft at the tip (coming in to impact) and the butt (at the backswing/downswing transition) was pretty severe.

I was actually there to see the setup more than try the clubs etc...the way they set out the cart with the shafts on the side of varying flexes and lengths, and then the inside with all the heads labelled and in rows of differing lie angles was great...Liked the ease of their connector system on the shaft tip and the tightening of the grub screw in the back of the hosel...EASY! I'm not sure about the optimiser though. Great idea, especially the portability and quickness of using it, although it seemed a bit high in it's reading. And the graphite shaft just made it feel WAY too light and flexible.

I spoke to him of what I already play (had my Forged 6 iron with hard stepped PX 5.5) and that on a good swing and impact I maybe 'could' handle a 6.5, but it would take a lot of work & force to make it work and that any mishits off centre would just kill me. I also told him that I play 2* flat in a std length club. He then gave me the heads in standard lie to hit...reckoned by the look of it that I didn't need 2* flat (and didn't check me on the lie board that was right there also!!)

Anyway...I ended up trying the MP58 and MP68 with PX 6.5, and sure enough, when I put a good swing on it it was great....not so good swings were just brutal (my forearms felt pretty tight after about 15 hits!!!)

At the end of the session I told him that a PX 6.0 would probably be a better match in overall performance/forgiveness terms (and then he agreed)...then he asked me which set I preferred 3-PW in the MP58 or the MP68... :shock:

Meh...like I'm a club HO or something :roll:

Oh...and I also hit the MP630 9.5* driver (set to draw) with the Mizzy Fubuki in 64S...not bad at all, though I hit toweringly high fades with it (not that that's necessarily bad). Then tried the matching FW with the Fubuki 74S shaft. Great looking head but the shaft felt a little dead to me.

PS: Sorry for the long post...but you guys should know me by now !!!

MegaWatty
7th May 2010, 12:40 PM
Do you have a set of Mizzies?

TourFit
7th May 2010, 03:03 PM
Apparently I'm not man enough to play Mizzy's (or so I'm told!) :mrgreen:

I actually HAD a set of MP 14 blades at one point and foolishly got rid of them...how I wish I still had them (sigh)

oncewasagolfer
7th May 2010, 05:32 PM
Apparently I'm not man enough to play Mizzy's (or so I'm told!) :mrgreen:

I actually HAD a set of MP 14 blades at one point and foolishly got rid of them...how I wish I still had them (sigh)

Sweet:mrgreen:

Topdog
7th May 2010, 06:12 PM
Did the guy have anytime to see anyone else or did you take up the hole day?

Did your socks stay on while you was swinging like happy gilmour.

SS of 96mph with a 6 iron is pretty dam fast , did you wear your undies on the outside of you leggings and have a large 'S' on your top.

Good review TF and is bag number 16 on its way.

Toolish
7th May 2010, 11:40 PM
I had a go with the Mizuno fit thing. Told me I needed soft step X100 or equivalent. I currently play S300 and some days I feel they are too stiff.

The club with the gadget on it is a super light shovel only to be hit off tees...not the best option to get a good swing representation.

Webster
8th May 2010, 07:36 AM
Did you try the new wedges?

TourFit
8th May 2010, 08:39 AM
Yeh, the new Quad Cut wedges sit really nice...I liked the MP-R Series wedges, but the new ones are better than that !!! Definately a great alternative to the cast Cleveland/Vokey...