PDA

View Full Version : 2 iron

AlexMc
2nd May 2010, 02:52 PM
I'm playing AP2's and I'm hitting the long irons really well - much better than I am hitting hybrid and fairway wood. I'm thinking that maybe getting a 2 iron might be the way to go and take out the hybrid.

Unfortunately Titleist do not make AP2's in 2 iron, so I'm after some advice. The way I see it, my options are:

* Get another AP2 3 iron which is bent 2 degrees (which is the maximum that Titleist will bend the club) - this to me wont work as 3 iron is 21 degrees. This will only make the club 19 degrees and not really a 2 iron;

* Get an AP1 3 iron and bend it 2 degrees. The AP1 is actually 20 degrees and this will make it 18 degrees which is reasonably close to what a 2 iron would be. I imagine the AP1 would be a little easier to hit than the AP2 as well so all things being equal I should hit that reasonably well too;

* Get a 710 CB 2 iron (which is 18 degrees). Only thing is I am worried this is too much game for me and will be too hard to hit; or

* Look for a different brand 2 iron which would be an easy-to-hit club.

If I was to order the AP1 bent to 18 degrees is there anything I need to worry about having the club bent? Will it over time bend itself back back out?

What other recommendations are out there? Open to ideas, don't have to be Titleist.

TheTrueReview
2nd May 2010, 04:19 PM
If you're hitting long irons consistently well over a period of time (not just this week), I'd go for option 2. That's just my 2 cents worth.

henno
2nd May 2010, 05:13 PM
Titleist do/did make a 2-iron AP2. I was tour-only though and they go for a lot of $$$. I've seen a few advertised on golfwrx from time to time. Seriously expensive though.

Courty
2nd May 2010, 05:42 PM
If you're hitting long irons consistently well over a period of time (not just this week), I'd go for option 2. That's just my 2 cents worth.

+1. That's what I'd be doing if it were me (and I could hit my long irons well enough :roll:).

Oldplayer
2nd May 2010, 06:09 PM
I'd go for option 4. Get a 2 iron with a similar looking head (head size, view at address, offset etc) Ap1 are very different to the ap2's. Plus if you bend 2 degrees it effects the sole and may create a club that digs too easily. I use a 2 iron and have chucked out the hybrid. I am enjoying the accuracy and flatter tradjectory.

davepuppies
2nd May 2010, 06:14 PM
I have the 695CB, and the 2 iron is ok, but not easy to hit....

I have the original DCI black 1 iron that has been bent to 15 degrees and i hit it well all day long......

Hux
2nd May 2010, 06:15 PM
aren't AP1's cast? Sure you can bend one the necessary 2*???

Oh and a 2iron has a longer shaft so you will need to order it longer than stock as well.

just
2nd May 2010, 06:17 PM
If you are keen on this option I'd go a driving iron like an MP Fli Hi, Fourteen Hi660, Callaway Tour Authentic X Tour Utility, Cleveland LDI, Bridgestone J33 Airmuscle etc.

Oldplayer
2nd May 2010, 06:22 PM
aren't AP1's cast? Sure you can bend one the necessary 2*???

Oh and a 2iron has a longer shaft so you will need to order it longer than stock as well.

Ap1's are cast but you could probably get 2 degrees at a stretch. I would think an Ap1 3 iron would be just as rare as an Ap2 2 iron. 99% of ap1 sets are 4-gw.

henno
2nd May 2010, 06:25 PM
The AP1 AP2 3-irons go for about 80 bucks. The 2-irons go for $1500+.

EDIT: I meant AP2. D'uh.

ParMaster
2nd May 2010, 07:09 PM
I'm looking at this same option as well. I might well go with what Just suggested.

markTHEblake
2nd May 2010, 07:21 PM
. This will only make the club 19 degrees and not really a 2 iron;

Why? There is no standard definition of a 2 iron - given that manufacturers have been using 'loft creep' on is for years. Wont be long before a 4 iron is 22 degrees.

In the days gone by where most good golfers carried a 1 iron, that was usually 17 deg, the 2iron about 19.

It doesn't matter what the standard is, if you want a 2 iron, you find one that has the same distance difference as the 3 and 4 iron. You could do that with a combination of loft and length.

AlexMc
2nd May 2010, 08:29 PM
On the Titleist website they offer AP1 3 iron with the option of +2 degrees loft.

I might see if I can hit a AP1 3 iron and see how it goes before ordering one...

AlexMc
2nd May 2010, 08:41 PM
Why? There is no standard definition of a 2 iron - given that manufacturers have been using 'loft creep' on is for years. Wont be long before a 4 iron is 22 degrees.

In the days gone by where most good golfers carried a 1 iron, that was usually 17 deg, the 2iron about 19.

It doesn't matter what the standard is, if you want a 2 iron, you find one that has the same distance difference as the 3 and 4 iron. You could do that with a combination of loft and length.
3 iron is 21 degrees, 4 iron is 24 degrees. If I had an AP1 at 18 degrees, that would be better than an AP2 at 19 degrees. Wouldn't it?

Googled some of the suggestions. The Callaway Tour Authentic - how are they to hit? Hard to get?

idgolfguy
2nd May 2010, 09:13 PM
I have the Callaway X-Prototypes 3-PW. I like them and find them more forgiving than my Wilson FG 17s and Srixon Pro-100s.

My 2-iron is a Ping S59. I find this very forgiving. I also have a Nike Pro-Combo 2-iron. It isn't bad just hit the Pimg more consistently.

just
2nd May 2010, 09:19 PM
The Callaway Tour Authentic - how are they to hit? Hard to get?
Send Nudgee a PM, he'll be able to give you the info. He's had a Callaway Utility and the Fourteen Hi660.

KristianJ
2nd May 2010, 10:24 PM
I'm looking at this same option as well. I might well go with what Just suggested.

You want to borrow my MP Fli Hi for a little while, Pup? PM me if you're keen, and I might drive over your way next weekend. I might need my groove sharpener back to clean up the few "new" wedges I have.

Boonie
3rd May 2010, 11:15 AM
Mizuno FliHi is definitely an option

Having hit a lot of these types of clubs due to my hatred of hybrids, my recommendation would actually be a Ping 2-iron. They are extremely good clubs as 2-irons, can be hit high or low, and still shaped if need be.

G10 and G2 both had 2-irons, and there was also a G2HL (high launch) which was a seriously underated club.

Any of those 3 with ZZ65 shaft would be great IMO. Using Proj X 5.5, the ZZ65 should suit you.

Hacker09
3rd May 2010, 07:02 PM
I am in a similar position, can't hit my #2 Baffler Pro or a 3 wood to save my life while I do alright with a 4 iron (Cobra FP). There is a J33 2 Iron on the 'bay, any comments regarding the suitability of this club for a 21 hcp'er? thanks.

idgolfguy
3rd May 2010, 08:16 PM
I've used a 2 iron since I started as a 27hc years ago. I didn't have an issue using them. I prefer them to hybrids.

ParMaster
5th May 2010, 04:51 PM
You want to borrow my MP Fli Hi for a little while, Pup? PM me if you're keen, and I might drive over your way next weekend. I might need my groove sharpener back to clean up the few "new" wedges I have.

Yeah that'd be great Kristian.

Not sure where the groove sharpener is. I'll go look for it now, otherwise I'll refund you the cost.

KristianJ
5th May 2010, 06:16 PM
No worries...just let me know what time on Saturday suits. I remember you had a hit of it with a spare ball during our matchplay and it seemed you handled it pretty well.

ParMaster
5th May 2010, 06:48 PM
10:00 would be the best time Kristian.

I can't find your sharpener right now. I'll keep looking but just in case I can't find it, how much did it set you back?

See ya then.

KristianJ
5th May 2010, 07:19 PM
10am'll do fine. And it cost $16.55 according to the group buy thread. Happy to give you a few weeks to find it though.

razaar
5th May 2010, 09:10 PM
Learn to hit a 5-wood; should be easy if you can hit a 3-iron well. The 5-wood is much more versatile than the 2-iron which is almost a 1-iron these days. It's a no-brainer IMO.

idgolfguy
5th May 2010, 10:10 PM
Hmm. I find the 2 iron easier to manipulate. The sole of the 5w doesn't help in the rough at the Vines. I seem to get about the same distance out of my 2 iron.

However, I don't use my 3w very much either. Probably due to trust and reliability. The 2 iron's the 'old faithful for me.

MegaWatty
5th May 2010, 10:43 PM
2 hyrbid. Best of both worlds! :)

BrisVegas
6th May 2010, 08:51 AM
omg, I agree with ray. Embrace the 5wood. It gives you a high, soft option from 200m. If you want to advance the ball as far as possible on a par 5, hood the 3 iron or hit 3 wood. Off the tee on par 4's, it's pretty rare that 3 wood is too much and 3 iron isn't enough... Whereas on a long par 3, a 5 wood is perfect.

WBennett
6th May 2010, 09:10 AM
Another vote for a Mizuno Fli Hi - I carry a 21 degree. Examples of later model here (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2008-9-Mizuno-MP-Fli-Hi-21-deg-Hybrid-Project-X-Stiff-/370369657251?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Sport_Golf_Equipment&hash=item563bc079a3)

I have a slightly older 21 degree graphite exsar stiff shafted jobbie, and love it. My 190-200m club, and one I have no interest in replacing.

KristianJ
7th May 2010, 10:48 PM
Pup, I'll bring the Fli Hi over next weekend...I'm pretty much quarantining myself with this head cold I'm dealing with.

ParMaster
8th May 2010, 10:08 AM
Ahh crap. Wondering why you weren't here.

Anyway, I'll send you a PM in a day or two telling you what's a good time here. I will be in Wollongong next Sat however, so that's out.

goughy
8th May 2010, 10:30 AM
2 irons are for girls. Real golfers use 1 irons!

KristianJ
8th May 2010, 10:34 AM
Ahh crap. Wondering why you weren't here.

Anyway, I'll send you a PM in a day or two telling you what's a good time here. I will be in Wollongong next Sat however, so that's out.

Okie dokes. Thinking about it a bit more, next Sat's probably not good either.