PDA

View Full Version : Has ozgolf helped or hindered your golf?

BrisVegas
29th April 2010, 01:48 PM
I was thinking back to when I started on ISG and OZG all those years ago. At my first ever ISG game at Emerald Lakes night golf I think I was a 4 hcap. I pretty much went out one shot every year since then, through forum participation and hoing etc. to the point where last year I almost hit a 10 hcap.

I'm back to a 6 now, and I think it's because I've started playing with bicycles and obsessing less about golf.

What's happened to your golf game since you started posting on ozgolf???

PeteyD
29th April 2010, 01:50 PM
Mine is marginally better (from total nuffy to half assed nuffy. Almost halved my handicap in that time). At least I have some idea of what I am doing now.

Eag's
29th April 2010, 01:54 PM
I have been spinning my wheels since joining Oz Golf, when I joined back in 2004 I was off 15, now off 10.
I play crap in the big days for some reason, but do well in the smaller comps.
Still enjoy getting together with Oz Golfers as often as possible though :)

Minor_Threat
29th April 2010, 01:54 PM
My game has definitely improved since joining.

Not sure if it is the forum or not, probably just the fact I got keen again and started playing / practising more!

sms316
29th April 2010, 01:55 PM
Not entriely golf related, but just yesterday a person from this forum opened me up to a whole new world where you can do amazing things with a blender.

Yossarian
29th April 2010, 01:57 PM
Helped, watching guys that can actually play golf is an amazing help.

Jarro
29th April 2010, 02:00 PM
I don't think OzGolf has had a benefit to my game either way ..... i'm basically on the same handicap now as when i first started posting here :roll:

The best thing about OzGolf, to me, is that i now have a lot of different people i can play golf with :)

henno
29th April 2010, 02:19 PM
It's helped me lighten my wallet.

Bruce
29th April 2010, 02:20 PM
I've halved my handicap in that time. I was just starting out in the game when I joined and happy to break 100. Now I'm trying to find that last shot or 2 to break 80.

I've also got to play with some great people in some great places. It's been 100% benefit for me.

AndyP
29th April 2010, 02:21 PM
Helped. I don't know if or how much I would be playing golf without it.

Toolish
29th April 2010, 02:27 PM
ISG has helped me a lot. Ozgolf has saved me a bit of coin on purchased.

First started posting on forums I was playing off 9, down to 5 now and playing less than I used to.

Boonie
29th April 2010, 02:36 PM
Helped, because the 5-wood I got on here from Rick is my favourite club.

Moe Norman
29th April 2010, 02:43 PM
made very little difference I think, although I got a cheap driver from Henno which is great

solarman
29th April 2010, 02:57 PM
I love the atmoshere, the avatars, the sledging everything else but the golf talk (because I am so hopeless at it). As for helping my game...more like distancing my missus.

sms316
29th April 2010, 03:00 PM
I love the atmoshere, the avatars, the sledging everything else but the golf talk (because I am so hopeless at it). As for helping my game...more like distancing my missus.

How about the email circle blender boy?

solarman
29th April 2010, 03:07 PM
How about the email circle blender boy?

That was Tomson making himself a smoothie.

Dotty
29th April 2010, 03:09 PM
Knowledge is power, and this place is very knowledgeable. (As opposed to the 'info' provided by OEMs, club and off-course retailers, solely to make a sale.)

Dropped 2 shots, and it takes twice as long to slide out, than pre-OzGolf.
Most importantly, being able to provide helpful and correct information to many fellow club-members, re. rules, new handicap system, equipment, etc. based on OzGolf sourced knowledge.

I also love that OzGolf allows a broad cross-section of opinions, including those that would normally be stifled by over-opinionated and inflexible individuals in real life or one-way traffic of print and electronic media.

And finally, I can 'talk' about golf away from the club, without annoying friends and work-colleagues.

TourFit
29th April 2010, 03:11 PM
I'm with Henno on this one...it has hindered my wallet. My golf has always been crap!!!

Dotty
29th April 2010, 03:20 PM
I'm with Henno on this one...it has hindered my wallet. My golf has always been crap!!!
Helped my wallet, watching newer-shinier-longer re-appear in the pro-shop under a different username.

Lucasto23
29th April 2010, 03:32 PM
Wallet is alot lighter, golf mates increased beyond measure and handicap back to where is should be :) how can you hate OZgolf:smt057

zacdullard
29th April 2010, 03:52 PM
It has kept me interested in golf when I got sick of playing it.

Jarro
29th April 2010, 03:54 PM
I'm waiting to hear what Perci has to say :-"

just
29th April 2010, 03:56 PM
I'm back where I started 4 years ago. I'm beyond help.

Jarro
29th April 2010, 03:58 PM
I'm back where I started 4 years ago. I'm beyond help.

Phil Mickelson is your friend Justin 8)

sms316
29th April 2010, 04:01 PM
ParMaster is better though.

dhills2
29th April 2010, 04:03 PM
Like most of us... helped with golf, hindered with finances. Also started at another forum a few years back... thank puck I found this one aye bro ;)

Grunt
29th April 2010, 06:26 PM
Not sure if it has helped or not? Golf wise am better but also worse if that makes any sense.

virge666
29th April 2010, 06:38 PM
I wonder what Zig's answer to that question is . . . ;)

Mine has definitley improved - if only for the enthusiasm.

Jarro
29th April 2010, 06:40 PM
I wonder what Zig's answer to that question is . . . ;)

Mine has definitley improved - if only for the enthusiasm.

And that's what it's all about really isn't it ?

markTHEblake
29th April 2010, 06:43 PM
My handicap has gone out 0.1 since I joined Ozgolf, a disturbing trend.

I have spent maybe $300 on golf gear, and sold about $6000 worth, someone has to come out in front with all the buyers here.

Eag's
29th April 2010, 07:57 PM
Bloody tight arse.

markTHEblake
29th April 2010, 08:21 PM
Not really, its just that hardly anyone sells decent gear here.

petethepilot
29th April 2010, 11:43 PM
Brisvegas,

that time when your handicap went out, did it correspond to raising young kids?
I went out a shot a year for the first 6 years of my daughters life! Mind you golf is more fun and less serious now when I actually get to play.

Pete

MegaWatty
30th April 2010, 12:00 AM
The other forum got me back into golf.

I joined Ozgolf off 15. Now of 10.0. I learned a shitload about equipment, courses and ho'ing. I've indulged a little as well.

I used to think it may be harming me, but I just try and avoid advice in swings etc and find myself playing some pretty good golf at the moment.

Now I just need hunt down my childhood 'cap.

BrisVegas
30th April 2010, 07:43 AM
Brisvegas,

that time when your handicap went out, did it correspond to raising young kids?
I went out a shot a year for the first 6 years of my daughters life! Mind you golf is more fun and less serious now when I actually get to play.

Pete

Yeah, had a couple of kids in that time. I blamed the kids for the slide, as I stopped practicing. Mind you, I never practiced much even before kids. When I was off 4, I was playing at least one comp round a week and often finding time to hit balls after work etc.. The regular weekly comp game took a backseat for a while. I'm getting back into a routine again now.

I gotta stop the hoing though. Changing putters and wedges all the time is not good for consistency. I reckon I've got my bag bag to where it was in 2007 when I won at Kooralbyn. No need to change the gear, just need to play smarter/better/more often... (disclaimer - I'm still looking for a new driver :wink: )

LarryLong
30th April 2010, 08:05 AM
I'm definitely playing more since I started posting on OzGolf. Am I playing better? I'm not sure about that, but more golf has to be a good thing, right?

Moe Norman
30th April 2010, 09:57 AM
I'm playing worse, but it has nothing to do with ozgolf.

When I joined the forum, I was off 6. I'm now off 9, but was off 7 prior to the system change.

I had been playing poorly well before then though. I bottomed out at 2.7 in about 2002, when working at Indooroopilly Golf Club and playing 3 times a week. I made a gradual incline to be a pretyty consitent 5 marker in about 2005, then I got married and started working full-time, had first baby in 2006, another one in 2008 and it has snowballed from there.

I pretty much played no golf at all between about 2002 and 2004 though, lost interest and always had injuries. Prior to that I had played weekly at least, and when I was living in NZ and then Ireland I was playing golf at least twice a week and usually on a new course every time.

I now play about 10 times* a year, and if I maintain a single figure hcp I'll be happy. I don't anticipate playing much until the kids are finished high school, which will only see me in my 40's then anyway, which is good. Any time I do have spare these days, I try to play sports I won't be able to play in my 40's, like football!

*Starting to get regular Friday games in my new job though, so that will be nice and should drive up numbers

goughy
30th April 2010, 12:22 PM
I live my golfing life through you guys! One day it'll be back in force though. I think they call that period retirement!