PDA

View Full Version : New Forum look

Pages : [1] 2

Courty
28th April 2010, 09:06 PM
In case you hadn't already noticed, I'm in the process of uploading the new style for the OZgolf forums. It's got some green like the pre-upgrade style, and lots of dark colours to make us all more energy efficient (and easier on the eyes). :mrgreen:

The main changes have already happened, but there will be some more finer adjustments to come in the next day or two. You may need to clear your cache for it all to display correctly.

Edit: I have just added a second style for those who don't like the dark 'Lights Off' style. Scroll to the bottom of the page and use the Quick Style Chooser (see image below) to select 'Lights On' to see the alternate style. Please be aware that some features (such as banners) will not be supported in the Lights On style. This may or may not be reviewed in the future.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4210/chooser.png

Please note that although the 'vb4 default style' is listed in the chooser, it does not work and will not be there for much longer as I'm still working on things.

Yossarian
28th April 2010, 09:08 PM
Looks good courty! You guys do good work.

On a somewhat related sidenote how about a banner with the line

"ain't no party like a west coast party"

Courty
28th April 2010, 09:12 PM
Looks good courty! You guys do good work.

Thanks Yoss. We try our best. 8)

On a somewhat related sidenote how about a banner with the line

"ain't no party like a west coast party"

AndyP will be restoring the original banner rotation tomorrow. After the new style is bedded down my next task will be to review (and possibly redesign) the banners. That said, I can't promise anything. ;)

KristianJ
28th April 2010, 09:19 PM
Looks like the Raiders away strip...

http://www.jerseys.com.au/images/2010_raid_away_jers_campo.jpg

Tomo
28th April 2010, 09:21 PM
I hope not...they are losers

Courty
Looks like the Raiders away strip...

Let me make it clear... OZgolf is in no way affiliated with the Canberra Raiders. ;)

markTHEblake
ye gods. Henno would like it because its so Terminal but this hurts my eyes like crazy

Yossarian
28th April 2010, 09:22 PM
Whoa it just went very dark!

henno
28th April 2010, 09:22 PM
FYI yhe blue "For Sale" colours in the Pro Shop are too hard to read now.

TheTrueReview
28th April 2010, 09:23 PM
Whoa .... those mushrooms must be kicking in.

Hawkers2008
Looks okay,would look smarter in gold & brown.

Courty
FYI yhe blue "For Sale" colours in the Pro Shop are too hard to read now.

That's one of the things on AndyP's list to rectify.

zacdullard
28th April 2010, 09:24 PM
I like it.

morgy
28th April 2010, 09:27 PM
Not a huge fan..... but I was one of the people bi*ching about the facebook change too and that seems to work now :)

Cosmopolite
28th April 2010, 09:27 PM
Looks okay,would look smarter in gold & brown.

ugh no, 70s look. eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww

Cosmopolite
28th April 2010, 09:28 PM
I find it hard on the eyes

Eldrick
28th April 2010, 09:29 PM
yep its green alright

Hawkers2008
28th April 2010, 09:29 PM
ugh no, 70s look. eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww

its a timeless look really premierships in each of the last 5 decades hard to beat the 70s and 80s though.

Courty
28th April 2010, 09:32 PM
I find it hard on the eyes

It is a bit of a wake-up call at first, I'll agree. But I've spent considerable time working on it on the Test Forum in the last couple of weeks and I've certainly found myself to have adjusted to it.

MegaWatty
28th April 2010, 09:32 PM
Let me make it clear... OZgolf is in no way affiliated with the Canberra Raiders. ;)

Or the CFMEU hopefully!

KristianJ
28th April 2010, 09:35 PM
Or the CFMEU hopefully!

Fingers crossed for Local Liquor...:D

MegaWatty
28th April 2010, 09:36 PM
My Dragon looks hot against the black background.

dan
28th April 2010, 09:37 PM
Black is not good for forums. Big thumbs down!

Hawkers2008
28th April 2010, 09:41 PM
You mean the Canberra whiners ...

Every minor misfortune that beset them was someone elses fault, especially in the run up to the start of Super League. First the NSWRL/ARL were out to get them and then later on the Super League were out to get them. Talk about inferiority complex.

God thats one part of living in Canberra I don't miss.

markTHEblake
28th April 2010, 09:41 PM
It is a bit of a wake-up call at first, I'll agree. But I've spent considerable time working on it on the Test Forum in the last couple of weeks and I've certainly found myself to have adjusted to it.

Wait to you get older - these days my eyes get really messed up by certain colour mixes and white or green writing on black freaks me out. I used the Green Writing on Black background Gmail template for years but then alll of a sudden it drove me insane, words keep jumping out of the screen and smashing into me head.

I even get dizzy going into the Command prompt now.

Eag's
28th April 2010, 09:45 PM
I think it looks great.

kingslayer33
28th April 2010, 09:46 PM
I like it, at the moment, but I can't be too far away from Blakey's point of no return sight problems

kingslayer33
28th April 2010, 09:47 PM
oh and Mega is right my sigs look awesome now. Go dees!

mike
28th April 2010, 09:48 PM
I like it. It's easier to hide secret messages.

Courty is a wanker

grandmasterb
28th April 2010, 09:50 PM
I like it, certainly easier to read on my laptop.

kingslayer33
28th April 2010, 09:52 PM
new posts button at the bottom of the thread seems to be missing on mine. Or I'm looking in the wrong place.

LarryLong
28th April 2010, 09:59 PM
My eyes!

I promise to wait a few days before whinging though.

ParMaster
28th April 2010, 10:02 PM
PAIN!!!

markTHEblake
28th April 2010, 10:07 PM
I have changed my mind, this is perfect. I will have much more time to post now, as I will have to stop reading what everyone else has posted. No point reading it anyway, you are all either agreeing with me, or you are wrong.

Dotty
28th April 2010, 10:15 PM
Enough of a strain to stop me reading threads.

If it has to be a black background, then at least use fixed characters in a 80x23 layout, like the good old 3270s.

Golfnut
28th April 2010, 10:16 PM
Hate it...........................for now :)

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2010, 11:00 PM
negative.

goonie
29th April 2010, 12:01 AM
Not liking it so far

Daggs
29th April 2010, 01:18 AM
Bloody awful hope no ones epileptic now i need a light on to see my keyboard.

Scottt
29th April 2010, 02:10 AM
It looks f**king horrific. Why so extreme?

3oneday
29th April 2010, 02:46 AM
They say once you've had black you never go back ?

Go back, please !

Jarro
29th April 2010, 04:00 AM
I like it guys 8)

BrettM
29th April 2010, 04:31 AM
This is terrible.

Grunt
29th April 2010, 04:40 AM
I like it, funny thing is that most that do not like it have not been here that long :)

Ned
29th April 2010, 05:06 AM
Start a Poll ?:roll:

AndyP
29th April 2010, 05:12 AM
Courty, it's lucky that it's not a democratic forum.

Missing buttons, etc that got added to the forum recently are waiting on me to update for the new style.

dc68
29th April 2010, 05:18 AM
Pretty flasho

just
29th April 2010, 05:25 AM
This is pretty bad. As scottt said why the extreme change?

Jarro
29th April 2010, 05:26 AM
This is pretty bad. As scottt said why the extreme change?

So it pisses Scottt off

just
29th April 2010, 05:26 AM
I like it, funny thing is that most that do not like it have not been here that long :)
Which only shows that it's a popularity contest not about whether it's good or not.

sms316
29th April 2010, 05:31 AM

Come on Count. If you associate with the best you can have advertising like this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7oUI6WWPPg

IanO
29th April 2010, 05:35 AM
The colours take a bit of getting used to, but I don't mind them

AndyP
29th April 2010, 05:39 AM
This is pretty bad. As scottt said why the extreme change?Why not?

Scottt
29th April 2010, 06:01 AM
Andy P: Why f**k with a winning look?

So it pisses Scottt off

I might drop my office chair down 16 inches so I can see how the page looks for you, maybe the green will look less like a post Midori Illusion Shaker barf.

Jarro
29th April 2010, 06:07 AM

I might drop my office chair down 16 inches so I can see how the page looks for you, maybe the green will look less like a post Midori Illusion Shaker barf.

Make sure your chair has a head rest as well to help support that massive head of yours.

Scottt
29th April 2010, 06:10 AM
The "massive head" rest is called the front of the seat.

AndyP
29th April 2010, 06:10 AM
Which winning look was that? You bitched about the blue, so you must mean the old green that disappeared as soon we upgraded the forum. This was easier and we like it.

Jarro
29th April 2010, 06:11 AM
The "massive head" rest is called the front of the seat.

I'm sure your boyfriend is very impressed

Scottt
29th April 2010, 06:24 AM
Jarro: get some better material.

AngryP: I'm guessing the first "upgrade" was forced on you/us by a software change. I didn't like the first change, but this is a massive step backwards. Dotty is right: it's enough to make me stay away. Rejoice if you like, fellow OzGolfers, but I would suggest I might not be the only one. The visuals of a forum matter. I have scarcely visited www.thecolo.com.au (http://www.thecolo.com.au) in two years or maybe three largely on a visibility/page loading speed issue. And I was/am a mod there, so I had huge interest in the place.

The visibility matters and this one stinks. Just my two cents, but I am seeing many posts above saying the same thing.

BrettM
29th April 2010, 06:27 AM

Memo to everyone who has not been here as long as Grunt:

Stay in the background and don't say anything.

Moe Norman
29th April 2010, 06:35 AM
I like it, much closer to the original ozgolf colours.

I thought everyone knew the other colours were default and would change when you got around to it?

In fact, thats pretty much what you said when all the same people were whining about it isn't it?

Dotty
29th April 2010, 06:39 AM
I can't wait for Fraser's comments (if he is able to navigate to this thread).

It just dawned on me why a black-white-lime combo seemed familiar. (Three letters. Starts with I.)

BrisVegas
29th April 2010, 06:43 AM
I prefer the white background we had previously. This is harder to read. But as AndyP said, it's not a democracy, so I assume I'll just have to live with it.

Scottt
29th April 2010, 06:44 AM
Great point Dotty. It has a strong ISG force.

I can only guess the next step will be that PMs disappear.

henno
29th April 2010, 07:06 AM
I like it, although it does have a feel of a gaming forum or something like that.

Also there seems to be a bug in the stylesheet (or it's simply missing) where the pagination buttons aren't highlighting the current page you are on.

It still exists in the html though:

<span class="selected"><a href="javascript://" title="Results 61 to 64 of 64">4</a></span>

It just needs a quick bit of CSS for the "selected" class. I'm surprised it doesn't exist.

(EDIT: the code box above looks shit though. Who wrote this style? Surely not vbulletin themselves?)

Sydney Hacker
29th April 2010, 07:08 AM
Another fan here.... if that counts for anything !

LarryLong
29th April 2010, 07:25 AM
It looks better on my monitor at work, much more readable for some reason. Please don't tell my that I'm going to have to turn into a computer ho so that I can read OzGolf. :)

3oneday
29th April 2010, 07:34 AM
Well, it gives me a headache, and it makes it harder to browse whilst at work as it stands out so much from any other webpage that I look at, ie it doesn't blend in with normal pages. I've looked at it for 2 minutes and my eyes ache, sorry.

I'll miss you Henno.

Scottt
29th April 2010, 07:40 AM
it makes it harder to browse whilst at work as it stands out so much from any other webpage that I look at, ie it doesn't blend in with normal pages.

That is a mssive point. It screams "NOT WORK RELATED!!!!!!!!!"

henno
29th April 2010, 07:40 AM
I'll miss you Henno.

You're not going anywhere and you know it. :razz: It'll be just like the time you decided to quit selling golf clubs.....

.... for an afternoon.

gazgolf1
29th April 2010, 07:48 AM
it's enough to make me stay away

Love the new look, pleeaase keep it.

just
29th April 2010, 07:48 AM
It looks better on my monitor at work, much more readable for some reason. Please don't tell my that I'm going to have to turn into a computer ho so that I can read OzGolf. :)
And that's the point, it is monitor dependent, on a good monitor it looks alright, but on an average monitor, it is very, very ordinary. I have an average monitor at home and it was barely readable. As to Courty contention that white on black is easier to read, he is just plain wrong when it comes to most conditions. It only works in low light or dark conditions, in bright office lights it doesn't stand out all and makes it harder to read.

Ultimately it's not a democracy and you can do what you like, but it won't change the fact that it's shithouse.

henno
29th April 2010, 07:58 AM
Most studies on the subject have concluded that (generally) black-on-white is easier to read while white-on-black causes less strain on the eyes over time. The latter is why many programmers choose a white-on-black screen configuration, this geek included.

Moe Norman
29th April 2010, 08:04 AM
as with most things, people will forget about it in about 3 days.

The same whiners whined about the last change, now they are whining about changing from what they whined about.

who cares if it doesn't look work related, if thats a big issue - don't look at work?!

PeteyD
29th April 2010, 08:13 AM
Not as easy to blend in with work. A bit in your face but I do like it.

just
29th April 2010, 08:17 AM
The same whiners whined about the last change, now they are whining about changing from what they whined about.
Incorrect, but don't let that stop you from making broad brush generalisations that have no basis in fact.

who cares if it doesn't look work related, if thats a big issue - don't look at work?!
This is not an issue for me, however forums rely on traffic to keep them going, less traffic less posts, eventually no forum.

Chris32
29th April 2010, 08:25 AM
As a printer there are a few colour combinations that I hate, but this is not one of them, its not too bad

My eyes do hurt a little though after reading this thread, as its such a change from everything else I look at

I don't mind it though, and in a few days it will feel normal!

AndyP
29th April 2010, 08:33 AM
Also there seems to be a bug in the stylesheet (or it's simply missing) where the pagination buttons aren't highlighting the current page you are on.The problem is known, and as you say, it should be an easy fix for Courty.

less traffic less posts, eventually no forum.
less traffic less posts less wankers

just
29th April 2010, 08:35 AM
less traffic less posts less wankers
Are you going to stop posting?

virge666
29th April 2010, 08:39 AM
I am a fan of this format - the black does reflect a little more of the background on my laptop - but that is my only gripe.

:)

Eldrick
29th April 2010, 08:41 AM
doesn't Vbulletin allow you to choose different "skins" ?
i seem to remember a few forums that gave the user the option through a drop down menu
somewhere at the bottom of the page near the language selector

Daves
29th April 2010, 08:42 AM
If you don't like it I guess you can always get out and play more golf;)

Getting used to it, but would prefer Vision yellow over the green:lol:

AndyP
29th April 2010, 08:45 AM
doesn't Vbulletin allow you to choose different "skins" ?Yes, it does, but we prefer one style only.

terrys
29th April 2010, 08:45 AM
I like it

solarman
29th April 2010, 08:56 AM
Because I play golf with a moderator and I don't want to be banned, I like this colour scheme.

Courty is definitely a wanker as Mike says.

sms316
29th April 2010, 09:05 AM
I actually like it.

live4golf
29th April 2010, 09:40 AM
Looks good.

Although my Avatar now looks crappy :(

goughy
29th April 2010, 09:41 AM
however forums rely on traffic to keep them going, less traffic less posts, eventually no forum.

Not the case here. Firstly, we don't have sponsors to keep the site running. It's just us. If we have 5 members we still have a forum as it's owned by an individual. Business's rely on traffic to keep them going. We don't.

Topdog
29th April 2010, 09:49 AM
It's only a colour change ,but I do agree it does stand out when at work.

The content of the post are more important then the colour and this will bring people back.

If you still like the old blue format there is always sandtrap forum.

Give it a few weeks and then if it is still not to your liking then post a comment.

Happy golfing.

TourFit
29th April 2010, 10:00 AM
Not a huge fan, but then again I don't hate it either. I will get used to it easier than the wife's bitchin'...

(I also don't have the issue of work related post reading - it IS work related for me...and I'm the Boss!!)

Eag's
29th April 2010, 10:01 AM
I am a member at a few other forums with a similar layout so it suits me just fine.
Like any change it will take awhile to get used to.

Tongueboy
29th April 2010, 10:05 AM
whatever

solarman
29th April 2010, 10:06 AM
I actually like it.

sms...surely you can't be serious with that avatar of yours. From now on we are a purely business relationship...never took you for being so gheyness.

just
29th April 2010, 10:20 AM
Not the case here. Firstly, we don't have sponsors to keep the site running. It's just us. If we have 5 members we still have a forum as it's owned by an individual. Business's rely on traffic to keep them going. We don't.
Goughy
My point wasn't about sponsors, without forum participation there is no forum. You might keep the site running but what would be the point without participation, eventually you would lose interest. Not that I'm suggesting that's the case here. As you say, it's your forum do what you like with it.

Eag's
29th April 2010, 10:27 AM
If people suddenly stopped coming to this forum due to a layout change I would be very, very surprised.
I have read all 5 pages of the feedback so far and only one person has mentioned not coming back, so I think this place will be around a little longer.

AndyP
29th April 2010, 10:31 AM
It's a 2:1 ratio in favour of the style. Once people get used to it the ratio will be higher.

BrisVegas
29th April 2010, 10:34 AM
It's a 2:1 ratio in favour of the style. Once people get used to it the ratio will be higher.

why do you care?

henno
29th April 2010, 10:36 AM
AndyP loves statistics. I'm sure he works out "effective spoonfulls" when eating his morning cereal.

sms316
29th April 2010, 10:38 AM
sms...surely you can't be serious with that avatar of yours. From now on we are a purely business relationship...never took you for being so gheyness.

And I was going to ask if you wanted to be my roomie at the Champs.

Jarro
29th April 2010, 10:41 AM
Suck it up whingers ..... green is here to stay !!! :)

Seriously, it'll grow on ya .... and i'll always be here so it's worthwhile coming back.

solarman
29th April 2010, 10:44 AM
And I was going to ask if you wanted to be my roomie at the Champs.

I heard that Haysey was a little more USER friendly so to speak.

Dcanto
29th April 2010, 10:44 AM
I neither love nor hate the new style. One advantage this new style has for me though is that the colour scheme is close to the colour scheme used by my employer for their website. I can now sneek a quick look at work and people will think I'm just looking at our own website. :)

just
29th April 2010, 11:06 AM
Suck it up whingers ..... green is here to stay !!! :)

Seriously, it'll grow on ya .... and i'll always be here so it's worthwhile coming back.
Jarro
To make it clear, the green is not the problem, it's the black background.

AndyP
29th April 2010, 11:08 AM
I'm guessing some of you aren't a fan of this google search site then:
http://www.blackle.com/

sms316
29th April 2010, 11:12 AM
.... not the problem, it's the black

Racist!!!

just
29th April 2010, 11:14 AM
Racist!!!
What did you expect I was born in South Africa and lived in Far North Queensland as a kid.

Iain
29th April 2010, 11:15 AM
I like it....

Jarro
29th April 2010, 11:36 AM
Jarro
To make it clear, the green is not the problem, it's the black background.

Okey Dokey mate ... i can understand that a few of you will have problems with the black background, and i'm sorry for that :(

However, i like it :)

Moe Norman
29th April 2010, 11:46 AM
its more of a grey than black.

AndyP
29th April 2010, 11:48 AM
I think Courty said it was charcoal.

henno
29th April 2010, 11:53 AM
I think Courty said it was charcoal.

I like to call it #080808.

PeteyD
29th April 2010, 11:55 AM
I like to call it #080808.

Geekazoid

Rusty
29th April 2010, 12:11 PM
my 2c - it's too much of a contrast for me. used to prefer white on black, now the other way 'round - darker colour on lightish background.

goughy
29th April 2010, 12:13 PM
Needs some orange!

sms316
29th April 2010, 12:13 PM
It's gun metal.

CobraSS
29th April 2010, 12:54 PM
I like it

Dotty
29th April 2010, 01:04 PM
The flat-screen (LCD?) at work handles the new scheme better than the CRT at home.

Ironically, green-on-black is similar to mainframe screens here, so it doesn't attract much attention. My personal problem is the finer font (on black) is hard to read, esp. the green.

No great loss. If I find anything interesting, I can always cut-and-paste into Notepad.

henno
29th April 2010, 01:18 PM
No great loss. If I find anything interesting, I can always cut-and-paste into Notepad.

Or just hit CTRL and + to increase the font size (or CTRL and scroll wheel on many browsers).

AndyP
29th April 2010, 01:20 PM
Or just hit CTRL and + to increase the font size (or CTRL and scroll wheel on many browsers).I was going to suggest that. The style itself is "fluid" so it automatically uses up all of the window space and doesn't go beyond that.

Baudwalker
29th April 2010, 01:48 PM
The solution for those that find it objectionable is really quite simple.....

LOOK THE OTHER WAY WHILE YOU USE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goonie
29th April 2010, 03:20 PM
It's just to hard to read. it hurts your eyes, and then the reply text boxes are black text on white again, WTF

Jono
29th April 2010, 03:42 PM
For a minute there, I thought my tumour must be getting bigger and compressing on the optic nerve. ;)

I must agree with Scottt on this one ...

Yossarian
29th April 2010, 03:48 PM
It gets easier to read for me, changing to another website is a bit of a shock though.

I can see how some people might find it hard to read but it doesn't look bad just different.

It would be a shame if people are driven away because of difficulty in reading some threads but other than that i think it is sweet.

virge666
29th April 2010, 05:35 PM
One Suggestion ... and only a suggestion.

Would it not be better to have the thread title in white and the author and thread information in the harder to read green... right now the smaller author information, even though in a small font, dominates the green thread title.

This is on the list of threads pages - of course.

dan
29th April 2010, 05:49 PM
This black stuff has to go. Let me have a crack at the site.... I won't even charge for it. ;)

markTHEblake
29th April 2010, 05:50 PM
Need to make the quick reply text box a dark background as well.
The white background seems to shine to brightly after looking at all the black.

And I cant tell which Page number the thread is on any more, unless the First or Last button is missing. The page number should be highlighted with somethng different.

Moe Norman
29th April 2010, 05:53 PM
I've come to the conclusion that all the people that think its hard to read must be viewing on very crappy old computers.

Taste is one thing, but saying it hurts your eyes and you can't read must mean there is something crazy going on

Moe Norman
29th April 2010, 05:55 PM
And I cant tell which Page number the thread is on any more, unless the First or Last button is missing. The page number should be highlighted with somethng different.

'Page 5 of 5' isn't giving it away?

markTHEblake
29th April 2010, 06:30 PM
Good idea Moe, Inever looked there before! i have always gone off which page number is highlighted, probbaly cos that is closest to the Next button

AndyP
29th April 2010, 06:33 PM
Classic stuff, guys. Keep it coming.

markTHEblake
29th April 2010, 06:43 PM
Taste is one thing, but saying it hurts your eyes and you can't read must mean there is something crazy going on

Spoken like a young man who has not yet to experience degenerative ageing effects

Courty
29th April 2010, 07:01 PM
The page numbering should be fixed in a few minutes, and I'll investigate a few of the other constructive suggestions.

virge666
29th April 2010, 07:02 PM
Spoken like a young man who has not yet to experience degenerative ageing effects

Or using a Laptop with the new whizz bang shiny glare resistant true life screens.

just
29th April 2010, 07:08 PM
Can I ask why bother posting a thread about the change if you didn't want to discuss the change? AP you said yourself it's not a democracy, if you are going to do it and then get all sensitive the responses don't bother posting the thread. Just do it.

AndyP
29th April 2010, 07:27 PM
Can I ask why bother posting a thread about the change if you didn't want to discuss the change? It's an announcement to let people know what's going on. If Courty didn't start a thread, someone else would've in response to seeing the changes.

AP you said yourself it's not a democracy, A bit of a joke directed to Courty, but people seemed to run with it.

if you are going to do it and then get all sensitive the responses don't bother posting the thread. Just do it.What would you assume that I'm sensitive about it? I can't see why you would think so from my responses. Courty is the one that has spent time on it.

Some of the criticism is laughable, and I'll take it more seriously after a few days, after it has been given a chance. Not within 12 hours (overnight) like some of the comments.

just
29th April 2010, 07:40 PM
Some of the criticism is laughable, and I'll take it more seriously after a few days, after it has been given a chance. Not within 12 hours (overnight) like some of the comments.
Which criticism is laughable? Pinpoint an instance. If someone says it's hard to read the who are you to judge that this is not the case. I have provided a number of criticisms in this thread and yet you ignore them. How much would an alternative skin cost?

KristianJ
29th April 2010, 07:41 PM
vBulletin has an option that you can enable whereby you can create various skins and give users the option of what suits them. Is there anything realistic that stops that being a possibility here?

markTHEblake
29th April 2010, 08:08 PM
Is there anything realistic that stops that being a possibility here?

Yes, megalomania.

Dazza
29th April 2010, 08:12 PM
The new scheme is far too hard on my eyes.

I don't care how good a forum is, if it's going to end up in a headache then it's just not worth viewing.

shazza_rs
29th April 2010, 08:16 PM
It was a shock when i first loaded up the page at work this arvo. Upon using it for the last couple of hours I'm getting used to it. The black is less severe on my home laptop than it is on my work computer. Our primary data entry program 'auslab' is a green print on black screen. I could just get away with it more now :)

AndyP
29th April 2010, 08:29 PM
I have provided a number of criticisms in this thread and yet you ignore them. Why do you expect me to act on them straight away? I've already said that I was giving members a chance to get used to the forum. Did you expect the forum to be reset back to the blue straight away? Surely Courty should be given the opportunity to look at some of the issues when he gets home.

How much would an alternative skin cost?Time, just like this one.

goonie
29th April 2010, 08:47 PM
vBulletin has an option that you can enable whereby you can create various skins and give users the option of what suits them. Is there anything realistic that stops that being a possibility here?

Yes can we please please enable this feature?

just
29th April 2010, 08:48 PM
Why do you expect me to act on them straight away? I've already said that I was giving members a chance to get used to the forum. Did you expect the forum to be reset back to the blue straight away? Surely Courty should be given the opportunity to look at some of the issues when he gets home.
I don't expect that. And no one has said return to the blue either. We all understand that time spent on the forum by yourself and Courty is volunteer labour and we all respect, appreciate and are grateful for that. I know some of us, including me, could have put our criticism in better terms, but all we get in reply is stare at it long enough and it will all get better and get told our reactions are laughable. Any way I've made my point and you've made yours so no more posts in this thread from me.

henno
29th April 2010, 09:57 PM
Get your eyes checked or get new computer screen/graphics card. Saying you don't like the colours is one thing, but all of this "Ahhhh my eyes are burning! I can't see! The goggles, they do nothing!" business is what's truly laughable.

(EDIT: This is not a response to just, despite it reading that way.)

Yossarian
29th April 2010, 09:59 PM
Real acid?

TheBoz_fromOz
29th April 2010, 10:22 PM
Hi Courty, The look is very fresh and cool but I am the same as Mark, its like a strobe light going off for me with a lot of straining, Cheers, Boz..

markTHEblake
29th April 2010, 10:35 PM
Get your eyes checked

I did, they are stuffed. Any other suggestions?

admittedly the black spots that float around everywhere in front of me I no longer see on a black background, but thats the least of my issues.

goughy
30th April 2010, 05:11 AM
Yes can we please please enable this feature?

It's not so much that it's a feature we can't enable at some point. This skin has taken a lot of time to do, and there are still little things to do here and there. It isn't something that was just turned on. It's been in testing, finding bugs etc for probably 3 weeks before going live. Courty is not paid for this. I don't even know if we know what has to be done to enable multiple skins, and user selection of them. Once the kinks are out of this one, I'm sure we'll talk about it, and have been already, prior to this going live. One step at a time!

Dotty
30th April 2010, 06:30 AM
Thanks Henno. I forgot that any problem can be fixed by buying new equipment. :)

I have the same problem with reading magazine articles that are printed over pictures, or when they use white-on-black.

ps. Douglas Adams may be onto something. 42 is when the eyes started to go south.

Moe Norman
30th April 2010, 09:02 AM

Hey! I'm 29 in a few weeks, and I just got new glasses to wear at work as I found I couldn't read powerpoint presentations on big screens. Although maybe thats because I see alot of presentations from fund managers and they don't want me to be able to read it!

goonie
30th April 2010, 12:15 PM
It's not so much that it's a feature we can't enable at some point. This skin has taken a lot of time to do, and there are still little things to do here and there. It isn't something that was just turned on. It's been in testing, finding bugs etc for probably 3 weeks before going live. Courty is not paid for this. I don't even know if we know what has to be done to enable multiple skins, and user selection of them. Once the kinks are out of this one, I'm sure we'll talk about it, and have been already, prior to this going live. One step at a time!

Can't the previous skin be used as an alternative in the mean time, it already exists so there is no development time needed to get it working.

AndyP
30th April 2010, 12:16 PM
Can't the previous skin be used as an alternative in the mean time, it already exists so there is no development time needed to get it working.Sorry, setting this one up ruined it.

jaybam
30th April 2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks for all the work guys is looking good. Once again different but change is good and we will all adapt. Cheers

pom
30th April 2010, 07:14 PM
Gotta admit that I rather like the new look. Bit hard on the eyes at first but soon get used to it.

Yossarian
30th April 2010, 07:17 PM
It just dawned on me why a black-white-lime combo seemed familiar. (Three letters. Starts with I.)

Gotta admit that I rather like the new look. Bit hard on the eyes at first but soon get used to it.

:-k

AndyP
30th April 2010, 07:20 PM
I must admit that when Courty first showed me the style, I thought it looked like ISG. But on closer inspection, ISG only use a similar colour scheme for their header. The rest of their pages are white.

Yossarian
30th April 2010, 07:22 PM
:lol:

Grunt
30th April 2010, 07:41 PM
Liking it more each day. And I liked it alot first time.

AndyP
30th April 2010, 07:53 PM
Are you barring up, Grunt?

Grunt
30th April 2010, 07:54 PM
Could be

AndyP
30th April 2010, 08:05 PM
Courty Posts per Day before style update: 5.7
Courty Posts per Day after style update: 2

What have you bastards done to him?

LarryLong
30th April 2010, 08:06 PM
Maybe he can't see anymore.

After all, he has been looking at the new styles for three whole weeks.

:twisted:

Scottt
30th April 2010, 08:18 PM
I'm down with the black, but the green still looks bad and clashes with all sorts of other stuff on the site, IMO.

Green just isn't a complementary colour, IMO.

Jarro
30th April 2010, 08:27 PM
It's going rather well don't you think ?

Courty
30th April 2010, 08:41 PM
Courty Posts per Day before style update: 5.7
Courty Posts per Day after style update: 2

What have you bastards done to him?

Just coincidence. I've been rather busy with work/ family etc recently. And when I am home I've been working on the site rather than posting.

There's some sort of issue preventing me from changing the page number colour, but I'm still working on it.

henno
30th April 2010, 08:44 PM
There's some sort of issue preventing me from changing the page number colour, but I'm still working on it.

What sort of issue? Give me two minutes and access to the css file and I'll have it done.

Seriously, just say the word. (In fact, after another couple of beers I might just post the few lines of CSS anyway for shits and giggles.)

Courty
30th April 2010, 08:46 PM
What sort of issue?

I've amended the element titled pagination_current_background in Stylevar but it doesnt update on the live site. I've asked the question at vBulletin support so I anticipate a resolution from them shortly.

henno
30th April 2010, 08:50 PM
I've amended the element titled pagination_current_background in Stylevar but it doesnt update on the live site. I've asked the question at vBulletin support so I anticipate a resolution from them shortly.

I'm not sure where that is, for the 10 second look I gave it, but it looks like the "selected" class is the one that needs editing (in the pagination_bottom and pagination_top divs).

Courty
30th April 2010, 08:57 PM
I'm not sure where that is, for the 10 second look I gave it, but it looks like the "selected" class is the one that needs editing (in the pagination_bottom and pagination_top divs).

Stylevar is a UI for altering common variables in vBulletin. It's supposed to make it easier for people like me. I'm not a code-monkey so I didn't get a lot of sense out of what you just said. :neutral:

henno
30th April 2010, 09:01 PM
Oh right. Well like most UIs for text config files, it sounds like it is more complicated than the plantext file it's editing!

Eldrick
30th April 2010, 09:22 PM
I like turtles

PeteyD
1st May 2010, 03:57 AM
I like eggs. Even Green eggs and ham, Sam I Am, I will eat them with a goat.

Courty
1st May 2010, 04:26 PM
What sort of issue?

Apparently there was some legacy of the previous version left in the code after the recent upgrade (common issue for early-adopters with this version). I was able to paste in the correct code from the support forums. As you can see, it's now working.

Grunt
1st May 2010, 04:29 PM
Courty/AP

Top Button no longer working.

AndyP
1st May 2010, 05:12 PM
This was reported by Eag's a few weeks ago. I can't see why anyone would use it, when the New Posts button is down the bottom.

Grunt
1st May 2010, 05:22 PM
was not an issue for me but i thought i would let you guys know

Courty
1st May 2010, 09:13 PM
Reply box has been changed to dark background with light text.

markTHEblake
2nd May 2010, 11:52 AM
Courty thanks for getting the page number highlighted.

adlo
2nd May 2010, 01:02 PM
I much prefer the new look. The blue was terrible.

Jarro
2nd May 2010, 02:55 PM
Nice work Courty

You deserve a pay-rise

Courty
2nd May 2010, 04:36 PM
You deserve a pay-rise

:lol:

:-s

Dazza
2nd May 2010, 05:08 PM
It's growing on me. Much better on the monitor at home.

Courty
2nd May 2010, 05:11 PM
It's growing on me. Much better on the monitor at home.

I've made a bunch of small changes to take the edge of the contrast/ glare. There's more to come, too.

Eag's
2nd May 2010, 06:00 PM
Cheers for your efforts Courty :)

ParMaster
2nd May 2010, 06:49 PM
Yeah I quite like it now. It just takes time to get used to.

Courty
2nd May 2010, 09:55 PM
Yeah I quite like it now. It just takes time to get used to.

Cha-ching! :D

Yossarian
3rd May 2010, 12:00 PM
Looks good courty.

Daves
3rd May 2010, 02:52 PM
The tweaks seems to be coming along nicely. "Turning down" the colour a few notches has certainly improved viewing!

IanO
4th May 2010, 09:27 AM
I don't mind the look but the "Top" button no longer works for me (maybe just me) is this the same for anyone else?

Jarro
4th May 2010, 11:41 AM
I don't mind the look but the "Top" button no longer works for me (maybe just me) is this the same for anyone else?

No, it doesn't work ... somebody has already mentioned that.

kingslayer33
4th May 2010, 11:43 AM
Top button works for me

CobraSS
4th May 2010, 12:47 PM
works for me as well

AndyP
4th May 2010, 04:05 PM
IanO, I think the button problem is browser specific. I don't think many people use it anyway, as the 'New Posts' button is more useful.

Courty
4th May 2010, 04:10 PM
IanO, I think the button problem is browser specific. I don't think many people use it anyway, as the 'New Posts' button is more useful.

You are correct. It works for me in Safari, but not in Firefox. I'm not worried either way, as I've never used it.

Jarro
4th May 2010, 04:17 PM
Well i use Firefox and i used to use the 'Top' button all the time.

What kind of Admin team have we got running this joint ? :roll:

sms316
4th May 2010, 06:45 PM
Works in IE, as most things do.

Eag's
4th May 2010, 06:45 PM
IE is the Devil.

AndyP
4th May 2010, 07:17 PM
Works in IE, as most things do.
Is that big space above quotes still there?

goughy
4th May 2010, 07:27 PM
We have a 'Top' button? What's 'Tops' about it! Does the Chief appear with a stupid grin on his face and his thumb pointed up at you.

Fishman Dan
4th May 2010, 08:47 PM
Can I say I don't like it now?

sms316
5th May 2010, 03:13 AM
Is that big space above quotes still there?

Negative.

Yossarian
6th May 2010, 02:01 PM
SA and QLD are close to the same colour in the 1st tee section?? Do QLD really want to be crow eaters?

AndyP
6th May 2010, 02:03 PM
SA and QLD are the same colour in the 1st tee section?? No, they aren't.

Yossarian
6th May 2010, 02:18 PM
How dare you misquote me sir.

Courty
12th May 2010, 08:43 PM
1st post updated. 8)

Dotty
12th May 2010, 08:48 PM
1st post updated. 8)
Thank you. I can see again.

Much appreciated.

Grunt
13th May 2010, 04:42 AM
Actually like the lights on style more. But you will always get that with choices wont you.

AndyP
13th May 2010, 05:44 AM
The white style will not have the new posts button at the bottom of each thread and will not have the chat buttoning the menu tabs.

BrisVegas
13th May 2010, 07:21 AM
Thanks courty! The white background is much easier on the eyes. Much appreciated.

just
13th May 2010, 07:24 AM
Thanks Courty, much appreciated. You're a much nicer guy than that AndyP bloke.

AndyP
13th May 2010, 07:38 AM
Ha!

AndyP
13th May 2010, 10:34 AM
Edit: I have just added a second style for those who don't like the dark 'Lights Off' style. Scroll to the bottom of the page and use the Quick Style Chooser (see image below) to select 'Lights On' to see the alternate style. Please be aware that some features (such as banners) will not be supported in the Lights On style. This may or may not be reviewed in the future.
To make this change more "permanent", go to your settings and change the 'Forum Skin' there: http://www.ozgolf.net/profile.php?do=editoptions

We hope that the 'Lights On' style will also be more download friendly for those that may have to use dialup or mobiles (without Tapatalk), as well as, being more work friendly. To help with this, you may want to go into the Options area linked above and uncheck 'Show Signatures', 'Show Avatars' and 'Show Images'.

Once again, at this stage, the 'Lights On' skin will not be supported to the same level as the 'Lights Off' in relation to extra functionality and any style clashes, so we encourage the use of the 'Light Off' style.

mike
13th May 2010, 04:38 PM
Much prefer the black.

Ned
15th May 2010, 05:40 PM
Mods,

Suggestion's for people who have crappy ISP service.

Found out today that a couple of members who are still on dial up (in part due to their location) have difficulty with new format as obviously dial up sucks.

Is there a "Lite" version that people with crappy ISP's can use or another viewing program (similar to Tapatalk for mobiles etc) ?

mike
15th May 2010, 09:07 PM
25 posts to a page now?

That's it. I'm leaving.

AndyP
15th May 2010, 10:08 PM
Is there a "Lite" version that people with crappy ISP's can use or another viewing program (similar to Tapatalk for mobiles etc) ?
Did you read any of my above post? And have they tried it?

I can't see how the current style is any more download heavy than the blue we were temporarily using anyway.

AndyP
15th May 2010, 10:09 PM
25 posts to a page now?

That's it. I'm leaving.
The default is now 25, but you can change it in your options. Try that. Or leave.

dan
15th May 2010, 10:13 PM
Big thanks for the Light on. Much better!

Ned
15th May 2010, 11:13 PM
Did you read any of my above post? And have they tried it?

I can't see how the current style is any more download heavy than the blue we were temporarily using anyway.

AndyP, I did read it and no I dont know if the dial ups have.

Ill email it to them and hopefully it helps.

As for what is and isnt good, I have NFI, thats why it was a question for the Mods!

AndyP
16th May 2010, 04:25 AM
As for what is and isnt good, I have NFI, thats why it was a question for the Mods!Nearly every site is slow to load using dialup these days. I use dialup myself now and then and it's a frustrating experience.

jaybam
16th May 2010, 09:20 AM
Tried the lights on but am used to this now and its not so bright. One thing i did notice is there is no "new posts" button at the bottom of the lights on version. Thanks for the hard work anyway guys.

kingslayer33
16th May 2010, 10:03 AM
Jaybam I think Andy knows this. See post #212 above

henno
17th May 2010, 10:26 AM
I'm pretty sure this image is not supposed to have a white background, nor be blue. (It's supposed to make the quotes look like a speech bubble.)

http://www.ozgolf.net/images/styles/augreensmc/misc/quote-left.png

Courty
17th May 2010, 05:36 PM
I'm pretty sure this image is not supposed to have a white background, nor be blue. (It's supposed to make the quotes look like a speech bubble.)

Thansk Henno, I'll look into it.

AndyP
25th May 2010, 09:28 AM
The paypal donation buttons have returned to the bottom of the page.

Courty
25th May 2010, 05:24 PM
Yay!

Grunt
25th May 2010, 05:28 PM
Good work Guys.

goonie
25th May 2010, 09:22 PM
White style is so much better, thanks.

AndyP
26th May 2010, 10:06 AM
White style is so much better, thanks.In your opinion, but you're welcome.

goonie
27th May 2010, 10:25 PM
In your opinion, but you're welcome.

Not just mine :-)

Eag's
27th May 2010, 11:49 PM
Most of the blokes I have played with recently have given the new look the thumbs up.
I like the layout as it is right now, no need to do anymore.

Jarro
28th May 2010, 02:24 PM
Am i missing something or have all the forum stats disappeared ?

AndyP
28th May 2010, 03:41 PM
Do you mean the stats that were displayed via the portal we used to have?

Jarro
28th May 2010, 03:46 PM
Do you mean the stats that were displayed via the portal we used to have?

Yeah, that'd be them

AndyP
28th May 2010, 03:53 PM
It is not displayed anymore, but there is probably a modification around that might show some. Anything in particular that you are missing?

Jarro
28th May 2010, 03:55 PM
No not really.

I just viewed them sometimes to see what was popular on the site ... most viewed threads .... that sort of thing.

I was just wondering if they were still here somewhere and i couldn't find them

sms316
29th May 2010, 10:16 AM
Don't suppose the display of your PM box status (% full etc) could be moved to the top of the screen?

AndyP
29th May 2010, 10:46 AM
That was a crappy change from the previous version of vBulletin. I'll look into it.

Guys, if there is stuff you want changed / added on the forum, then just start a thread in the Suggestion Box forum and we can discuss and track it there.

Courty
28th November 2010, 02:25 PM
Bump. :roll:

The current forum style 'Lights Off' has not been supported for quite a few incremental VBulletin updates, so it looks like we may need a completely new style.

Watch this space.

AndyP
28th November 2010, 02:33 PM
Is there anything in it that has stopped working though?

Tapatalk didn't break the forum, it was the one armed man.

Courty
28th November 2010, 02:39 PM
Is there anything in it that has stopped working though?

The forum itself seems entirely functional, but there are now some elements of the style which are broken.

Jarro
28th November 2010, 02:41 PM
Tapatalk should fix the problem :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

golfbound
30th November 2010, 10:28 PM
is there any reason i can see my name and password when i log in the text is the same colour as the box im using firefox on a mac.

Jarro
28th February 2011, 03:24 PM
The forum itself seems entirely functional, but there are now some elements of the style which are broken.

Any news on any fixes for these faults Courty ?

I still can't get the New Posts tab to work with the lights off style ???

Grunt
28th February 2011, 03:26 PM
Working fine for me with lights off Jarro. Lights off is the black background isn't it?

AndyP
28th February 2011, 03:34 PM
The 'New Posts' button down the bottom?

I'm sure Courty had addressed all of the little style issues.

Jarro
28th February 2011, 03:37 PM
Sorry, i beg your pardon, it was the Top button bottom right that didn't/doesn't work :oops:

Grunt
28th February 2011, 03:42 PM
Top button works for me, i am using Google Chrome.

mike
28th February 2011, 07:13 PM
I still can't put any moderators on ignore.

AndyP
28th February 2011, 08:44 PM
Sorry, i beg your pardon, it was the Top button bottom right that didn't/doesn't work :oops:
It has actually been discussed before. It is a vbulletin fault that only happens with certain browsers.
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/18724-New-Forum-look/page8
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/18024-Forum-Upgrades/page4