PDA

View Full Version : Bad news about my R7

Golfgirl
28th May 2004, 12:11 PM
The bad news: I'm not getting one....

Hubby went to the launch last night and came home to tell me at 11pm that I am not getting one because it won't be at all suitable for me. :(

The R7 is for higher swing speed players because it has low spin rate, which apparently means that I would be lucky to get the ball into the air. Matt says that he would be surprised if it was suitable for any bar the best of amateur players.... why do companies release products like this??? There are more "ordinary" players than "top" players..... :?

The Taylormade rep told hubby to buy me a Miscela.... no point trying anything else, 'cause I hit like a girl.... well, duh! :oops: :roll:

So anyway, I still need a new driver... any suggestions would be much appreciated.... :wink:

amanda
28th May 2004, 12:17 PM
Hey GG - it's all marketing hype - "use the equipment of the pros and you can play like one too" :?

If you're wanting a smallish head, try SMT Nemsis 12* (14* might be too much loft for you since you can already smash the ball 200m!). If head size is not a deciding factor - then everyone tells me that the Babylon is the most forgiving club and with great distance and ball flight.

Or what about the new Cobra ladies driver? 13.5* I believe (not sure about the launch angle)

Golfgirl
28th May 2004, 12:21 PM
Yeah - thanks Amanda,

Smaller head would be better, I seem to have difficulty with the larger heads.... although, haven't tried one since the swing changes, so who knows now.... I think I could manage a loft as low as 10/11 degrees... but I am only guessing. :?

I need a proper club fit done I think.... but Matt is too damn busy with this new job to help me out. :idea:

Amanda - anywhere in Sydney that you would recommend??? :?:

kwantfm
28th May 2004, 12:31 PM
Golfgirl,

What size clubhead do you prefer? What is your swingspeed and typical shot shape? What handicap do you play off?

Cheers,
Terence

andylo
28th May 2004, 12:33 PM
Well GG, I think the TM rep is BS....

I been told the same in the TM demo day on wednesday.... bascially he only got 2 R7s, with a bunch of R500s and that XR05....

I didn't hit the R500 and XR05 very well (slice + hook) because I don't like them and not swing them seriously, I was waiting for those prople returning the R7.

And the rep told me that R7 are for better player and suggest I should use R580XD, and I argue that I am not that bad.

Anyway, toward to the end, the R7s return, I swung an 10.5 stiff R7.... long and straight with slight draw and it almost reach the back fence of the range, about 10 times. And I look at the rep and he turn his face away :D

Sometime people judge before they really know. I think you should try it yourself 1st, GG :)

Golfgirl
28th May 2004, 12:43 PM
Golfgirl,

What size clubhead do you prefer? What is your swingspeed and typical shot shape? What handicap do you play off?

Cheers,
Terence

Terence,

I didn't know you were over here, but you may be the man to help me!!

To answer your questions...

never been a fan of big heads.... the size of my current driver is not stamped on it, it seems pretty small... it is a Retco Mid Sized Metal from out of my original set of golf clubs.... I did have a Wilson Deep Red as well.... also, tried Callaway Warbird.... never have managed to hit a "huge" head driver well...

I have major swing changes in progress, and I am now nearly 80% producing a high draw, which I prefer to the weak cut/block which I used to produce.

Can't tell you about clubhead speed, as noone has had time to check me, but I am swinging it a lot faster than I used to (think was only 80mph??) or at least I think I am because I am hitting it about 20m further....

Hmmm.... this is probably not very helpful to you.... as you can tell, I am confused on the issue..... but I know that current driver is holding me back and needs to go.

Any advice would certainly be appreciated.... thanks!

kwantfm
28th May 2004, 01:09 PM
GG,

How far do you now hit driver and 5-iron? Should provide some idea about your clubhead speed. If your old driver was steel then it may be as small as 250 cc... which is a lot smaller than the current generation of heads.

We'll have to have a chat about the benefits of deep face drivers, high tees and vertical gear effect some time!

Cheers,
Terence

McMw
28th May 2004, 01:35 PM
I don't know andylo.... :?

if he was a "good" TM Rep - he would have done the right thing and basically blow air up ur @$$ and said that this was the driver for you blah blah blah blah...

the fact that he commented against the R7 says (to me) that he's not BS...and that he knows what he's talking about...

hey....put it this way....if I was in his shoes...I would have promoted the R7 so heavily (more exp driver) than any of the other crap they would have had lying around!!!

and hey...who's to say you didn't lucky on the 1 drive!!! :wink: :lol:
I know I drive it like a real PRO when I'm at the driving range trying out other ppl's driver, then commenting why I'm still stuck with my useless POS driver!!! :oops:

amanda
28th May 2004, 02:20 PM
GG - I was very wary of big-headed drivers (Brad and I used to call them "baby-head" drivers) - the Nemesis is 370cc which sounds big but doesn't seem that huge at address.

The Deep Bore I can't handle - 455cc!

I demoed a Nemesis with mens Reg VS339 shaft - sweet setup and even though it was only 10*, I was hitting it at least as far as my 14* - a little more roll, less flight.

I'm not sure who to recommend to get a fitting off in Sydney - at least 2 hours from Shellharbour to Advantage (in Crows Nest) or GCI (Baulkham Hills). Just make Matt fit you in!

andylo
28th May 2004, 02:35 PM
I don't know andylo.... :?

if he was a "good" TM Rep - he would have done the right thing and basically blow air up ur @$$ and said that this was the driver for you blah blah blah blah...

the fact that he commented against the R7 says (to me) that he's not BS...and that he knows what he's talking about...

hey....put it this way....if I was in his shoes...I would have promoted the R7 so heavily (more exp driver) than any of the other crap they would have had lying around!!!

and hey...who's to say you didn't lucky on the 1 drive!!! :wink: :lol:
I know I drive it like a real PRO when I'm at the driving range trying out other ppl's driver, then commenting why I'm still stuck with my useless POS driver!!! :oops:

I think you are right Mau..... I guess he knows what he's talking about (come to think of it)

But Mau, I drove 9-10 balls off with R7.... they all go straight and far :) Not just one... so it's not just lucky (I think) :)

Anyway.... GG.... also have a look the O2 of SMT.... its a baby version of the DB455. I never try it but I guess it will look a lot smaller :)

McMw
28th May 2004, 02:55 PM
I drove 9-10 balls off with R7.... they all go straight and far :) Not just one... so it's not just lucky (I think) :)

IT MEANS you should go BUY ONE!!!
did u take note of the specifcations???

Jarro
28th May 2004, 03:48 PM
i can't see why you wouldn't be able to hit an R7 Golfgirl :?

just make sure you get a shaft thats suited to your swing .... easy 8)

I hit Nudgee's (Now Gazgolf1's) and it was so easy to hit it wasn't funny 8)

No harder to hit than any other new driver out there. I say just grab one and give it a go .... they are awesome :)

andylo
28th May 2004, 04:07 PM
i can't see why you wouldn't be able to hit an R7 Golfgirl

just make sure you get a shaft thats suited to your swing .... easy

I hit Nudgee's (Now Gazgolf1's) and it was so easy to hit it wasn't funny

Agree.... anything I can hit it, everyone else can hit it :)

did u take note of the specifcations???

In my pervious post:

I swung an 10.5 stiff R7

What other specification do I need? :?

McMw
28th May 2004, 04:50 PM
the WEIGHTINGS!!! :roll:

macleod
28th May 2004, 06:07 PM
the rep was most likely Kesh if it was in brissie...if he's still doing it..who wouldn't though ;)

kesh is pretty straight down the line about the clubs and whether u should be able to use them, he may not know the retails prices but he has a reasonable amount of knowledge of the specs...not the level that we do though :D

heck, im surprised noone brought up the old RocStar driver in comparison of the variable weighting technology :lol:

Golfgirl
29th May 2004, 01:01 PM
GG,

How far do you now hit driver and 5-iron? Should provide some idea about your clubhead speed. If your old driver was steel then it may be as small as 250 cc... which is a lot smaller than the current generation of heads.

We'll have to have a chat about the benefits of deep face drivers, high tees and vertical gear effect some time!

Cheers,
Terence

Terence,

Driver is anywhere between 170-200m, but starting to consistently get closer to the 200m mark. I don't carry a 5 iron, but I hit 6 iron about 110m and then I switch to a 25* rescue club which I hit 120-130m.

All my clubs are ladies graphite shaft and 1 inch over reg (ie, men's length) and about 3* upright, which is why I don't carry the long irons anymore...

Spoke to my coach yesterday (figured that Matt was busy so I'll go straight to the horse's mouth....) and he confirmed that I will need to replace my driver soon and that he thought that my swing speed was now reaching a point where it would not be inconceivable for me to use a 10* 450cc headed driver shafted with a Senior Flex shaft.... anyway, apparently he has something along those lines at home, so he will bring next week for me to try....

Might get a better idea.... :?

I totally get what you are saying about deep face drivers and teeing it high - I have been (until I made swing changes), teeing the ball up mid to low and more in the middle of my stance, because that is what my swing dictated. I am now finally teeing it up high and opposite my left foot, so that I have more room to release the club head. (Used my first wedge tee last week.... :roll: ) So you can see that I have made some really big changes... :wink:

Thanks!

Jono
29th May 2004, 04:39 PM
Hi Golfgirl,

Your driver distance is about the same as my father. I recently bought him an SMT Babylon 10 degrees with ICON V3 regular shaft (45"). He loves it. He says he's hitting it about 10 meters further and he really likes the solid sound. Sort of in between the tinny sound you commonly associate with large titanium heads and the quieter, more solid sounding persimon heads. I bought it from Terence for a good price.

Now, here's a big caveat. The colour. It is BROWN. It is the browniest brown you can imagine. I think Amanda compared it to the colour of baby poo (or was is baby vomit ... :?: ) :wink: I think SMT does custom colours for a little extra $$ ... I'm sure Terence can fill you in on this.

Good luck.

kwantfm
29th May 2004, 05:20 PM
GG,

Jono's suggestion re: Babylon + A-flex Icon v.3 was exactly what I was thinking of. You don't notice the "brown" colour after you start striping it down the centre!

Cheers,
Terence

Golfgirl
29th May 2004, 05:22 PM
Now, here's a big caveat. The colour. It is BROWN. It is the browniest brown you can imagine. I think Amanda compared it to the colour of baby poo (or was is baby vomit ... :?: ) :wink: I think SMT does custom colours for a little extra $$ ... I'm sure Terence can fill you in on this.

Good luck.

Oh dear.... brown, eh? :lol:

Better look this up on the net so I can check this colour out for myself....

kwantfm
30th May 2004, 10:51 AM
GG,

Happy to send you some email pics of my own Babylon if you PM me your email address.

Cheers,
Terence

Golfgirl
30th May 2004, 08:26 PM
Will do - thanks... :D

McMw
31st May 2004, 11:35 PM
SAW the R7...

damn...it's one light driver... :?
and once I put it down...I was already turned off...
what's with the bloody toe-in??? :evil:

anyway, once I saw that, I lost interest...
the Cleve 400 with Blue regular looked better after that!!! 8) :lol: