PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Titleist Shaft Specs Comparison Guide

goonie
26th April 2010, 11:13 PM
For all those shaft Ho's out there, Who would agree with the shaft comparison on the below Titleist Custom Clubs Brochure? about page 4. It also lists a iron shaft comparison too.

http://www.titleist.com/images/products/pdfs/Custom_20100101.pdf

henno
27th April 2010, 07:04 AM
I didn't find the devotion 6 that low lanuch to be right at the bottom. Certainly low spin but it didn't feel like it launched that low. Maybe that's because they tend to play soft to flex.
Then again, all of my current and recent shafts are in the Low/Low or Low/Low Mid portion of the graph.

goonie
28th April 2010, 08:14 AM
I didn't find the devotion 6 that low lanuch to be right at the bottom. Certainly low spin but it didn't feel like it launched that low. Maybe that's because they tend to play soft to flex.
Then again, all of my current and recent shafts are in the Low/Low or Low/Low Mid portion of the graph.

Aren't you a high ball hitter thou?

goonie
28th April 2010, 08:15 AM
Jeez what an overwhelming response :-)

Hawkers2008
28th April 2010, 08:26 AM
I thought the guide was pretty helpful, its the only thing I have ever seen that compares a wide variety of shafts from most of the manufacturers. I wish I had seen it before I bought my irons. I definately would have tried more shaft configurations and almost certianly would have gone for a different shaft to the stock one.

just
28th April 2010, 08:42 AM
Devotion 6, at least in stiff, is no way that low launching.

BrisVegas
28th April 2010, 08:50 AM
Jeez what an overwhelming response :-)

Is there a shaft in there that you don't agree with? I can't really comment as I've only hit a few of them.

TourFit
28th April 2010, 12:34 PM
These sorts of graphs are OK I guess. Mainly for the 'uninitiated' (absolutely NO offense meant). Remember, that changing the head used will alter the graph !!! As will individual angles of attack into impact. As will the transition and tempo...if you ask me it has too many variables. How many times have you seen one guy hit a head/shaft combo great and then you absolutely cannot get anywhere NEAR his result...

So if it's a Titleist graph, then using a specific Titleist head you 'may' get these results...

Example for me, is that NO WAY do I hit my UST Axiv Black 79 the same height, but with more spin, than the Graphite Design YS6+ !!!! Then again, I have that shaft in a 9015D...but I reckon if I put the YS6+ in that head it will go WAY higher.

There is also no way I hit the Pro Launch Platinum as high as that graph suggests either...or that the V2 75 is that low launch / low spin

goonie
28th April 2010, 01:16 PM
I haven't hit many shafts on the graph, I was just hoping people would comment on to it's general accuracy shaft v shaft from there experience to see if it is a useful general guide to the shaft listed on it, I am fully aware of the changes the head and swing make.

I just want to try and get a shaft that fits me pretty well without having to keep experimenting and wasting money, manufacturers details aren't always accurate so I was hoping this graph may be a useful guide. I am happy with my iron shafts, I just need to get my wood shafts sorted. I think I need a lower torque, higher launching shaft than the Mitsu Bassara, with lower spin if possible. I was looking at the Axiv Red and Green as possiblities but am worried after looking at this graph and it's take on the axiv red.

henno
28th April 2010, 02:02 PM
Jump on a launchy somewhere and hit a thousand different shafts. A guy at my club just bought a new 909D2 and he hit more than a dozen shafts before settling on the one that gave him the best "numbers".

TourFit
28th April 2010, 03:00 PM
I haven't hit many shafts on the graph, I was just hoping people would comment on to it's general accuracy shaft v shaft from there experience to see if it is a useful general guide to the shaft listed on it, I am fully aware of the changes the head and swing make.

I just want to try and get a shaft that fits me pretty well without having to keep experimenting and wasting money, manufacturers details aren't always accurate so I was hoping this graph may be a useful guide. I am happy with my iron shafts, I just need to get my wood shafts sorted. I think I need a lower torque, higher launching shaft than the Mitsu Bassara, with lower spin if possible. I was looking at the Axiv Red and Green as possiblities but am worried after looking at this graph and it's take on the axiv red.

The Bassara is already supposed to be a softer tip high launch shaft anyway...so if you want to hit it HIGHER then don't get the Axiv Red (counter balanced as well, which you seem not to like). The Green will still probably go lower than the Bassara...

...two off the cuff suggestions might be to try the Voodoo, or alternatively the Diamana Red. The Red will still give you high-ish launch (but still maybe a little too high in spin) and is lower in torque than the Bassara. As is the Voodoo. You could always experiment with a little tip trim after trying them (leave 1/4 - 1/2" extra length on the shaft butt initially).

goonie
28th April 2010, 06:46 PM
The Bassara is already supposed to be a softer tip high launch shaft anyway...so if you want to hit it HIGHER then don't get the Axiv Red (counter balanced as well, which you seem not to like). The Green will still probably go lower than the Bassara...

...two off the cuff suggestions might be to try the Voodoo, or alternatively the Diamana Red. The Red will still give you high-ish launch (but still maybe a little too high in spin) and is lower in torque than the Bassara. As is the Voodoo. You could always experiment with a little tip trim after trying them (leave 1/4 - 1/2" extra length on the shaft butt initially).

counter balance might be ok with a heavier shaft, the bassara was 68g cut to length, diamana red is a bit to exxy, was looking at the Axivcores because of the good price, can get those Voodoo's for around the same price but have read that the VS profile Voodoo's have a lower flight than the VS proto and they don't have a 80+ for my 3 wood

TourFit
29th April 2010, 11:44 AM
I didn't find that the SVS7 Voodoo hits it lower than the VS Proto 70 S I have...it DOES feel stiffer and tighter in torque though, and BTW, they do an 80g Voodoo that you can use for the FW.

...on the AxivCore's ALL models except green are the counter-balanced versions. Red is low flight, black is supposed to be mid and then the blue is high(er) but is also cheaper. I would suggest talking to Virge about maybe a 79 or 89 Blue model but in an X flex...if you need a FW shaft then do the 79 for Driver and the 89 for the FW.

Oh...and perci has a 73 X flex Bassara for sale @ $60...heavier, slightly lower torque, just not sure if the stiffness will be an issue (it's a softish profile though, so THAT shaft should be OK)

Another option may be to try the Graphite Design YSQ in the 75g version...great shaft, great feel, great price. You could go to an X flex with less trim, or a std trim on the S flex. May go 'slightly' lower than the Bassara...