PDA

View Full Version : Our House!

shazza_rs
26th April 2010, 05:15 PM
Hey,
As some of you know we are in the process of building our first house.

Stage 1 is complete - floor is down which took 16 days. Builder is on a 1 week break to recoup before the frame starts being erected.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3948/house0001.jpg
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1071/house0197.jpg

Here is a link to all of the photos so far on my facebook.
Our House Photos (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=213007&id=600747641&l=8e593b30a6)

Grunt
26th April 2010, 05:17 PM
Saw your pics the other day on F/B Shazz.

Looks good when you see something happening doesn't it.

just
26th April 2010, 05:18 PM
The nest begins, the chicks are next!

shazza_rs
26th April 2010, 05:19 PM
Hey! Get outta my thread with that kid talk! :)

live4golf
26th April 2010, 05:26 PM
A mate of mine set up a time-lapse camera in a birdhouse that showed the entire house build in a very short time...looked excellent.

Good luck with it

Eag's
26th April 2010, 05:27 PM
Good to see things are happening Shaz.
Glad to hear the house is moving along as well ;)

shazza_rs
26th April 2010, 05:34 PM
A mate of mine set up a time-lapse camera in a birdhouse that showed the entire house build in a very short time...looked excellent.

Good luck with it

We are kinda doing the same thing. As the house isn't far from my work, I've been taking a photo from the same spot on the corner each day so that I can put them all together at the end like a flip book.

jaybam
26th April 2010, 05:37 PM
Looking good mrs rs :)

AndyP
26th April 2010, 05:59 PM
I can never figure out where the house comes from looking at all the groundwork. How much of it is DIY, Shaz?

Jarro
26th April 2010, 06:43 PM
Looking good :)

perci
26th April 2010, 06:47 PM
Be nice around there guys thats my old stomping ground!

Flowergirl
26th April 2010, 07:26 PM
All the best. :)

Hux
26th April 2010, 08:10 PM
Slacker that builder - fancy taking a week off. What did he want to go home and see the family or something :-)

Hope you have plenty of club storage built into the garage.

shazza_rs
26th April 2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks guys! Perc, I'll look after the area for ya :)

AndyP - It's pretty DIY. Pete's dad is the builder and Pete is his TA (tradies assistant). I help out when required too. Doing all the blockwork was done on the first weekend. My dad, mum and brothers helped out with that too. Now that all the foundations and stumps, retaining walls are all in it should go together pretty quickly. The frame arrives in a week and will take a couple of days to put together. Then the roofers put the roof on. Then it will be action stations with the rest of it. Building timeline is 12 weeks from now.

PeteyD
27th April 2010, 03:01 PM
You can put the bodies under the floorboards!!

Looks good.

Jarro
27th April 2010, 03:18 PM
When's the housewarming party ?

live4golf
27th April 2010, 03:21 PM
We are kinda doing the same thing. As the house isn't far from my work, I've been taking a photo from the same spot on the corner each day so that I can put them all together at the end like a flip book.

That will look cool when all is said and done...

Lucasto23
27th April 2010, 03:24 PM
looks great shazza and pete. Thats some high quality base you got there ;)

kpac
27th April 2010, 03:29 PM
Have fun Pete/Shaz! Make sure you enjoy the process, it will be stressful and possibly painful, but it's something you're lucky to be able to do. Many people go there whole lives wanting to build their own house.

shazza_rs
27th April 2010, 08:23 PM
Its been everything you've said so far :) We are in an incredibly lucky situation in that both our fathers are builders and also access to an electrician, plasterer, tiler, concreter, gas fitter, etc with our uncles and cousins. Without their help we would not be getting the house we are for the money. We are definitely enjoying the process and can't wait until its finished.

Jarro - there will definitely be a house warming.... just have to wait until we are settled in. ;)

BrisVegas
27th April 2010, 08:35 PM
Looks good so far pete & shaz! Good luck with the rest.

PeteyD
28th April 2010, 01:08 PM
Jarro - there will definitely be a house warming.... just have to wait until we are settled in. ;)

Shouldn't take too long to christen all the rooms :D

perci
28th April 2010, 07:51 PM
Hey Shaz I dropped past to have a squiz yesterday and all looks great,but unfortunatley I forgot my spray cans to add that personal touch!Oh and back in tho good old days that driveway would have made a great jump!

Johnny Canuck
29th April 2010, 12:08 AM
good luck shaz. we just moved into our first and it is a great feeling.

Rusty
29th April 2010, 02:49 PM
this house should definitely be on the Australian version of Grand Designs. looking good!

sms316
29th April 2010, 02:55 PM
Shouldn't take too long to christen all the rooms :D

Keys in the bowl?

shazza_rs
29th April 2010, 08:54 PM
Judging by the way our budget is going, those three rooms on the eastern side of the house won't even be furnished or even fit out with wardrobes, carpets, curtains. :) Good luck christening the room..... i hope you don't get floor burn ;)

shazza_rs
29th April 2010, 08:55 PM
Hey Shaz I dropped past to have a squiz yesterday and all looks great,but unfortunatley I forgot my spray cans to add that personal touch!Oh and back in tho good old days that driveway would have made a great jump!

Spray cans! Nice! There is a magistrate that lives across the road so probably a wise move not to take the spray cans with ya. And I'm with you about the driveway. Our kids are gunna be stoked with that ramp. I'm seeing a lot of crashes into the street. Lucky its a dead end :)

sms316
29th April 2010, 08:57 PM
Our kids.......

Something you want to share?

shazza_rs
29th April 2010, 08:58 PM
Yeah sure... i'm having twins

Jarro
29th April 2010, 09:00 PM
Yeah sure... i'm having twins

4 times :mrgreen:

shazza_rs
29th April 2010, 09:01 PM
hardy har ha!

shazza_rs
25th May 2010, 08:32 PM
Quick update:

Stage 2 is complete - the frame is all up.

Roofers started on Monday and the roof should be all up by Thursday/Friday depending on the weather (which isn't being too kind to us at the moment).

Power goes on next Monday and the windows and external cladding will start from Tuesday. Yay!

I've updated the link in the original post to the updated photos on facebook if you are interested.

Jarro
25th May 2010, 08:46 PM
Looking good Pete and Shaz 8)

Eag's
25th May 2010, 08:50 PM
Coming along nicely guys.

shavey
25th May 2010, 10:50 PM
Wish our house was going up this quick... slab going down in about two weeks then another 5 months (weather permitting) to completion. Can't wait to get the slab started as I could imagine Shaz, this is where you finally think it's actually happening!

markTHEblake
25th May 2010, 11:46 PM
Wish our house was going up this quick...

Cos you havent got Shazza as a foreman.

shazza_rs
26th May 2010, 07:19 AM
Wish our house was going up this quick... slab going down in about two weeks then another 5 months (weather permitting) to completion. Can't wait to get the slab started as I could imagine Shaz, this is where you finally think it's actually happening!

Woohoo! Don't worry we bought our land in September last year. It was agonising waiting for something to start. Construction only started on 6th April. It's only going this quickly because my FIL is the builder! Otherwise we would be in the same boat as you shavey.

goughy
26th May 2010, 07:39 AM
It's amazing watching how the houses pop up around our neighbourhood. There's one at the top of the street that started months before our next door neighbours, or the house next to them. Or the other two up the street. Yet it isn't complete yet. The two up the street, one started a month after the other yet the owners moved in 2 months before the first. The house next door to us started 2 months before the one above it but it only finished 2 weeks ago and the one above it is now ready to go. But above them is a block that my bil used to own. The builders were in and cutting the block before settlement happened when my bil sold it. That would have been in ike October last year. They poured the foundations last week!

Our place felt like it was screaming along until it took 6 weeks to get the driveway and paths poured and stenciled. The rest of the house was finished during that time, and what felt like a great process had us tearing our hair out and ringing the builders incessantly trying to find out what the hell was happening. The week I told them to forget the driveway it was magically started!

chappy1970
26th May 2010, 10:25 AM
Looking great Shaz

solarman
26th May 2010, 10:39 AM

Shazz....check out my new joint the missus built for me ;)

shavey
3rd June 2010, 11:02 PM
I don't think we will catch you guys but we have finally started....

shazza_rs
4th June 2010, 06:35 AM
That's a huge house! Don't think you'll catch us but man its exciting to see something finally happening to a bare block of land.

shazza_rs
11th June 2010, 08:58 PM
If anyone is interested there are updated photos on the link in the first post. Cladding is going up. Should be at lock at the end of next week all going t plan. :)

jaybam
11th June 2010, 09:18 PM
Looking good shazza and pete.

Grunt
12th June 2010, 09:12 AM
How long till you guys will move in? I remember when our place got to lock up and was still almost 2 months till we moved in.

shazza_rs
12th June 2010, 09:14 AM
We've been told 5-6 weeks til we move in. :)

goughy
12th June 2010, 01:05 PM
Gotta remember Grunt, they've got family involved in the building! We had a finished house and had to wait 6 weeks for the driveway, paths etc to be done. That just killed!

Jarro
13th June 2010, 07:09 PM
Looking good Pete/Shaz 8)

What have you guys got planned for the gardens ? Are you going to lay your own turf or just let native grass take over ??

AndyP
13th June 2010, 07:14 PM
Less photos with Pete in it please.

It's starting to look like a house now. :cool:

shazza_rs
13th June 2010, 08:14 PM
As soon as the first wall of cladding went up it started looking like a house. I'm getting really excited now and can't wait for it to finish.

Jarro > I guess we'll be letting nature take its course as the money for new turf has been cut from the budget. :) It will be a DIY project later on i guess. Maybe we'll have to have an ozgolf working bee :)

goughy
13th June 2010, 08:18 PM
One thing I noticed about where we are is how none of the houses built since ours have had turf laid, yet they all wish they had. We had some put down and it was worth it's weight in gold! You can walk around the house without getting your shoes all dirty and mucked up. Our neighbours have a pile of shoes outside their back door. Even if it's just enough to give you some places to walk it could be worth it.

Jarro
13th June 2010, 08:22 PM
As soon as the first wall of cladding went up it started looking like a house. I'm getting really excited now and can't wait for it to finish.

Jarro > I guess we'll be letting nature take its course as the money for new turf has been cut from the budget. :) It will be a DIY project later on i guess. Maybe we'll have to have an ozgolf working bee :)

Sounds cool :)

Just chuck on a BBQ sometime ;)

grandmasterb
14th June 2010, 09:46 AM
Looks like its coming along nicely, you guys must be stoked!!!

goughy
12th August 2010, 07:33 AM
SO??????

Jarro
12th August 2010, 07:55 AM
Council is holding up the process.

It seems it's hard to get approval for an 8 room nursery extension.

shazza_rs
12th August 2010, 08:57 AM
So, it's still going! Paint is going on the ceilings before the floors go down. I think there is only one more coat of paint to go and then the floor boards are to start going down on Friday, Saturday. All the tiling is done in the bathrooms(thanks to nudgee's dad). Then we get to paint the walls and the outside. I think I'm on outside duties.

Oh and GGF jarro! :)

TourFit
12th August 2010, 11:07 AM
Looks nice shazza...

...will that bath be big enough for the both of you???

shazza_rs
12th August 2010, 12:04 PM
nope... i'm not into sharing my leisure time with my husband :)

TourFit
12th August 2010, 12:43 PM
LMAO...

...I apply the same principle with my spouse, but apply it to golf !! As soon as she starts playin' I'm gonna be doing something else.

Jarro
12th August 2010, 01:07 PM
Nice work Pete and Shaz.

I'm looking forward to the housewarming ..... and spewing on your new floors :)

Yossarian
12th August 2010, 05:43 PM
LMAO...

...I apply the same principle with my spouse, but apply it to golf !! As soon as she starts playin' I'm gonna be doing something else.

Is that all we have to do?

AndyP
12th August 2010, 05:52 PM
I'm looking forward to the housewarming ..... and spewing on your new floors :)I love it. :lol:

Any more pics on Facebook?

Rusty
20th August 2010, 12:24 PM
a bowling party - beauty!

Lucasto23
20th August 2010, 12:40 PM
Looks awesome shazza,you kids gonna be able to start playing golf again soon ;)

shazza_rs
20th August 2010, 02:05 PM
I periodically update the photos on facebook. It's a bit hard to see progress some times when I'm on site everyday.

I hope to get back to golf soon! My game has gone down the gurgler!

Kitchen cupboards are going in today. Stonemason is coming on Monday to template. All architraves and doors should be going up starting tomorrow.

Rusty> I already told Dad that he forgot to put the little arrows on the floor so we can line up the bowling ball.