PDA

View Full Version : Brian Davis

morgy
21st April 2010, 01:22 PM
What are everyone's thoughts on the Brian Davis incident? Whilst I think that it is very important to protect the integrity of the game, I doubt he would have spoken up had his chip gotten within a hole-able distance....

Am I right in saying that; in a hazard you can brush grass with your club, provided it IS connected to the ground... BUT... you cannot touch loose impediments at all, or make direct contact with the ground?

bergsey
21st April 2010, 02:08 PM
You can't ground your club or touch loose impediments in a hazard.

When the rules official checked by pulling out the stick it proved it was a loose impediment then he was penalised 2 shots.

If the stick was attached to a plant then he would have been fine. One of those unfortunate things.

I believe Brian Davis was trying to do the right thing as no one would have noticed unless he had of spoken up. Even if they looked at the replay for some reason and raised a question they wouldn't have been able to prove whether it was a lose impediment or not.

Hawkers2008
21st April 2010, 03:49 PM
This guy is an absolute pillar of virtue. Plenty of players would not have done what he did.

Jarro
21st April 2010, 03:53 PM
The guy is a class act.

170 odd appearances on the PGA tour for no wins must've meant he wanted this tournament bad !! :shock:

Took a lot of character to do what he did.

Saying that though, how bloody stupid is that rule :roll:

Hawkers2008
21st April 2010, 04:15 PM
The guy is a class act.

170 odd appearances on the PGA tour for no wins must've meant he wanted this tournament bad !! :shock:

Took a lot of character to do what he did.

Saying that though, how bloody stupid is that rule :roll:

hes a very busy boy doing 50-50 between US & European tours and making enough to stay fully exempt on both. Maybe he might concentrate more on US tour now.

As for the rule its maybe tough but the alternative is worse. The rule protects against players improving their lies. You might say its only a minor breach but its too hard to draw the line, its has to be all one way or all the other way.

markTHEblake
21st April 2010, 06:41 PM
This guy is an absolute pillar of virtue. Plenty of players would not have done what he did.

How can you tell? there is no list of players that have broken a rule and not owned up to it.

petethepilot
21st April 2010, 06:45 PM
Ian Stanley?

Webster
21st April 2010, 06:50 PM
Ian Stanley?

Correct. Stanley is a disgrace for what he did at the Masters all those years ago.

Davis would have lost anyway so it hardly matters.

sms316
21st April 2010, 06:55 PM
Don't forget Buzimkic, although that was in amateur golf.

Webster
21st April 2010, 07:01 PM
or Aaron Pike

Webster
21st April 2010, 07:17 PM
or Aaron Pike

sms316
21st April 2010, 07:22 PM
or Aaron Pike

or Aaron Pike

Brain fart old fella?

moree golfer
21st April 2010, 07:32 PM
or Aaron Pike

or Aaron Pike

Brain fart old fella?

Just for emphasis' sake hey Jack :lol:!

Hawkers2008
21st April 2010, 07:37 PM
How can you tell? there is no list of players that have broken a rule and not owned up to it.

Maybe so. There are lots of examples of players who have been accused of cheating but not fessed up. Norman (who was pretty dodgy with the rules himsef) had a spat with someone who he accused of cheating. (As a rules official) I have a bias towards players who do they right thing especially in times of temptation. He had a lot to gain - start in Masters, Players, SBS and an extra years (two instead of one) exempt status but didn't hesitate to fess up.

Knowledge of the rules is pretty poor at club level. And its not a lot better at elite level golf which is a bit surprising seeing as knowledge of the rules can be pretty important for your livelihood.

Webster
21st April 2010, 08:07 PM
not sure what happened there....must have been a mobile phone posting malfunction..

razaar
21st April 2010, 08:15 PM
There is an interesting story about Davis before the tournament. I have borrowed this from another forum thanks to courtgolf.
"At the Wednesday Pro-Am, Camillo Villegas' caddy picked up Davis' putter to have a look and noticed something odd. He took the putter over to Davis' caddy and asked if he saw the same thing - that the putter looked like it was hooked shut. Davis' caddy agreed and took it to his man for another look. Sure enough, the putter was bent just a little at the top of the neck.

Most of the season, Davis had been struggling with his putter, missing mostly...you guessed it...to the left. So he put his backup in the bag for the week and got himself into a playoff."

Captain Nemo
22nd April 2010, 09:09 AM
Bullshit rule, poor bloke, well done for honesty!

KristianJ
22nd April 2010, 10:49 AM
There is an interesting story about Davis before the tournament. I have borrowed this from another forum thanks to courtgolf.
"At the Wednesday Pro-Am, Camillo Villegas' caddy picked up Davis' putter to have a look and noticed something odd. He took the putter over to Davis' caddy and asked if he saw the same thing - that the putter looked like it was hooked shut. Davis' caddy agreed and took it to his man for another look. Sure enough, the putter was bent just a little at the top of the neck.

Most of the season, Davis had been struggling with his putter, missing mostly...you guessed it...to the left. So he put his backup in the bag for the week and got himself into a playoff."

I recall hearing in the highlights last night that his ranking in putting stats up to this tournament had been well down on last year (40s last year down to 140s this year)...

Daves
22nd April 2010, 11:05 AM

It happens as I recently discovered with my #5. Scotties are very soft and easy to bend, just ask Ferrins!:shock::lol:

I saw no hesitation from Davis in the replays, he called the official over immediately.

The rule is cruel, but there to stop players improving their lie. Imagine the imaginative backswings etc some would come up with, without it!

The mistake Davis made was not to listen to his Caddy, he seemed pretty dead set against the option Davis took.

razaar
22nd April 2010, 11:56 AM
It happens as I recently discovered with my #5. Scotties are very soft and easy to bend, just ask Ferrins!:shock::lol:

I wouldn't doubt that Dave. It has always amazed me that Cameron's which are now made in China demand such a high price. I am pretty sure that they(OTR and pro putters) are cast and skim milled, which means more dosh for Cameron/Acushnet.

Collis
22nd April 2010, 03:47 PM
Really hope this guy snags a win this year somewhere