PDA

View Full Version : Driving mishaps

Jarro
20th April 2010, 04:01 PM
Not the golfing kind, the vehicle kind.

What's the worst bit of driving you've ever done ? Any near misses :shock:

I nearly got cleaned up bigtime today driving home from work in the rain.

The Hi-Lux hit a small pool of water and went into a complete 360 degree turn and then proceeded to head straight towards the concrete barrier on the edge of the gateway Motorway at the Banyo merge. All i saw were headlights of this truck that was right behind me :shock: We ended up not even hitting the wall .... and nobody hit us (miracle)

I still don't know how i managed it :?

Has to be the closest i've ever come to having a serious road accident.

Grunt
20th April 2010, 04:11 PM
Worst and only at fault accident was on my P's.
I was still at High school and coming home from a league match at Maroubra Bay High School. After a win the adrenaline was pumping hard. I also got MOM for the game with a couple of tries. I had loaded up the car more than I should have with mates. The car was a 120Y Coupe, all up we had 6 of us in the car. 3 in the back one in the front and another in the hatch compartment.
On the way up Fitzgerald Ave from the beach I heard a bang then was soon fighting the car. End result was hitting the side of the road and rolling the car. Was very very lucky, no one hurt ! Police confiscated the car for investigation and found the front tie rod end had broken and resulted in me losing control. They did not book me as some of the guys said they were not in the car and deemed it a pure accident as I did not hit any private property, missed a street sign by millimetres.

Certainly a near miss I do not wish to see again.

Dotty
20th April 2010, 04:15 PM
Very similar to Jarro, 360* spin and missed everything.
Damp road also, but majority of blame should be attributed to bald tyres and showing off.

dan
20th April 2010, 04:23 PM
Was driving home about 2 am. Hardly any other cars on the road. Feeling a bit tired. Came to a multiple intersection and drove through 3 red lights (lights spanned about 80 meters in total distance). Must have been doing about 80 clicks. Wasn't until I crossed the 3rd before I realised what I just done.

Super idiot ](*,)

3oneday
20th April 2010, 04:28 PM
Buncha hoons.

Webster
20th April 2010, 04:34 PM
I was backing out of the car park at McDonalds years ago, with a phone in one hand, a coke in the other and a cheeseburger in my mouth. I backed straight into the side of a passing car and left a huge dent in the side of their Camry. When I got out to take a closer look, I could see thru the window a crying kid in a car seat covered in red - I thought I'd killed him, turns out he only had the measles!

Cost me a ****in $700 excess though....(after a short legal battle whilst I was denying responsibility)

Flowergirl
20th April 2010, 04:58 PM
Never had an accident or near miss cos women are just better drivers!!

Jarro
20th April 2010, 05:02 PM
Never had an accident or near miss cos women are just better drivers!!

:-#

LeftyHoges
20th April 2010, 05:19 PM
Coming home from basketball one night a few months ago in medium rain, doing about 90 clicks.

4 X cars oncoming in other lane, and was also just coming to an overtaking lane in between us. Due to oncoming traffic I had the lights on low beam. Spot a koala sitting smack in the middle of my lane about 50m in front. Split second decision decide to swerve to my right. In pulling it back the back end has slid out and I'm doing about 75km/h sideways and sliding into the oncoming traffic. Just manage to get the back end in, missed the oncoming car by about 3 metres I'd guess, but this causes the back end to slide out in the other direction, spearing me back into the next oncoming car when it grips. Somehow manage to miss that car by reefing the wheel back the other way, which now points me at the metal and wire barrier. Reef the wheel back the other way and, you guessed it, I'm back sideways and going at the third car in the row. By now my speed has dropped to about 50 km/h and I figure screw it, reefed the crap out of the wheel back to the left and held it there so I'd finally spin 180 and coast backwards, which thankfully happened.

4th car slows down and turns around to check that everything is OK. The girlfriend is nearly vomiting in the passenger seat but somehow no-one is hurt anywhere and the car is fine. Very, VERY lucky escape and one that I'll never forget! Understandably, the tyres need replacing, but $400 compared to thousands for the car, or priceless for human lives and injuries is a price I'm very willing to pay!

Eag's
20th April 2010, 05:25 PM
Shit Mark, that sounds bloody scary :shock:

I fell asleep at the wheel on the way home after a graveyard shift, back in the early nineties.
By the time I woke up, I had crossed over the median strip and was heading straight into on coming traffic. I slammed on the breaks and ripped the car sideways
to end up the side of the gutter :oops:

sms316
20th April 2010, 06:40 PM
Back in the 1990s I was living in Albury and working arvo shifts at a timber mill in Holbrook (about 65km away). Was driving home at about 1am and saw a few oncoming trucks. One of them veered left and I thought "geez he is going into that rest area pretty quickly - oh shit - there isn't a rest area there!". The truck behind him hit the anchors and veered into my lane.

All of the time I am watching the first truck get airborne whilst diving into a creek. Then I look into my lane and see two bloody headlights on high beam about 30m from me.

I skidded out of control off the road and into bushes. The first truck looked like a crushed coke can in the creek. The driver had fallen asleep at the wheel.

It then dawned on me if the first truck had of veered the other way I was a dead man. Luckily I had a hole in one a few months earlier and had a bottle of Black Label Johnnie at home and it settled the nerves quite nicely.

The truck was carrying timber and parts of his load are still sitting in that creek, just north of Woomargama.

BrisWesty
20th April 2010, 06:58 PM
Hit a big puddle of water that had overflowed a farm dam after an unseasonally tropical downpour in Ballarat. The road bent right at that point and the camber of the road was towards the right (so the deepest part of the water was on the opposite side of the road and on the inside of the corner). Anyway, long story short, the driver's side wheels lost traction when I hit the water and I went backwards off the inside of the corner into bushes. Missed an above ground telstra installation by a few inches. Got the car back on the road and kept going. Not even a flat tyre.

markTHEblake
20th April 2010, 07:10 PM
I broke 5 cars including my own, cos they were parked in the middle of the road, Stupid traffic lights. Got three in front of me, like dominos and another hit me in the behind. All up cost me $1000 including fine, excess and repairs to the magnificent EH. Cost my insurance company about $20k for third party, and half of Darwin missed out on an hours work that morning - and I made the evening news. Missed it though cos I was still on the bloody bus.

KristianJ
20th April 2010, 07:26 PM
My only at fault accident was on my Ps as well - about 5 years ago...

Was driving citybound on the M4, which was damp and greasy after morning rain. Around 7:30 in the morning, I was in the right hand lane coming up to the Cumberland Hwy exit, and reacted too late to the traffic starting to build up. The brakes on the KF Laser I was driving at the time weren't all that good, and from about 30-40m and 80 km/h, I hit the car in front of me at about 50 odd km/h or so. It wasn't stationary, so that probably saved my car from being written off. I managed to get the car to the breakdown lane pretty quickly, exchanged the relevant details with the other driver, and (with a towie's help) was able to persuade the cops that I could drive away from the scene, and saved myself a fine for neg driving. Crawled off the exit and into a back street in Merrylands where I met my dad and the towie took the car away. It taught me big time how to drive safely on wet roads and I will never drive on the inside lane on any motorway when it's wet.

Have had a couple of near misses where I almost got hit from behind by late brakers, but other than that I've not really had any dramas worth reminiscing.

Fishman Dan
20th April 2010, 07:41 PM
Best I've managed was a big, fat, juicy t-bone. I was the boner, the other car was the tee.

Going down Liverpool St in Darlinghurst (before the road closures), 50 zone and I was doing 50-55 kph through the crossing/lights of Darlinghurst Ave. Considering the time of day (about 11am), doing the speed limit was probably too fast. There was a 4t van/truck heading east stationary in the traffic, and the car behind it (old Hyundai Excel) was effectively unsighted and nipped out, doing a right-turn straight in front of me. I barely had time to hit the anchors.

I belted him right in the mid-ships, passenger side. We both walked away from it totally unscathed, his ego a little worse for wear (though not as bad as the cars). I was chatting to locals as the towies fought over the scraps and they said it sounded like a car had exploded.

Hux
20th April 2010, 08:10 PM
I could cheer you all up with a few stories about the ones without happy endings :-)

Or my own - 1990 on the hwy heading back from Kilcoy to Bris after a ride with mates. Got separated and thought they had stopped so was heading back...as it turns out they had gone past me when I turned around.
Anyway heading in...some dopey old prik was doing 80 in the 100kph and had a bank of traffic queued up. Me on Kwaka ZX-10 decide to overtake on the straight. Dopey prik decides to turn across into a sideroad as I am about 50m from him.
The decision of brake and go down vs brake and hit was decided by something on the road and I hit the ground at somewhere on the high side of 100kph. Busted the bike, busted my wrist, collar bone in 2 places, ankles, and knees down to just off the bone. I still remember sliding face down on the bitumen towards oncoming traffic and a guide post thinking this was it. Had the shakes for days to be honest.

The really scary part was Kilcoy hospital. Mate tracked me down and I still remember his concerned look with the comment "Shit mate we have to get you out of here the Dr looks like he is out of Gilligans Island" He was wearing white pants, sandles and a haiwian shirt!!

The final part of the story is that waiting for my bro came and got me in a car I asked a nurse if they were going to do anything about the wounds or the breaks. She came back apologised and said she was new there but it would be best if I went to the RBH on my way home as it appeared they had no plans on doing anything.

Strangely enough I no longer ride motorcycles. Love them but realise they aren't for me.

ddasey
20th April 2010, 08:19 PM
Strangely enough I no longer ride motorcycles. Love them but realise they aren't for me.

We've got 2 new ones at work I'm sure you would love. Uncle Bob even came out on Easter Monday to have a look.

Moe Norman
20th April 2010, 08:26 PM
all your stories suck unless you were MOM and scored some tries prior to the accident

Hux
20th April 2010, 08:29 PM
Well if one is a 1982 Ducati Mike Hailwood Replica and the other is a Suzuki M109R Boulevarde yes they would interest me :-)

However I don't know if Bob would like you disclosing the new bikes ID - but I don't like the look of the motor on that english brand...plain and boring.

Hux
20th April 2010, 08:30 PM
all your stories suck unless you were MOM and scored some tries prior to the accident

I was that sore I didn't score for months :-(

ddasey
20th April 2010, 08:38 PM
However I don't know if Bob would like you disclosing the new bikes ID - but I don't like the look of the motor on that english brand...plain and boring.

Was never going too. That plain old boring brand is surprisingly not to bad at all.

ddasey
20th April 2010, 08:39 PM
Well if one is a 1982 Ducati Mike Hailwood Replica and the other is a Suzuki M109R Boulevarde yes they would interest me :-)

Very Nice taste.. :smt023

Toolish
20th April 2010, 10:13 PM
Had a few accidents in my time...only 1 where I was driving though.

Coming home from golf on Plenty Rd in Bundoora. Drizzling rain. In the middle lane, doing about, loook to the right lane and see a car about 100m ahead so move to the right lane. Once in the lane, realise the car there is stationary as a car has broken down in the right lane and this car was waiting to get around it, anchors on, hit at about 50km...bye bye VK Commodore. Made me a lot more careful about traffic flow.

Biggest one I was involved in was when I was about 12. Went on a day outing with a mates family, again drizzling rain. The driver lost it on a clay road, car spun twice and then nailed a tree. 4 weeks later I got out of hospital, still remember watching Hawks Geelong grand final in there. About 6 months later was in another crash where an old timer turned across the front of us while we were doing 100 on the Calder Highway near Wycheproof and we t-boned him. Nice easter holiday that one.

All that plus a few big hits while racing an off road buggy and I still don't seem to have any fear of speed? Slow learner maybe!

Yossarian
20th April 2010, 10:20 PM
I was in a car the 540'd through a major intersection at about 9 at night. We cleared a median strip and ended up on the other side of the road pointing in the right direction right next to this other bloke. He just gave us a casual wave, the light went green and we went and parked up to check the car for damage. Of which there was none, volvos are tanks.

Moe Norman
20th April 2010, 10:45 PM
Someone ran into the back of my company car on the story bridge last year, its the only accident I've ever been in.

Prior to the accident I completed a marathon in 2 hours and 42 minutes, rode 333km on my road bike, punched on with Anthony Mundine and shot 64 at Hope Island.

Yossarian
20th April 2010, 10:48 PM
I forgot to mention I had sunk a bottle of turkey prior and enaged in an orgy with seven other men. Is that better moe?:lol:

MegaWatty
20th April 2010, 11:03 PM
I forgot to mention I had sunk a bottle of turkey prior and enaged in an orgy with seven other men. Is that better moe?:lol:
Moe was taking the piss mate.

Yossarian
20th April 2010, 11:06 PM
Really :shock:

Moe Norman
20th April 2010, 11:24 PM
I never take the piss, it's not my style

BrisVegas
21st April 2010, 08:04 AM
hux, glad you're still alive after dropping your bike. I used to have a thing for kwaka's and swore I'd get a ZX9R when I got my opens. Forunately for me I went to the states for a few years and rode a heavy & slow cruiser while I learnt some road craft.... If I'd bought the ZX9R i'd be dead long ago. I nearly tipped myself off Mt Glorious on my L's being a dick. Thankfully a guard rail/testicles/fuel tank slowed me up.

990B Luva
26th April 2010, 11:54 PM
End of June, 2007. I was coming home from work in my modified ED XR6, Typical 18yr olds car :mrgreen:, Lowered, wheels, exhaust etc. I also thought it would be a great idea to fit a minispool (permanently locked diff).

Heading home from work on the Tuesday arvo, fate decided I was not to have the XR6 anymore. Coming down Kessels Rd, just before Orange Grove Rd, heading towards Coopers Plains, I thought it would be a good idea to apply some decent throttle (this was wet weather btw). As I had been to a skidpan day 2 days before, and hadn't yet been payed, as it was a new job that I had only had for a week, I had bald rear tyres. Wet weather + Locked diff + Bald tyres + throttle application ends up with me doing a 360 through the intersection at Orange Grove Rd. Somehow, I managed to get the rear wheels to go up the driveway there, while my front left hit the gutter. I then ended up plowing into the sound barrier someone had nicely placed there. $16000 damage to the car, scratch on my hand. Thank god for luck.