PDA

View Full Version : Paypal or Credit Card for overseas purchase?

bergsey
16th April 2010, 04:08 PM
I'm sure one of the ho's on here has compared fees and exchange rates between paypal and using an aussie credit card for a purchase from the US (although i can't find it!).

So which one ends up giving you the best rate in the end once fees etc are taken into consideration? My last purchase from US just used by credit card but didn't look too much into it.

Cheers

Bergsey

3oneday
16th April 2010, 04:20 PM
Paypals rate is about 2 cents lower than the rate on www.xe.com. It really depends on what credit card you use, what their banks exchange rate is and what percentage they then grab to convert you from USD to AUD.

I used to use an ANZ card. their rate was about a cent lower than xe and then they would charge me 2.5% for the privilege of their conversion.

LeftyHoges
16th April 2010, 05:00 PM
As 3OD said, It's much of a muchness. You can cop PayPal's crappy exchange rates, or you can cop your credit cards crappy currency conversion fee.

Either way, they work out to be pretty much the same.

3oneday
16th April 2010, 06:49 PM
Unless you have a Wizard Mastercard ;) No charges, same exchange as xe, bewdifuuul :lol:

markTHEblake
17th April 2010, 12:07 AM
Everytime i go to pay for something i note the Paypal conversion, then choose credit card, and when the statement arrives the card is the cheapest everytime, albeit a tiny amount.

terrys
17th April 2010, 02:56 PM
I just keep US dollars in my paypal for overseas purchases