PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Savings for Qld ???

Dcanto
16th April 2010, 06:36 AM
It appears that our illustrious premier Anna has raised the possibility of a trial of daylight savings in Sth East Qld or possibly even a referendum.

What about the rest of Qld?? Cairns is part of Qld too Anna - or have you forgotten that. I would love a few extra hours of daylight in the evening that way there would be a realistic chance of getting 18 holes of golf in after work.

What do other people think? :-s

Ned
16th April 2010, 06:43 AM
It appears that our illustrious premier Anna has raised the possibility of a trial of daylight savings in Sth East Qld or possibly even a referendum.

What about the rest of Qld?? Cairns is part of Qld too Anna - or have you forgotten that. I would love a few extra hours of daylight in the evening that way there would be a realistic chance of getting 18 holes of golf in after work.

What do other people think? :-s

Dave, look at where Cairns is on the map compared to Briz, from 5 pm on wards Briz is basically dark in winter where as Cairns doesn't really get dark until 6 on wards.

Are they talking Summer or winter time ?

haysey
16th April 2010, 07:14 AM
I can take or leave daylight savings.

But...

Got to say it's one of the stoopider ideas I've heard to split the state. As far as I'm concerned if they're going to trial it again then it needs to be the whole damn thing.

Dcanto
16th April 2010, 07:25 AM
Dave, look at where Cairns is on the map compared to Briz, from 5 pm on wards Briz is basically dark in winter where as Cairns doesn't really get dark until 6 on wards.

Are they talking Summer or winter time ?

Summertime - Daylight savings is always summertime. I agree with Haysey - if they are going to trial it it needs to be across the whole state. Having two time zones in the one state seems absurd to me..

goughy
16th April 2010, 07:32 AM
Maybe this time hold the referendum using individual votes, not tallying the votes and counting on electorates. that way 1500 votes won't hold the same value as 50000. But dang, what about the cows?? are we thinking of the cows???

Ned
16th April 2010, 07:44 AM
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/rmo0095l.jpg

Ned
16th April 2010, 07:46 AM
http://bencollins.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/image.png

sms316
16th April 2010, 07:51 AM
I saw a dopey chick on the news the other night saying it was hot enough already in summer without daylight saving. There's a future politician right there.

3oneday
16th April 2010, 07:53 AM
I think WA trialled it for a year last year ?, but the expense of having a referendum each year to decide what would happen the following year became too much for them to continue :lol:

haysey
16th April 2010, 07:56 AM
I wonder if there would be enough people in the south east corner now to get a referendum over the line?

Goughy - And the curtains damn it. Don't forget the curtains:wink:

sms316
16th April 2010, 07:57 AM
I wonder if there would be enough people in the south east corner now to get a referendum over the line?

1000 a week who are used to having it.

BrisVegas
16th April 2010, 08:05 AM
vote 1 yes for me. I can get my kids to sleep when it's still light, but they seem to wake up at 4-5am in summer time because the sun is up too early.

haysey
16th April 2010, 08:06 AM
1000 a week who are used to having it.

Fair enough then. 18 years ago it was only a 4% majority. I'd take a punt at it getting over the line.

FWIW. We walked off the golf course at 6.15 last night with probably 5 minutes to spare before it got to dark to see.

Another hour of daylight would probably get me divorced:lol:

haysey
16th April 2010, 08:10 AM
vote 1 yes for me. I can get my kids to sleep when it's still light, but they seem to wake up at 4-5am in summer time because the sun is up too early.

The other memory of daylight saving I have is starting work (7am) in the dark. No problem with that. Just always surprises me how early the sun rises the further down south you get.

Sydney Hacker
16th April 2010, 08:12 AM
Fair enough then. 18 years ago it was only a 4% majority. I'd take a punt at it getting over the line.

FWIW. We walked off the golf course at 6.15 last night with probably 5 minutes to spare before it got to dark to see.

Another hour of daylight would probably get me divorced:lol:

Probably wouldn't be a problem for you since daylight saving finished last weekend...

haysey
16th April 2010, 08:21 AM
Probably wouldn't be a problem for you since daylight saving finished last weekend...

:roll:

IF, and its a very big if. We ever get daylight savings in Cairns. The extra hour of daylight in the evenings will probably get me divorced, because I will not come home until it is dark. I:E around 7-7.15pm.

Better?

:razz:

Ned
16th April 2010, 08:28 AM
Just always surprises me how early the sun rises the further down south you get.

A little bit of difference in distance!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_vW-f8QS75wg/S8eSic7hFuI/AAAAAAAABGM/-qFZd7lHH_I/s400/Qld%20Map.png.jpg

PeteyD
16th April 2010, 09:25 AM
She is just trying to deflect attention from the QLD Health payroll mess. I wish we could impeach lying turds.

Dcanto
16th April 2010, 10:16 AM
She is just trying to deflect attention from the QLD Health payroll mess. I wish we could impeach lying turds.

Here here.

:smt038

poidda
16th April 2010, 10:24 AM
This election trump card was always going to be played when Labour were on the back foot. It would be one thing that might wing with wing voter that's for sure.

poidda
16th April 2010, 10:26 AM
http://bencollins.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/image.png
Looking at this it's embarrassing we don't have it. Practically all others that don't have it probably don't use clocks and couldn't care less what time it is. ie, Asia and Africa.

sms316
16th April 2010, 10:28 AM
Why do Greenland have daylight saving? Isn't the sun up 24/7 during summer?

MegaWatty
16th April 2010, 10:39 AM
I think WA trialled it for a year last year ?, but the expense of having a referendum each year to decide what would happen the following year became too much for them to continue :lol:
We got a 3 year trial which was fantastic. At the end of the trial, there was a referendum which got smashed. So that's the end of that!

razaar
16th April 2010, 11:07 AM
It just doesn't make any sense having different times on the east coast of the country let alone with different times within the State. Must be about time for a change of Government, this lot is starting to look like the old National Party government when things started to go wrong.

TourFit
16th April 2010, 11:12 AM
It's NOT the Governments (for once). At least here in WA. Daylight saving has ALWAYS been about the attitude of the people...both sides agreed to the 3 year trial, even though there was a change of State Government in between. But, as usual here in WA, it was soundly beaten at referendum after the 3yr period was up. Younger people & young families were 'generally' for it, but seniors seemed definately against...and it's THEM who mostly write to pollies, and talk on radio chat shows, and stir up the pot of discontent.

Young people these days mostly can't be bothered...

Dcanto
16th April 2010, 11:24 AM
It just doesn't make any sense having different times on the east coast of the country let alone with different times within the State. Must be about time for a change of Government, this lot is starting to look like the old National Party government when things started to go wrong.

Good call. As an accountant we are often calling the ATO or other government agencies in other states - so you do learn to adjust when NSW & Vic are on daylight savings. But to have a scenario where only part of Qld is on Daylight Savings is just taking it to far.

just
16th April 2010, 11:37 AM
Good call. As an accountant we are often calling the ATO or other government agencies in other states - so you do learn to adjust when NSW & Vic are on daylight savings. But to have a scenario where only part of Qld is on Daylight Savings is just taking it to far.
What a load of rubbish. Complete and utter. I'm talking about your spelling but it could equally apply to your views on daylight saving.

Bring it on I say!

Dcanto
16th April 2010, 12:59 PM
More than happy to have daylight savings in Qld. However, it should be state wide not just the SE corner. The sooner the SE corner realises that other parts of the state exist beyond the sunshine coast the better.

Sydney Hacker
16th April 2010, 01:02 PM
:roll:

IF, and its a very big if. We ever get daylight savings in Cairns. The extra hour of daylight in the evenings will probably get me divorced, because I will not come home until it is dark. I:E around 7-7.15pm.

Better?

:razz:

Much better, I thank you for your efforts !

Eag's
16th April 2010, 01:05 PM
About time we caught up with the rest of the world by the looks.

just
16th April 2010, 01:07 PM
More than happy to have daylight savings in Qld. However, it should be state wide not just the SE corner. The sooner the SE corner realises that other parts of the state exist beyond the sunshine coast the better.
They do, which is why we haven't had daylight saving so far. I'm all for the whole state having it, but at least this way SEQ can have daylight savings and the rest of the state can rest easy in the knowledge that their cows and curtains will saved, and therefore less likely to oppose it..

mike
16th April 2010, 01:25 PM
Somebody. Give me ONE good reason why we should have it.

(More time for golf is not a good reason)

Grunt
16th April 2010, 01:27 PM
Better use of Daylight hours.

haysey
16th April 2010, 01:27 PM
They do, which is why we haven't had daylight saving so far. I'm all for the whole state having it, but at least this way SEQ can have daylight savings and the rest of the state can rest easy in the knowledge that their cows and curtains will saved, and therefore less likely to oppose it..

I haven't met a "rational" person in NQ who opposes daylight savings.

FWIW. I've spoken to more than a few people who've been of the same opinion. If we are to have daylight saving in Queensland then it has to be the whole state.Splitting it into two time zones is idiotic.

Daylight savings - Won't somebody think of the golfers:wink:

Edit: Except for Mike:mrgreen:

Mike, I do all of my purchasing from down south. Mainly through Brisbane but also in New South Wales and Victoria. It's a pain in the ass, and it'll only get worse if Brisbane goes to daylight saving too.

And don't forget the golf...

solarman
16th April 2010, 01:29 PM

I'm with you Mike. Like Katter said "if you want to be like NSW, then piss off to there".

Dcanto
16th April 2010, 01:34 PM

While I don't have the economic data in front of me I am aware of a report that suggested that daylight savings would have positive economic benefits as there is a greater take up of leisure activities which means more people spending money with local clubs and similar organisations. Is that a good enough reason?

poidda
16th April 2010, 01:40 PM

The sooner those who live outside of The Great South East realise they are a minority the better. I deal with family who constantly moaning that The Great South East spends all the tax payers money and get all the new infrastructure blah blah blah. Fact is more than 75% of Queenslands population live within 240kms, and the rest spread over the rest.

solarman
16th April 2010, 01:41 PM
Just letting everyone know that the big yellow bird known as Hayes has left the building at 1.40pm enroute to a golf course.

And he keeps telling everyone he works hard. What a joke.

Yossarian
16th April 2010, 01:42 PM
It's NOT the Governments (for once). At least here in WA. Daylight saving has ALWAYS been about the attitude of the people...both sides agreed to the 3 year trial, even though there was a change of State Government in between. But, as usual here in WA, it was soundly beaten at referendum after the 3yr period was up. Younger people & young families were 'generally' for it, but seniors seemed definately against...and it's THEM who mostly write to pollies, and talk on radio chat shows, and stir up the pot of discontent.

Young people these days mostly can't be bothered...

Which one are you fit? And you do realise it got voted on and "young people" were obligated to vote. So the reason we don't have it is because the majority is against it.

solarman
16th April 2010, 01:43 PM
The sooner those who live outside of The Great South East realise they are a minority the better. I deal with family who constantly moaning that The Great South East spends all the tax payers money and get all the new infrastructure blah blah blah. Fact is ore the 75% of Queenslands population live within 240kms, and the rest spread over the rest.

Okay, so we can keep all our agriculture stuff to ourselves eg meat, veges, sugar, milk. Maybe also our insurance will go down as we don't have to deal with freak storms, road accidents, water filtration plants etc

poidda
16th April 2010, 01:49 PM
Okay, so we can keep all our agriculture stuff to ourselves eg meat, veges, sugar, milk. Maybe also our insurance will go down as we don't have to deal with freak storms, road accidents, water filtration plants etc

hahaha. Without all The Great South East you wouldn't have a market for your silly little products, and would go broke. So if it wasn't for The Great South East buying (and not receiving as gifts as you make out) where would you be? And for the record, we have cows in Bilimba. 6 kms from the CBD. :)

Oh, and you forgot to mention floods and cyclones in your insurance rant. haha. That, and are you calling yourselves better drivers? No accidents? You must be so proud.

Dcanto
16th April 2010, 01:50 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth. Don't foget the royalties from all the mining... Last time I looked there were no mines near the Gateway bridge.

just
16th April 2010, 01:51 PM
So the reason we don't have it is because Perth likes living in a demented time warp where we still believe it's the 1960's.
I'm glad you agree.

Dcanto
16th April 2010, 01:52 PM
hahaha. Without all The Great South East you wouldn't have a market for your silly little products, and would go broke. So if it wasn't for The Great South East buying (and not receiving as gifts as you make out) where would you be? And for the record, we have cows in Bilimba. 6 kms from the CBD. :)

Oh, and you forgot to mention floods and cyclones in your insurance rant. haha. That, and are you calling yourselves better drivers? No accidents? You must be so proud.

Fat women do not count as livestock. ;)

AndyP
16th April 2010, 01:54 PM
I was looking for my own information, and I thought I would share my findings.

Sunrise/sunset times at various locations in Qld for Jan 1, 2010 (sourced from http://www.ga.gov.au/bin/astro/sunrisenset)

Location / Sunrise-Sunset (Oct 1) / Sunrise-Sunset (Jan 1) / Sunrise-Sunset (Mar 31)
Brisbane / 0528-1748 / 0456-1847 / 0557-1748
Cairns / 0600-1814 /0547-1854 / 0623-1820
Mount Isa / 0624-1840 / 0604-1926 / 0649-1844

Compared to Brisbane, Mount Isa already has "daylight savings".

razaar
16th April 2010, 01:56 PM
I'm with you Mike. Like Katter said "if you want to be like NSW, then piss off to there".
Katter Jnr...the greatest scatter brain ever to set foot in a Parliament. Well he did come from Cloncurry.

poidda
16th April 2010, 01:56 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth. Don't foget the royalties from all the mining... Last time I looked there were no mines near the Gateway bridge.

But there are in the Cairns?

BrisVegas
16th April 2010, 01:58 PM
Would Mt Isa even notice daylight savings? Hard to see the sun through the toxic dust haze.

Eag's
16th April 2010, 01:59 PM
Hey, hang on a minute, Queenslanders don't hang shit on Queenslanders, that is what NSW is for.
Give yourselves a swift upper cut

sms316
16th April 2010, 02:00 PM

Pretty simple. If you were running a retail business would you make better use (as in sales) of daylight hours in the morning or the evening?

AndyP
16th April 2010, 02:00 PM
Hey, hang on a minute, Queenslanders don't hang shit on Queenslanders, Why not? The rest of the country hangs shit on Queenslanders (and rightly so).

poidda
16th April 2010, 02:02 PM
Hey, hang on a minute, Queenslanders don't hang shit on Queenslanders, that is what NSW is for.
Give yourselves a swift upper cut
But that's all to easy Eags! ;)

Yossarian
I'm glad you agree.

Hey I voted for it I just think the fit blaming "young people" for it failure is a bit rich.

Eag's
Why not? The rest of the country hangs shit on Queenslanders (and rightly so).

And you left VIC because??

razaar
16th April 2010, 02:04 PM
Would Mt Isa even notice daylight savings? Hard to see the sun through the toxic dust haze.

Actually it is a sulphur dioxide haze so daylight savings would be the last thing on their minds.

AndyP
16th April 2010, 02:04 PM
The weather, not the people.

just
16th April 2010, 02:08 PM
Because his parents mixed up "Sunshine Coast" and "South Coast of NSW". Should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque!

Moe Norman
16th April 2010, 03:12 PM

The women are hotter up here, and they agree to marry us ugly blokes from Vic if we promise to live in QLD

mike
16th April 2010, 05:28 PM
Mike, I do all of my purchasing from down south. Mainly through Brisbane but also in New South Wales and Victoria. It's a pain in the ass Tim we buy a lot of gear from Sydney and Melbourne. It's only an issue if you order after 4 pm.

While I don't have the economic data in front of me I am aware of a report that suggested that daylight savings would have positive economic benefits as there is a greater take up of leisure activities which means more people spending money with local clubs and similar organisations. Is that a good enough reason?Rubbish Dave. It would work both ways. For a start the sun going down an hour earlier gets the golfers in the bar spending money an hour earlier.

Compared to Brisbane, Mount Isa already has "daylight savings".Yep.

Katter Jnr...the greatest scatter brain ever to set foot in a Parliament. Well he did come from Cloncurry.I wish there were more Bob Katters in parliament. I like him. He doesn't suck up to anybody. He gets stuff done.

Pretty simple. If you were running a retail business would you make better use (as in sales) of daylight hours in the morning or the evening?No idea what you're on about. What sort of business? Elaborate please.

just
16th April 2010, 05:39 PM
I wish there were more Bob Katters in parliament. I like him. He doesn't suck up to anybody. He gets stuff done.
Now I know your pulling the piss. The only thing Bob Katter has ever got done is to make himself look like a fool, he is very successful at doing that.

sms316
16th April 2010, 06:27 PM
No idea what you're on about. What sort of business? Elaborate please.
Wouldn't be the first time someone has no idea what I am on about.

Let's put the business under the category of "pastimes/social" if that makes sense. Would you go for a beer on the deck at your club at 5am if it is sunny? Of course not. Would you be more inclined to do so at 7pm if the sun is still out? Possibly.

There are many examples which have similar scenarios. Playing nine holes is just one of them, but you didn't want golf as an example.

mike
16th April 2010, 07:04 PM
Let's put the business under the category of "pastimes/social" if that makes sense. Would you go for a beer on the deck at your club at 5am if it is sunny? Of course not. Would you be more inclined to do so at 7pm if the sun is still out? Possibly.
Poor example but I sort of get your point. But do you honestly think the sun being out is going to influence me having a beer or not? I think not. More likely to have me out on the course. (I'm using golf as an example. It's the only language some on here know)

Daylight savings was in place when I was growing up in Wollongong. Couldn't see the point then. Can't see it now.

I can hear the crickets chirping.

henno
16th April 2010, 07:16 PM

Because mike doesn't like it. That's reason enough for me.

Yossarian
16th April 2010, 07:17 PM
I'm glad you agree.

Actually wouldn't daylight saving give you less hours of darkness to bury your wealth in the backyard? As well as an extra hour of sun on the tomatoes which probably wouldn't be good for them?

When the sun stays up for an hour longer fit chicks go out for runs while there is still good light to check them out properly.

sms316
16th April 2010, 07:19 PM
What is the big deal about two time zones in Qld anyway?

Surely a split timezone will affect less people than it affects in Cooly-Tweed atm.

Broken Hill has been on a separate timezone to the rest of NSW for years because it works for them. Big deal. If FNQ don't want it because that is what works for them then fine.

mike
16th April 2010, 07:20 PM
Because mike doesn't like it. That's reason enough for me.:-s
Thanks. I think.

When the sun stays up for an hour longer fit chicks go out for runs while there is still good light to check them out properly.Someone finally talking sense.

mike
16th April 2010, 07:22 PM

Surely a split timezone will affect less people than it affects in Cooly-Tweed atm.

Broken Hill has been on a separate timezone to the rest of NSW for years because it works for them. Big deal. If FNQ don't want it because that is what works for them then fine.Two time zones is the only way around it. SEQ wants it. We don't. Too easy.

3oneday
16th April 2010, 07:23 PM
1) Because when folk knock off work at 5pm and get home at 6 they can still have daylight hours to kick the ball around with their kids.

2) because when I'm cooking my Sunday night barby we can still play cricket in between turning the snags

3) When i come home from work, I can still mow the lawns leaving more time for family things on the weekend.

4) because we can ;)

Bruce
16th April 2010, 07:49 PM
I noticed the effects of Daylight Squandering at the champs. Broad daylight at 6:00AM but couldn't do anything with it. No brekky to be had, couldn't hit the practice fairway, nothing.

Surely if you love not having it so much you would expect people to be up and about earlier to use the available light - but it was a ghost town.

haysey
16th April 2010, 08:16 PM
Actually it is a sulphur dioxide haze so daylight savings would be the last thing on their minds.

Only thing on my mind during my time in Mt Isa was the constant struggle to breath.

Tim we buy a lot of gear from Sydney and Melbourne. It's only an issue if you order after 4 pm.

You are of course correct. It was the best I could come up with because you removed the golf option:wink:

BrisWesty
16th April 2010, 08:18 PM

Broken Hill has been on a separate timezone to the rest of NSW for years because it works for them. Big deal. If FNQ don't want it because that is what works for them then fine.

Thank you sms, about time someone mentioned Broken Hill. Mt Isa is further west than Broken Hill, so why don't they go onto SA/NT time?

I'm sick of my kids waking up at 4:30-5am in summer. (Heck I almost can't wait for them to become teenagers if only for that reason.)

Iain
16th April 2010, 08:26 PM
Only thing on my mind during my time in Mt Isa was the constant struggle to breath.

It wasn't because of the thin air at your level....

haysey
16th April 2010, 08:36 PM
It wasn't because of the thin air at your level....

:mrgreen:

Maybe. But I'd be more inclined to put it down to asthma brought on by the sulphur dioxide fumes.

mike
16th April 2010, 08:45 PM
1) Because when folk knock off work at 5pm and get home at 6 they can still have daylight hours to kick the ball around with their kids.

2) because when I'm cooking my Sunday night barby we can still play cricket in between turning the snags

3) When i come home from work, I can still mow the lawns leaving more time for family things on the weekend.

4) because we can ;)
I said ONE good reason , you've given 4. Smartarse.

Pete. 4 questions.
1)How old are your kids?
2)What time do you try get the youngest to bed?
3)What time does it get dark?
4) Can't think of a 4th question.

mike
16th April 2010, 08:45 PM
Gotta go. 2nd half has started.

PeteyD
16th April 2010, 09:09 PM
So the theory is to use the light at the start of the day, not really about the end of the day. Not sure that it makes any difference to me.

AndyP
16th April 2010, 09:20 PM
So the theory is to use the light at the start of the day, not really about the end of the day. Not sure that it makes any difference to me.
It doesn't work though if there isn't DST. For example, if I wanted to come home from work earlier to use some of the daylight, I would need to start earlier. I can't do that because the buses aren't going. You can shift your own hours, but you can't shift everyone else's.

3oneday
16th April 2010, 09:29 PM
11, 8 and 3.
About 8 in the middle of it, 7ish at the end.
Golf.

TourFit
16th April 2010, 09:59 PM
Which one are you fit? And you do realise it got voted on and "young people" were obligated to vote. So the reason we don't have it is because the majority is against it.

I said that it seemed that the 'younger people' generally favoured it...I know we ALL voted. And I was in the definately YES category. My point was that leading up to the referendum, there was a heavy campaign that supported the NO vote...backed by the money and power of the types that didn't want it anyway.

Hey I voted for it I just think the fit blaming "young people" for it failure is a bit rich.

I was far from blaming the 'young people' for the failure...I think that the conservative, reactionary element is alive and strong in WA. They have plenty of wealth and power, are generally more conservative in nature. And that isn't describing 'young people' (or is it?)

Daves
16th April 2010, 10:23 PM
I said that it seemed that the 'younger people' generally favoured it...I know we ALL voted. And I was in the definately YES category. My point was that leading up to the referendum, there was a heavy campaign that supported the NO vote...backed by the money and power of the types that didn't want it anyway.

I was far from blaming the 'young people' for the failure...I think that the conservative, reactionary element is alive and strong in WA. They have plenty of wealth and power, are generally more conservative in nature. And that isn't describing 'young people' (or is it?)

Plus there are actually more of them! Voters under 40 would make up less than a 3rd of the voting public I would suggest.

mike
16th April 2010, 10:29 PM
11, 8 and 3.
About 8 in the middle of it, 7ish at the end.
Golf.
So this isn't a problem?

markTHEblake
16th April 2010, 11:49 PM
4) because we can ;)

yeah we know you can do all those things but the reality is that 99% say its great but then they don't even use it. It will be 8pm and still daylight and the streets are deserted cos everyone is home having dinner and watching Neighbors or whatever.

mike
17th April 2010, 12:00 AM
Perhaps a 25 hour day would be a better option.

Courty
17th April 2010, 01:32 PM
Time waits for no one. If you want to get up an hour earlier, then do it. What happened before clocks were invented? ;)

Seriously though, I'm indifferent about the whole thing.

TheTrueReview
18th April 2010, 05:18 PM
Just came late to this party. Couldn't be bothered reading all of the preceding posts. Suffice to say that daylight saving won't happen in Qld for a hundred years. Without a government that is prepared to govern & just implement the bloody thing, the dithering will continue into the 22nd century.

goughy
20th May 2010, 08:28 AM
Our local council is putting in a submission to the qld government on behalf of the people of the Toowoomba regional council for a No on the daylight savings issue!!!! I don't remember being asked if I minded them doing that - or being asked what my thoughts were?

markTHEblake
20th May 2010, 06:29 PM
I think we should have daylight saving from May to July.

sms316
17th June 2010, 12:40 PM
It ain't happening. Just received this email as response for taking part in the survey. Bloody regional wankers holding the majority to ransom.

Thank you for taking time to provide your views on daylight saving in Queensland. This is an important issue affecting all parts of our State, and I am grateful to Queenslanders for providing such a strong response to this debate.

Mr Peter Wellington, an Independent Member of Parliament, introduced a Bill to the Queensland Parliament which proposed a referendum on the issue of daylight saving for South East Queensland (SEQ) only.

As all Members of Parliament would have to vote on the proposal, our Government resolved to ask Queenslanders what they thought of Mr Wellington’s idea.

As a result, I asked Members of Parliament to consult with their communities and provide feedback on whether or not Queenslanders supported holding a referendum or trialling this proposal. In addition I set up a website to obtain people’s views.

The results of the online survey showed that the majority of those who responded supported a trial and a referendum on split time zone daylight saving. From the total responses received, there were 63% who supported a referendum, and 64% who supported a trial.

However, the online survey results also clearly showed that Queenslanders living in regional areas were opposed to any proposal to split the State into two time zones. The responses showed that almost 65% of respondents from outside SEQ were not supportive of a referendum, and 76% were not supportive of a trial.

You can view details on all of the feedback to the online survey at www.getinvolved.qld.gov.au/daylightsaving (http://www.getinvolved.qld.gov.au/daylightsaving)

The feedback Members of Parliament received from their electorates also confirmed that the idea of a split state is unacceptable for regional Queenslanders, with more than 85% opposed to a referendum and 93% opposed to a trial.

While I can see the benefits daylight saving would have for people living in the South East corner, my Government is committed to governing for all parts of the State. I do not believe it would be appropriate to disregard the views of regional Queenslanders.

Regardless of what side of the argument you support, what is clear is the community are extremely passionate about this issue. Given your interest in daylight saving, I thought I’d let you know that the Government will not be supporting the proposal for a referendum.

If you supported the idea of a trial or referendum, I know you will be disappointed by this decision. However, I trust you now have a fuller understanding of the thinking behind our decision.

Again, thank you for participating in the daylight saving debate and bringing your views to my attention.

Yours sincerely

ANNA BLIGH MP
PREMIER OF QUEENSLAND

mike
17th June 2010, 12:48 PM
I think we should have daylight saving from May to July.
Have to agree. I was in Wollongong on the weekend and at 5.10 pm it was dark. Yet in January you can sit outside and read the newspaper until 9 o'clock.

They've got it all arse about.

3oneday
17th June 2010, 12:50 PM
But clearly it's not a debate that Bligh thinks will cost her votes.

AndyP
17th June 2010, 12:50 PM
They should put the clocks one hour earlier in the morning, and one hour later in the evening.

PeteyD
17th June 2010, 12:53 PM
But clearly it's not a debate that Bligh thinks will cost her votes.

It would cost the country seat votes. That is why it will never get in.

mike
17th June 2010, 12:57 PM
I say split the state. We don't need Brisbane.

henno
17th June 2010, 01:15 PM
I say split the state. We don't need Brisbane.

Great idea!

It would also make State Of Origin a bit more competitive too with SEQ v NQ. :razz:

BrisVegas
17th June 2010, 01:48 PM
why on earth was the idea of splitting the state part of the referendum??? I can't recall anyone saying it made sense to split the state. The question should have simply been, should qld trial daylight savings?

sms316
17th June 2010, 01:54 PM
why on earth was the idea of splitting the state part of the referendum??? I can't recall anyone saying it made sense to split the state. The question should have simply been, should qld trial daylight savings?

It does make sense to split the state. It's only emotion stopping people from realising just how sensible it is.

BrisVegas
17th June 2010, 01:57 PM
oh really? please enlightmen me as to why it makes sense and where you'd draw the line? None of the other states are split. What's so different about Qld ?

To my way of thinking, it make just as little sense as splitting time zones on the qld/nsw border.

AndyP
17th June 2010, 02:02 PM
There shouldn't be any states at all. We have a population of just over 20 million with three forms of government. New York City has a similar population and manages with one. **** state government off.

sms316
17th June 2010, 02:03 PM
oh really? please enlightmen me as to why it makes sense and where you'd draw the line? None of the other states are split. What's so different about Qld ?

To my way of thinking, it make just as little sense as splitting time zones on the qld/nsw border.

Broken Hill. Part of NSW yet on SA time due to it making more sense for them.

Same rule should apply for Qld.

BrisVegas
17th June 2010, 02:07 PM
ffs. who cares about Broken Hill? You're obviously taking the piss, so i'm going to ignore you from now on...... lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala :lol:

just
17th June 2010, 02:07 PM
There shouldn't be any states at all. We have a population of just over 20 million with three forms of government. New York City has a similar population and manages with one. **** state government off.
New York City has three forms of government and a rather confined geographical region, but don't let that de-rail your argument. I agree with you though, **** off the states

PeteyD
17th June 2010, 02:13 PM
Nah **** off the federal mob. All they have done is duplicate the states public services and increase taxes. In fact we should declare independance from Australia, we'd still win eveerything ;)

AndyP
17th June 2010, 02:24 PM
New York City has three forms of government and a rather confined geographical region, but don't let that de-rail your argument. Thanks mate. I knew I could count on someone to expose my lack of research.

markTHEblake
17th June 2010, 05:50 PM
It does make sense to split the state. It's only emotion stopping people from realising just how sensible it is.

I am still wondering when someone will offer a sensible reason for Daylight saving.

Bruce
17th June 2010, 06:26 PM
I am still wondering when someone will offer a sensible reason for Daylight saving.

Not to single you out Mark - but that line gets trotted out so often in the Daylight Savings debate and it shits me to tears.

Plenty of reasons get thrown up - you are just dismissing them as unreasonable based on your own position on the issue.

sms316
17th June 2010, 06:29 PM
I have no figures to back me up on this, but I would be stunned if having daylight saving didn't give the economy a boost. Stands to reason that more trade would be done with an extension of daylight at the end of the day.

Courty
17th June 2010, 06:30 PM
I have no figures to back me up on this, but I would be stunned if having daylight saving didn't give the economy a boost. Stands to reason that more trade would be done with an extension of daylight at the end of the day.

Would that counter the extra hour lost in the morning? :roll:

mike
17th June 2010, 06:31 PM

You said that same thing a few months ago. It still sounds stupid.

sms316
17th June 2010, 06:32 PM

Think about it like this - how much business gets done at 6 or 7am? Not much. How much extra could be done at 7pm?

Green fees are the perfect example. So is alfresco dining.

Bruce
17th June 2010, 06:32 PM

I'm sure they underestimate the economic impact of it being dark until 6:00AM and that lost daylight before 5:00AM.

sms316
17th June 2010, 06:33 PM
You said that same thing a few months ago. It still sounds stupid.

Probably because you are too thick to understand.

Courty
17th June 2010, 06:35 PM
Green fees are the perfect example. So is alfresco dining.

I gotta admit you've got a point with the green fees, but who ever decided not to go out for a meal because it was too dark?

sms316
17th June 2010, 06:42 PM
I'm sure that I have read figures that say cafe/restaurant trade increases with daylight hours, although it may have been twisted to look like it was about daylight when it may have just been the fact that it was too cold outside.

AndyP
17th June 2010, 06:50 PM
The sooner Qlders accept that it's not going to happen the better. It's a losing battle.

markTHEblake
17th June 2010, 08:24 PM
Not to single you out Mark - but that line gets trotted out so often in the Daylight Savings debate and it shits me to tears.

So does the line that daylight savings is sensible gets trotted out every year :roll:

Plenty of reasons get thrown up - you are just dismissing them as unreasonable based on your own position on the issue.You are arguing personal bias against personal bias now.

The reasons given for needing daylight savings are superfluous. We hear lots of them but people don't actually use them.

The only reason that its actually an issue is because of the split time zone in the Gold coast. Who really gives a stuff what the clock says, use Zulu time, and walk the dog when it suits you.

Daves
17th June 2010, 08:32 PM
So does the line that daylight savings is sensible gets trotted out every year :roll:

You are arguing personal bias against personal bias now.

The reasons given for needing daylight savings are superfluous. We hear lots of them but people don't actually use them.

The only reason that its actually an issue is because of the split time zone in the Gold coast. Who really gives a stuff what the clock says, use Zulu time, and walk the dog when it suits you.

And we wonder why we ended up with the a joke of a national rail system!

poidda
21st June 2010, 02:35 PM
And don't forget about the cows wont know when to come in to be milked. Oh sorry, that doesn't help YOUR argument does it.....

Hux
21st June 2010, 07:17 PM
I'd like daylight saving - can I spend it when it suits me.....

Seriously who cares. I don't think I would get any advantage out of it....I can spend money in the dark or sunlight but even with another hour of sunlight I still wouldn't be able to get out and do anything when I get home.

Ned
21st June 2010, 07:21 PM
Thank you for taking time to provide your views on daylight saving in Queensland . This is an important issue affecting all parts of our State, and I am grateful to Queenslanders for providing such a strong response to this debate.

Mr Peter Wellington, an Independent Member of Parliament, introduced a Bill to the Queensland Parliament which proposed a referendum on the issue of daylight saving for South East Queensland (SEQ) only.

As all Members of Parliament would have to vote on the proposal, our Government resolved to ask Queenslanders what they thought of Mr Wellington’s idea.

As a result, I asked Members of Parliament to consult with their communities and provide feedback on whether or not Queenslanders supported holding a referendum or trialling this proposal. In addition I set up a website to obtain people’s views.

The results of the online survey showed that the majority of those who responded supported a trial and a referendum on split time zone daylight saving. From the total responses received, there were 63% who supported a referendum, and 64% who supported a trial.

However, the online survey results also clearly showed that Queenslanders living in regional areas were opposed to any proposal to split the State into two time zones. The responses showed that almost 65% of respondents from outside SEQ were not supportive of a referendum, and 76% were not supportive of a trial.

You can view details on all of the feedback to the online survey at www.getinvolved.qld.gov.au/daylightsaving (http://www.getinvolved.qld.gov.au/daylightsaving)

The feedback Members of Parliament received from their electorates also confirmed that the idea of a split state is unacceptable for regional Queenslanders, with more than 85% opposed to a referendum and 93% opposed to a trial.

While I can see the benefits daylight saving would have for people living in the South East corner, my Government is committed to governing for all parts of the State. I do not believe it would be appropriate to disregard the views of regional Queenslanders.

Regardless of what side of the argument you support, what is clear is the community are extremely passionate about this issue. Given your interest in daylight saving, I thought I’d let you know that the Government will not be supporting the proposal for a referendum.

If you supported the idea of a trial or referendum, I know you will be disappointed by this decision. However, I trust you now have a fuller understanding of the thinking behind our decision.

Again, thank you for participating in the daylight saving debate and bringing your views to my attention.

Yours sincerely

ANNA BLIGH MP
PREMIER OF QUEENSLAND

sms316
22nd June 2010, 03:20 PM
Good one, Scoop. Your attention to detail will make you a great public servant.

markTHEblake
22nd June 2010, 06:15 PM
And don't forget about the cows wont know when to come in to be milked. Oh sorry, that doesn't help YOUR argument does it.....

it does actually, because the cows cant read a clock.

sms316
14th November 2012, 09:44 AM
After seeing how excited the Cairns folk were this morning about it being dark at 6.45am, I can't help but think that they would now be in favour of daylight saving. Imagine if they were that excited every day.

mike
14th November 2012, 10:00 AM
Canberra has daylight saving.

idgolfguy
14th November 2012, 11:03 AM
After seeing how excited the Cairns folk were this morning about it being dark at 6.45am, I can't help but think that they would now be in favour of daylight saving. Imagine if they were that excited every day.
Like WA, too many reasons why it is not a good idea.

Another 20 years, when the generation off the rural side have died, it would be more likely.

Mephisto
14th November 2012, 07:44 PM
So who'll look after the cows then?

Tongueboy
14th November 2012, 09:53 PM
Plenty of sheep shaggers! Maybe they will turn?

sms316
29th December 2013, 07:57 AM
http://m.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/push-for-fresh-daylight-saving-trial-for-queensland-as-economy-loses-4b-a-year/story-fnihsrf2-1226791168408

Jarro
29th December 2013, 10:37 AM
I voted for it

goughy
29th December 2013, 10:44 AM
Ain't gonna happen. It's qld's equivalent of gay marriage. Neither party supports it either.

sms316
29th December 2013, 10:50 AM
Ain't gonna happen. It's qld's equivalent of gay marriage. Neither party supports it either. That's because both parties are more concerned about not alienating a few seats up north rather than doing the right thing by the majority.

goughy
29th December 2013, 10:51 AM
;)

Courty
29th December 2013, 05:52 PM
The biggest-ever survey of businesses revealed that more than a quarter of companies across Queensland are financially disadvantaged by the hour's difference between us and the rest of the eastern seaboard for six months every year.

A quarter is hardly a majority. It's not a particularly compelling argument. What's to say that the balance wouldn't be disadvantaged if it were brought in?

FWIW, despite living in FNQ I'm impartial on the whole thing. I couldn't care less if it came in or not.

mike
29th December 2013, 06:59 PM
I'm yet to hear a legitimate reason to have it.

matty
29th December 2013, 07:01 PM
You can enjoy life more in the evenings after work and not be woken up by the sun at 4am.

sms316
29th December 2013, 07:14 PM
A quarter is hardly a majority. It's not a particularly compelling argument. What's to say that the balance wouldn't be disadvantaged if it were brought in?FWIW, despite living in FNQ I'm impartial on the whole thing. I couldn't care less if it came in or not.It's actually quite the compelling argument. That's a lot of stimulus into an economy.

PeteyD
29th December 2013, 08:08 PM
It's actually quite the compelling argument. That's a lot of stimulus into an economy.

Maybe or maybe not. http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/daylight-saving-debate.html

T (http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/daylight-saving-debate.html)he argument is not as compelling as the noisy ones would have you believe.

goughy
29th December 2013, 08:28 PM
My cats wake up with the sun, then annoy me to no end. That's rain enough for everyone to support dlst. To suit me!

PeteyD
29th December 2013, 08:47 PM
Shoot the cats. Problem Solvered ;)

sms316
29th December 2013, 08:55 PM
Or rent the cats out.

mike
29th December 2013, 09:14 PM
Two time zones. Simple.

Sydney Hacker
29th December 2013, 09:21 PM
Had finished golf by 7:30 this morning at Maryborough, 18 holes plus fart arsing around before teeing off.

BrettM
29th December 2013, 09:22 PM
I'm yet to hear a legitimate reason to have it. ^^ This

markTHEblake
29th December 2013, 10:44 PM
A quarter is hardly a majority. It's not a particularly compelling argument. What's to say that the balance wouldn't be disadvantaged if it were brought in.The argument in that article is subjective opinion as well. It might sound nice but its total bullshit to say it costs money there is no way to quantify that. If it was so true then Perth should also revert to eastern time to save money.The solution to the daylight saving inconsistency in the eastern states is to abolish it. If you want to walk the dog after work then do it. you don't need the government to help you.

Courty
3rd January 2014, 10:37 AM
From the local rag: http://www.cairnspost.com.au/lifestyle/you-said-it-cairns-has-a-say-on-daylight-saving-debate/story-fnjpuwet-1226794158008

sms316
3rd January 2014, 10:38 AM
From the local rag: http://www.cairnspost.com.au/lifestyle/you-said-it-cairns-has-a-say-on-daylight-saving-debate/story-fnjpuwet-1226794158008Why do so many Cairns folk say it is ok to be in a different time zone to the rest of the eastern states but not SEQ?

BUSHY
3rd January 2014, 02:49 PM
You can enjoy life more in the evenings after work and not be woken up by the sun at 4am.

I feel the same, but it doesn't concern me that much anymore. I loved it when I lived in Sydney. I don't understand the argument.

markTHEblake
3rd January 2014, 04:36 PM
I wouldn't have liked daylight saving as a younger man. Its so much easier to find my way home at 4am if there is daylight.