PDA

View Full Version : East Coast roady

dhills2
15th April 2010, 04:32 PM
In a couple of months I'll be road tripping from Gosford to Cairns with no time frames whatsoever... and I will be trying to fit in a few rounds on the way up. Can't play everywhere as I'll go broke but I'm thinking the following will make the cut:

Pac Dunes - only if we make an early stopover nearby.
Bonville - John Eales doesn't come across as a liar.
Royal Pines - so I can say I've played there when it pops up on TV.
Brooky - only heard good things.
Twin Waters/Noosa Springs - one or the other, probably flip a coin.

Where should I stop between Sunshine Coast & Cairns? Preferably places with a nice camping ground or other cheap accomodation of some sort. Fishing spots nearby also a bonus :)

Can't wait... just need to get the bulging disc sorted out before then! Though I'll be playing Bonville & Brooky even if I have to OD on diclofenac the night before :D

Further suggestions welcome!!

Minor_Threat
15th April 2010, 05:00 PM
I would play Hyatt Coolum over Twin Waters or Noosa Springs.

BrisVegas
15th April 2010, 05:01 PM
Happy to host you on a weekend at brooky.

dhills2
15th April 2010, 09:30 PM
MT - done, Coolum it is for Sunny Coast ;)

BV - very kind of you mate, might have to take you up on that! It'd be good to have a hit with some ozgolfers on the way up... will definitely be putting the call out when the time comes.

Any suggestions on where to stop further north?

mike
15th April 2010, 09:58 PM
1770 is a nice spot. Tannum Sands too. Stop off at Gympie and help Zac with some homework.
You'll have to take a detour to Airlie Beach. I don't know if there's a golf course there but who cares.
I hear the course at Rollingstone (just north of Townsville) is a gem. Can't remember what it's called. Mystic Island or something like that.

dhills2
16th April 2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks Mike! I actually had Airlie in mind as I haven't been there since I was a little tacker. Might have to check out how far out Rollingston is from Townsville... might also check the Cowboys draw to see if I can make a visit to Dairy Farmers :)

AndyP
16th April 2010, 11:49 AM
I would play Hyatt Coolum over Twin Waters or Noosa Springs.Or if you can't get on there, go to Pelican Waters.

haysey
16th April 2010, 12:00 PM
Might have to check out how far out Rollingston is from Townsville...

30-40 minutes? From memory there used to be a caravan park there that was quite pleasant as well.

Moe Norman
16th April 2010, 12:00 PM
looking for places to stop and play golf, or just stop?

dhills2
16th April 2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks Andy, I've taken note.

Haysey, caravan park might do nicely there, I'll see what google can tell me later.

Moe, bit of both mate but probably more stopovers for rest after we get north of Sunny Coast (though I might try to get a game in at Rollingstone by the look of it)... how many back are you at AJC?

morgy
16th April 2010, 12:49 PM
Byron Bay is a must IMHO

dhills2
16th April 2010, 01:11 PM
Byron Bay is a must IMHO

Haha, I have already pencilled you in. However, I am playing a round with Big Jim up in Goldy or Brissy as well... I figured you might be keen for a short drive if we were playing somewhere worthwhile.

morgy
16th April 2010, 02:12 PM
Haha, I have already pencilled you in. However, I am playing a round with Big Jim up in Goldy or Brissy as well... I figured you might be keen for a short drive if we were playing somewhere worthwhile.

Yeah I'm in. I'll tag along to all the good courses within a couple hundie kms.

cazandpaul
21st April 2010, 11:26 AM
Have not played them all but only heard good reports - Maryborough, Bargara, Calliope, Tannum Sands, Rockhampton, Capricorn - so many courses, so little time.

dhills2
21st April 2010, 12:17 PM
I've been out to Bargara... not a bad spot once you disregard the fact it's so close to Bundaberg - the land that time forgot

I'll check out the others online throughout the work day... thanks for the input ;)

Dcanto
21st April 2010, 02:33 PM
I haven't played there myself but I have heard positive comments about Hervey Bay.

Sydney Hacker
21st April 2010, 02:39 PM
Hervey Bay & Maryborough are both worth playing. If you have to pick one I would probably go with Maryborough.

Having said that if you think Bundaberg is the place time forgot you are in for a shock in Maryborough !

Calliope is also decent, depending on how much rain they have had.

dhills2
21st April 2010, 03:01 PM
Haha... I just picked on Bundy because my brother used to live there! Not such a bad spot, just a little slow for me.

I'm thinking Hervey Bay might be the first stop after Brissy on the way up. Then somewhere close to Calliope might work... any suggestions for a spot to camp on the coast there?

Not sure where to spend the day between Rocky & Mackay but after that it will probably be Airlie Beach, Rollingstone then Cairns.

My girlfriend has reminded me that we have a whole road trip back down a few months later as well... she seems to be in a hurry to get up to Cairns to find some work before tourist season dies down.

haysey
21st April 2010, 03:13 PM
My girlfriend has reminded me that we have a whole road trip back down a few months later as well... she seems to be in a hurry to get up to Cairns to find some work before tourist season dies down.

The tourist season is only just starting now. FWIW I'm not sure how good a year its going to be.

dhills2
21st April 2010, 03:29 PM
Meh, doesn't matter, we are living with relatives & are happy to do whatever jobs come up for a few extra dollars. Girlfriend is a teacher & I'm (unfortunately) a legal eagle but we are actually wanting to wait tables, serve coffees, pull beers etc in prep for travels abroad. I might see if one of the golf clubs up there needs someone to pull beers or something :)

Sydney Hacker
21st April 2010, 03:31 PM
Haha... I just picked on Bundy because my brother used to live there! Not such a bad spot, just a little slow for me.

I'm thinking Hervey Bay might be the first stop after Brissy on the way up. Then somewhere close to Calliope might work... any suggestions for a spot to camp on the coast there?

Not sure where to spend the day between Rocky & Mackay but after that it will probably be Airlie Beach, Rollingstone then Cairns.

Calliope is only about 3 hours from Hervey Bay so you might like to head a little further that day. Maybe Yeppoon or Capricorn might be a bit better.

dhills2
21st April 2010, 04:12 PM
Noted. Yeppoon seems like a nice spot to stop as well.

So many nice locations... might have to forget the golf along QLD stretch & just settle for some fishing & scenery. See how we go.

ParMaster
21st April 2010, 05:27 PM
Definately try and get a game at RQ, and Murwillambah if you can. RQ is one of my favorite courses, and I rate Murwillambah quite highly as well.

Hux
21st April 2010, 06:33 PM
I've been out to Bargara... not a bad spot once you disregard the fact it's so close to Bundaberg - the land that time forgot

I'll check out the others online throughout the work day... thanks for the input ;)

ROFLMAO.. spent most of my school years in Bundy and learnt to play golf (unlearnt it all since) as a junior member at Bargara when Norm Hobbs was pro.

Bargara used to be a decent track but that was that close to 30 years ago it ain't funny.

If you just want a great spot to camp and maybe try your hand for a dam Barra try the camp grounds at the base of Fred Haig Dam aka Mondurran Dam just on the north side of Gin Gin (60km north of Bundy). Gin Gin GC was pretty ordinary the one time I played @ 1980....had cracks in the clay you lost balls into and not much else.

Hux
21st April 2010, 06:37 PM
Capricorn Resort has 2 good courses at Yeppoon. Championship course is the pick of the two if you can only play one.

dhills2
21st April 2010, 06:49 PM
Cheers PM & Hux.

Dam barra certainly sounds like a goer... I'll check out that area for sure. Not sure if I should rely on your course reports from the 80s though :)