PDA

View Full Version : Just Ordered a Groove Sharpener a'la the same ones as were bulk ordered on here

Bushka
14th April 2010, 08:15 AM
Any tips?

Particularly interested in using it on my old Cleveland 900 series 52*. Since i know a lot of you hooligans have them I figure i'd put it out there and find out.

I assume i have U grooves but will check it on the googleaphone first.

GolfBallWhackerGuy
14th April 2010, 08:37 AM
Me too. I was curious after seeing some threads. Would also be interested to hear of tips on what to do or NOT to do. Cheers

grandmasterb
14th April 2010, 09:29 AM
Make sure club/grooves are clean before starting.

Start with lightly pressured strokes building up with more pressure as you go and finish the with some oil (another 5 or so strokes) and you shouldn't have any dramas.

GolfBallWhackerGuy
14th April 2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks GMB. Do you know if the Vokey Spin Milled are U, V or Square grooves?

Johnny Canuck
14th April 2010, 12:49 PM
They are U grooves, I believe.

They come with instructions. I clean them and apply a little WD40 right away. Be careful when you get near the end of the grooves as the tool can pop out and give you a nice scratch on your club face.

Bushka
14th April 2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

Have you noticed an extension in the performance of your wedges? I know the ebay add talks about it but it wouldn't be a capitalist paradise if they weren't giving the consumer a little pocket massage.

I've had people especially with spin milled vokeys tell me the spin had decreased. Is that the grooves or the spin milling wearing down?

Johnny Canuck
14th April 2010, 11:43 PM
It definitely extends the life of your wedges. I notice a substantial difference in spin after using the groove tool.

razaar
15th April 2010, 08:12 AM
Did you ask them why they considered the spin had decreased? How does one guage that, over a hundred shots or a handful?
Thanks for the info guys.

Have you noticed an extension in the performance of your wedges? I know the ebay add talks about it but it wouldn't be a capitalist paradise if they weren't giving the consumer a little pocket massage.

I've had people especially with spin milled vokeys tell me the spin had decreased. Is that the grooves or the spin milling wearing down?

Bushka
15th April 2010, 09:18 AM
No didn't delve too deeply into it. The main thing i was wondering particularly with the spin milled was the grooves vs the face milling debate.

DIdn't want to sound like a punish though so just nodded and moved along :)

Minor_Threat
15th April 2010, 09:20 AM
Definitely increased the spin in my old Vokeys! That wouldn't have been too hard though, there wasn't much of the grooves left..