PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a Cleveland Launcher DST?

Dcanto
13th April 2010, 08:56 PM
I am thinking of changing my driver. I currently play the original Cleveland Hi-bore and am wondering if the new Launcher will give me a bit more distance and forgiveness? Anyone demoed or purchased this new offering from Cleveland? :)

Courty
13th April 2010, 09:07 PM
Haven't hit one or even seen one in the flesh, Dave. There was a bunch of hype when they were about to be released, but it's all gone quite. Maybe they didn't live up to expectations?

Ned
13th April 2010, 09:09 PM
http://www.golfalot.com/equipment-reviews/cleveland/launcher-dst-driver.aspx

Dcanto
13th April 2010, 10:59 PM
Haven't hit one or even seen one in the flesh, Dave. There was a bunch of hype when they were about to be released, but it's all gone quite. Maybe they didn't live up to expectations?

I've been reliably informed that Golf World have both the DST & DST Tour versions in stock but haven't yet had the opportunity to get in to check them out. I agree - lots of hype to begin with but not much since release and so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. :-s

Dotty
13th April 2010, 11:09 PM
It ran 4th in a 4 horse race on The Pro Shop (ONE-HD) last week.

Main problem was Cleveland sent a 12* draw model with reg. shaft, for the ex-pros to compare to more suitable models from the other OEMs.

Dcanto
13th April 2010, 11:16 PM
It ran 4th in a 4 horse race on The Pro Shop (ONE-HD) last week.

Main problem was Cleveland sent a 12* draw model with reg. shaft, for the ex-pros to compare to more suitable models from the other OEMs.

I bet some poor Cleveland rep got rapped over the knuckles for sending out that model to a comparison test. Just out of curiosity - what were the other drivers tested and which one came first? :)

Dotty
13th April 2010, 11:27 PM
Wilson Smooth came first, which got good raps from both testers (Jay Townsend and Grant Dodd.)

I think the other two may have been Ping G10 and Callaway FTiZ.

They also noted the importance of getting fitted for a driver to suit the player (as opposed to an off-the-shelf purchase).

ps. Make that Ping G15 (or I15). I'm still in 2008.

Dcanto
13th April 2010, 11:29 PM
Many Thanks for that info Dotty & NK. That Golfalot site looks quite interesting. Cheers.

LeftyHoges
13th April 2010, 11:48 PM
All I can say is I hope they're not still using the Fuji Fit-On shafts as stock anymore. Worst shafts ever.

Dcanto
14th April 2010, 12:08 AM
Good call - The Cleveland website says the stock shaft is the Diamana Ultralite Red 44 shaft. Must confess I haven't hit a driver with any version of a Diamana shaft so can't comment on this stock shaft.

Apparently our local Golf World now has a launch monitor so if I get a spare moment I'll duck in and see if they'll let me have a go. :)

sol381
14th April 2010, 07:29 AM
i just picked up the dst tour a few days ago to replace my nike sasquatch. i got the 9.5 deg because i was hitting the nike too high.. it also has a diamana white stiff shaft. went to the range and the feel and ball flight is so much better. it has a more penetrating flight and feels very good off the club.. happy so far.

Dcanto
14th April 2010, 09:57 AM
i just picked up the dst tour a few days ago to replace my nike sasquatch. i got the 9.5 deg because i was hitting the nike too high.. it also has a diamana white stiff shaft. went to the range and the feel and ball flight is so much better. it has a more penetrating flight and feels very good off the club.. happy so far.

Thanks for that feedback sol. I must admit the tour version appeals to me from the pics I have seen on the net. The slightly smaller head just seems to sit better at address. That's why I never went to the larger Hi-bore versions - it looked like you had a frying pan on the end of your shaft. :)

sol381
14th April 2010, 10:02 AM
exactly . i went for the smaller 430 head because it looks and feels better. . seems that is the size most pros use.. its also one of the lightest drivers on the market and you can feel it when you swing. i think they come standard 1/2 inch longer if im not mistaken. mine is longer but still feels right. it is also 2 deg open and youre right it sits great at address.

grandmasterb
14th April 2010, 04:47 PM
Hit a few balls with the tour yesterday, solid club and forgiving with the miss hits. Looks great at address (slightly open) but IMO the Diamana lets it down.

Dcanto
14th April 2010, 05:35 PM
Just received in the mail the latest copy of Aussie Golf Digest and included is a 44 page guide to the Hot List which I understand is put together by the Yankee version of GD. The Launcher DST (no mention of the tour version) is one of the tested drivers and it gets a Gold rating - along with the following:
- Adams Speedline Fast10
- Callaway Diablo Edge, Diablo Edge Tour and FTiZ
- Cobra S2 & ZL
- Nike VR Str8Fit Tour
- Ping G15
- Taylormade R9 / R9 460

The Callaway FT9, Mizuno MP630 Fasttrack, Titleist 909 D2/D3/DComp and Tour Edge XCG3 only got Silver.

Haven't read it all yet but it appears some of the Tour versions of various clubs e.g. Callaway FT Tour and TaylorMade R9 Supertri were not included as these models are made with only the best golfers in mind.

Sorry if I have crapped on a bit but as a nerdy accountant I find this sort of comparison and analysis stuff interesting. :)

KristianJ
14th April 2010, 05:52 PM
FT-9 and the 909s were Gold in the 09 Hot List...they'll probably have lost points in the "innovation" and "demand" categories given they've been around for more than a year. Plus I'm not sure that the Supertri and FT Tour were available for testing, but I imagine they'd come up in the 2011 Hot List.

And the online version of the Hot List mentions the Tour version of the DST:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/hot-list/2010-02/hotlist_drivers?currentPage=2

haysey
14th April 2010, 06:43 PM
Just received in the mail the latest copy of Aussie Golf Digest and included is a 44 page guide to the Hot List which I understand is put together by the Yankee version of GD. The Launcher DST (no mention of the tour version) is one of the tested drivers and it gets a Gold rating - along with the following:
- Adams Speedline Fast10
- Callaway Diablo Edge, Diablo Edge Tour and FTiZ
- Cobra S2 & ZL
- Nike VR Str8Fit Tour
- Ping G15
- Taylormade R9 / R9 460

The Callaway FT9, Mizuno MP630 Fasttrack, Titleist 909 D2/D3/DComp and Tour Edge XCG3 only got Silver.

Haven't read it all yet but it appears some of the Tour versions of various clubs e.g. Callaway FT Tour and TaylorMade R9 Supertri were not included as these models are made with only the best golfers in mind.

Sorry if I have crapped on a bit but as a nerdy accountant I find this sort of comparison and analysis stuff interesting. :)

That explains why Courty can't hit his:D

Courty
14th April 2010, 06:50 PM
That explains why Courty can't hit his:D

Interesting comment considering how you played today. :p

haysey
14th April 2010, 06:54 PM
Interesting comment considering how you played today. :p

When? Holes 19 through 27? After a 5 hour round this morning...putting up with Solarman.

Even a supremely fit legend like myself fades eventually:D

Courty
14th April 2010, 07:10 PM
:roll:

Dcanto
14th April 2010, 08:18 PM
When I originally made the post about the Hot List I wondered how long it was going to be before someone threw in a comment about the "better golfers" drivers. You guys didn't let me down (and are getting a bit predictable).

Clevision
15th April 2010, 04:31 PM
I have a 9.5 XLS Tour with the Fuji red shaft in stiff, last night I played 9 holes with the DST Tour 9.5 Diamana white stiff, nice club.
My ball flight was considerably lower, length about the same, but it was a calm night, I'm sure it would be better for me in the breeze. The club has a very soft feel upon contact, almost mushy, not a fan of that and it sounded a bit dead off the club, but it went well.
Also had a few hits with a Titleist 909 D3 stiff and it felt a lot firmer off the face and had a crisper sound to it, similar ball flight and distance.
I've had a few hits in a shop with a Ping i15 with a Proforce shaft in it and that's the one I want to get on the course for a demo, awesome club to hit into a net!

Dcanto
15th April 2010, 05:10 PM
I have a 9.5 XLS Tour with the Fuji red shaft in stiff, last night I played 9 holes with the DST Tour 9.5 Diamana white stiff, nice club.
My ball flight was considerably lower, length about the same, but it was a calm night, I'm sure it would be better for me in the breeze. The club has a very soft feel upon contact, almost mushy, not a fan of that and it sounded a bit dead off the club, but it went well.
Also had a few hits with a Titleist 909 D3 stiff and it felt a lot firmer off the face and had a crisper sound to it, similar ball flight and distance.
I've had a few hits in a shop with a Ping i15 with a Proforce shaft in it and that's the one I want to get on the course for a demo, awesome club to hit into a net!

Thanks for the feedback Clevision. Not sure what other club I would like to try apart from the DST - I have heard some interesting comments about the new Bridgestone J38 but not yet seen one in the flesh. I wonder if this is what Freddy Couples had in his bag for the Masters? From what I have seen on the net the Ping i15 certainly looks worth checking out.