PDA

View Full Version : Srixon Tour Yellow

fredstar
13th April 2010, 04:50 PM
Now that you can get these (not in OZ) yellow Z-Star balls would anyone game these?

Furyk and Singh I think used them at the Masters and there is some buzz about them. I decided to order a few dozen from the US to give em a go for something different.

Won't get them mixed up with other balls, however I used one for a few holes in comp at St Miks and a guy coming up the other fairway was also using a yellow Vision ball and hit mine. Couldn't believe it!!

Looking forward to getting them though.

Johnny Canuck
13th April 2010, 04:52 PM
I'll use them for sure.

terrys
13th April 2010, 07:07 PM
Boz will be pleased with that comment! :)

A lot of guys on a US forum i frequent have converted and are really pleased.

Now that you can get these (not in OZ) yellow Z-Star balls would anyone game these?

Furyk and Singh I think used them at the Masters and there is some buzz about them. I decided to order a few dozen from the US to give em a go for something different.

Won't get them mixed up with other balls, however I used one for a few holes in comp at St Miks and a guy coming up the other fairway was also using a yellow Vision ball and hit mine. Couldn't believe it!!

Looking forward to getting them though.

virge666
13th April 2010, 08:17 PM
I would be happy to.

TheBoz_fromOz
13th April 2010, 08:22 PM
Hey Terry, I hope Srixon release them locally because it will help show more players how the colour can help.

What I have heard to date is that they will struggle to cover the stock required to fulfill the interest in the US
and at this time don't actually have plans to release them here, but this story has been evolving over the
weeks and I don't think they understood how many players would be interested if the ball was right.

The other issue is that there seems to be a belief that they will only sell to Zstar players and as such just
canabalise their own numbers but I don't see that as many Premium ball players will buy some to experiment
with,which is what I was hoping to do but doesn't matter so long as the colour gets a run.

The other issue they havn't thought of is even if you didn't make Yellow your gamer ball it is worth carring
a sleeve for those times when the weather or light is poor which can save a player from losing a ball
unnecessarily, especially around the twilight or daybreak portion of the day.

You guys should hassle your pro's about them as they are excellent balls.

Cheers,
Boz.

Jarro
13th April 2010, 08:59 PM
I'll use them 8)

Yossarian
13th April 2010, 09:01 PM
My only reservation about using them is that Jarro has said he would to:razz:

terrys
13th April 2010, 09:03 PM
They have Orange ones as well.

fredstar
13th April 2010, 10:11 PM
The guy at Powergolf said there was some interest from customers but Srixon Australia already decided not to bring them here. Stupid call I reckon. Even a limited amount would have sold.
I'm not a Z-Star player but I ordered 5 dozen today to use and stock up in case suddenly none are available anywhere.

fredstar
13th April 2010, 10:11 PM
They have Orange ones as well.

Who has orange ones?

TheBoz_fromOz
13th April 2010, 10:58 PM
They had Orange zstar's approved for tournament play because they couldn't be sure which colour
their contract players would play and have not released them for sale but they might in the States.

Golfnut
13th April 2010, 11:24 PM
3balls are doing them for 39.95US a dozen.......what's the hype about?

fredstar
13th April 2010, 11:29 PM
Yellow premium ball.......something different I suppose for us gear addicts!

Golfnut
13th April 2010, 11:40 PM
Sorry Fred, I meant what's the hype all about the colour??? I'm already a Z-star user just wondering if there's any science behind the change in colour......will I be able to spot it better on the fairway/rough? Does the brain focus on it better? etc....

fredstar
13th April 2010, 11:49 PM
This is Srixon site about the balls....pretty interesting.

http://www.srixon.com/balls_zstar_ty.html

3oneday
14th April 2010, 07:37 AM
How many you want ? ;)

TourFit
14th April 2010, 03:46 PM
Sorry Fred, I meant what's the hype all about the colour??? I'm already a Z-star user just wondering if there's any science behind the change in colour......will I be able to spot it better on the fairway/rough? Does the brain focus on it better? etc...

Yes. Just not your brain...

Yoss is looking for them in Lime Green or Pink please...

Jarro
14th April 2010, 03:55 PM
How many you want ? ;)

Ahhhh, the enabler speaks ;)

Bruce Dickinson
14th April 2010, 04:40 PM
These will go on the list with lasers and hybrids....long live the 2 iron :D

grandmasterb
14th April 2010, 04:41 PM
Im still yet to hit a z-star let alone contemplate using a yellow one.

Would be interesting to hear the feedback from those that did use them last week.

3oneday
14th April 2010, 04:47 PM
Ahhhh, the enabler speaks ;)

softcock ones or ones that Haysey would use ???

:p

fredstar
14th April 2010, 06:04 PM
A few guys have reviewed them on golfwrx.com in the balls section. All positive by the sounds of it, especially the visibility stuff

3oneday
14th April 2010, 06:45 PM
I might try some next week then ;)

Jarro
14th April 2010, 06:55 PM
I might try some next week then ;)

Count me in for a dozen then please ;)

sms316
14th April 2010, 07:41 PM
Furyk and Singh I think used them at the Masters and there is some buzz about them.

Did them a lot of good.

MegaWatty
14th April 2010, 07:52 PM
Did them a lot of good.

Actually, only Clarke and Singh used them. Furyk used it in the Par 3 comp where he hit a hole in one with it. So perhaps it is the better of the better ball?

leighthebee
14th April 2010, 07:54 PM
they need black stripes.

i'm keen to give them a go.

markTHEblake
14th April 2010, 07:54 PM
Bit of a surprise that Srixon launched the Yellow colour in their premium ball, i would have thought they would have started with their hackers ball.

Thats good for us Vision players, should help remove the 'range ball' moron comments i often get.

3oneday
14th April 2010, 08:31 PM
Count me in for a dozen then please ;)

normal or X ?

Bushka
14th April 2010, 08:41 PM
When will they bring out the Pro V1 in black for us super stars?

Dotty
14th April 2010, 09:52 PM
When will they bring out the Pro V1 in black for us super stars?
Around 5 years ago, but Nike beat them to it ...

http://golf.about.com/b/2005/03/03/nikes-magic-black-ball-available-in-special-promotion.htm

henno
14th April 2010, 09:57 PM
I look forward to the day when GPS chips are as cheap as smart card chips, or cheaper. Place one chip inside each ball and never lose your tee shot again.

Or just hit the fairway, you choppers. :razz:

Johnny Canuck
14th April 2010, 11:41 PM
Bit of a surprise that Srixon launched the Yellow colour in their premium ball, i would have thought they would have started with their hackers ball.

Thats good for us Vision players, should help remove the 'range ball' moron comments i often get.

Not surprising at all. They're aggressively pursuing the premium ball market, why not be the first to change colour? A very smart move in my opinion.

I look forward to the day when GPS chips are as cheap as smart card chips, or cheaper. Place one chip inside each ball and never lose your tee shot again.

Or just hit the fairway, you choppers. :razz:

Already been done. http://www.radargolf.com/

Jarro
15th April 2010, 06:18 AM
normal or X ?

Normal please :)

3oneday
15th April 2010, 09:04 AM
You get a free Srixon hat too 8)

petethepilot
15th April 2010, 04:01 PM
Just bought some back from Japan! Will review them in a few days.

Pete

Daves
15th April 2010, 05:47 PM
Just bought some back from Japan! Will review them in a few days.

Pete

You back playing again Pete?

Daves
15th April 2010, 08:49 PM
Some up on Oz Ebay now;

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1-DOZEN-BRAND-NEW-SRIXON-Z-STAR-X-YELLOW-GOLF-BALLS_W0QQitemZ310213776315QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_S port_Golf_Equipment?hash=item483a2e93bb

Jarro
15th April 2010, 09:45 PM
You get a free Srixon hat too 8)

8) 8) 8)

terrys
15th April 2010, 10:23 PM
They had Orange zstar's approved for tournament play because they couldn't be sure which colour
their contract players would play and have not released them for sale but they might in the States.

I know you can buy the orange ones in the States in the San Diego area.

grandmasterb
16th April 2010, 05:40 PM
If you have a sleeve left 3OD i wouldn't mind giving them a try???

3oneday
16th April 2010, 06:42 PM
Should be fine, I halved my order once I saw they were already on ebay, but I'll still have 2 dozen or which I'll probably garb a couple of sleeves for me.

petethepilot
16th April 2010, 07:10 PM
Daves,

I'm back! Gone from 5 to 2 whilst off having knee surgery. Pretty good hey! Although the change in the handicaping scheme has probably had a bit to do with it.

Looking forward to playing with some of you Oz golfers again. (Done a bit of club hoing whilst sitting at home!)

Pete

Daves
20th April 2010, 07:34 PM
Some up on Oz Ebay now;

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1-DOZEN-BRAND-NEW-SRIXON-Z-STAR-X-YELLOW-GOLF-BALLS_W0QQitemZ310213776315QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_S port_Golf_Equipment?hash=item483a2e93bb

Damn!, went to order some from the above Ebayer and the price has been jacked right up, $52 to $70 a doz!

AO85
20th April 2010, 09:30 PM
Damn!, went to order some from the above Ebayer and the price has been jacked right up, $52 to $70 a doz!

I know, what's up with that!

3oneday
20th April 2010, 09:53 PM
Probably realised $52 was too cheap ;)

adlo
21st April 2010, 12:04 AM
The WA crew probably bought the last 6 dozen 8)

MegaWatty
21st April 2010, 12:08 AM
The WA crew probably bought the last 6 dozen 8)
Did we get them from him or 3balls?

adlo
21st April 2010, 12:11 AM
Ended up getting them from him, easier and same price in the end. 3balls shipping seems dearer these days.

MegaWatty
21st April 2010, 12:13 AM
I'm seriously thinking about starting to import golf stuff and on selling it. I have a side company that will assist.

Probably should have started with grips! ;)

3oneday
21st April 2010, 09:17 AM
I have 6 sleeves of the Tour Yellow (not X yet, I have a couple of dozen X that some says they are buying, standing by ;) ). $13 a sleeve plus postage.

KristianJ
21st April 2010, 09:22 AM
I'll come pick a sleeve up over the weekend if that's OK, Pete. Sat arvo around 2? I think I remember your address.

IanO
21st April 2010, 09:43 AM
I'm seriously thinking about starting to import golf stuff and on selling it. I have a side company that will assist.

Probably should have started with grips! ;)

Try this guy, the price for grips seems OK to me (but what would I know as I have been dumb enough to pay $15 each at my pro shop)

edit (forgot link) http://shop.ebay.com.au/hellogolfwarehouse/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

3oneday
21st April 2010, 10:11 AM
I'll come pick a sleeve up over the weekend if that's OK, Pete. Sat arvo around 2? I think I remember your address.

Pretty sure someone is home, I'm at golf ;)

KristianJ
21st April 2010, 10:49 AM
That's OK - if your missus will be home, I'll still come then. Otherwise I can leave it until later if you're that keen to put an ugly name to an even uglier face. :p

3oneday
21st April 2010, 11:16 AM
I checked, she'll be home. Otherwise I'll be at Dunheved if you want to come out there.

KristianJ
21st April 2010, 11:38 AM
Happy to shoot over to Dunheved at whatever time, whether it be before or after your round.

Preferably after...:) Otherwise I'm heading over to Doonside anyways, so picking them up from your place won't be a hassle either.

3oneday
24th April 2010, 07:12 PM
Used one for 8 holes today, felt OK until a crow wanted it more than I did :(

Very easy to see, in fact if it were a Cally I'd keep using it ;)

Courty
24th April 2010, 07:38 PM
Tomson used one of his today. It was much easier to spot when plugged in mud patches than my normal Z-Star. :roll:

KristianJ
27th April 2010, 07:48 PM
Took 7 holes for me to lose one of these at Richmond yesterday. Not really all that different from the regular Z Stars besides the obvious. I think I've grown too fond of the tour i's to want to buy a full dozen though.

perci
28th April 2010, 06:31 AM
Nudgee used one at Brookwater Monday and yea their much easier to find in the scrub!

Jarro
28th April 2010, 06:34 AM
How durable was the cover perci ?

Did Gumby shred it to pieces with his flashy Tour wedges ??

perci
28th April 2010, 07:11 AM
Yea seemed pretty good,spun ok.

gazgolf1
28th April 2010, 07:33 AM
But is it as short as the white Z-Star?

3oneday
28th April 2010, 08:00 AM
I found it's distance the same as any high end pill.

adlo
28th April 2010, 08:15 AM
But is it as short as the white Z-Star?

You are the only person I ever heard say this Gaz.

Jarro
28th April 2010, 08:19 AM
I found it's distance the same as any high end pill.

That's the Z-Star right, not the Z-Star X ??

gazgolf1
28th April 2010, 11:46 AM
You are the only person I ever heard say this Gaz.

Seriously? I lost a heap of distance especially off the driver, picked it back up plus with the Penta. Don't get me wrong I'd love to play the "better ball", it scuffs less than the Penta, spins about the same but its so frickin short.
I did like the cover of the yellow one tho, maybe I'll try a yellowy.

henno
28th April 2010, 11:48 AM
No offence intended Gaz, but despite being a very handy golfer you're not exactly a long hitter. Perhaps the z-star doesn't suit those with a slower swingspeed?
This is an honest question. I'm just pondering out loud as to whether that's the reason you saw such a marked decrease in length?

PeteyD
28th April 2010, 11:48 AM
I'm with Gaz. Seemed shorter and with more sidespin on spastic hits. But I might have been having a crap day with the z-star.

gazgolf1
28th April 2010, 02:53 PM
No offence intended Gaz, but despite being a very handy golfer you're not exactly a long hitter. Perhaps the z-star doesn't suit those with a slower swingspeed?
This is an honest question. I'm just pondering out loud as to whether that's the reason you saw such a marked decrease in length?

That may be right henno, the big hitting Spanish bloke likes it.

Yossarian
28th April 2010, 03:04 PM
I am sorta with gaz on this one. The zstar is definitly a little shorter for me than the cally i tour. Bout the same as prov's and the like.

3oneday
28th April 2010, 03:11 PM
I am sorta with gaz on this one.
a weakling ?

;)

Yossarian
28th April 2010, 03:13 PM
I swing pretty quick ;) For me it isn't much the cally i tour just seems about 10m longer most of the time, so about 320m, and goes sideways less. I still love playing the zstar though.

gazgolf1
28th April 2010, 03:26 PM
a weakling ?

;)

shuddup you.

Jarro
28th April 2010, 05:16 PM
Well Gaz swings about as fast/hard as i do, and i've found the Z-Star to be the equal of the ProV1 now :)

As long as it's a shiny brand new one.

gazgolf1
28th April 2010, 06:07 PM
Well Gaz swings about as fast/hard as i do, and i've found the Z-Star to be the equal of the ProV1 now :)

As long as it's a shiny brand new one.

Maybe you're activating the 7th layer jarro. ;)

nudgee
28th April 2010, 06:47 PM
Gents,

I was actually quite surprised with the ball - bloody visible anywhere and we were always able to pick it when it went into the bushes (which was quite often). the yellow is kinda a pearly yellow. Length wise it is as long as anything I have hit, certainly out there with Pro V1X and pisses all over the new Cally balls which for some reason just dont seem to work for me. Bloody good feel off the putter face and nice spin. After 18 holes with one and numerous wedge shots, there was not a scuff mark on the ball.

Me likey a lot and will play it for a while.

The Penta was a big dissapointment for me as it was way shorter than any other ball but it has worked very well for Gaz as he has picked up a nice amount of extra length with it. they dont spin "much" and they scuff way too easily so no 5 layers for me thanks.

IanO
29th April 2010, 07:18 AM
I want to try these out, is $36 for 6 expensive?

henno
29th April 2010, 08:11 AM
is $36 for 6 expensive?

Yes.

I have 6 sleeves of the Tour Yellow (not X yet, I have a couple of dozen X that some says they are buying, standing by ;) ). $13 a sleeve plus postage.

Boonie
29th April 2010, 08:56 AM
Z Star went nowhere for me also. Shortest premium ball I have hit by an absolute mile!

I'd say it specifically doesn't suit some swing types. I'm 105mph, so decent swing speed, but I do tend to spin my driver too much - and this is much worse with the Z Star.

I'm working on lowering my spin at the moment, so will be interesting to see if the Z Star is any better for me once I've made some swing changes.

Not so keen on the yellow though - don't want people thinking I'm using a Vision ball!

sms316
29th April 2010, 01:42 PM
Gents,

I was actually quite surprised with the ball - bloody visible anywhere and we were always able to pick it when it went into the bushes (which was quite often). the yellow is kinda a pearly yellow. Length wise it is as long as anything I have hit, certainly out there with Pro V1X and pisses all over the new Cally balls which for some reason just dont seem to work for me. Bloody good feel off the putter face and nice spin. After 18 holes with one and numerous wedge shots, there was not a scuff mark on the ball.

Me likey a lot and will play it for a while.

The Penta was a big dissapointment for me as it was way shorter than any other ball but it has worked very well for Gaz as he has picked up a nice amount of extra length with it. they dont spin "much" and they scuff way too easily so no 5 layers for me thanks.
Poof! Why don't ya go all out and use a pink one on Monday?

Pegasus2357
29th April 2010, 03:41 PM
Z Star went nowhere for me also. Shortest premium ball I have hit by an absolute mile!

I'd say it specifically doesn't suit some swing types. I'm 105mph, so decent swing speed, but I do tend to spin my driver too much - and this is much worse with the Z Star.

I'm working on lowering my spin at the moment, so will be interesting to see if the Z Star is any better for me once I've made some swing changes.

Not so keen on the yellow though - don't want people thinking I'm using a Vision ball!

Boonie
As a Vision user I was going to bite, but thought better of it. You summed up your own dislike for this particular ball whether it be white or yellow.
Out of interest when was the last time you used a Vision Ball, because mate they have evolved an awful lot since the first model.

sms316
29th April 2010, 03:43 PM
Boonie
As a Vision user I was going to bite, but thought better of it. You summed up your own dislike for this particular ball whether it be white or yellow.
Out of interest when was the last time you used a Vision Ball, because mate they have evolved an awful lot since the first model.

Boz freely admits that his balls are not for the tour end of the market. By all accounts Boonie hits it as well as a lot of those guys so I'm not sure he would get much out of using one.

fredstar
29th April 2010, 03:59 PM
Used these Z-Star balls today at St Micks. I reckon they are great, not short at all as others have said. I found it easy to get used to and I like knowing which is your ball in the group, though I still managed to lose a couple. Will keep playing these for sure!

TheBoz_fromOz
29th April 2010, 04:52 PM
Hi SMS, yes thats right in regards to the retail stock balls but there have been further testing of the ProVision ball this
past 3 months in TPU urethane and both 3 and 4 piece structures. It won't be too long before I have a ball that will compete
against the other Premium balls, as they are not really a moving target.

As previously suggested they will sell at a sub $50 level, because I just don't see the point in having them played on any Tour
and as such there is a huge saving in promo expense which you as retail players usually end up paying for, Cheers, Boz.

Yossarian
29th April 2010, 04:54 PM
Looking forward to trying these srixon balls.

TourFit
30th April 2010, 09:55 AM
I'm looking forward to Boz's ProVision model (3 or 4 piece)...I'd DEFINATELY give them a go at under $50 each.

I've been impressed with the Xpert3 that I've tried, based on what type of ball it's competing against.

It's a hard job to try and break into the ball market, because balls are mainly about feel and function and individuals have specific likes and dislikes, as well as differing results...read this thread alone and see the variety of comments about ONE particular ball. Imagine if you add ALL the other similar type of competing balls into the mix.....

Kudos to Boz for all that he's done so far, and that he continues to do. IMO it's a tough gig for sure.

Daves
30th April 2010, 06:14 PM
I tried a Srixon Yellow today. No problem with length of the tee, it perhaps ballooned a bit, but hard to tell in the fresh afternoon sea breeze that was blowing. Similar feel to the UV X3 imo. I found the colour a bit washed out, harder to see than the Vision UVs. The cover stood up very well, not a mark on it that I could find.

grandmasterb
30th April 2010, 11:18 PM
Im looking forward to giving one a bash, certainly will help with these overcast days here in Tassie we are getting now.

gazgolf1
3rd May 2010, 08:29 PM
Well I gave a yellow a bash on Sunday and the distance was there compared to the Penta, not sure if its the yellow cover which seemed firmer than the white Z-Star. Not sure about the jizz factor but the couple of chips I did hit checked and released. To me it felt like it had less grab on short chips than the Penta. Not sure what others think about the difference between the yellow and white but to me the yellow cover seemed firmer.

TheBoz_fromOz
4th May 2010, 09:42 AM
Hi Gaz,
The introduction of the colour to the clear TPU slightly reduces the flexibility of the cover.

If you are a Zstar player after a few rounds it will feel normal but if you are coming from
a ProV1 or Penta the current TPU Urethane covers will always feel a bit clickier compared
to their RIM Urethane covers.

Its funny though if you play with any of these Premium balls long enough you will get used to the sound
and feel and it will become your normal.

Cheers,
Boz.

oncewasagolfer
5th May 2010, 10:36 AM
guessing that these might be getting a little scarce was watching some on ebay and they have gone from buy it now $147.99 for 3 dozen to $257.99 nearly fell out of my chair hehe:)

MegaWatty
5th May 2010, 10:52 AM
Ask Adlo how scarce they are. Our order is M.I.A!

oncewasagolfer
5th May 2010, 10:53 AM
Boz do you have a ball that doesn't go left? wouldn't worry me if it was pink as long as it found the fairway:) can't be my swing surely not.

TheBoz_fromOz
5th May 2010, 11:52 AM
They are scarce as Srixon didn't believe in them. They are now trying to rush through production for the US market
with no stock going any where else other than Japan. The other thing I would be careful about re bringing balls in
from the US is that there have been some reports on the other forums about an issue with the moulding of the recently
delivered stock where the dimples on the seam area are shallow.

Hi Once - we have a ball that will create a straighter hook/draw shot,,,,,and you can see it so much more clearly with
our advanced visibility technolgy which will both add to your confidence and enough green in the cover to cool you
down before taking on the tree line. :lol: Cheers, Boz.

oncewasagolfer
5th May 2010, 01:33 PM
Hi Once - we have a ball that will create a straighter hook/draw shot,,,,,and you can see it so much more clearly with
our advanced visibility technolgy which will both add to your confidence and enough green in the cover to cool you
down before taking on the tree line. :lol: Cheers, Boz.

thanks boz I will keep that in mind:)

adlo
15th May 2010, 09:41 PM
Ask Adlo how scarce they are. Our order is M.I.A!
Well, the second set they sent finally showed up......

I just received 6 dozen of these for the WAnker crew.

Had a round with one this morning. This ball is awesome, everything I could have expected. It is almost the same as a normal z star, but a touch firmer. Durability is still amazing. I would not describe the feel as clicky. It is similar to a Cally ball for feel, which is good as the Z star is on the softer side.

The ball performed just as a tour ball should. Spin seemed identical to the Z star for me. I spun one back 6' on the 8th with a full 8i into the green, and had 40-50m pitches stop and drop.

And.... they are just as easy to find as the the Vision balls. I hit some absolutely terrible tee shots today, that would be lost balls 90% of the time. With the Srixon Yellow I found it almost instantly.

Without trying to offend Boz, this is the ball I was hoping the UVX3 was going to be. I am convert.

Sorry WA boys, I think I had best keep the 6 dozen.....

mike
15th May 2010, 09:51 PM
3 things I'll never use;
An R9, a chipper, coloured golf balls and ... oh wait.
4 things I'll never use;
An R9, a chipper, coloured golf balls and a broomstick putter.

adlo
15th May 2010, 09:53 PM
Steady on there Mike

http://www.mbd2.com/forum/balloon_Animal_Blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/spanish_inquisition.jpg

mike
15th May 2010, 09:54 PM
Steady on there Mike

http://www.mbd2.com/forum/balloon_Animal_Blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/spanish_inquisition.jpg

Noooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Golfnut
16th May 2010, 02:43 AM
Well, the second set they sent finally showed up......

I just received 6 dozen of these for the WAnker crew.

Had a round with one this morning. This ball is awesome, everything I could have expected. It is almost the same as a normal z star, but a touch firmer. Durability is still amazing. I would not describe the feel as clicky. It is similar to a Cally ball for feel, which is good as the Z star is on the softer side.

The ball performed just as a tour ball should. Spin seemed identical to the Z star for me. I spun one back 6' on the 8th with a full 8i into the green, and had 40-50m pitches stop and drop.

And.... they are just as easy to find as the the Vision balls. I hit some absolutely terrible tee shots today, that would be lost balls 90% of the time. With the Srixon Yellow I found it almost instantly.

Without trying to offend Boz, this is the ball I was hoping the UVX3 was going to be. I am convert.

Sorry WA boys, I think I had best keep the 6 dozen.....

How'd you find it distance wise off the driver......same as the standard Z-star?
MW gave me one of the Vision Flouro Gel balls to try last week as an alternative to the Z-star for more distance.....yes it gave me added distance off the driver and 3w (10m) but came up well short off everything else (upto -10m and these were well struck shots). It was way to clicky for me too, felt yuk off the putter......really interested to see how the Yellow's play now.

Courty
16th May 2010, 05:44 AM
3 things I'll never use;
An R9, a chipper, coloured golf balls and ... oh wait.
4 things I'll never use;
An R9, a chipper, coloured golf balls and a broomstick putter.

Ooooooh, there's a ton of short jokes there... so tempted! :mrgreen:

adlo
16th May 2010, 11:37 AM
How'd you find it distance wise off the driver......same as the standard Z-star?
MW gave me one of the Vision Flouro Gel balls to try last week as an alternative to the Z-star for more distance.....yes it gave me added distance off the driver and 3w (10m) but came up well short off everything else (upto -10m and these were well struck shots). It was way to clicky for me too, felt yuk off the putter......really interested to see how the Yellow's play now.

That is funny GN, because I had similar results with the Vision.

The distance with the Yellow was the same as the normal Z star.

The only tour ball I have ever used that is consistently longer by about half a club is the TM LDP balls.

MegaWatty
16th May 2010, 11:44 AM
GN was using a stock UV. I'm guessing the reason it was longer with the driver and 3 wood was the reduction in side spin which was the main reason he shouldn't really be using Tour Grade balls.

The iron distances...no idea!

Horses for courses though. :)

adlo
16th May 2010, 12:01 PM
The Z star is generally pretty good off the driver.

I find balls like the Pro V a bit more susceptible to excess driver spin.

sms316
16th May 2010, 12:20 PM
Do they still make the Flying Lady?

TheBoz_fromOz
16th May 2010, 08:57 PM
Hi Ad, this will be good if Srixon can get right behind the use of the colour, I have not had a urethane ball to show
up till now and to be honest it hasn't been a huge priority because it is still hard for me to get the right retail return
for my current designs let alone a more expensive to produce full Tour type ball.

The Srixon balls though are opening the door in many markets to bright hi performance balls so maybe later in the
year it would be helpful to trial some different prototypes against the Tour Yellow Zstars balls if you are keen?

I am not sure about the iron distance info but like a lot of these things it would be great to see if it was a trend
or a one/two rounds and which ball was involved The UV (2008 or 2009 version) or X3UV prototypes or X3UVs
which are all a bit different like the other colours that are now in play and yes they are not mean't to have the
premium REAL SOFT putter feel in this group.

Talk more soon,
Boz.

adlo
16th May 2010, 09:14 PM
Good points Boz.

I am always happy to test proto balls. We PMd a few times about the UVX3. As I have said before, I was always keen to try and find a UV ball with good all round performance.

You can PM me whenever the need for test pilots arises.

Golfnut
16th May 2010, 10:35 PM
GN was using a stock UV. I'm guessing the reason it was longer with the driver and 3 wood was the reduction in side spin which was the main reason he shouldn't really be using Tour Grade balls.

The iron distances...no idea!

Horses for courses though. :)

I actually quite liked it off driver and 3w MW.......Iron feel was more than acceptable but losing upto 10m off them is a bit hard to swallow, it pretty much negated the extra distance achieved off the driver leaving me in virtually the same posi as with the Z-star. Good experiment though and thanks for the ball. The putting was the real decider though for me but I'd be happy to try any of the other balls from TheBoz and give feedback from a higher handicappers perspective that doesn't hit it overly long.

Golfnut
16th May 2010, 10:38 PM
That is funny GN, because I had similar results with the Vision.

The distance with the Yellow was the same as the normal Z star.

Yeah, I thought it was me at first getting the distances wrong off my Leupold but after a few holes it was pretty clear.

The only tour ball I have ever used that is consistently longer by about half a club is the TM LDP balls.

As these considered a lower spin ball Adz? Might pick up a dozen "TM Burner with LDP" from 3 balls and give them a go.

adlo
16th May 2010, 10:41 PM
Nope, I mean the Black and Red, and I don't think it is worth it GN. They tear up way too fast.

Golfnut
16th May 2010, 10:57 PM
Haha....compared to Z-stars just about every other ball out there tear up too fast.

TheBoz_fromOz
17th May 2010, 10:32 AM
Hi Ads, thanks for that, I will do when I have the balls in place,,,, :-)

Hi GN, ok that helps to understand where you ae coming from, I will be back in touch!

Cheers, Boz.

MegaWatty
18th May 2010, 12:14 AM
So here's the reverse in action:

I grabbed my box of Z-Stars from Ads today (refer the Textured Milk thread) and opened them up as soon as I got home.

Now as most of you know, I'm an X3 sorta guy, mainly in White and occasionally in Yellow. A mid firmness sort of ball with a mid amount of spin. I also understand that these are Tour balls.

God they feel SOFT!!! Perhaps too soft? I don't know. I've only been putting and chipping on the rug. Obviously the brain is the thing that decides when a ball feels good, bad, soft, hard, clicky or whatever and what is right or wrong.

I look forward to giving these a go, but isn't funny how the brain works. If I hit one of these at the pin and it spins back a few metres, you can go and stick them up your arse. I don't see the point off 10 being able to spin a ball backwards without doing it deliberately. I do hope that doesn't happen though.

Bring on the yellow revolution!!!

adlo
18th May 2010, 12:21 AM
I don't think they are that soft. Similar to the white X3, slightly spinnier.

If you don't like them, i'll grab them off you.

MegaWatty
18th May 2010, 12:40 AM
Heaps softer! I've got a very open mind though. Just depends on how much they spin.

You have dibs though. ;)

Golfnut
18th May 2010, 12:45 AM
2nd dibs here :D

MegaWatty
18th May 2010, 12:48 AM
2nd dibs here :D
You have serious ball issues!!!

I honestly don't know how you boys switch and change balls all the time. Don't you find the consistency and feel a problem?

TourFit
18th May 2010, 12:50 AM
MW...real men & real golfers spin it back 10 ft on purpose!!! :mrgreen:

I tried to like the X3 and just found it too hard and too clicky with not enouigh spin. But then I've played the softer tour type balls for 10yrs+. I can change from different brands WITHIN that same sort of category and not notice too much change. If I swap out of that category (like an X3, NXT or something like that) it just stuffs up the feel, especially the feel for distance control on putts & chips.

MegaWatty
18th May 2010, 12:54 AM
I'm hearing you Fit. But if you're going to spin it back ten feet to the pin, you got to call it first. Otherwise, it's just shennanigans. ;)

Golfnut
18th May 2010, 12:54 AM
I hear you MW, I'm not a fan of mucking around too much with balls (mind games) but before the Z-stars, I was a Z-URS mainly with the odd Nike 1 Plat thrown in but I am prepared to try anything once as long as it's a quality pill......having said that I just ordered some TM TP balls :roll:

TourFit
18th May 2010, 12:57 AM
I'm hearing you Fit. But if you're going to spin it back ten feet to the pin, you got to call it first. Otherwise, it's just shennanigans. ;)

I've based my whole game around those...they're also the only part I diligently practise!

Golfnut
18th May 2010, 12:59 AM
^^^Got any good drills Fit? :lol:

TourFit
18th May 2010, 01:24 AM
A Bosch 18V cordless...goes well.

Drills for what exactly GN ??? You've got / will have 3 kids....no need to learn shenanigans from me.

Honestly though, I think that a few of your ball choices are a little off. However, I DO think that the Burner LDP's are a better match. Other suggestions would be Wilson Fifty or Zip, Srixon AD 333, NXT Tour, Bridgestone E5 (or is it E6...I can't remember), or Cally HX Hot Bite. I just think that the tour level balls are helping to make worse your bad shots when they come....I'd say to you, for now, TO COMPROMISE. Get one each of those and practise putt and then rank them...practice chip and rank them, and then do some pitching and rank them. The one that wins in overall feel/predictability becomes your ball of choice (and 2nd place becomes the back-up/alternative). What you would essentially be doing is finding the best of those style of balls (without being the expensive tour level balls).

At least give it a go on course and see how it pans out...

idgolfguy
18th May 2010, 01:45 AM
Good advice there 'fit. It'll pay to heed the clubmaker.

MegaWatty
18th May 2010, 01:50 AM
Good advice there 'fit. It'll pay to heed the clubmaker.
Sounds very similar to the discussion around the table with a couple of beers at Collier. ;)

TourFit
18th May 2010, 11:33 AM
Well...I wasn't there, so I guess that says something !!!

Those premium pills aren't helping GN as much as he thinks...certainly NOT for any distance. I know he likes the softer feel for putting/short game but there are plenty of 2nd tier balls that have great feel too (I like the Zip, NXT Tour and the AD333). They won't cost the earth either, so losing them doesn't have the same demoralising effect !!! It's more to do with compression rates, and slightly reduced spin levels in order to help largely with those BAD SHOTS...

BTW...it's heed the clubmaker, THEN PAY...:)

Johnny Canuck
18th May 2010, 12:28 PM
Let Golfnut buy the premiums and lose them after one hit at Kennedy. I can use the one hit wonders.

TourFit
18th May 2010, 03:26 PM
You sure you're not part Scottish...?

Golfnut
18th May 2010, 11:24 PM
Honestly though, I think that a few of your ball choices are a little off. However, I DO think that the Burner LDP's are a better match. Other suggestions would be Wilson Fifty or Zip, Srixon AD 333, NXT Tour, Bridgestone E5 (or is it E6...I can't remember), or Cally HX Hot Bite. I just think that the tour level balls are helping to make worse your bad shots when they come....I'd say to you, for now, TO COMPROMISE. Get one each of those and practise putt and then rank them...practice chip and rank them, and then do some pitching and rank them. The one that wins in overall feel/predictability becomes your ball of choice (and 2nd place becomes the back-up/alternative). What you would essentially be doing is finding the best of those style of balls (without being the expensive tour level balls).

At least give it a go on course and see how it pans out...

Tried a few different balls out today:
Cally HX Hot - Rubbish!!! Like hitting a honki nut BUT......relaively long off the driver. Just felt terrible off everything else most of all short game shots. Not enough spin but was relatively straight.

Srixon AD-333 - Have used these in the past and didn't mind them.....distances were similar to Z-star.....good feel off the putter and wedges. No straighter than a Z-star though.

Precept Laddie X - This was the surprise of the day....have used one of these a long time ago, didn't think much of it but I don't think I was overly critical back then. This was very long off the driver, in fact, off everything!!!! Felt as good as the AD-333 for chipping and putting maybe even a touch softer. Not as much spin on long iron shots as the Z-star but short iron full shots stopped very well. Average drive was about 230m (+ or - 10m) today that all went pretty straight.

Haven't played an E6 in a while. Played these as my 2nd tier ball when the Z-URS was all the rage....I do remember it performing very well so might have to have another look at these.

I going to keep gaming the Laddie X this week and see how it goes but so far I'm impressed......mentally it will be hard to part from the Z-stars as they do everything I want them to do from inside 100m and as some of you know my short game is my strength so a ball change makes me a little nervous if it's going to mess with my short game.

TheBoz_fromOz
19th May 2010, 09:34 AM
Hi GN, you should also ask the boys if they have any Gel White balls because you are now on the right path
to finding a ball that will be helpful at this stage of your game development. Cheers, Boz.

MegaWatty
19th May 2010, 09:56 AM
I've got some. I might try to get one to Vic tomorrow to give to you at Secret Harbs.

Anyway, back to yellow balls. ;)

Golfnut
19th May 2010, 09:59 AM
Cheers MW.....so I guess that means your not a starter at SH then MW?

MegaWatty
19th May 2010, 10:15 AM
I've slipped to very long odds. :(

idgolfguy
19th May 2010, 10:16 AM
The Laddie X is a good all round ball that has been largely under the radar because its technology has not changed much. Club technology has changed which has been positive for this ball.

PeteyD
19th May 2010, 10:29 AM
Laddies are the low compression ones they released for guys that wouldn't play a ball with Lady on it?

I got a bunch of the B330 RX low swing speed ones cheap, and I am finding them quite playable.

TourFit
19th May 2010, 11:59 AM
B330 RX is 'low' swingspeeds when compared to the Tour B330 and B330S...it is for guys with under 105mph swings (quite a lot of people) who still want a tour level feel and short game spin rate but in a softer compression !!

PeteyD
19th May 2010, 12:01 PM
that would be why I bought them.

TheBoz_fromOz
19th May 2010, 12:41 PM
Hi Petey,,,:lol: , they certainly dropped the price on the first version which makes
them a bargain buy from where I stand, Cheers, Boz.

Jarro
19th May 2010, 01:14 PM
I had my first hit with the Tour Yellows today and was very impressed.

Initially i thought they looked very gimmicky, but soon i realised they were the real deal :)

Great spin around the greens and good distance off the tee .... :smt023

Eag's
19th May 2010, 02:37 PM
What he said^^^ I might put one of these in play the next comp round.
Mark, thanks for giving me those Yellows today mate :smt023

Veefore
19th May 2010, 03:09 PM
Interesting thread.

I used to always play with yellow balls when I first started because I am colour-blind and they were easier to see. Sometimes I even struggle to see the white balls on the fairway if there are a few leaves around.

The last few years I have been stuck on ProV1's or X's and quietly wished that they came in yellow.

I agree with those posters about the Laddies. I still love them and use them whenever the greens are cored and I don't need a spinnier ball though to be honest sometimes I think that I would be better off using them all the time. I would certainly get more consistent (always less) spin around the greens and be less likely to get those grabbers that happen occasionally with the ProV1 where the ball stops where it lands instead of rolling out a little.

Currently I am down to my last ProV1 and really need to make a decision which ball I am going to play through Pennants and Club Champs before I run out of time to get used to them. One of my friends is using the new TM Penta and raves about them. I'd like to switch to a cheaper ball but I think I might be a victim of marketing and feel like I "need" a premium ball when I probably don't.

TheBoz_fromOz
19th May 2010, 04:07 PM
See YELLOW / green can make a real performance difference to some players,, Cheers, Boz. :D

Jarro
19th May 2010, 04:40 PM
What he said^^^ I might put one of these in play the next comp round.
Mark, thanks for giving me those Yellows today mate :smt023

No worries mate 8)

They go alright don't they ?

MegaWatty
28th May 2010, 11:37 PM
I did a swapsie with 3OD has seen me end up with 9 Z-Star X's to try out. Already on the carpet, it feels a hundred times better than the stock standard that felt like jelly. Part of the trade was that I'd donate to Ozgolf, so another 5 bucks on the way.

sms316
29th May 2010, 06:52 AM
Ned pulled out one of these horrific looking pills yesterday. Terrible looking ball. Just awful.

They don't stand out as much as people make out either. Especially on kikuyu grass and from the bottom of the pond on the 17th.

virge666
29th May 2010, 12:45 PM
Ned pulled out one of these horrific looking pills yesterday. Terrible looking ball. Just awful.

They don't stand out as much as people make out either. Especially on kikuyu grass and from the bottom of the pond on the 17th.

There not that bad mate, we know your hatred of Srixon, let it go . . . more important fish to fry.

Personally - I just like something a bit "different" - good on them for trying.

Jarro
29th May 2010, 12:50 PM
They really are a good ball... plenty of spin and distance.

Anyone that doesn't like 'em is a nuffy :p

sms316
29th May 2010, 01:04 PM
There not that bad mate, we know your hatred of Srixon, let it go . . . more important fish to fry.

Personally - I just like something a bit "different" - good on them for trying.
Not Srixon so much as coloured golf balls. They belong at Putt-Putt.

IanO
29th May 2010, 03:03 PM
I tried the Srixon Yellow today and like them. I don't get as much spin as the Pro V1 but the distance is fine and they didn't mark too much. I think I can even get a 2nd round out of the one I was using today.

adlo
29th May 2010, 03:20 PM
I have a 36 hole ball that is still as good as new. Good old Z stars.....

However, I felt as though there was a bit of distance loss as the ball aged towards the end of 36.

I had a chip off with the Yellows today against a pro v and a TM TP Red ball, and the yellow Z stars were just as spinny for me.

TheBoz_fromOz
29th May 2010, 04:38 PM
Hi Ads, yes most balls will start to drop off during the 2 and 3 round but this will mainly be seen in your Driver distance
as that is the one club that gets hit at your higher swingspeeds and where the core comes into full play. That is why
the AA (second tier) grade of 2nd hand Tour balls are really only ok to use for social games but nothing important. Boz

adlo
29th May 2010, 04:41 PM
Hi Ads, yes most balls will start to drop off during the 2 and 3 round but this will mainly be seen in your Driver distance
as that is the one club that gets hit at your higher swingspeeds and where the core comes into full play. That is why
the AA (second tier) grade of 2nd hand Tour balls are really only ok to use for social games but nothing important. Boz

Curious.....

I found about 1/2 club in the mid irons and at least a full 10m off the driver.

I was wondering why. I am not sure if you remember, but I had similar issues with the UVX3 proto you sent me. You mentioned it might have been something with the cover.

Oh well, I'll throw a new one into play tomorrow then. Cheers Boz.

henno
29th May 2010, 05:48 PM
I am wondering if it's a small reduction in aerodynamics. Sure, the ball looks good, but the slick coating might be wearing just enough to have it catch the air a bit more.

adlo
29th May 2010, 06:37 PM
It makes sense Henno.

However, I have noticed it more with the clear covered balls (Vision and Z star Yellow) compared with normal pills.

Veefore
29th May 2010, 06:44 PM
Most materials work harden with constant compression and release. My guess would be that the molecular bonds in the core and mantle materials break down and lose their resilience and elasticity. Grab any piece of plastic and bend it back and forth and eventually it will harden and become more brittle until it snaps.
Just my opinion anyway. I don't really have any other ideas.

Oh, and I am going to try a Srixon tomorrow at SH. I have been using the ProV1's for the last year so it should be an interesting trial. I also have a Penta to try.

TheBoz_fromOz
30th May 2010, 07:06 PM
Hi Ads, Henno is partially correct as they are very slick to start with but for that sort of consistant reduction Vee is on the money.

The clear type balls tend to lend themselves to be played for more holes in general because they still look good
to go but I would think you like me would not really take a painted tour ball into a full 36 holes or more in a row
and as such you are consistant enough in your play to see a reduction in speed of the balls. I don't think it is any
more pronounced than other balls except maybe the 100 compression Tour balls which take a bit more of a hiding.

A trial with a Zstar white might be interesting, it is a 90 compression set-up the Zstar X is 100 in ball hardness terms?
The X3 is 85 but plays a bit more like 90 because of the outer cover being a bit firmer than the Tour balls.

I can tell you that there is way to improve on this reduction in flex memory and that is to replace the polybutadiene
(Rubber) core with a polymer (Soft Plastic ) core. We trialled this late last year and Bridgestone are using it in some
of the Tour balls to good effect.

Cheers, Boz.

Ned
19th July 2010, 11:53 PM
http://img.timeinc.net/golf/i/equipment/2010/07/Koumei-Oda-Ornage-Srixon_600x450.jpg

MegaWatty
20th July 2010, 12:00 AM
Really?

Johnny Canuck
20th July 2010, 12:01 AM
nice!

mike
20th July 2010, 12:04 AM
I'm confused

MegaWatty
20th July 2010, 12:05 AM
I'm confused

But why?

Veefore
20th July 2010, 09:16 AM
veeman has got a srixon z star yellow that he won at Secret Harbour that has now done at least 7 rounds or so.

3oneday
20th July 2010, 10:17 AM
I heard one of the commentators during the British Open saying it didn't seem right that someone was using a coloured ball, that it would look too big and all sorts of dribble !

oncewasagolfer
20th July 2010, 11:04 AM
who was the player using the coloured ball during the open? I remember seeing someone using one just cant remember who it was. I think I should start using them with so much long wet grass atm and my inaccurate driving I am having trouble finding the white balls.

3oneday
20th July 2010, 11:05 AM
A chinese or korean player I think, didn't see the name though.

KristianJ
20th July 2010, 12:12 PM
Koumei Oda:

http://www.golf.com/golf/gallery/article/0,28242,2003129-12,00.html

3oneday
20th July 2010, 12:19 PM
Or the other unpronounceable guy ? http://www.golf.com/golf/gallery/article/0,28242,2003129-13,00.html