PDA

View Full Version : Out of the ordinary Friday arvo

Bushka
12th April 2010, 12:01 PM
Was practicing my short game on a friday arvo after work last week and chatting with the pro and some of the boys from the shop when he suggested we load up into carts and cruise through 5 holes.

We head out and play 2 and then he pulls out some ancient hickory shafted mashee niblick thing and we proceed to play 3 holes using it for all shots in a 2 on 2 team event.

I can only say I have a profound respect for the abilities of guys like Bobby Jones and co.

You couldn't hit this thing anyway but flush and have any kind of result. Even the young guy who plays off +4 and drives it forever had to slow down and just nail it to get any kind of distance (went about 150).

Was a really enjoyable golfing experience, playing with some really talented guys using this unique club.

Anyone else had occasion to play with these things?

sms316
12th April 2010, 03:07 PM
I would imagine Razaar had a full set when he was a junior.

:mrgreen:

Bushka
12th April 2010, 03:31 PM
zing

razaar
12th April 2010, 04:02 PM
I would imagine Razaar had a full set when he was a junior.

:mrgreen:

Have got a couple Shaun, even got one for you (Sid Bennett's 1930's lefties). These irons had to be hit just inside the hosel and of course the balls were 1.62inches in dia. In fact most of the irons pre muscle back and cavity back, had the sweet spot just inside the hosel.

Players these days can buy a golf game compared to when I learnt.

idgolfguy
13th April 2010, 01:29 AM
Most these days aren't used to hitting a pure shot with a less forgiving club. Interesting that regardless of technology, the standard distribution of handicaps hasn't changed.

Bushka
13th April 2010, 11:23 AM
Yeah i found the fact that it had no sole really, just a thin blade of metal meant you had to hit it clean as a whistle.

idgolfguy
13th April 2010, 11:26 AM
Playing less forgiving clubs hasn't affected my hc. I am a netter player for it though,

Yossarian
13th April 2010, 06:33 PM
Most these days aren't used to hitting a pure shot with a less forgiving club. Interesting that regardless of technology, the standard distribution of handicaps hasn't changed.

I thought it had come in a shot?

razaar
13th April 2010, 06:43 PM
The maximum handicap in the mid 60's was 24; now it is 36 with the u-beaut technology.

Yossarian
13th April 2010, 08:41 PM
Everything was better in my day!