PDA

View Full Version : My new irons

mike
28th May 2004, 08:19 AM
I've been playing golf for about 4½ years and have ( sort of ) worked out the driving, chipping and putting side of the game. But I've always struggled with my iron play. I rarely have a birdie putt and just about every par I get is the result of a good short game.
My best ever score is a 78 on a par 72 course. On that day I only hit 3 GIR.
Last week I took delivery of a set of Ben Hogan CFTs. I took them to the driving range. Mmmmm nice. Different feel altogether with the forged head. Or was it the sound that was different . Anyway they're a sweet club.
Yesterday I took them for a round at Half Moon Bay. Hit the first 2 greens in regulation. No big deal , they'ye just a drive and a pitch. It was the next SEVEN greens I got onto in regulation that made me wonder what I've been missing all this time.
I have NEVER hit 9 out of 9 before. I know this is only just one round, and I realise my iron problem is more than likely a technique issue, but is it possible for a new set of irons to transform one's game ?

Got the first round of my club match play on sunday. See how I go then. If I don't hit the irons good...I'll have to blame something else. :?

McMw
28th May 2004, 08:58 AM
what were the old irons?

Fishman Dan
28th May 2004, 09:03 AM
Hope that keeps up - but not what i wanted to read seeing as though i can't hit the ball at all cleanly at the moment. Fair to say that i'm not getting on with my irons at the moment.

If i might attempt to burst your bubble - but with the new clubs you might have just relaxed a little more and swung more freely, which is a good thing!! Just get out there this weekend and do the same thing!! If you make 50% GIR's in match play you'll be hard to beat!

Jarro
28th May 2004, 09:04 AM
nice shootin mike 8)

you sure it wasn't just the change of gear that made you feel more motivated/comfortable .... sometimes a new club/clubs will do that to ya :D

it's called the "honeymoon period" :P

mike
28th May 2004, 09:24 AM
you sure it wasn't just the change of gear that made you feel more motivated/comfortable .... sometimes a new club/clubs will do that to ya :D

Perhaps...I just hope this form keeps going
"Fishman Dan"]
If you make 50% GIR's in match play you'll be hard to beat!

That's the plan, Dan :wink:

what were the old irons?

Have had Palmer irons ( cheap 1st set) with reg steel.
Silver Diamond ( X-14 copies ) with reg graphite . Yuk.
Titleist DCIs with stiff steel. Fell in love with the brand, not the club.
None come close to the Hogans. I hit the best long iron shots I have ever hit yesterday.

Now it looks like I've gotta get a Hogan putter, Hogan wedge, Hogan glove and Hogan jocks. :D

McMw
28th May 2004, 09:27 AM
yes, Hogan Irons are SWEET!!!

not so sure abt the jocks tho... :shock:

Onewood
28th May 2004, 06:18 PM
I've been playing golf for about 4½ years and have ( sort of ) worked out the driving, chipping and putting side of the game. But I've always struggled with my iron play. I rarely have a birdie putt and just about every par I get is the result of a good short game.
My best ever score is a 78 on a par 72 course. On that day I only hit 3 GIR.
Last week I took delivery of a set of Ben Hogan CFTs. I took them to the driving range. Mmmmm nice. Different feel altogether with the forged head. Or was it the sound that was different . Anyway they're a sweet club.
Yesterday I took them for a round at Half Moon Bay. Hit the first 2 greens in regulation. No big deal , they'ye just a drive and a pitch. It was the next SEVEN greens I got onto in regulation that made me wonder what I've been missing all this time.
I have NEVER hit 9 out of 9 before. I know this is only just one round, and I realise my iron problem is more than likely a technique issue, but is it possible for a new set of irons to transform one's game ?

Got the first round of my club match play on sunday. See how I go then. If I don't hit the irons good...I'll have to blame something else. :?

Welcome you HO :wink: :wink:

9 greens :shock: :shock: what did you score :D

mike
28th May 2004, 08:54 PM
9 greens :shock: :shock: what did you score :D

One over for the front nine at Half Moon Bay. A one putt and two 3 putts :evil:

jaster
28th May 2004, 09:55 PM
That is some great playing!!! I have hit 8/9 a few times and 9 in a row in the middle of a round but I never for 1 9. Great playing mate!!! 8)

Courty
31st May 2004, 10:26 PM
One over for the front nine at Half Moon Bay. A one putt and two 3 putts :evil:

You should have brought them to the Skytrans Matchplay :? :roll: :wink:

mike
1st June 2004, 08:03 PM
You should have brought them to the Skytrans Matchplay :? :roll: :wink:

ouch