PDA

View Full Version : History of Australian Handicap System.

markTHEblake
10th April 2010, 12:49 AM
Was chatting with one of the older golfers tonight about the new system. He mentioned that when he first started playing in the 60's the handicap was based on "5 best scores" and he couldnt recall when it changed to the system we just had.

But it sounds like it was very similar to what we have moved to now, and that seems interesting.

All I know is that its being the same since I began playing in 1980, and never heard of anything different. I wished I had of asked Dad, he would have known all about that, having played and being Captain/committee through the 50's and 60's.

Anyone have any memory of the older systems? Am sure Boz snr would know, and Raz might remember too.

sms316
10th April 2010, 06:46 AM
I read an article the other day which suggested that a past generation use to play off full handicaps for stroke rounds and 3/4 handicap for stableford/par. It wasn't that long ago either.

Andrew
10th April 2010, 08:12 AM
I read an article the other day which suggested that a past generation use to play off full handicaps for stroke rounds and 3/4 handicap for stableford/par. It wasn't that long ago either.

I've played 3/4 handicap events, especially when I was at Campbelltown. I was on the committee at the time & we used them to allow lower handicap golfers a chance at winning the overall event for the day. We would play a 3/4 handicap event about once every 6 to 8 weeks.

bergsey
10th April 2010, 09:24 AM
Someone mentioned to me that in the UK stableford rounds are still played at 3/4 handicap. Full handicap only used for strokeplay

markTHEblake
10th April 2010, 08:50 PM

That was definitely the norm up to about 1980 to use 3/4's and 7/8's handicaps, and also for 4BBB and handicap matchplay. The scorecards from when i first began playing often had the index for one or both of those fractions on it.

Tongueboy
11th April 2010, 10:31 AM
yep i am old! i played the 3/4 index.

markTHEblake
11th April 2010, 11:14 PM
This site has an excellent history of handicapping in the USA http://www.popeofslope.com/history/index.html
simply, handicaps were originally a 1st tee agreemement, then over the next 100 years
- average best 3 of the current season and previous,
- average best 10 of 15, or 10 of 25, (there was no unified national handicap system)
- the final decision of 10 of 20 was a compromise.

One of my golf mates said he has this massive AGU golf book from the 60's he is going to let me have a look at it, but he doesnt remember any different handicapping system to what we have had up till now.