PDA

View Full Version : How important is lag?

Scottt
9th April 2010, 05:12 PM
I hope I have correctly identified what I am referring to. I believe it's called lag - keeping the angle between the shaft and my arms late into the downswing by not unhinging my wrists too early.

This:

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/1241950_f248.jpg

I have been working on that a bit and feeling more powerful and purposeful in my swing.

So my question is how important is it to a good golf swing.

Secondly, is a lack of lag (early unhinging of wrists) basically the reason for flipping?

sms316
9th April 2010, 07:34 PM
Dunno. That's why I pay a guy to teach me.

virge666
9th April 2010, 07:39 PM

Secondly, is a lack of lag (early unhinging of wrists) basically the reason for flipping?

Q1 . . . VERY FRIGGING IMPORTANT

Q2 . . . No. Incorrect lower body rotation is usually the reason for flipping.

Try a few shots without un hinging the wrists at all if you want to feel what real lag is...

Scottt
9th April 2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks Virge,

Can you suggest a good lag drill for me?

TheNuclearOne
9th April 2010, 07:52 PM
Ben Doyle has many sayings about this. If asked "Can you have too much lag?" his answer is often "Can you have too much love? Can a boat be too buoyant?"

razaar
10th April 2010, 11:08 AM
In your swing Scottty you need a firm left leg, a short backswing, soft arms and keep the centre of your chest behind the ball (on all normal shots). Lag is the main power source...a good thought is to get the hands at impact in front of an imaginary line between the ball and the centre of the chest.

Bushka
12th April 2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks Virge,

Can you suggest a good lag drill for me?

Yeah like Scottt said, suggest things thanks those of us who are practice afflicted are keen to go spend time doing things.

virge666
12th April 2010, 12:20 PM
OK,

Bushy - you are up for the Range on Thursday - I will show you some drills and then we can both work out an un-techo way to tell it to the forum.

Can you bring a full size towel with you please.

kpac
12th April 2010, 12:27 PM
OK,

Bushy - you are up for the Range on Thursday - I will show you some drills and then we can both work out an un-techo way to tell it to the forum.

That sounds disgusting!

You say it's important Virge? Why so. I agree there basically HAS to be some 'lag' but i wouldn't have thought it 'important' to have a lot of it. If you want more power it may be something to assist, but i've been told i have very little lag, what am i missing out on other than a few metre... My logic tells me more lag would increase variation in shots, something i'm not prepared to trade for distance.

Bushka
12th April 2010, 01:43 PM
OK,

Sure can mate, will be there have clearance with mission control as well. Might bring my brother along and maybe one other mate who was very keen on that shaft in the mt460 on Sunday.

idgolfguy
13th April 2010, 09:18 AM
The towel is probably so that the knees don't get too many grass stains!

More lag, more stored energy on the downswing that can be transferred through the ball. Lag is a function of club speed, shaft length, and club travel prior to impact. The impact of lag is more than a few metres.

The TGM methodology talks about lag and compression. Drill is to maintain flat left wrist during chipping and pitching using a late release. Hands shouldn't go past 8 o'clock on back swing to focus right wrist **** on impact.
Clampett and Doyle are both TGM.

kpac
13th April 2010, 10:54 AM
hmm for a few metres - trying to consistently encourage a late release of hands would seem a like a reduction in margin for error. I'd expect realistically a talent that'd be advised for scratch golfers.

razaar
13th April 2010, 11:26 AM
That sounds disgusting!

You say it's important Virge? Why so. I agree there basically HAS to be some 'lag' but i wouldn't have thought it 'important' to have a lot of it. If you want more power it may be something to assist, but i've been told i have very little lag, what am i missing out on other than a few metre... My logic tells me more lag would increase variation in shots, something i'm not prepared to trade for distance.
Kent

More lag would only apply to those golfers who release the clubhead early and reach their maximum speed before impact. Timing is all about reaching maximum clubhead speed at impact because the collision with the ball pushes the clubhead backward whilst the ball is still on the face. Clubhead speed has little value once the ball has gone.

kpac
13th April 2010, 11:59 AM
Ray - the way i saw it, the swing has two major "hinges", arms and wrists, complicating the movement of either of these 'should' impact of 'control / consistancy' I'm probably well wrong - however that's just my logic.

Moe Norman
13th April 2010, 12:27 PM
agree with you Kent, if the only benefit of lag is more distance, is it worth having more lag at the expense of control?

razaar
13th April 2010, 12:39 PM
Ray - the way i saw it, the swing has two major "hinges", arms and wrists, complicating the movement of either of these 'should' impact of 'control / consistancy' I'm probably well wrong - however that's just my logic.
There are actually three hinges - arm/shoulder, wrist and club shaft. The club shaft hinge is it's flex which is directly linked to lag in full shots. The golf swing happens so fast that thinking of lag during a swing may upset the timing and tempo of the swing. Too much lag and the face will be left open, too little and the face will be closed through impact.

virge666
13th April 2010, 12:43 PM
What if I said lag was control ?

What if I said - the more you correctly lag the club, the more accurate and the smaller your misses would be ?

How about if I said that the more you lag the club - the less you have to use other parts of the body to get the same power. Less moving parts - more control.

Lag is the single most important thing is a golf swing and is the reason a lot of golfers cant get to single figures - it is also the reason why once a golfer learns how to lag the club, they can stay in single figures for most of their life, well into their 60's.

Lag is both Control and Power, without it - you are just spinning.

razaar
13th April 2010, 01:19 PM
http://au.biz.yahoo.com/100412/27/2ca29.html and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbd3hqj6vEo&feature=related

idgolfguy
13th April 2010, 01:23 PM
Spot on Virge!
Lag is not forced nor is it controlled. It happens automatically. We learn to let it happen and try not to create it.

kpac
13th April 2010, 01:28 PM
What if I said lag was control ?

This defies my current logic (that doesn't mean i don't believe you!)

What if I said - the more you correctly lag the club, the more accurate and the smaller your misses would be ?

As above

How about if I said that the more you lag the club - the less you have to use other parts of the body to get the same power. Less moving parts - more control.

In theory less moving part may = more control;
However;
If the 1 'major' moving part has very little room for error - i'd prefer 3 controllable moving parts to 1 uncontrollable...

Lag is the single most important thing is a golf swing and is the reason a lot of golfers cant get to single figures - it is also the reason why once a golfer learns how to lag the club, they can stay in single figures for most of their life, well into their 60's.

Lag is both Control and Power, without it - you are just spinning.

This maybe so - i cant say i can figure it out tho. Until i can grasp the logic of it, i'll continue to maintain that i believe it's for scratch markers more so than your mid handicapper.

Daves
13th April 2010, 01:28 PM
http://au.biz.yahoo.com/100412/27/2ca29.html

Fiscal Lag vs Physical Lag eh Ray!?

idgolfguy
13th April 2010, 01:32 PM
I hope I have correctly identified what I am referring to. I believe it's called lag - keeping the angle between the shaft and my arms late into the downswing by not unhinging my wrists too early.

This:

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/1241950_f248.jpg

I have been working on that a bit and feeling more powerful and purposeful in my swing.

I take it that you have read his stuff on his site?

chappy1970
13th April 2010, 02:22 PM
That JB Holmes vid was fantasic, I have been very inconsistent recently and one thing I focused on my last round was really extending the club through at impact. This has helped me find fairways and agreens as well as a few extra yards

virge666
13th April 2010, 02:24 PM
2 minutes and 10 seconds has the secret of lag.

Some techo people call it a Kinetic chain.

"Lag" is just the clubhead "lagging" the hands... the rest of it is just rhythm. The hard bit is learning the rhythm,

Yossarian
13th April 2010, 03:02 PM
Rhythm, there is some sort of joke about white people and lack thereof here.

Scottt
13th April 2010, 03:43 PM
I take it that you have read his stuff on his site?

The guy in the pic? No. I just googled "golf swing lag" and went to images to get a pic of what I was trying to describe.

idgolfguy
13th April 2010, 03:48 PM
Google Sevam1

Scottt
13th April 2010, 09:26 PM
Thanks, I'll have a look.

I tried to add some serious lag during my round the other day and found myself hitting everything right. Not slicing, just putting it straight over mid-off

It felt pure and really felt like I was compressing the ball well and the ballflight and distance were great, but just a case of timing and moving other parts of my body to fit, I think. fit

idgolfguy
13th April 2010, 09:37 PM
Virge will probably sort it. I don't know enough to give advice. I've been practising hitting and swinging. Works better when I use a swinger's action.

Bushka
14th April 2010, 06:49 AM
I'll find out for you tommorrow night. Meeting virge at Narrabeen driving range with a full sized towel....

matty
14th April 2010, 07:21 AM
The one thing I know about lag is that the more lag you have the more distance, if thats important to you. Obviously the rest of the swing has to fit in properly with the lag.

During a recent televised round of some golf comp they showed the angle between the club shaft and the arms about halfway through the downswing. The longer the hitter the bigger the angle. The shorter the hitter the less the angle. It was one aspect of the golf swing that was so obvious to see.

virge666
15th April 2010, 09:42 PM
All right lads - Now ask Bushy how important lag is...

:)

Even better - lets see how long he stays on 22 now that he has an idea about it...

Bushka
16th April 2010, 08:12 AM
Totally blew my mind last night.

First time I have ever really applied lag to my swing and the results just ....freaked me the hell out lol.

When I hit the ball with compression from lagging the club head on my 8 iron my bad shots were still good and my distance with maybe half the apparent effort of my former full blown swing was longer and straighter.

Ball flight was better, consistency was better swing was easier. I have some drills down to really get into it and I'm so freaking eager to get stuck in :)

I thought I could lag the club head prior to this but I was really just all arms.

So amazed by how easy the distance came after having to overpower the damn ball every time I belted it previously.

grandmasterb
16th April 2010, 10:13 AM
Totally blew my mind last night.

First time I have ever really applied lag to my swing and the results just ....freaked me the hell out lol.

When I hit the ball with compression from lagging the club head on my 8 iron my bad shots were still good and my distance with maybe half the apparent effort of my former full blown swing was longer and straighter.

Ball flight was better, consistency was better swing was easier. I have some drills down to really get into it and I'm so freaking eager to get stuck in :)

I thought I could lag the club head prior to this but I was really just all arms.

So amazed by how easy the distance came after having to overpower the damn ball every time I belted it previously.

Well dont be shy, share the love with those drills!!!

chappy1970
16th April 2010, 10:23 AM
I agree GMB, share the love Bushy

Bushka
16th April 2010, 11:03 AM
These are all with 8 iron or a wedge.

I had my pointer finger and thumb from my right hand off the club altogether making me do the work with my left hand/wrist and really just helping to support the weight of the club with my right.

First thing we worked on was clearing my left hip which i find very difficult. 8 iron feet close together just taking the club back to about hip height putting the angle on it, letting it load there and starting to clear my left hip by rotating it left rather than by straightening my left leg which is what I had been doing. I find this very difficult because i've ingrained that through practicing bad habits but anyway I digress.

Once i have that position loaded and i start moving my hip left, virge had me really concentrate on compressing the ball. Getting my right shoulder through and the back of my hand facing the target line at impact. Not lifting up with my left side but compressing down and through getting the feeling of maintaining the angle in my left wrist and having my hands ahead of the ball at impact.

I am sure i'm describing it all wrong, it was definitely more about feeling than that but in my head that's where it was at.

I also then tried to use a 52 gap wedge and hit it about 5 feet off the ground for fifty metres as a way to instill that lag into my swing. The idea behind it being that to hit a club like that with that kind of loft that trajectory my hands have to be well ahead of the ball.

Another drill that was really good was stopping the club head within a foot of the impact position, hitting down on the ball and letting the compression produce the ball flight.

Terrible descriptions :) I know how the drills felt but not the best way of getting it across. Hopefully Virge can tidy it up.

By having my hands ahead i guess i just mean not behind and lifting the ball up.

just
16th April 2010, 11:06 AM
So essentially it wasn't just about lag.

Bushka
16th April 2010, 11:33 AM
It was lag Jim but not as we know it....

Of course my swing wasn't that pretty prior to this so Virge changed stuff around but the lag was the defining thing I took away from last night.

Maybe it is just that I'm describing things poorly.

As Virge told it, Up until now I have been "guiding or aiming the club head". The simple finger and thumb off from the right hand was one thing that made me realise how much i guide rather than swing. It's just got to the point with the amount of repetition and practice I put in that I could pass that off as a good swing because I'm scoring better on the course.

Hitting it with lag I stopped aiming and guiding and began to swing a lot more naturally. I was able to hit with less effort to produce better results. The angle of my wrists freaked me out a fair bit, I changed that as well.

Essentially it was about lag, but to get the lag i have to change quiet a few things.

I.E For some reason, I have instilled in my head as my primary swing thought that i have to have my right elbow into my right side at all times during my golf swing. Go watch the last swing vid in my swing thread and you'll see what i mean. I had obviously taken a teaching idea to an extreme because it was making it hard to swing naturally. We worked out eventually that this was occurring and i stopped focusing on this and let my elbow swing with me more naturally and the results were fantastic. It then let me set the club on an angle with a lot more ease. Let me lag the club with more ease, and let me hit it easier.

I was hitting 8 irons 140 mtrs before, but i wasn't doing it as as easily and I didn't feel like it was with great control.

When i did this last night I could get the same result again and again and again which for a 22 handicapper is pretty awesome. I swung it two completely different ways to get that result.

Bushka
16th April 2010, 03:07 PM
Hit a couple of hundred balls this arvo.

Made out like a pile of poop tickets. I kept at it, and had some good results but it really is going to be a work in progress for a while yet.

Still it's nice to have the work in front of me and have a clue as to where it is I want to go.

TheNuclearOne
16th April 2010, 07:54 PM
I had my pointer finger and thumb from my right hand off the club altogether making me do the work with my left hand/wrist and really just helping to support the weight of the club with my right.

Unreal, i just watched the same drill from Brian Manzella two days ago. Keep up the good work you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNnpmi8ZkpA

virge666
16th April 2010, 08:07 PM
Unreal, i just watched the same drill from Brian Manzella two days ago. Keep up the good work you guys.

Hey Bushy,

55 seconds in - what does Brian do with his left wrist and lower body... (yeah - i thought you would like that)

The drill is an old Hogan drill - you can see video of him doing it everywhere. Take your normal grip and then just turn your thumb and forefinger into a "finger gun" gripping with you middle two fingers only. Keep you thumb and forefinger off the grip... now swing as your would normally.

All i taught Bushy was lag - that was it... all the other stuff with elbows and hips comes from him trying to lag the club more and more... TGM call it educating the hands - when really what you are doing is getting your hands to do SFA, just hold the club and let the angles do the work. It really is a piece of piss to understand - but it is rather hard to stop the right hand trying to help out.

And when you do it - you will end up like Bushy, you will get it and hit a few shots beautifully, then your brain will go . . . "If I can hit it that far and that well without any effort - Why don't I put a bit of effort into it . . ." And then your screwed again. (In the middle of the evening, when it clicked, he would have had the 8i past 160m with 3/4 swing, I shit you not, he is a big lad and when the he uses his 9 foot tall frame properly... it is quite scary)

It is a sensational game - really it is.

TheNuclearOne
16th April 2010, 08:14 PM
One of the early TGM stalwarts , Greg Mchatton has one of the most lag filled ridiculously easy swings i have ever seen. It's unreal. One of the great coaches barely a soul in here (or most anywhere else) would have heard of. Have a go at this for easy and sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA-OznBIPXc

virge666
16th April 2010, 09:41 PM
One of the early TGM stalwarts , Greg Mchatton has one of the most lag filled ridiculously easy swings i have ever seen. It's unreal. One of the great coaches barely a soul in here (or most anywhere else) would have heard of. Have a go at this for easy and sweet.

It is nice to be sure... but ther is way too much spine angle at impact which is why it looks like he has so much lag. If you straighten him up - the lag is more in line with other good players

Not having a dig . . . but he is not covering the ball which is the modern preference.

TheNuclearOne
16th April 2010, 10:44 PM
No worries Virge i can see your point. From memory he won a Junior U.S. Amateur in the 60's so he'd definitely be old school in some ways. He's trained a lot of coaches and believes in swinging as it's easier. I used to have a couple of his tapes and he had some really unique drills and instructions. He hits it a mile and does it so easy. Look at the position (in stills) he gets his hands in pre impact, already forward of the ball.

http://3jack.blogspot.com/2009/07/greg-mchatton-golf-swing.html

Bushka
17th April 2010, 08:50 AM
Hey Bushy,

55 seconds in - what does Brian do with his left wrist and lower body... (yeah - i thought you would like that)

The drill is an old Hogan drill - you can see video of him doing it everywhere. Take your normal grip and then just turn your thumb and forefinger into a "finger gun" gripping with you middle two fingers only. Keep you thumb and forefinger off the grip... now swing as your would normally.

All i taught Bushy was lag - that was it... all the other stuff with elbows and hips comes from him trying to lag the club more and more... TGM call it educating the hands - when really what you are doing is getting your hands to do SFA, just hold the club and let the angles do the work. It really is a piece of piss to understand - but it is rather hard to stop the right hand trying to help out.

And when you do it - you will end up like Bushy, you will get it and hit a few shots beautifully, then your brain will go . . . "If I can hit it that far and that well without any effort - Why don't I put a bit of effort into it . . ." And then your screwed again. (In the middle of the evening, when it clicked, he would have had the 8i past 160m with 3/4 swing, I shit you not, he is a big lad and when the he uses his 9 foot tall frame properly... it is quite scary)

It is a sensational game - really it is.

Hah i just watched that. At the 55 second mark i saw his left wrist bow out and take that shape i have been trying to work on.

You are dead on about the exerting more pressure as well. If i hit cleanly and with good tempo i get better results, hitting it with a bigger hammer is not working.

virge666
17th April 2010, 09:28 PM
No worries Virge i can see your point. From memory he won a Junior U.S. Amateur in the 60's so he'd definitely be old school in some ways. He's trained a lot of coaches and believes in swinging as it's easier. I used to have a couple of his tapes and he had some really unique drills and instructions. He hits it a mile and does it so easy. Look at the position (in stills) he gets his hands in pre impact, already forward of the ball.

http://3jack.blogspot.com/2009/07/greg-mchatton-golf-swing.html

Wasn't he one of the 7 or 8 of Homer's disciples ?

Of the TGM instructors . . I do prefer the swings of Lynn Blake and Chuck Evans. The trouble is that single 2 feet of the takeaway where they move all over their right foot and that gives them the "late hit, superlag" look. I like how Chuck and Lynn have moved their players over the ball and re defined that "extensior action" on the takeaway. It gives them that pull down with a shitload of left wrist lag and shorter follow through that looks real nice.

TheNuclearOne
17th April 2010, 10:14 PM
Wasn't he one of the 7 or 8 of Homer's disciples ?

Of the TGM instructors . . I do prefer the swings of Lynn Blake and Chuck Evans. The trouble is that single 2 feet of the takeaway where they move all over their right foot and that gives them the "late hit, superlag" look. I like how Chuck and Lynn have moved their players over the ball and re defined that "extensior action" on the takeaway. It gives them that pull down with a shitload of left wrist lag and shorter follow through that looks real nice.

Cheers man i could watch Blake all day. What a damn swing. So few moving parts! Ever see that driving video where he has all those layers of clothing? Incredible golf. Blake has always stuck by the tripod principle with the steady head over the ball.

idgolfguy
18th April 2010, 01:20 AM
Have been reviewing Blake's alignment DVDs. It's amazing how everytime I go back, I find some little nuance that I missed previously.

It was great to read Bushka and Virge's exchange over the last few days. I didn't play today, instead, I went to the range with my 9 year old and taught basic motion to him and fixed the bad habits that had creeped onto my swing. Thanks for bring this topic up again.

virge666
18th April 2010, 07:42 AM
Hmmm . . . so we do still have some TGM lads around . . .

Hux
18th April 2010, 09:08 AM
Dunno. That's why I pay a guy to teach me.

Yeah yeah. From the one time we have played together you have decent lag in your swing, probably why you bang it out so well and your swing looks so effortless and unstressed to us hackers.

Bushka
18th April 2010, 08:03 PM
Did more drills yesterday and the results were very positive.

Once I slowed down and concentrated on tempo, contact, and holding my angles and stopped trying to hit the ball I was very happy.

Hit a hundred wedges 52* from light rough about 80 mtrs into the practice green. Was a decent wind blowing into me as well. Was just an easy swing with focus on getting the the angle, making sure my wrist was in the right position and I was keeping my right hand off the club.

This is a distance I've had big problems with in the past. The 3/4 swing area where i tended to flip the club a lot and usually ended up swinging much bigger than needed and decelerating.

(The tempo in this cut actually looks a little quick but i couldn't be buggered mucking around anymore on this laptop.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfrYizjX6rc

Anyway my contact got really solid and the sound was different to my normal shot, which I loved, and here was the real payoff.

I went to hit some shots around the green and my chipping had just flat out improved beyond belief. I was taking the club back hinging and then moving through crisply and holding the angle right through contact till the face of the club was open and in front of me. I wasn't releasing the club head and I was ripping more spin into the thing than i've ever done in my life.

Was hitting my 58 degree callaway x forged low with spin high with spin and controlling it with the amount of lag and swing path (steep / not so steep lol). Will take a lot more practice, i was very sporadic, was quiet excited and hence really just chipped and flopped at all 4 flags on the two practice greens with no systematic stroke, but it was amazing to have that first glimpse of what my short game should really be like contact wise, and spin wise.

I could not have been happier, it was such an unexpected gift.

virge666
18th April 2010, 08:27 PM
I could not have been happier, it was such an unexpected gift.

Looks good mate - looks so much better, it has been a productive month . . .

live4golf
18th April 2010, 08:29 PM
Great conversation here. I know what it is like to lose your lag, I know when I lose confidence with my swing I force my right hand through impact and it feels like it controls the club through the entire swing. I really like the way Virge and Bushka have explained what they did and the finger and thumb drill is one that I will try next time I have a hit. Really great thread.

moree golfer
18th April 2010, 09:24 PM
Great stuff Bushka you are Ozgolf's biggest loser of 'casting the golf club'. Sorry couldn't help the Loser analogy as I sit at the PC while my wife attempts to keep here eyes open to find out the winner.

Scottt
19th April 2010, 12:59 AM
Really great thread.

Well, y'know... I do what I can :lol:

Bushka
19th April 2010, 07:25 AM
Yeah thanks scottt :) Very happy you started this thread.

also i have to work on keeping my bottom half quieter through the swing and stop shoving my right knee across.

razaar
19th April 2010, 08:32 AM
also i have to work on keeping my bottom half quieter through the swing and stop shoving my right knee across.
..across too early.

Bushka
19th April 2010, 08:37 AM
Aye aye skipper. Yeah Virge noted that at the range the other night. I try to get my body into the swing I have visualised in a rush.

I have started looking at Fred Couples as my swing thought now. I want that relaxed tempo and quiet legs. (Also want that massive distance and cool shoes)

razaar
19th April 2010, 08:58 AM
Watched Freddie swing up close for about an hour on the practice range at a US Open. His legs are anything but quiet, it is the pace he changes direction and his smooth tempo that gives the impression that his legs are quiet. You can't get lag if your legs are quiet. The legs and muscles around the hips are the main power source; the arms, wrists, shaft are the transmission. The smaller muscles have very limited power, they really only transmit the power generated by the larger muscles. Muscles only pull that is why each has an antagonist attached to levers (bone). The big slower muscles do all the hard work in generating speed and power which is added to by the smaller weaker muscles.

Bushka
19th April 2010, 09:12 AM
Quiet is a comparitive term for Freddies legs vs My own set of pins.

I do love his tempo. Man he rocks out.

virge666
19th April 2010, 09:21 AM

No you don't.

You have to change the way you clear your left hip... remember the two ways we talked about... You are still straightening your left leg instead of pulling your left hip back...

Your legs are fine.

Bushka
19th April 2010, 10:25 AM
No you don't.

You have to change the way you clear your left hip... remember the two ways we talked about... You are still straightening your left leg instead of pulling your left hip back...

Your legs are fine.

Oh yeah wicked thats right :) I'll do some drills on that this arvo :)

Cheers virge.

Bushka
20th April 2010, 07:25 PM
right after an afternoon doing drills horribly and shanking endless 9 irons i'm on suicide watch lol

virge666
20th April 2010, 10:24 PM
right after an afternoon doing drills horribly and shanking endless 9 irons i'm on suicide watch lol

Your sliding with the legs... this is where the shanks come from.

Yossarian
20th April 2010, 10:37 PM
I just figured that out the other day as well! The swing actually feels quite good but splat and shank.

razaar
21st April 2010, 06:51 AM
Lag, put simply, is swinging the butt end of the club through the ball position. If the grip accelerates more than the club-head in the down-swing you will get lag. Shots, such as those with the high lofted clubs with a shorter back-swing, the club-head needs to be released earlier for consistant results. The key is to retain your centre during the down and through-swing and return the hands through their address position.