PDA

View Full Version : Hire Car Insurance Options

poidda
9th April 2010, 02:36 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows of a better option for insurance when hiring a car than using the hire companies extortionate insurance?

Any chance you can add it to other policies, or take out a better policy than what they offer?

sms316
9th April 2010, 02:47 PM
Easy. Take out travel insurance and make sure that part of it covers excess for hire cars. Much cheaper.

poidda
9th April 2010, 02:53 PM
Yeah that was one option. Haven't found one that covers enough vehicle excess yet.

Minor_Threat
9th April 2010, 02:56 PM
If you don't stuff up and cause an accident you dont pay.. Simple!

marcel
9th April 2010, 03:01 PM
My comprehensive car insurance with RAA cover this for an extra $75 pa, hire a car for more than 3 days a year and you're in front

kpac
9th April 2010, 03:01 PM
If you don't stuff up and cause an accident you dont pay.. Simple!

Certainly NOT that simple!! what about some muppet that crashes into you who doesn't have insurance....? who do you think has to cop that??

Depending on country and company, they can have you over a barrell for a whole number of situations. Even when you're actions have you in the clear 'legally'

sms316
9th April 2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah that was one option. Haven't found one that covers enough vehicle excess yet.
In the past I have hired cars with Thrifty and taken the most basic insurance possible, and then taken the travel insurance on top. The travel insurance paid up to $2500 in excess which covered the $2000 I would have been up for.

Of course you have all of the other extras with the travel insurance anyway.

poidda
9th April 2010, 03:18 PM
Certainly NOT that simple!! what about some muppet that crashes into you who doesn't have insurance....? who do you think has to cop that??

Depending on country and company, they can have you over a barrell for a whole number of situations. Even when you're actions have you in the clear 'legally'
To right, and I learnt that the hard way. Some idiot ran up our arse in NZ years ago. Caused about $300 damage. AVIS kept our $1500 excess, and said they would return it when the driver paid up. We never saw a cent as he didn't have insurance and AVIS claimed the extra money was spent on court costs. Wankers all round.

In the past I have hired cars with Thrifty and taken the most basic insurance possible, and then taken the travel insurance on top. The travel insurance paid up to $2500 in excess which covered the $2000 I would have been up for.

Of course you have all of the other extras with the travel insurance anyway.
Most basic car hire on a 4x4 is $30/day which reduces the excess from $7500 - $3500. Gee thanks.

I have found a travel Insurance that will cover the full $7500 excess, for a cost of $260. Sounds good enough. But the operator just said it wouldn't cover 3rd party damage. But wouldn't the Personal Liability part of the Insurance cover this?!?!

sms316
9th April 2010, 03:30 PM
Most basic car hire on a 4x4 is $30/day which reduces the excess from $7500 - $3500. Gee thanks.

I have found a travel Insurance that will cover the full $7500 excess, for a cost of $260. Sounds good enough. But the operator just said it wouldn't cover 3rd party damage. But wouldn't the Personal Liability part of the Insurance cover this?!?!
Ah OK. I've only ever done it on regular sedans.

poidda
9th April 2010, 03:34 PM
ok. All sorted. Got Travel Insurance from www.Suresave.com.au.

$268 covered 10 days of travel insurance with enough to cover the expensive excess on the car hire with an excess of $0. A lot different what Britz were offering. $600 for the 7 days to reduce the excess to NIL.

kpac
9th April 2010, 03:45 PM
I had a scuffle that VERO ended up coming to the party for. Great resolution in the end for me, but initially i was told i was going to have to cop the excess - i took the highlighter to the policy details and sent it to them and cc'd: a solicitor friend, and they helped me out quick smart - will use them again.

Tomo
9th April 2010, 04:25 PM
If there is no excess you could go nuts!!!!

poidda
9th April 2010, 04:27 PM
;)