PDA

View Full Version : The Masters 2010

MegaWatty
7th April 2010, 03:05 PM
We've got Tiger threads and Tipping threads, but no straight Masters thread.

I just watched the interview with Lefty on www.masters.com Great interview and he really does hold himself well. Especially when 1/3 of the questions are about Tiger.

Unfortunately, it looks like we won't be able to access the live stream online before it starts on TV because we live outside the US. If anyone knows of a US proxy that'll help (Henno or MTB?) let us know!

Anyway, let's talk Masters!

Courty
7th April 2010, 03:32 PM
I mentioned it in another thread somewhere, but I think it's also appropriate to mention in this thread that there is a cool Masters iPhone app in the iTunes store (for free).

ddasey
7th April 2010, 03:38 PM
I mentioned it in another thread somewhere, but I think it's also appropriate to mention in this thread that there is a cool Masters iPhone app in the iTunes store (for free).

Good find.

Installing this as we speak (type).

3oneday
7th April 2010, 03:43 PM
Seems to me that the top few players in the world are out of form, and for Tiger, out of the picture.

He can't possibly win, but if he does he will set himself apart from every golfer in history as the greatest comeback ever, greater than Hogans from injury.

Some roughy like Villegas for mine.

Courty
7th April 2010, 03:47 PM
Seems to me that the top few players in the world are out of form, and for Tiger, out of the picture.

He can't possibly win, but if he does he will set himself apart from every golfer in history as the greatest comeback ever, greater than Hogans from injury.

Hmmm, it'll be interesting to see how it unfolds. IMO, Tiger is the only one mentally strong enough to give this thing a shake after such a long layoff. I don't believe for a second that he would be playing if he didn't think he could win it. And it's not like he hasn't had plenty of time to practice and fine tune his swing. IMO, he'll be as well prepared as anyone for this weekend and hence why I have him in my picks.

Craig_Syd
7th April 2010, 03:58 PM
So apparently Tiger hit a 100yd duck hook at the 10th on Monday.... I am putting $50 on at $6.50 that he misses the cut. Keep an eye on Tim Clark.....

Ned
Floyd won't tee it up in Masters

AUGUSTA, Ga. -- Raymond Floyd (http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/players/profile?playerId=137) has called it a career at Augusta National, saying he won't be playing the Masters anymore after 45 appearances.

http://a.espncdn.com/golfonline/img/profiles/137.jpg
Floyd

The 67-year-old Floyd said Tuesday he decided not to play this year's event because he didn't want to embarrass himself trying to compete on the 7,435-yard course. He still plans to play the Par-3 tournament on Wednesday, joking that he can reach most of those greens off the tee.
Floyd is the latest in a line of past champions who have decided to stop playing the Masters in recent years, including Jack Nicklaus (http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/players/profile?playerId=320), Arnold Palmer (http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/players/profile?playerId=334) and Gary Player (http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/players/profile?playerId=352).
Floyd had played in every Masters since 1965 and won the event in '76. But he had missed the cut the past 10 years.

MegaWatty
Some of the things Phil noted. Tigers win in the 08 Open shows that he knows what to do to win after a lay off, including injury. This is nothing compared to that.

The fairways and around the greens so far have been longer than normal giving them better lies than usual on the fairways and te ability to chip around the greens instead of putt. However he's not sure if they'll change that for the tourney rounds.

The new groove rule will force players to leave themselves uphill chips similar to leaving an uphill putt.

Jarro
7th April 2010, 03:59 PM
Any hope for an Aussie this year ?

Allenby is hitting them pretty well .... not to mention the fact that he's making more putts than ever either.

MegaWatty
7th April 2010, 04:02 PM
Any hope for an Aussie this year ?

Allenby is hitting them pretty well .... not to mention the fact that he's making more putts than ever either.
I think he's the best chance for those exact reasons. Never write off Geoff O too I reckon.

Tin Clarke will be using the yellow Srixon. When was the last time if ever was a yellow ball used in The Masters?

dan
7th April 2010, 06:41 PM
The claw grip will have to be amazing on those greens for Rob to contend.

Moe Norman
7th April 2010, 06:47 PM

coming back from a few months because you were shagging birds with massive cans everywhere you went, in comparison to coming back from a car accident that nearly claimed your life, resulted in a new golf swing and a permanent limp and re-learning to walk?

I think I'll stick with Hogan!

ParMaster
7th April 2010, 06:49 PM
Hopefully Couples or Mickleson wins it. I don't think an aussie will win it, but I'll reckon Ogilvy has the best chances out of them.

Minor_Threat
7th April 2010, 06:52 PM
I'm on Westwood.. I hope Tiger is up there though!

henno
7th April 2010, 07:44 PM
I've laid a few bets against Tiger (at odds that are as yet unmatched). I hope someone on betfair takes them up and Tiger tanks.

3oneday
7th April 2010, 07:49 PM
coming back from a few months because you were shagging birds with massive cans everywhere you went, in comparison to coming back from a car accident that nearly claimed your life, resulted in a new golf swing and a permanent limp and re-learning to walk?

I think I'll stick with Hogan!
Different comparison Thommo, the quality of the comeback not the quality of the person ;) Hogan wins that by a country mile.

Eag's
7th April 2010, 07:52 PM
If Woods manages to win after playing no Tournament golf for over 5 months, it will mentally destroy his opponents for some time to come.
I think he will make the cut, but I highly doubt he can win. I would love to see Allenby or Ogilvy step up, but that will depend on how they both go with the short stick.
I have had a little wager on Tim Clark at 80-1 and a few others at juicy prices 8-)

kpac
7th April 2010, 08:04 PM
Same hope every year....

A. Scott

- Lead the tee to green stats 2 weeks ago for 2 rounds
- Similar story last week, tee to green close to the best player each day.
- Has a putting swing he doesn't trust (however it IS the best it has EVER been, and just needs to fall in the groove with it)
- His new coach was with him last week, and helped with a good finish, will be there again this week, has been working hard daily for 3 weeks
- Course set-up likely to be a bit more to his liking this year, greens reportedly a fraction slower, as are green surrounds.
- He putts like a lemon, but if he's able to drop a few for 4 days the tourney is his for the taking.

I could do a list twice as long about why he wont win - but so could anyone....

kpac
7th April 2010, 08:05 PM
what are you offering??

razaar
7th April 2010, 08:28 PM
Expecting Martin Kaymer to put in a good showing. He has the game that should do well at Augusta, hits it long and very straight and putts well.

kwantfm
7th April 2010, 09:17 PM
I reckon a couple of South Africans have a good shot... Ernie Els (amazing recent form) and Oosthuizen...

Jarro
7th April 2010, 10:30 PM
I really really hope Els plays well

Tongueboy
7th April 2010, 10:40 PM
i am pretty sure the par 3 tourney is live in the morning on 0neHD at 3.45am?

anyone hear that?

Jarro
7th April 2010, 10:41 PM
yep

Tongueboy
7th April 2010, 10:43 PM
worth a look I think. take the winner of that straight out of the betting.

TheTrueReview
7th April 2010, 10:51 PM
Charl Schwartzel as a dark horse & Padraig Harrington a real threat.

Eag's
8th April 2010, 07:46 AM
It was great to watch Palmer, Nicklaus & Player going around in the Par 3 contest today.
I can't wait for tomorrow, go Ernie 8-)

Tongueboy
8th April 2010, 08:35 AM
very sugary and sweet. typical seppo cheesy smiley disney like production.

ddasey
8th April 2010, 09:51 AM
It was great to watch Palmer, Nicklaus & Player going around in the Par 3 contest today.
I can't wait for tomorrow, go Ernie 8-)

+1

Watching it now.

How good does the course look. Bloody awesome.

Getting to the masters to watch it live is definately something on my to do list.

ddasey
8th April 2010, 09:56 AM
Sitting here watching Palmer, Player & Nicholas on the Par 3 contest and my 2 yr old daughter is fixed in front of the TV.

Everytime they make a shot she stands, cheers & claps.

Wonderful to watch.

dan
8th April 2010, 10:35 AM
Only saw the last half hour of the par 3 comp. Arnie dropping that long putt was fun. I think Augusta needs to put a limit on the number of kid caddies a player has. It's looking more like a creche.

dhills2
8th April 2010, 10:37 AM
Woke up nice and early this morning as well to watch the par 3 comp. Some of those little kids sure can putt... and Jack still has some game by the look of it. I also think IBF should step out of the commentary box & have a few more rounds.

goughy
8th April 2010, 12:33 PM
IBF plays great and could easily compete if nothing was on the line! All in his head, and his head doesn't turn up on game day!

sms316
8th April 2010, 12:51 PM
Woke up nice and early this morning as well to watch the par 3 comp. Some of those little kids sure can putt... and Jack still has some game by the look of it. I also think IBF should step out of the commentary box & have a few more rounds.

Only if he is sick of being employed on weekends.

razaar
8th April 2010, 01:26 PM
The USLPGA tour players hit it further than IBF. Michelle Wie would have him by a good 30 yds. At least he can putt once he makes onto the green.

marcel
8th April 2010, 01:38 PM
I also think IBF should step out of the commentary box & have a few more rounds.

He's going to give it a run on the US senior's tour I believe

PerryGroves
8th April 2010, 02:56 PM
+1

Watching it now.

How good does the course look. Bloody awesome.

Getting to the masters to watch it live is definately something on my to do list.

It can be done, don't do the tour with yobbo Australians, you can sort it all yourself. Was there last year, plenty of Tiger hoopla but nothing like this year presumably.

MegaWatty
8th April 2010, 03:33 PM
I just saw Furyks HIO. Classic stuff. Srixon (and probably Boz) will be loving the publicity of it with him using the yellow pill!

It's superb seeing all the kids out there with their dads. I could think of nothing better than doing the same with my kids.

PerryG, how'd you get tickets to The Masters if you didn't use a tour?

Jarro
8th April 2010, 03:38 PM
I just saw Furyks HIO. Classic stuff. Srixon (and probably Boz) will be loving the publicity of it with him using the yellow pill!

It's superb seeing all the kids out there with their dads. I could think of nothing better than doing the same with my kids.

Terry, how'd you get tickets to The Masters if you didn't use a tour?

That ball is really a lot easier to see than the normal white ones isn't it 8)

Eag's
8th April 2010, 03:39 PM
First hole in one with a yellow ball at Augusta I would say?

Jarro
8th April 2010, 03:42 PM
yeah i'd say so mate 8)

MegaWatty
8th April 2010, 10:48 PM
How awesome was the picture of 12 covered in snow, except for the green which had obviously had the snow removed to protect it?

Johnny Canuck
8th April 2010, 11:06 PM
IBF plays great and could easily compete if nothing was on the line! All in his head, and his head doesn't turn up on game day!

Word is that he was out at Kennedy Bay a month and a half ago and was draining everything in sight. A few people saw him hit and said that he has a ton of game still.

MegaWatty
9th April 2010, 01:31 AM
**** yeah!

Johnny Canuck
9th April 2010, 01:54 AM
How did you get it to work?

MegaWatty
9th April 2010, 01:55 AM
installed Hotspot Shield.

A bit shakey though...C'mon Furyk!!!

Minor_Threat
9th April 2010, 09:07 AM
My Westwood tip is looking good..

3oneday
9th April 2010, 09:16 AM
Channel 10 must be making a bucket from advertising :roll:

dan
9th April 2010, 09:49 AM
Channel 10 must be making a bucket from advertising :roll:
Yeah it's a joy to see the same ad 100 times.

PS. I switched to srixon

Lilsprints
9th April 2010, 10:32 AM
Michael Campbell +11

Guarantee he's not a happy camper.

MegaWatty
9th April 2010, 10:43 AM
Couldn't have asked for a better leaderboard after day 1!

Jarro
9th April 2010, 10:46 AM
Good to see Mr Couples showing the young 'uns how it's done :)

I've never seen him make so many putts :shock:

3oneday
9th April 2010, 10:48 AM
My mate wants to know what putter he's using, anyone know ?

Bruce
9th April 2010, 10:54 AM
Michael Campbell +11

Has Michael Campbell broken 80 at a major since his win?

TheTrueReview
9th April 2010, 10:58 AM
Has Michael Campbell broken 80 at a major since his win?

For 9 or 18?

Jarro
9th April 2010, 11:00 AM
Michael Campbell +11

I reckon he oughta blame his caddy ;)

dhills2
9th April 2010, 12:20 PM
Mr. Couples, Mr. Watson... you made my day. Please please please stay up there somewhere until Sunday.
Westwood & Poulter looked nice & solid... is the drought about to end?
Tiger... surely he will be right there on Sunday after his PB opening round. I really didn't think he'd crack 70 today.
Mateo Manaserro... amazing first round ever. His swing looks red hot too!
Adam Scott... good to see him fight back after a poor start. Few more putts drop early tomorrow & you never know I guess. About as much of a confidence player as there is in the field!
Furyk & Stenson... how embarassing to only get M. Campbell by 3 strokes in the opening round of a major!!

LOVING THE MASTERS :) :) :)

MegaWatty
9th April 2010, 12:25 PM
Very little mention of Phil's round. He might enjoy the spotlight being removed a bit. Same with KJ!

BrisVegas
9th April 2010, 12:41 PM
I'm loving the coverage in HD. Pity about the relentless ads.

goughy
9th April 2010, 01:16 PM
The coverage has gotta be paid for somehow! They may be a bugger, but at least we get to see some of it. At least I will when I get a chance to sit down, watch my recording and skip the ads ;)

Eag's
9th April 2010, 01:59 PM
How good is it to see the great man Watson shooting -5 it would be great to see him keep it going.
My tips all had shockers :(

MegaWatty
9th April 2010, 02:00 PM
I reckon my tips were the worst!!!

IanO
9th April 2010, 02:33 PM
Early days yet! 3 in the top 20!

dhills2
9th April 2010, 03:38 PM
2 in top 20 with Stricker, Goose & Rory no higher than 50th. No disasters for me yet, feel sorry for anyone with Furyk & Kaymer!

I'm pretty happy so far with my tips but wish I had kept my trio of Woods, Choi & Kuchar!

PeteyD
9th April 2010, 03:59 PM
Wait until the cut to worry about your tips lads. Gotta love the shoes Freddy was wearing. Nothing like playing golf in your old mans slippers.

MegaWatty
9th April 2010, 06:12 PM
No disasters for me yet, feel sorry for anyone with Furyk & Kaymer!

Thanks for your Furyk pity. :(

I was cheering when he was 2 under through 3!

terrys
9th April 2010, 10:42 PM
Wait until the cut to worry about your tips lads. Gotta love the shoes Freddy was wearing. Nothing like playing golf in your old mans slippers.

and no socks!

MegaWatty
10th April 2010, 12:48 AM
Awesome. Michael Campbell just birdied 12 to go to +15.

Lilsprints
10th April 2010, 03:09 PM
He finished up on +20, wow, just wow lol

Also how Anthony Kim is still tied 2nd at -6 is beyond me, his driving accuracy over the last 2 rounds has been dead last, can't remember how many FIR he hit but i know it wasn't many.

sms316
10th April 2010, 03:14 PM
This ad break finished yet?

Ferrins
10th April 2010, 03:51 PM
I love watching the Masters but the constant barrage of nostalgic rhetoric, self gloating and competition synopsis from the two dic^s in the cabin gets to me. Also I'd love to pump some lead into that tosser who does the Apocalypse now golf add. I just wish they would show more golf!!!!!!.

Anyway "go the Pommes" or any non American's

Ferrins
10th April 2010, 03:54 PM

Lilsprints
10th April 2010, 05:28 PM
I hope either of the 2 pommies win it but if they can't i want KJ Choi to take it.

Tiger to go +10 tomorrow, make it happen golf gods!

adlo
10th April 2010, 08:32 PM
Watch Amen Corner live, Ad free on the web. It is so sweet not having the ads.

MegaWatty
10th April 2010, 08:55 PM
You seen Tigers shot on 9 yet Ads?

PS. Thanks again for the cups!

markTHEblake
10th April 2010, 10:06 PM
9 under will win it, the course will not play as easy over the weekend.
Cant see the winner coming from top two, am hoping for KJ Choi.

TheNuclearOne
10th April 2010, 11:06 PM
I'm thinking Kim or Phil, prolly Phil.

Lilsprints
11th April 2010, 12:05 AM
I'm thinking Kim or Phil, prolly Phil.

Really can't see Kim winning it unless he throws out his current driver, it'll be scary what he can do if he hits some fairways.

senecio
11th April 2010, 05:56 AM
I'm loving the coverage in HD. Pity about the relentless ads.

Don't get too used to the HD coverage. Had anyone checked the guide for tomorrow? Only the last 1hr 45mins of the final day will be shown on One HD due to the Moto GP. The coverage will start on 10 and only move to One HD after 7:15 am.

And they wonder why we are prepared to pay for our sport?

sms316
11th April 2010, 06:53 AM
Tiger can't win.

ddasey
11th April 2010, 07:39 AM
Phil is on fire.

idgolfguy
11th April 2010, 11:35 AM
After the third day, I am convinced that Woods will be donning another Green jacket. While Westwood and Mickelson played very well, Woods putted poorly ( by his standards) and drove poorly. I can't see him having two bad putting days in a row. He still has a good day of golf on him.

Phil played well and that three hole stretch put him in contention. He'll come in T3 with Westwood. Choi will be T2.

Lilsprints
11th April 2010, 12:30 PM
Tiger can't win.

QFT

I can't see both Westwood and Mickelson both having bad rounds tomorrow the way there playing.

Unless Tiger goes out there and shoots a 66 or lower i can't see it happening.

Still want KJ to win :P

MegaWatty
11th April 2010, 01:29 PM
Unless Tiger goes out there and shoots a 66 or lower i can't see it happening.

How you can you put it past the bloke???

virge666
11th April 2010, 09:24 PM
I think Phil has it covered... he has been quality all weekend.

I don't think Westwood will hold it together but I would like any non-American to win though.

Woods cant hit the golf course . . . not much has changed.

Eag's
11th April 2010, 09:27 PM
Westwood will be to strong tomorrow, his time has come.

markTHEblake
11th April 2010, 11:55 PM
Tiger can't win.

If he shoots 2 under I reckon he will win.

But why does the course still seem to be playing easily? The track is miles longer than it used to be and they still shoot lower scores. Surely its got to be harder tomorrow

MegaWatty
12th April 2010, 12:02 AM

But why does the course still seem to be playing easily? The track is miles longer than it used to be and they still shoot lower scores. Surely its got to be harder tomorrow
They're saying the weather is making it play easy. The humidity has been making the greens pretty receptive.

sms316
12th April 2010, 03:11 AM

From what I saw in round three he can't win. With all of the pressure he has been under over the last few months his fuse looked extremely short when things were going against him.

Of course there is the other small matter that he has never won a major when trailing after 54 holes.

sms316
12th April 2010, 04:33 AM
Confirmed after Tiger's first swing. Even Zigwah would have hit his drive straighter.

BrettM
12th April 2010, 05:04 AM
Yep, Phil will get there I think.

gazgolf1
12th April 2010, 06:19 AM
Holy crap :shock: how good was Westwood's bunker shot just then?

Eag's
12th April 2010, 06:34 AM
Yeah Gaz that shot was magic :smt038
Can't wait for the back 9 :D

gazgolf1
12th April 2010, 07:23 AM
Anthony Kim charging.

Eag's
12th April 2010, 07:28 AM
Kim & Choi are on fire at the moment.

Jarro
12th April 2010, 07:31 AM
Nice birdie on 12 by Phil 8)

KJ is looking good though (although he just tugged his approach in the lefthand trap on 13)

Eag's
12th April 2010, 07:44 AM
Holy crap Batman!!, how good was that shot into 13 from Phil :shock:

mike
12th April 2010, 07:45 AM
A wow moment that one.

Eldrick
12th April 2010, 07:51 AM
anyone know of a live feed to watch at work?

simmsy
12th April 2010, 07:57 AM
holy crap, great shot by phil on 13,followed by the worst putt

Akim will just be short, great close by him though.

MegaWatty
12th April 2010, 08:25 AM
anyone know of a live feed to watch at work?
Go to justin.tv

BrisVegas
12th April 2010, 08:30 AM
Go FIGJAM!!!! You can do it!

Flavzz
12th April 2010, 09:08 AM
Congrats Phil.. That shot on 13 was ridiculously good..

GolfBallWhackerGuy
12th April 2010, 09:21 AM
Congrats Phil.. That shot on 13 was ridiculously good..

Hey Flavzz, can you describe the shot? I didnt get a chance of watching the golf this morning. Thanks

Grunt
12th April 2010, 09:25 AM
Was a 5i or the like from pine needles through a gap in the trees to about 10 feet.

Eag's
12th April 2010, 09:26 AM
Great win by lefty, you had to be touched by the embrace between him & his wife.

dan
12th April 2010, 09:30 AM
Great win by phil. Some unbelievable shots. Kim's 7 under was amazing too.

When tiger hits them bad his swing looks wild.

Flavzz
12th April 2010, 09:37 AM
Was a 5i or the like from pine needles through a gap in the trees to about 10 feet.

Out of the pines between trees and over the water..which was to more like 4 feet then he missed the eagle putt..

Took absolute nerves of steel to hit that shot while leading the masters. Amazing.

Was a good story for Phil and his family.

Also amazing how erratically tiger played yet still contends in a Major

gazgolf1
12th April 2010, 09:38 AM
I have to admit Phil has a huge pair.

gazgolf1
12th April 2010, 09:40 AM
Took absolute nerves of steel to hit that shot while leading the masters. Amazing.

Just to stand there and think you can hit that shot off the pine needles and through that gap say's a lot about the guy's self belief.

AndyP
12th April 2010, 09:51 AM
Did he need to hit the shot? I didn't see it, but I'm wondering if it's nerves of steel or stupidity.

Grunt
12th April 2010, 09:55 AM
It was a make or break shot, I think he was tied with KJ at that stage. If it had not come off it would have been seen as the shot that lost it rather than the shot that won it.

goughy
12th April 2010, 10:25 AM
was a tiny gap really too for that shot. shot of the masters you'd have to say, considering the pressure and circumstances. has he actually lost some weight too??

dhills2
12th April 2010, 10:53 AM
I thought it was a stupid option until he proved me wrong. That shot was ridiculously good. There was pretty much zero margin for error considering he was hitting off the pine needles & through the trees... wow.

It was good to see Kim, Mahan & Watney all making a charge up the board. Kim's ability to hit greens and make putts after he continually misses the short stuff just amazes me.

TheNuclearOne
12th April 2010, 11:03 AM
Very happy for Phil and his family,a great story. It choked me up a bit seeing him with the wife at the end given what they are going thru. Very deserved win too, he was undoubtably the best golfer there this week after the full duration.

AlexMc
12th April 2010, 11:03 AM
I have to admit Phil has a huge pair.
I'm not a fan of the guy...but I have to agree. It was a massive play given the position he was in the tournament and the shot he had to play. Low percentage but the guy is good enough to pull it off. Amazing shot.

dan
12th April 2010, 11:19 AM
has he actually lost some weight too??
Was thinking that too. The manboobs have shrunk.

parlyboy
12th April 2010, 11:46 AM
Phil deserved to win after that dart from the pine needles.

Tiger Woods interview after his round was less than impressive, what a sook.
Poor form Tiger...IMO.

PeteyD
12th April 2010, 12:05 PM
The gap was not that tiny, but it was a brave shot. I was thinking oh oh, meltdown time, but he did hit it perfeectly. Fancy missing the putt though. Would have been 3 eagles and a birdie on 13 for the 4 rounds if he dropped it.

TheNuclearOne
12th April 2010, 12:22 PM
Phil deserved to win after that dart from the pine needles.

Tiger Woods interview after his round was less than impressive, what a sook.
Poor form Tiger...IMO.

Agreed and agreed. He didn't win so his form isn't where he wants it lmao

virge666
12th April 2010, 01:16 PM
Did he need to hit the shot? I didn't see it, but I'm wondering if it's nerves of steel or stupidity.

It was a make or break shot, I think he was tied with KJ at that stage. If it had not come off it would have been seen as the shot that lost it rather than the shot that won it.

It was a stupid shot - he could have laid it up and made his birdie easily. That could have very easily been another Winged f*ckup if he didn't pull it off.

Balls - yes, Skills - yes, Brains - No

Quite simply - you did not have to play that shot.

Top Win though - he played beautiful golf for 4 days.

how good was it to have Tiger back - I missed him, he just plays shots that no one else can... and then puts his driver in places that are unheard of.

TourFit
12th April 2010, 02:14 PM
Agreed Virge...I thought that Fat Phil had tempered the 'need' to play those shots at the wrong times. It's cost him over the years. Easily could have laid up, wedged in close and birdied (at worse Par). KJ had just bogeyed it anyway, and Westwood had ALREADY laid up !!!

Having said that, WHAT A SHOT!! Almost Tiger like...

As for the man himself, why shouldn't he be disappointed in his result?? As far as I can see there was no sook from Tiger, he was his usual self!!! He stated that he wants to win EVERY tournament he enters, and he wouldn't enter if he didn't think he could win. For me, that is what separates him from EVERYBODY else - the harsh self criticism, his own expectations etc. I'm sure in Tigers' own head, the layoff would have had NOTHING to do with his golf. Inside the ropes & on course nothing had (or has) changed. His knee op affected his game far more than the screwing around IMO. He was well prepared in his own opinion and had worked very hard leading up to it. He was in contention the whole time, finished 4th, could've won...so obviously the much spoken about lay-off meant F**K ALL !!!!

sms316
12th April 2010, 03:04 PM
Just watching the replay on Fox. Geez Phil must have had a pure lie on the pine straw. The gap wasn't as tight as what some of you have made out though. Not from that close.

idgolfguy
12th April 2010, 03:25 PM
Westwood played a similar shot the day before with a smaller window an saved par. Not sure what hole though.

Phil has a pair up top and down below. Good to see Phil play his natural game and let his talent come shine through. Have always been a fan of Phil and Tiger. Both of them tend to make the shot when it counts - with Tiger more so.

MegaWatty
12th April 2010, 04:46 PM
Fat Phil

Fit, seriously...

razaar
12th April 2010, 05:31 PM
The Kostis interview with Tiger showed Kostis to be the tool that he is. Tiger handled him beautifully.

parlyboy
12th April 2010, 05:41 PM
Agreed and agreed. He didn't win so his form isn't where he wants it lmao

True. If Tiger had won with the same score he would of been all smiles and saying how well he played. Homo.

Fact is Phil got the freaky thing going the back 9. He was better than Tiger.

KristianJ
12th April 2010, 06:30 PM
Having said that, WHAT A SHOT!! Almost Tiger like...

IMO it ranks alongside that chip in at 16 in '05. Maybe too audacious given that he missed the eagle putt, but surely the closer of the 2 trees would have had to be pretty close when it came to Lefty's follow through. The ball was positioned just well enough to make the shot possible.

sms316
12th April 2010, 06:43 PM
True. If Tiger had won with the same score he would of been all smiles and saying how well he played. Homo.
If Tiger had of won with the score he had the course would have played tougher so he would have played better to have it. The reality is that if he wiped off all of his poor shots he would have won by 5 shots. Get it?

Suggesting that Tiger should be thrilled with his result and be all smiles shows a real lack of intellect on your behalf. Wake up to yourself.

AlexMc
12th April 2010, 06:46 PM
It was a stupid shot - he could have laid it up and made his birdie easily. That could have very easily been another Winged f*ckup if he didn't pull it off.

Balls - yes, Skills - yes, Brains - No

Quite simply - you did not have to play that shot.
I don't know...if he did lay up for 2, stuck his third that close and then missed the birdie putt and got a par we may have seen another meltdown. The shot was probably more important in the confidence it gave him to close it out than anything. He played super solid golf from that point in to make sure he won it - something that has been missing from him in a few majors in the past.

AlexMc
12th April 2010, 06:50 PM
If Tiger had of won with the score he had the course would have played tougher so he would have played better to have it. The reality is that if he wiped off all of his poor shots he would have won by 5 shots. Get it?

Suggesting that Tiger should be thrilled with his result and be all smiles shows a real lack of intellect on your behalf. Wake up to yourself.
Some of his shots were pretty ordinary (for a man of his level - I'd be ecstatic if I could sky a drive that far!) and for him to finish top 5 first tournament back is quite an achievement. He was quite terse in his interview afterwards and that was probably more to how poorly he played and that a top 5 is not good enough for him. Some see it as him being a massive tool. I see it that the man has the drive to be back out there and was frustrated in that had he played better he probably would have romped it in.

TheNuclearOne
12th April 2010, 06:52 PM

Fact is Phil got the freaky thing going the back 9. He was better than Tiger.

Exactly. He will never be known as a good or gracious loser.

sms316
12th April 2010, 06:53 PM
Exactly. He will never be known as a good or gracious loser.
Why would you want to be? Surely being a winner is more imprtant?

TheNuclearOne
12th April 2010, 06:58 PM
Why would you want to be? Surely being a winner is more important?

Others can lose graciously, but Tiger can't. Being a winner is important but it shouldn't override everything.

idgolfguy
12th April 2010, 07:02 PM
I agree, Tiger, has always been candid about his game. As stated earlier, to finish where he did with the swing he had on some shots is testament to his talent and skill.

His driver has always been a little vague periodically but his putting has bailed him out. His putting let him down and if just a third of them dropped, he'd have another Major.

Minor_Threat
12th April 2010, 07:04 PM

Agree with this totally.. Tiger played like crap for 70% of the tourny!

I see no problem with being disappointed / pissed off with the way you played and showing it..

razaar
12th April 2010, 07:39 PM
His bad drives all seem to happen when he gets in an excessive "carry the tray" laid off position. He has no hope of keeping his arms out in front of his body at the crucial time from that position at the top with a hard driver, anti-left swing. Tiger will know that. It is something that he most likely picked up when changing his swing with Hank Hayne, and only seems to happen with the driver. If he ever manages to eradicate that flaw, he will be almost unbeatable.

Grunt
12th April 2010, 08:04 PM
Remember 2nd is the first loser. I admit I am a bad loser but if it is something that I feel I could have won I am pissed off. Might be a competitive thing but it is part of me. Might be the one thing Tiger and I have in common.

AndyP
12th April 2010, 08:12 PM
And calling a guy whose promiscuity with women is famous around the world a 'Homo' (in a discriminatory way) doesn't show much intellect either.

virge666
13th April 2010, 08:41 AM
His bad drives all seem to happen when he gets in an excessive "carry the tray" laid off position. He has no hope of keeping his arms out in front of his body at the crucial time from that position at the top with a hard driver, anti-left swing. Tiger will know that. It is something that he most likely picked up when changing his swing with Hank Hayne, and only seems to happen with the driver. If he ever manages to eradicate that flaw, he will be almost unbeatable.

Right with you Ray . . . did you see his practice swings . . . lift it up and drag it around !!

That is Haney getting him to lay it off and then release it with his left side - That is what he WANTS him to do. The trouble you see if when he gets out of sync and his body is too quick, the club is too far behind him and he just cannot get it near the golf ball in time.

There must be a better way than that to get the transition working...

And I agree with the Pro Tiger comments - He played like a dick for two rounds and still came top 5, I would be bloody cranky aswell. And as for temper and conduct on a course, if I wanted to watch a robot, I can always watch Goosen and Furyk.

razaar
13th April 2010, 10:44 AM
Right with you Ray . . . did you see his practice swings . . . lift it up and drag it around !!

That is Haney getting him to lay it off and then release it with his left side - That is what he WANTS him to do. The trouble you see if when he gets out of sync and his body is too quick, the club is too far behind him and he just cannot get it near the golf ball in time.

There must be a better way than that to get the transition working...

And I agree with the Pro Tiger comments - He played like a dick for two rounds and still came top 5, I would be bloody cranky aswell. And as for temper and conduct on a course, if I wanted to watch a robot, I can always watch Goosen and Furyk.

That's it Virge.... it shows how much Tiger thinks of golf swing during a round, practically nil. His focus must be on the target and he trusts what he has that day and the pictures in his head.

3oneday
13th April 2010, 10:51 AM
Seems strange that both days he said his warm up was poor. Is this a sign that he isn't as mentally strong as before ? Surely he would have put that out of his mind ?

TheTrueReview
13th April 2010, 03:55 PM

And I agree with the Pro Tiger comments - ... if I wanted to watch a robot, I can always watch Goosen and Furyk.

Absolutely. The last thing I want to see is some sort of lobotomised version of Tiger who plays a round with an idiot grin on his face and shakes hands with every second person.

Lilsprints
13th April 2010, 04:31 PM
Anyone else sick to death of Tiger Woods?

Mickelson won and all i'm hearing on TV is tiger this and tiger that.

So glad he didn't win, would never hear the end of it.

razaar
14th April 2010, 10:01 PM
A couple of our golfing friends just arrived back from a group tour out of Sydney to the Masters and got to play Pinehurst Nos. 2,3 & 4. They couldn't speak highly enough about the tour and were overwhelmed by how big and magnificent Augusta National is. If I can find a spare $20,000, we will make the trip next year.;)

MegaWatty
14th April 2010, 10:09 PM
A couple of our golfing friends just arrived back from a group tour out of Sydney to the Masters and got to play Pinehurst Nos. 2,3 & 4. They couldn't speak highly enough about the tour and were overwhelmed by how big and magnificent Augusta National is. If I can find a spare $20,000, we will make the trip next year.;)
20k!!! Per person or individual?

Do you know the tour company they used?

razaar
14th April 2010, 10:22 PM
20k!!! Per person or individual?

Do you know the tour company they used?

No details as yet, it was a brief phone call to tell me that they had the items I asked them to pick up at the Masters. The figure of $20,000 was mentioned in passing, total cost for the 2 weeks for a couple. The cost of food and drinks on course at the Masters is quite cheap - $1.50 for sandwiches etc, drinks are around $2.50 each.

MegaWatty
14th April 2010, 10:42 PM
No details as yet, it was a brief phone call to tell me that they had the items I asked them to pick up at the Masters. The figure of $20,000 was mentioned in passing, total cost for the 2 weeks for a couple. The cost of food and drinks on course at the Masters is quite cheap - $1.50 for sandwiches etc, drinks are around $2.50 each.
I saw an article about the price of stuff at Augusta. Very cheap. And the only place to get official merchandise from. And of course, patrons get parking and programs for free.

markTHEblake
15th April 2010, 12:14 AM
It was a stupid shot - he could have laid it up and made his birdie easily.

I was surprised that he played that shot, but-
- we dont know what the lie was like, if it was a good lie then why not
- it was only a 5 iron, if it was a par 4 we would have all called him a girly tosser for laying up from that distance.
- and the gap in the trees was insignificant to him, but it made it look intimidating. Heck even Jono on a bad day blindfolded couldnt have hit those trees.

though the only thing that i thought looked like an issue was his follow through.

Pity the course seemed to play too easy. What are they gunna do next year, make it longer again :-)

TheNuclearOne
15th April 2010, 08:21 AM
I was surprised that he played that shot, but-
- we dont know what the lie was like, if it was a good lie then why not
- it was only a 5 iron, if it was a par 4 we would have all called him a girly tosser for laying up from that distance.
- and the gap in the trees was insignificant to him, but it made it look intimidating. Heck even Jono on a bad day blindfolded couldnt have hit those trees.

though the only thing that i thought looked like an issue was his follow through.

Pity the course seemed to play too easy. What are they gunna do next year, make it longer again :-)

Excellent points, and here is a story along the same track with tips. Apparently he thought the shot so routine he didn't even consider a layup.

http://blogs.golf.com/top100/2010/04/the-big-play-how-to-hit-legendary-shots-like-phil-mickelson.html

dan
15th April 2010, 09:17 AM
Anyone else sick to death of Tiger Woods? .
Looks like they're getting a divorce so hopefully that will be the end of it and he can go back to banging sluts 24/7.

razaar
15th April 2010, 10:04 AM
Can never get enough of Tiger, he's a stud. Maybe next time around he will marry for the right reasons.

markTHEblake
15th April 2010, 07:24 PM
Excellent points, and here is a story along the same track with tips. Apparently he thought the shot so routine he didn't even consider a layup.

Good article, - was surprised it was a 6, i coulda sworn i heard him say 5 with the caddie! Also this bit from the article explains the odd practice swings "Groove that motion by making practice swings like you're swinging a baseball bat, so the club swings around your body" because that front on picture shows the tree was in now way interfering with his followthrough

AlexMc
15th April 2010, 10:14 PM
I really am not a fan of Phil...but the tubby bastard is making it hard for me to hate him (http://www.14stix.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=268&Focus=526#Comment_526)...

dhills2
16th April 2010, 12:17 PM
I really am not a fan of Phil...but the tubby bastard is making it hard for me to hate him (http://www.14stix.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=268&Focus=526#Comment_526)...

Haha, Krispy Kreme... explains his baby feeders. I'm not the biggest lefty fan either but he does appear to be a family man & I do enjoy his short game DVD commentary ("that's craaaaaazzzyyy")... maybe he is starting to convert me. His next step would be stop hitting Callaways & to start hitting the ball from the right side of the ball (excuse the pun).

petethepilot
16th April 2010, 07:12 PM
A mate who caddied on the PGA tour a few years ago reckon's he is a Dick!

Pete

Scoot
16th April 2010, 09:55 PM

Pete

Could very well be right, though I'll bet my left ball that Phil reckons there are a few caddies on tour that are dicks.

Daves
16th April 2010, 10:26 PM
At least one comes immediately to mind!

petethepilot
16th April 2010, 11:57 PM
In his defence his caddy has been with him for years so he must be good in some way!

mike
17th April 2010, 12:06 AM

PeteFair enough but I'll bet there's nobody on tour that at least one caddie doesn't think is a dick.

Never been a Phil fan but that ballsy last round and the hug from his missus (genuine tears and all) has gained him some newfound respect from me.

mike
17th April 2010, 12:28 PM
Good article by Fitzsimons.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tiger-returns-where-he-left-off-20100416-skfr.html

Tiger returns where he left off

PETER FITZSIMONS

April 17, 2010

No, you said. Tiger's not a dickhead, you said. As a matter of fact, when I wrote last November a rather withering attack on Woods for his constant carry-on during the Australian Masters - throwing clubs, swearing and behaving like ''a petulant prig'', without a tenth of the class of the likes of Jack Nicklaus, you said I was being too harsh. But, after the US Masters, surely the proof is now in the putting. And I don't just mean because Woods allowed the use of the voice of his dead father on an advertisement so Nike could flog more shoes from Asian sweatshops. Nor because of his embarrassing outbursts when shots didn't go his way on the final day. (By contrast, have a look at the grace with which Fred Couples and Ernie Els reacted when, after bad shots, their own dreams were dashed on the same day.) I mean because of this: There he was on the last hole of the Masters on Sunday after having made a fairly stunning comeback from five months of oblivion brought on by having set new records for systemic adultery. The crowd greeted him warmly for four days, he played some outstanding golf, and on the final fairway the wild applause washed over him. Because he had done really, really well. And yet, in his wrap-up interview, did Tiger crack it for a smile? Did he thank the fans who'd supported him so graciously, despite everything? Perhaps offer even one word of congratulations to the victor, Phil Mickelson, for his stunning achievement of winning the Masters, despite having a wife undergoing treatment for cancer?
Nuh. Nothing. Stone-cold, motherless nothing.
All he gave was a surly: ''I finished fourth.''
And then, to quote Henry Blodget, who wrote a strong piece on this very theme for The Wire: ''Tiger went on to complain that he just hit the ball worse and worse as the week went on and that people were making way too big a deal about his being visibly pissed about this. Basically, he seemed to be saying, people are making way too big a deal about the way I behave (not just on the golf course), and I'm not going to start smiling and handing out flowers and kissing babies to be more popular. That's just the way I am. And that's fair. That's just the way he is: The best golfer in history. And an a---hole.''
What he said.
YIN AND YANG

Finally, the juxtaposition of Mickelson v Woods in their personal lives was hard to miss. On the Saturday night, Mickelson was surrounded by his ailing wife, his mother and his three children, one of whom had an accident and broke her arm, keeping him up till 1am. Who knows where Tiger was, but it wasn't with his family. And come the denouement, there was Mickelson, the victor, again surrounded by his family, while sourpuss Tiger was all alone, his wife and children in parts unknown as his Saturday night blondes competed to get their own last seconds of their combined 15 minutes of fame from the whole tawdry mess. Doesn't sport just have a way of evening everything out in the end, so that most, finally, get what they deserve?

Jarro
17th April 2010, 01:32 PM
Good article by Fitzsimons.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tiger-returns-where-he-left-off-20100416-skfr.html

Very nicely put.

TheNuclearOne
17th April 2010, 06:01 PM
Indeed.

razaar
21st April 2010, 08:20 AM
The 2011 Masters will be the 50th anniversary of Gary Player's win (1961), first international to win the Masters; and the 25th anniversary of Jack Nichlaus's win in 1986 when he gave Norman a lesson. If it turns out to be as good as this years, I can't wait.