PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: driver shaft .335 tip

blurry
6th April 2010, 11:20 PM
looking for a hi launch ,stiff shaft to go in a titleist 905r.

henno
7th April 2010, 07:28 AM
UST V2 High Launch, brand new still in plastic. 65 gram stiffy.

3oneday
7th April 2010, 07:35 AM
Brurry, the 905R is a bore through shaft which means that if you buy a stiff shaft and fully insert it it will probably play closer to X stiff.

Try and find a Pro Launch Blue in 65 or 75 that hasn't been tipped. They have an extra inch on the tip which means you wouldn't have to worry about it playing too stiff.

www.clubmate-golf.com.au had some awhile go.

blurry
7th April 2010, 08:06 AM
thanks 3od, I had heard about that,so i was planning on not inserting it all the way through. How far do you think it should go in? cheers
henno, how much? posted to penrith ,nsw

3oneday
7th April 2010, 08:15 AM
Maybe an inch I believe ? I've heard of folk just placing the tip of another shaft in there first, not sure though. Maybe someone with more nouse will know.

davepuppies
7th April 2010, 08:15 AM
Whats in the 905R now blurry?

blurry
7th April 2010, 08:33 AM
dave ,it did have a grafalloy pro lite 35 s , but it snapped when i snapped lol.

Daves
7th April 2010, 08:35 AM
Maybe an inch I believe ? I've heard of folk just placing the tip of another shaft in there first, not sure though. Maybe someone with more nouse will know.

My 905s both have NVs. NV shafts come from the factory at 46" uncut, my drivers play at 45" so would guess probably closer to 1 & 1/2" allowing for hosel etc? Can you work the math in reverse to get to that result?

Will ask the fitter when I see him tomorrow.

3oneday
7th April 2010, 08:44 AM
Titleist get their shafts made (or did) with a longer tip, so they are actually different shafts than you would buy.

blurry
7th April 2010, 08:45 AM
cheers daves that would be much appreciated, I had thought about 1-1/2 inches

virge666
7th April 2010, 09:13 AM
thanks 3od, I had heard about that,so i was planning on not inserting it all the way through. How far do you think it should go in? cheers
henno, how much? posted to penrith ,nsw

Not a good idea - Put it all the way in... that is the way the clubhead was designed. Otherwise you will splinter the shaft. You will also need to plug the bottom of the shaft.

I have a stack of cheap stiff shafts - check out the UST list that is in the ProShop. You will have a 335 tip so any oth those will do and they will also cost around $40 delivered. i can even through in the ferrule kit and plug for the base of the shaft for a couple of bucks more.

Any of the Harmon Tour shafts are really good in the 905 heads as the counterbalancing works well with the bore through.

f00re
7th April 2010, 10:04 AM
Blurry, I have an aftermarket Diamana blueboard with the 4 inch parallel tip designed for bore through head if you want it. should play to 45 inches inserted fully.
its 63g X-stiff $100pp

blurry
7th April 2010, 10:56 AM
thanks virge, what have you got in hi launch stiff .? id like to try and organise something today.
foore , thanks for the offer ,but its probably to stiff for me

LeftyHoges
7th April 2010, 11:29 AM
Not a good idea - Put it all the way in... that is the way the clubhead was designed. Otherwise you will splinter the shaft. You will also need to plug the bottom of the shaft.

Just as a side note, you can "blind bore" a Titleist head by cutting off the old shaft at the top of the hosel and then drilling out the old shaft 1&1/2'' inches down. This way you're sitting the new shaft on the remains of the old shaft and the 'bore-thru' is complete. Done quite easily if you have an old useless shaft laying around. Just to keep in mind.

TourFit
7th April 2010, 11:44 AM
Lefty...strictly speaking that is not really a blind bore. Just a standard insertion depth in a bore through, with the bottom plugged up with another piece of shaft. A blind bore in clubmaking terms has to do with the distance from the heel on the ground to the shaft tip. Bore through is obviously 0, blind bores are usually 1/2" and standard bores are 1"+

Virge, I have had some serious success with a 2" (or even 1.75") insertions into the Titty bore thru's...as long as a proper piece of shaft is glued in at the bottom and the two pieces butt up against each other it should be OK. I even had an email conversation with a VP of Aldila regarding their short tip sections and inserting them in Titleist's (who ordered shafts from Aldila with an extra 2" tip section to counteract the bore thru depth), he suggested a 2" depth and shaft plug from the bottom, and that that was what a LOT of the pro's were doing with them at the time !!! GO FIGURE...

LeftyHoges
7th April 2010, 11:48 AM
Lefty...strictly speaking that is not really a blind bore. Just a standard insertion depth in a bore through, with the bottom plugged up with another piece of shaft. A blind bore in clubmaking terms has to do with the distance from the heel on the ground to the shaft tip. Bore through is obviously 0, blind bores are usually 1/2" and standard bores are 1"+

Virge, I have had some serious success with a 2" (or even 1.75") insertions into the Titty bore thru's...as long as a proper piece of shaft is glued in at the bottom and the two pieces butt up against each other it should be OK. I even had an email conversation with a VP of Aldila regarding their short tip sections and inserting them in Titleist's (who ordered shafts from Aldila with an extra 2" tip section to counteract the bore thru depth), he suggested a 2" depth and shaft plug from the bottom, and that that was what a LOT of the pro's were doing with them at the time !!! GO FIGURE...

I stand corrected, sort of...

That was exactly what I was trying to explain, but couldn't remember the name of what it's called, hence the blind bore written in these thingys '' ''....

Thanks TF ;)

blurry
8th April 2010, 04:43 PM
found shaft thanks to henno

Daves
8th April 2010, 05:43 PM
cheers daves that would be much appreciated, I had thought about 1-1/2 inches

Hi blurry,

spoke to the fitter today (he is a Titleist fitter) and he said the same as Virge (no surprise there), put it in all the way. That is how my NV shafts are fitted he said and they play at 45".

blurry
8th April 2010, 05:59 PM
cheers daves

blurry
16th April 2010, 08:04 PM
back on the look out for a shaft , thanks to some very ordinary work by australia post ,,, what have you got?

Yossarian
16th April 2010, 08:08 PM
Grafalloy epic 65 R flex but plays firm.

blurry
18th April 2010, 08:34 PM
yoss , has the shaft been butt trimmed or tip trimmed , how do you want for it posted to sydney

moree golfer
18th April 2010, 10:02 PM
Try and find a Pro Launch Blue in 65 or 75 that hasn't been tipped. They have an extra inch on the tip which means you wouldn't have to worry about it playing too stiff.

I got a Prolaunch Blue 65 freshly extracted from my Adams Speedline this afternoon via low heat. Tip is in great nick. If you are interested I can take some pics this evening and send to you. PM with an email if you wish. Not asking a lot as it is surplus to my requirements.

golfrguy
20th April 2010, 06:12 PM
I am Just lining up a Graffaloy Epic Stiff in my 905T head that I extracted a broken Speeder from. Based on Verge's post I should insert it until I reach my desired length (45")...should I trim from the tip or the Butt? I don't want to make it too stiff so I am thinking the Butt is my better option...any thoughts?

When I extracted the old shaft a small hole melted out near the bore through end on the sole of the clubhead...Will this compromise the clubhead?? should I just fill it with 2 part putty I have laying around to seal it up again?

Thanks for all the info in this thread...Great input guys!

blurry
21st April 2010, 04:42 PM
trim from the butt , as the epic might not have enough parallel tip , you need at least 3.5 inches parallel tip I think

moree golfer
21st April 2010, 04:44 PM
Back OT :lol:, blurry I have the shaft ready to package and send if you still want it?

blurry
21st April 2010, 04:47 PM
I will take it moree, pm me details and ill transfer the funds tonight, cheers blurry

moree golfer
21st April 2010, 04:48 PM
I am Just lining up a Graffaloy Epic Stiff in my 905T head that I extracted a broken Speeder from. Based on Verge's post I should insert it until I reach my desired length (45")...should I trim from the tip or the Butt? I don't want to make it too stiff so I am thinking the Butt is my better option...any thoughts?

When I extracted the old shaft a small hole melted out near the bore through end on the sole of the clubhead...Will this compromise the clubhead?? should I just fill it with 2 part putty I have laying around to seal it up again?

Thanks for all the info in this thread...Great input guys!
Have a read of this thread...

How to reshaft a bore through head (http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/365674-how-do-you-reshaft-a-bore-through-head/page__p__2388545__hl__bore%20through__fromsearch__ 1&#entry2388545)

Yossarian
21st April 2010, 04:50 PM
yoss , has the shaft been butt trimmed or tip trimmed , how do you want for it posted to sydney

Um I don't think it has been trimmed at all. $75 posted to sydney.

moree golfer
21st April 2010, 04:51 PM
I will take it moree, pm me details and ill transfer the funds tonight, cheers blurry
PM coming.