PDA

View Full Version : more club making advice...

morgy
4th April 2010, 11:07 PM
Need some more advice on club making. I have a Ping shaft here that I pulled from a G10, I want to put it in a Titleist 909DComp. Obviously the taper sizes are different and the Ping Shaft is too fat to go into the Titleist Hosel....

What are the ramifications of me shaving some off the Ping tip to make it fit into the driver head? Will this work ok?

TheNuclearOne
5th April 2010, 12:13 AM
I'd be avoiding that at all costs. You will damage the graphite fibers and they will likely break down further but regardless the tip will be weakened and probably snap at some time. I've heard of people drilling out the hosel a bit but that's extreme to say the least.

Hux
5th April 2010, 07:19 AM
Yo could ream the hosel perhaps. Drilling is dangerous - they pul themselves down or run sideways - also not much chance of getting one the right size.
You have .065" of material to remove which is 2/5th of SFA. I doubt it would be hard to find a .350" reamer....cost @ $30+ depending on quality.

Then I just realised it a Ping shaft worth maybe $30. Sand the shaft tip if you really want to do it....what have you got to lose?? It is not as if you are playing with a $200 shaft is it!

TheNuclearOne
5th April 2010, 10:01 AM
The shaft could well hold up - it's an absolute lottery and the odd one will. Hopefully if it didn't a fellow golfer won't wear it and it'll land softly with no damage to the head. There'in lie the real risks.

LeftyHoges
5th April 2010, 10:32 AM
Sand the tip, you'll be absolutely fine. I do it all the time.

Tomson
5th April 2010, 12:24 PM
There is no problem to sanding it down. When you do it just make sure you do it in an even way and allow alittle room for some glue and make sure the tip is clean.

morgy
5th April 2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I ended up sanding it back last night as I had a round planned today. It worked perfectly! The shaft ended up going in snug and firm, and once i'd actually sanded it down it was clear there is no problem with this practice.

On a side note, I actually shot the best round of my life today partly using this club. Shot even par off a 15.5 handicap.... Ironically I drove the ball like shit so i'll probably pull the shaft again tonight :)

henno
6th April 2010, 06:50 AM
Conquered the game, huh. Time to move on to the next sport.

P.S. Well done.

Lucasto23
6th April 2010, 01:19 PM
Well done, henno is right leave while your ahead ;)

TheNuclearOne
6th April 2010, 04:58 PM
Even par off 16, jeeeeeeeez LOL. Was it stableford or stroke? Scary score that one.

razaar
6th April 2010, 05:17 PM
Scoring 16 under your handicap for 18 holes rings alarm bells to match Committees. Doesn't take long for the members to start pointing fingers and nodding heads whenever the subject is brought up. That is of course if it happened during the club comp.

TheNuclearOne
6th April 2010, 05:54 PM
Where is Jack?

morgy
6th April 2010, 11:22 PM
Haha, well it wasn't a competition round so I have nothing to worry about. Wish it was though, I could afford to drop a few shots. I played with a couple of Pros, one local and one from the US. Seeing their serious approach to the game encouraged me to take a little more time with my shots and it helped a lot! Plus, I didn't drink a six pack on each nine.

Back to normal today though. Shot 42 for 9 holes and missed every fairway, so I won't be quitting my job and seeking a tour card any time soon. Was good while it lasted though :)