PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Staff 88 Series Putters

WeekendHacker
29th March 2010, 03:25 PM
Anyone seen of used one of these? Was looking at the 8882 putter and was just wanting to see if there was any feedback at all from the members here.

razaar
29th March 2010, 03:46 PM
Grunt games a 8882 with the insert. Send him a PM.

just
29th March 2010, 03:49 PM
Ray
That's an 8862.
WH
I've tried the 8882 and it feels a bit harsh.

Moe Norman
29th March 2010, 08:20 PM
I have an 8802, nice putter if you have the stroke for a Blade

WeekendHacker
30th March 2010, 07:14 AM
I have an 8802, nice putter if you have the stroke for a Blade
Yeah I love the blade and my stroke is much better with a blade than with anything else. Currently use a Maxfli Australian Blade but as good as it looks behind the ball the weighting of it has never been its strong point. Had a Wilson blade about 10 - 15 years ago but have absolutely no idea what became of it and was looking to get back to one again as the weighting of them is very very good and they just feel superb in the hand.

razaar
30th March 2010, 07:32 AM
Where do you line the ball up when you putt with the Maxfi? In the centre of the face?

WeekendHacker
30th March 2010, 08:34 AM
Where do you line the ball up when you putt with the Maxfi? In the centre of the face?
No I have been using it for a few years now and have found that lining up about 1/3 in from the toe gives the best roll. Anything in the middle towards the heel feels like you are putting an orange instead of a ball.

razaar
30th March 2010, 08:48 AM
In my experience with all putters in this style, the sweetspot is located on the heel side of centre. The sweetspot is where the ball comes off the face the fastest. If you are not hitting putts off the sweetspot then they will lack the authority to keep the ball on line.

WeekendHacker
30th March 2010, 09:01 AM
In my experience with all putters in this style, the sweetspot is located on the heel side of centre. The sweetspot is where the ball comes off the face the fastest. If you are not hitting putts off the sweetspot then they will lack the authority to keep the ball on line.
The Australian Blade has a very short face. About 2/3 - 3/4 the face length of an 8802. With the Wilson I would line up with the ball as you say heel side of centre and this is indeed the sweet spot of that putter. With the Aussie Blade however with much practice and playing around with ball position it is more towards the toe than the heel to get a really good consistent roll on the ball.