PDA

View Full Version : Collateral damage

Ferrins
28th March 2010, 08:34 AM
Collateral damage is damage that is unintended or incidental to the intended outcome.

All right, what happened? Your performance evaluation. PE

Best destruction of your equipment during a round of golf. Perpetuated by yourself or another party.

Yesterday I manged to bend my SC Newport to about 12* of loft by dropping the ball and doing a cover drive. Instead of hitting the blade I hit the hosel and gave it a nice cavendish bend.

To add salt to the wounds scraped the new 5 wood on the cart path tossing it up onto the tee, losing some paint off the back.

PE.
I'm a f**king idiot. Drop hitting from the edge of the green is dangerous and possibly destructive to the playing service. While tossing a club a few feet onto the tee won't hurt anyone it is a bad breach of visual protocol.

jimandr
28th March 2010, 08:51 PM
mmm... I've done the putter cover drive quite a few times, but never damaged the putter, or anything else. Another player in my group once took out about a foot of green while doing it. Naturally, someone else then said "replace your divot". Now I think of it, I did once make an absolutely pure connection with one at Rosnay, hit a tree full on and rebounded the ball into Duck Creek. All I could do is laugh.

I snapped the shaft of my pitching wedge when I used slightly more force than usual (honestly) placing the club back in my bag. I've probably only thrown a club maybe a dozen times in 35 years of golf, but never really forcefully, and never caused damage. There was a legend at Port Kembla that the old guys told the juniors of a bloke who threw a club, and tore a rib muscle in the process, putting him out of play for six months. I don't know if it is true, though.

MegaWatty
28th March 2010, 09:06 PM
Playing in the Junior Champs at my club in Canberra many years ago I threw my ball in the air on the 12th green and made pure contact with the putter resulting in the hosel breaking and the head flying a good 15 feet in the air and almost landing on one of my playing partners head.

That sucked the Wang big time.

However I believe it may have made me go and buy my new putter which is still my beloved today. A good end to a shit moment.

Daves
28th March 2010, 11:12 PM
Collateral damage is damage that is unintended or incidental to the intended outcome.

All right, what happened? Your performance evaluation. PE

Best destruction of your equipment during a round of golf. Perpetuated by yourself or another party.

Yesterday I manged to bend my SC Newport to about 12* of loft by dropping the ball and doing a cover drive. Instead of hitting the blade I hit the hosel and gave it a nice cavendish bend.

To add salt to the wounds scraped the new 5 wood on the cart path tossing it up onto the tee, losing some paint off the back.

PE.
I'm a f**king idiot. Drop hitting from the edge of the green is dangerous and possibly destructive to the playing service. While tossing a club a few feet onto the tee won't hurt anyone it is a bad breach of visual protocol.

so if I want more loft on my Putter, you're available?

Not on the course, at the range. Off the mats one wet afternoon. Being LH was in a lefty bay, but on a dual (both LH and RH) mat. I did not notice but some stupid Right Hander had obviously used it and dragged the mat about a metre to their side. No issue till I swung the driver, an almighty clang on the back swing, WTF!?? Dragging the mat right had put the pole holding the roof in my backswing!, there is a big ding in the back of the that Head! F@#*wit!:smt013

markTHEblake
29th March 2010, 01:28 AM
On the 17th Hole at Gympie (probably now the 8th) with most of the management of Gympie golf club, the Pro, and several team members of both clubs watching, I missed a 3 foot put to win my match. I then picked the perfect opportunity to bury my putter into my toe, chickened out and missed, taking a rather large divot out of the green. My opponents caddie repaired the divot, i just looked on dumbfounded by my own stupidity.

Fortunately I still won, and the only repercussions was having to explain the incident to my captain, who put forward the apology on my behalf. I didnt even get censured.

I guess there is some benefit in being a decent usually well behaved 18yo kid from a respected golfing pedigree :-) That didnt last long though, but its still the dumbest thing i have done on a golf course though, even if there was nobody watching.

WBennett
29th March 2010, 08:35 AM
I bent a putter shaft baseball hitting the ball. I still keep the putter as a reminder of how stupid I was.

Best few I have seen was a bloke unload on his golf bag - whack, whack whack. Shame he was hitting his mobile phone inside the pocket... Expensive lesson.
My uncle had a mate who shoved forcibly his club into his bag, it rebounded into his face and chipped his tooth.
I have also seen a bloke pissed off with hitting a bad one with his (first round old) 3 wood hurl it at his bag and snap the shaft...

3oneday
29th March 2010, 08:38 AM
Last time I ever hit a ball away with a putter was with a Scotty. I middled it but it still added loft and changed the face angle.

I still have the putter but I don't have the yips anymore either ;)

Bushka
29th March 2010, 09:33 AM
Threw my driver forward into the fairway at Pelican Waters on the back 9 last xmas but missed left and actually couldn't find driver in bush's for a good ten minutes.

Didn't damage club but was bloody embaressing wandering around in dense QLD scrub looking for it.

Daves
29th March 2010, 09:36 AM
Threw my driver forward into the fairway at Pelican Waters on the back 9 last xmas but missed left and actually couldn't find driver in bush's for a good ten minutes.

Didn't damage club but was bloody embaressing wandering around in dense QLD scrub looking for it.

Villegas did that in a Tournament last year. Took him ages to find the club, funny as piss to watch!

sms316
29th March 2010, 11:39 AM
I saw Chrisogigolo throw a ball up and give it the baseball swing from the car park at Albury GC. The ball struck the shaft about an inch above the hosel and snapped a 3 day old Proforce shaft.

I've thrown 2 putters from the course on to neighbouring roads and watched as cars drove over them (1 Scotty and 1 Ping Anser 2).

Ferrins
29th March 2010, 11:42 AM
Your a tosser!!!!

sms316
29th March 2010, 11:43 AM
Did my fair share of racquet abuse in my younger days.

Ned
29th March 2010, 11:57 AM
Did my fair share of racquet abuse in my younger days.

http://thefoodinista.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/john_mcenroe_4.jpg

Daves
29th March 2010, 12:01 PM
Did my fair share of self abuse in my younger days.

:lol:

Dotty
29th March 2010, 12:09 PM
When having a muckaround at the local course in school holidays, I hit a 5 iron onto a buggy handle in frustration.
Learnt a couple of lessons in momentum, fulcrums and centrifical force. Another lesson in embrrassment and how much harder it is, with 25% less clubs to chose from.

A friend of a friend had expectations that exceeded his ability to pull the shot off. His bag suffered greatly.
Finally he had enough, and confided that he would quietly take the opportunity of a job relocation, to give up golf and go back to comp. tennis.

His farewell gift from his work colleagues? A golf bag. :lol:

sms316
29th March 2010, 12:14 PM
:lol:

Wanker!

Daves
29th March 2010, 12:16 PM
Wanker!

Isn't that what I said?:lol:

Tex
29th March 2010, 07:43 PM
I always get to the top of my club abuse back swing and find a moment of clarity. Maybe I have a problem with commitment.