PDA

View Full Version : Nike VR Str8fit driver

TheTrueReview
26th March 2010, 11:39 PM
Was having a look at one of these in Golf World today. It looks packed with technology and has an Aldila Voodoo shaft (apparently not a 'made for' shaft). Had a hit in the nets with it & felt alright but of course couldn’t see the ball flight so it’s nothing like testing on the range.

Has anyone here tested or bought the Nike VR Str8fit driver? Thoughts?

3oneday
26th March 2010, 11:42 PM
The shaft is an SVR6, so it's a made for (I have one here).

I love Nike drivers, but I haven't hit this one yet, mainly because all the reports state that they have done nothing to change the SUMO sound.

The non str8 is was a pearler though 8)

TheTrueReview
26th March 2010, 11:50 PM

I love Nike drivers, but I haven't hit this one yet, mainly because all the reports state that they have done nothing to change the SUMO sound.

Yes, I've read the reports also but I didn't have the same experience. I tried the Machspeed also - which didn't impress me. The Machspeed has the sumo like loud sound but I noticed the VR's sound was much better. More like a 'crack' than a Sumo's ear splitting 'ting'.

Hux
27th March 2010, 12:38 PM
Go the non STR8 version. Which has a real Project X graph shaft in it.

I am loving mine. The VR Tour is sweet sounding and not sure whether it is the shaft/loft change (gone up 1* in loft) or what(maybe just swinging better) but I am really launching this thing over the R9. Took out B grade LD yesterday at Coffs Harbour and was 2m behind the A grade LD :-)

sol381
28th March 2010, 09:15 PM
was thinking about picking one of these up; currently have the nike sumo. so you think the non str8 fit with the project x is superior? just curious as to whether you have tried both.. might have to rethink what i get.

Hux
28th March 2010, 09:24 PM
I think someone here has hit both and commented that the Tour sounds better and goes better than the STR8 version. I didn't try both. I see little benefit in the removeable shaft unless you want to toy around with shafts a lot. I have an R9 also and see the benefits :-)
However the Tour has the better shaft in it and is worth the extra $$ just to get it.

Lucasto23
28th March 2010, 10:15 PM
tour is way better sound sound than the str8 fit and shaft is way better in my opinion.
I have hit both and have the real deal voodoo VS in my driver and the nike version is not similar at all. Go the tour, the px shaft is impressive!!!

TheTrueReview
16th April 2010, 10:33 PM
Well, it looks like I will find out on the weekend. Have borrowed a demo VR Tour Driver (with px shaft ). Hopefully the dope who hangs onto the grip will do it justice.

TheNuclearOne
16th April 2010, 11:17 PM
I've heard a lot of good about these. Got me intrigued :twisted:

Hux
17th April 2010, 06:15 AM
TTR you will love it.

TheTrueReview
17th April 2010, 08:12 PM
TTR you will love it.

Had a belt with it on the range at Victoria Park today. Felt good. The shaft in the demo is the px 5.5 (regular) & loft-> 10.5. Unfortunately, I was on the top deck, so it was hard to gauge flight trajectory. I'll try & get out tomorrow & have a live hit. PM on its way Hux.

3oneday
17th April 2010, 08:56 PM
The 5.5's that Tomo ended up with CPM'd at 258 and 259, so that's a pretty solid reg I reckon ;)

virge666
18th April 2010, 08:54 AM
The 5.5's that Tomo ended up with CPM'd at 258 and 259, so that's a pretty solid reg I reckon ;)

That's 5.5 !!

Wow...

Hux
18th April 2010, 09:05 AM
Is that the graphite shaft out of a VR 3OD? TTR tells me his is marked Reg. I will have to check mine but I think its not marked other than 6.0 but never paid attention.
The 6.0 doesn't actually feel very stiff...less stiff than HD6, same as Kai Li.

TheTrueReview
18th April 2010, 09:09 AM
Shaft specs from the website -

http://www.royalprecision.com/royalprecision/projectx_graphite.asp

3oneday
18th April 2010, 10:49 AM
Is that the graphite shaft out of a VR 3OD?
yes it is, and both theirs had an R sticker on the head as well ;)

Hux
18th April 2010, 11:59 AM
Went and had a look...my PX is just marked 6.0.

Anyway at 258/9cpm those 5.5's are definitely a stiff shaft? Would the extra length mean the shaft plays a lot softer ie more head weight acting on the tip?

TheTrueReview
18th April 2010, 05:00 PM
Went and had a look...my PX is just marked 6.0.

Anyway at 258/9cpm those 5.5's are definitely a stiff shaft? Would the extra length mean the shaft plays a lot softer ie more head weight acting on the tip?

Hmmm, dunno. In any event, it's the same length as my Ping G10.

BrisVegas
19th April 2010, 08:52 AM
I had a few hits with a VR Tour with PX 6.0 on Saturday. My foursomes partner is a Nike fanboy. Not a bad club. Very nice shape and looks from address. The shaft looks classy and went ok. The 6.0 felt a little wippy to waggle (compared to what i'm used to) but the shot shape was pretty consistent. It must be fairly stable through the ball. Not bad at all Nike.

goonie
19th April 2010, 01:16 PM
I couldn't own a club with that huge STR8 hosel, I put the VR fairway wood on the ground and couldn't stop looking at the oversized hosel. Bloody terrible.

3oneday
19th April 2010, 01:19 PM
Does your ball get upset when it realises you don't look at it anymore ?

:lol:

goonie
19th April 2010, 01:55 PM
Does your ball get upset when it realises you don't look at it anymore ?

:lol:

Yes it gets very upset and tries to in the trees or in water :-)

TheTrueReview
26th May 2010, 07:27 PM
Well, after much testing, procrastination, prevarication & pontification, I settled on the Nike VR Tour driver. Picked it up this evening. 9.5 loft, px 5.5 shaft, 3 papers under the grip. Hopefully a practice round tomorrow arvo at Nudgee & putting it in play on Sunday.

3oneday
26th May 2010, 07:30 PM
Good choice, nice driver 8)

LeftyHoges
27th May 2010, 11:08 AM
Very interesting, True. Let me know how you get on....