PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a PS3 here?

andylo
18th March 2010, 05:16 PM
I suspect Fishy will have one...

Long story short, after a trip to interstate my wife accidentally discover the PS3 bundle with the "PlayTV" thingy will become a PVR (video recorder). Since our TopField PVR has burnt and crashed and buying a new PVR cost pretty much the same, we decided to buy one.

Christine's been using it exclusively for TV viewing/recording and I lack of the motivation to buy a game so far. But I figure it could do a lot more than just play game and watch/record TV, but I am just too inmotivated at the moment.

Just see if someone can kindly give me a prompt form on what it can do and it will be great.

- play game
- watch/record DTV
- connect to internet and got a browser I don't know how to use at all (and don't bother to figure out at the moment)

Thanks in advance.

Minor_Threat
18th March 2010, 06:07 PM
I have one mate.. About to head out for a couple of hours, but will answer your questions when I get back!

Fishman Dan
18th March 2010, 08:23 PM
Andy.. I'm really happy with my PS3.

It's a complete media device. Out of the box - Blu-Ray, games and photo's. A recent system update added ABC iView to the main PS3 interface (XMB). A massive selection of ABC's shows can be streamed within seconds. It does all of these things natively.

As you've done, adding PlayTV you get a PVR with all FTA channels available in your area. Pretty handy - about $150.
Add value to this by expanding the hard disk. It doesn't void your warranty, and the manual has the instructions on how to do it. I bought a cheap 320 Gb drive and threw it in there, so I can store entire series of TV shows, movies, kids shows etc - all available at the touch of a button - changing DVD's is a thing of the past. The process of ripping my daughters DVD's was time consuming, but well worth it.
The PlayStation 'Move' is the next addition to this console. Both Microsoft and Sony are putting pressure on Nintendo - these concepts will smash the Wii market. Check it out on YouTube.
If you have your library on a PC somewhere in the house, you can stream through your network to your TV (wired or wireless) using PS3 Media Server - a free 3rd party app on Mac or PC. It will stream anything, including 720p and 1080p to your HD TV via the PS3.

But the gaming is awesome. I was never a huge gamer, but there are some amazing games these days that are PlayStation exclusives. God of War III was released today, which has a massive cult following. My current favourite (in fact, the only thing I am playing) is Unchartered 2: Among Thieves. It's a first-person shooter, but not as full-on as Call of Duty of Battlefield - Bad Company 2. The biggest release on the console will be Gran Turismo 5 - if/when it ever comes out.

Check out the Gaming forums at Whirlpool, and read through the PS3 sub-forum. You'll get an idea about the things it can do outside of PlayTV and games.

Minor_Threat
18th March 2010, 08:33 PM
OK so what can you do with a PS3?

1. You can stream Music or Movies etc from your PC using PS3 Media Server (http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/) provided your PS3 and PC are on the same network.
2. I have expanded my PS3 Hard Drive to 400 Gig so you can store all / some of your Music and Movies.
3. You can surf the web, however the navigation and typing is quite clunky with a controller. If you are really serious you could get one of these wireless PS3 keyboards (http://reviews.cnet.com/keyboards/logitech-cordless-mediaboard-for/4505-3134_7-32319140.html)
4. Games - The primary reason most people get a PS3. If you like sports games you can get a lot of the superseded EA games for less than $40 e.g. FIFA '09, Tiger woods '09 etc.
5. Blu-Rays if you are into getting the best out of your Movies.

Note: I have read that Play TV cannot handle recording in HD and watching a seperate program. So it may be something you encounter as some stage, unless they have corrected it.

Fishman Dan
18th March 2010, 08:35 PM
MT - the EA Sports '10 range is now $49 at JB HiFi. They do it every year about this time, as Premier League, NFL, NHL and NBA all end around now.

Another plus for the Playstation Network (PSN) is that it's totally free, not a subscription service like XBL. Unchartered 2 online can be hilarious at times, there's a pretty good local community.

Minor_Threat
18th March 2010, 08:40 PM
MT - the EA Sports '10 range is now $49 at JB HiFi. They do it every year about this time, as Premier League, NFL, NHL and NBA all end around now.

Another plus for the Playstation Network (PSN) is that it's totally free, not a subscription service like XBL. Unchartered 2 online can be hilarious at times, there's a pretty good local community.Sweet mate.. Im still trying to finish Tiger '09 and FIFA '09. lol

Moe Norman
18th March 2010, 11:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0puP8nrIU8&feature=player_embedded

Fishman Dan
23rd March 2010, 10:45 AM
The PS3 has now incorporated "VidZone" - a small free add-on which allows you to view/stream or download music videos for free. I did a quick search, there are literally thousands upon thousands of songs. Using VidZone you can then tag and create playlists for use at any time.

I'm sure everything released by Sony Music is on there, but they even have some Sonic Youth songs. Bloody brilliant!

Fishman Dan
21st November 2010, 01:16 PM
It's officially official. Almost 3 years after I bought the PS3, the game at the centre of my decision is to be released - 25th November.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8WDpwuJmHY&feature=related

jaybam
21st November 2010, 01:39 PM
Next Thursday fishy. Same reason i bought one three years ago. Got the steering wheel unpacked out of storage and think i may take Friday off. Woohooo

Golfnut
21st November 2010, 01:47 PM
+1......apart from Bluray, GT5 was also my main reason for buying the PS3.....all the other excellent things it can do were an added bonus.

Now, just need to upgrade the HDD.......how's the PlayTV working out, those that have it?

MegaWatty
21st November 2010, 01:52 PM
PlayTV is OK. Still has a long way to go though. Good for a backup or to consolidate devices.

Golfnut
21st November 2010, 01:56 PM
Is it a hardware thing or software Mega?

MegaWatty
21st November 2010, 01:59 PM
Software is a bit buggy but it hasn't had an update for a while. They are pumping out heaps of different things for the PS3 but don't seem to be getting any of them perfect and then are taking their time getting updates out.

Fishman Dan
21st November 2010, 03:51 PM
I pulled up short of getting a PlayTV. I've been absolutely thrashing Call of Duty: Black Ops for a week though.

With the birthday yesterday I've got a JB's voucher waiting for GT5 release day ;)

Jarro
21st November 2010, 04:22 PM
You've got a woody now haven't you Dan ?

Golfnut
21st November 2010, 06:04 PM
Not that it matters much but what's the likely asking price for GT5 going to be Dan?

Moe Norman
21st November 2010, 08:44 PM
I'm not into car games, but that looks pretty sweet

Minor_Threat
21st November 2010, 08:49 PM
Im still tossing up whether to upgrade past 3.41 firmware.

AndyP
21st November 2010, 08:51 PM
Wouldn't it have been better to buy the PS3 once the game came out?

Fishman Dan
21st November 2010, 09:14 PM
You've got a woody now haven't you Dan ?

Affirmative! Bugger me.... people think I'm an Apple fanboy because I like their products. I'm much more of a PS3 fanboy by comparison!

Not that it matters much but what's the likely asking price for GT5 going to be Dan?

Don't know. There are 3 releases I think? Standard, Signature and Collectors. One of them is up near $300 for a toy car and a book or something, plus some unlock codes for other cars. I am guessing standard can be purchased for $79 with some crafty price-matching.

Im still tossing up whether to upgrade past 3.41 firmware.

I just read that it will ship with firmware 3.50 for reasons that are beyond me. Apparently to prevent torrents of the game floating around the internet.

Wouldn't it have been better to buy the PS3 once the game came out?

Simple solution to a simple problem. I would have had an issue then - I wouldn't have had a console to play Unchartered.

There was 'Prologue' (i.e. Sony talk for "Demo") that came out a long while back, which was a cut-down version of this game that sold like hotcakes. Since then there was an online live trial, in which the drivers with the top 20 times from around the globe were flown to Japan to drive a real GT car. One guy from Australia (posts at Whirlpool) made the cut.

990B Luva
22nd November 2010, 10:21 AM
GT5 standard for $77 at Hardley Normal! I can't wait until Thursday!

senecio
22nd November 2010, 11:19 AM
What wheels are everyone using on their PS3?

The Logitech G27 seems to be the bees neez, but I'm not paying that sort of money for one >$400. The next step down is the Driving Force GT that Dick Smith have advertised for $138 ($189 at JB Hifi). Is it any good?

Are there any alternatives (Madcatz, Thrustmaster) are names that come to mind.

Minor_Threat
22nd November 2010, 04:16 PM
Where do you guys have your PS3 setup to enable you to have a wheel and pedal arrangement? I have a some Logitech wheel and pedals for the PC, I wonder if that will connect to the PS3?

Fishman Dan
22nd November 2010, 07:10 PM
I don't have a wheel but I am strongly considering it. My problem is that I wouldn't know where to set up - I haven't got a coffee table or similar to put it on. Seems to be a lot of love for the DFGT judging by the Whirlpool GT5 threads.

Plenty of pre-order stock local to me, and I can't see any real benefit in the Signature or Collectors editions.

Minor_Threat
22nd November 2010, 07:26 PM
I'm the same I have no where for it, since the PS3 just lives in the loungeroom.

I found out I have a Logitech 'Momo' Wheel which I used for R-Factor on the PC, the consensus is about 50/50 whether it will work for GT5.

senecio
22nd November 2010, 08:15 PM
Bring back the NeGcon I say. These things were truly awesome for the first GT on the original playstation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeGcon

Dazza
23rd November 2010, 07:59 AM
I ordered the combo pack from Harveys. PS3 320gb with GT5 for $485.
PlayTv is on it's way courtesy of my FF points. Wouldn't mind getting a wheel, but have nowhere at present to set it all up.

Fishman Dan
23rd November 2010, 07:24 PM
There are these contraptions for those with limited space and resources to mount a steering wheel.

http://www.wheelstandpro.com/

Choppa
23rd November 2010, 09:04 PM
Ordered a set of Turtle Beach headphones this week. Been looking for something with all the bells and whistles for ages. Still didn't get it but way better than using a headset for voice and speakers for game sound.
Could knock something up for a lot of dollars probably using an Astro Gaming mixamp but it seemed too hard. FYI I am looking for a single headset for chat and game sound that is 5.1 and wireless.

What is everyone else using? Got the perfect set up yet?

Fishman Dan
24th November 2010, 08:30 AM
Choppa... I bought a Sharkoon X-Tatic headset. At about $200 they're cheaper than a lot of other 5.1 headsets. Problem with any Dolby headset is that you have cords everywhere including 2 power supplies - one for the amp box, one for the headset. I've got mine tucked away nicely so it's not terrible - but with the optical input the sound is exceptional.

I looked long and hard at the Turtle Beach, but at the time they weren't distributed in Australia, therefore no warranty to get them from the US (which in itself was a PIA).

Dazza
26th January 2011, 02:34 PM
PlayTv is on it's way courtesy of my FF points.

PlayTV was a bit of a flop for me. Some serious reception issues were encountered. Now before I start, I've had my Panasonic Plasma for over 12 months, with no reception issues whatsoever. The house we're currently living in is about 18 months old, so everything is relatively new aerial-wise.
First up, I split the coax with a cheapo splitter at the wall.... One going to Play TV, the other going to my Panasonic Plasma. Shows were glitchy on PlayTV, but fine on my plasma. I then did some research on the internets and others had mentioned that if I was using a cheapo splitter, I'd be better off plugging the splitter directly into the back of the PlayTV and running coax from there... didn't help.
So I removed the splitter, and plugged the coax from the wall socket straight to PlayTV.... Still glitchy! Bought some better Coax cables, didn't improve.
Went out and bought a powered splitter, same problem.... Fine through the plasma, but crap through PlayTV.
Finally had enough, went out this morning and purchased a Topfield TBF-7120 with a 320gb external hard drive. Not the flashest Topfield out there, but it'll do the job.
So far we're up to 2 hours of glitch free viewing!

MegaWatty
26th January 2011, 02:47 PM
Have you got the latest PlayTV update? The original software had issues with HD.

Dazza
26th January 2011, 02:52 PM
Have you got the latest PlayTV update? The original software had issues with HD.

Yeah, all updated at Christmas time. Issues with both HD and SD.

Dave
26th January 2011, 05:20 PM
Love my ps3, lined up the night it came out

jaybam
26th January 2011, 05:26 PM
Just doing an enduro on gt5. The Sebastian vetel red bull x2010 is an absolute weapon. 1500hp 545 kg.

Dazza
26th January 2011, 08:16 PM
Just doing an enduro on gt5. The Sebastian vetel red bull x2010 is an absolute weapon. 1500hp 545 kg.

Where do you find the Enduros? I assume they unlock once you've completed the Extreme level.
Have just started on Extreme in B Spec mode. Haven't played much A spec for a while.

jaybam
26th January 2011, 08:22 PM
Level 25 then enduros open up. Level 35 bspec you win the x2010.

Dave
27th January 2011, 03:03 PM
polished off assassins creed bortherhood last week, gameplay is still great but story was a bit meh

Dave
30th January 2011, 03:40 PM
NBA2k11 possibly the best sports game i've ever played and i'm not a big basketball fan