PDA

View Full Version : Australia invited to join Asian Group

Fishman Dan
24th March 2005, 08:30 AM
Australia will now be attempting to qualify for the Soccer World Cup as a member of Asia - but is this just a cop-out? Surely if we're in Asia, shouldn't New Zealand be as well?

That raises the question of the likes of the Pacific Islands, who let's face it, will never go to the World Cup Finals - but effectively this has killed off the Oceania group?

I guess New Zealand will now take the 1/2 spot each qualifying round, and then play the 5th placed South American team?

peter_rs
24th March 2005, 08:42 AM
As I understand it, its the winner of the Oceania group can go through asia. If its the quote in the paper the guy was just assuming Australia always wins the group.

I thinks its more a #### they just want another South American team in the world cup.

AndyP
24th March 2005, 09:16 AM
As I understand it, its the winner of the Oceania group can go through asia. If its the quote in the paper the guy was just assuming Australia always wins the group.

I thinks its more a #### they just want another South American team in the world cup.
I believe the Australian side has been given permission to join the Asia group, but is yet to get approval to leave the Oceania Group.
Therefore I would assume they would have a different qualification route.

Australia will now be attempting to qualify for the Soccer World Cup as a member of Asia - but is this just a cop-out? Surely if we're in Asia, shouldn't New Zealand be as well?
I don't think so.
You only get better by playing better sides. Which is why the Kiwis want to follow, as they will have no competition, if Australia leave.
It's all about strengthening Australian soccer for the long term.

Trung
24th March 2005, 09:42 AM
Its great for Australian soccer and it's great for me... :P .... There will be more "home games" at "home" (not in England) if we are in the Asian Group. Much better competition for Australia..

Japan, Korea etc. are much better opponents then The Solomons, NZ, etc....... :D . I love soccer. Thinking of going to the Iraq match but I was told I'm required at another place. 8) .

Spot the Ozgolfer in this picture... :wink:

http://img177.exs.cx/img177/3145/withthesocceroosatfootballstad.jpg

Fishman Dan
24th March 2005, 09:47 AM
Japan, Korea etc. are much better opponents then The Solomons, NZ, etc....... :D . I love soccer. Thinking of going to the Iraq match but I was told I'm required at another place. 8)

Should make for more interesting matches, and even though we might find it harder to qualify in the short term, there's definite long-term benefit playing the Asian countries - as we saw in the World Cup Finals, Asian soccer has progressed much further than we have.

peter_rs
24th March 2005, 10:45 AM
A-league is a step in the right direction- asia has improved so much because they keep there skilled young players to home and found people with big $$$ to support them.

NZ has no chance the Solomons can beat them, For that matter the Solomons have come close to our B teams at times.

Sorry wires crossed- I was thinking about Australias push for the direct qualification route or then to go through asia and not south america. In this case the 5th team from south america would always be south america not from Oceania(1st every 50 years)- You can not tell be that asia well be harder then south america.

There will be more "home games" at "home" (not in England)

We have never played a qualifier in england... friendless yes( :lol: sorry friendlys). We get offers of friendlys and invites to south america comps all the time. we just don't go because of $$$ needed, top players wont travel & saftey issuses.

Back to the issuse I don't think FIFA can allow australia to join asia because it would hurt the Oceania group to much. Hence the FIFA position of Oceania can qualify via asia (possible) (support by the powers of south america)[/quote]

peter_rs
24th March 2005, 10:48 AM
Its a long post I know- but soccer was my passion before golf :D

AndyP
30th March 2005, 11:26 AM
You can not tell be that asia well be harder then south america.
I had a little look into the qualification routes last night, after Australia's recent two friendly wins against Iraq (ranked 45th) and Indonesia (ranked 92nd).
Australia are currently ranked 59th.

Those who couldn't give a rats about soccer, stop reading now.

-------

As it currently stands, to qualify they have to beat a few Oceania sides in a round robin (most of who had to qualify through a previous round robin), then home and away matches against the runner up. The next highest ranked Oceanic side is New Zealand, ranked 98th.

Once past that, they play the 5th placed side in the South American qualifying. If we assume, that is the 5th ranked side, then it would be Paraguay (ranked 28th). A bit tougher opposition than the other qualification matches to date.

-------

If Australia go to the Asia group, it is a bit more complicated. Assuming the Asia qualification format doesn't change, this is what they would be up against. Only 4.5 teams qualify.
Summary:
Stage 1 - Some of the weaker teams play in a round robin to qualify for Stage 2. Australia won't need to do this.
Stage 2 - Teams split into 8 groups of 4 based on ranking. The winners of a round robin home and away series in each group go through to stage 3. The first hurdle for Oz would be winning one of these groups. As there ranking stands now, there are 11 Asian sides ranked above them, which means they would group with a higher ranked team. Right now, it would probably be Saudi Arabia (ranked 30th). Ideally they would want to be in the top 8 Asian countries, which is not out of reach considering Iraq is the 6th best.
Stage 3 - The winners of Stage 2, get put into 2 groups of 4, and play yet another home and away round robin series. The winners and runners up of each group directly qualify for the World Cup.
The teams who finish third in these groups play a home and away play-off (this would be teams like Iraq (45) and Jordan (42)) to then play-off against the fifth place American/Caribbean side, say Jamaica (41), for a place in the World Cup.

Phew! Analysis over.
(Maybe I am sicker than I thought, and should stay home another day. I've put too much into this.)

Anyway, via Asia, Australia get snotload more matches, and definitely more quality matches, instead of a one-off series against the 5th South American side, after playing crap sides, and trying to get form up by organising friendlies. Who has time for friendlies when you try to qualify via Asia.
It's probably not a harder route, as you aren't completely stuffed if you have a loss here or there.

BTW Asia are currently in Stage 3 now.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/releases/afc_preliminary_format_en3.pdf

Cheers
The Rainman

McMw
30th March 2005, 11:54 AM
Australia in the ASIA group makes a heck more sense than having Uruguay in the Oceania group...

who, btw, are contesting for the Euro cup....where's the sense?!?!? :roll:

Fishman Dan
30th March 2005, 12:43 PM
Australia in the ASIA group makes a heck more sense than having Uruguay in the Oceania group...

who, btw, are contesting for the Euro cup....where's the sense?!?!? :roll:

Uraguay (or "U-R-Gay" as Homer would say ;)) are part of the Sth American group, who get 4.5 places in the World Cup Finals - the Oceania group are allocated .5 - so to make up the final spot, the ".5's" of each group (5th placed Sth American, 1st placed Oceania) play off to make "1".

There are that many Sth American's playing in the Italian leagues (where there are very relaxed non-Euro player restrictions) that they could create another European team :roll: