PDA

View Full Version : Competition Format

drunken
27th May 2004, 05:29 PM
Just wondering what format most clubs play the comps as???
I think 9 out of 10 at my course are Stableford, which isn't exactly my favourite format. Something doesn't seem right about being able to throw a hole away :roll:

We have probably two stroke rounds a month (one being Monthly Medal) and maybe a 4BBB (usually in conjunction with a Stableford)

Anyways what do the rest of you normally play??

990B Luva
27th May 2004, 05:32 PM
mainly 4BBB

terryand
27th May 2004, 05:49 PM
Having 2 coarses therefore two comps each Saturday,we always have 1 4bbb and 1 single and on MM day both coarses are stroke.

Terry.

AndyP
27th May 2004, 05:54 PM
Mostly single stableford.

jaster
27th May 2004, 06:08 PM
Yep like most it is a Single Stableford :(

markTHEblake
27th May 2004, 09:06 PM
pretty much the same. Stableford is the go it speeds up play a lot.

Courty
27th May 2004, 09:47 PM
Monthly Medal is stroke, and the rest are usually stableford to keep the field moving quickly (like Blakey says) Once every now and then they will throw in a 4BBB. :?

goughy
27th May 2004, 10:00 PM
But you know that some 27 hc'er is finishing out every hole, even if it takes him 10 strokes.

Fishman Dan
27th May 2004, 10:19 PM
Most days played down here are usually a single stableford and a 2 ball - aggregate or best ball. Probably 25/75 respectively.

McMw
27th May 2004, 11:22 PM
stableford is faster???

I would have thought par was faster...at least you don't need to waste another couple of minutes on a 4 footer for a measly 1 pointer!!!

AndyP
28th May 2004, 07:18 AM
stableford is faster???

I would have thought par was faster...at least you don't need to waste another couple of minutes on a 4 footer for a measly 1 pointer!!!

Yeah, but who likes par?

Fishman Dan
28th May 2004, 07:46 AM
stableford is faster???

Yeah, but who likes par?

I'd rather finish a round '8 down' than on 20 points ;)

markTHEblake
28th May 2004, 08:00 AM
But you know that some 27 hc'er is finishing out every hole, even if it takes him 10 strokes.

then thats a job for his fellow players and then the match committee to give him a kick in the bum.

as for Par, yep its quicker, not many people like it but i do.

amanda
28th May 2004, 08:34 AM
Stableford most weekends with par once every two months. MM is stroke. For non-MM weeks, there is always a 2BBB event in conjunction.

McMw
28th May 2004, 09:01 AM
I prefer PAR too..."almost" as close to playing stroke...

Golfgirl
28th May 2004, 09:12 AM
My old club used to mix it up a bit, over the space of a month, we would have a MM (Stroke), Single Stableford, Single Par and a 4BBB either Stableford or Par. This was Tuesday which was the main Comp day. On Thursday, we used to have a lot more novelty events like, American and Canadian Foursomes, 4BBB, Ambrose, mixed in with Single Stableford and Pars.... Add in to the equation events like Club Champs, Matchplay Champs and Handicap Matchplay Champs, Foursomes and Mixed Foursomes, Chick of the Walk (4BBB Matchplay), and you begin to see that we had quite a variety of games to play.

Here it is so bloody disorganised that it is hard to say, but so far, we seem to be having a MM Stroke, a 4BBB, and a couple of Single Stablefords each month.... with the odd Single Par thrown in.

I personally don't care what the game is - I just want to get out there and play!

AndyP
28th May 2004, 10:00 AM
Fine, Par is a fantastic format. I don't know what I was thinking. :roll:

GG, what's Chick of the Walk? I saw Duck of the Walk or something like that on the Bonnie Doon honour boards and didn't know what it was.

Golfgirl
28th May 2004, 10:03 AM
Andy -

Chick of the Walk is 4BBB Matchplay.... and it is handicap matchplay at that!! Can get very confusing when you're playing a pair of high markers and you and your partner have both got to give them shots everywhere..... :? :lol: :lol:

AndyP
28th May 2004, 11:04 AM
Andy -

Chick of the Walk is 4BBB Matchplay.... and it is handicap matchplay at that!! Can get very confusing when you're playing a pair of high markers and you and your partner have both got to give them shots everywhere..... :? :lol: :lol:

Huh...? How does that work?

Golfgirl
28th May 2004, 11:18 AM
It is quite complicated....

The lowest marker in the group goes to scratch, and the difference between her handicap and the other players (including her partner) is given as shots according to the match index....

So:

Player A on 13
Player B on 20

Vs.

Player C on 22
Player D on 25

Player A has to go to scratch, and has to give 7 shots to her partner, Player B (so B gets shots on Match Index holes 1-7). Player C gets 9 shots and Player D gets 12 shots, (both according to the match index....)

Then they play matchplay.... so then if, for example, on the match index no. 1 hole, Player A and Player B both have a 4, and Player C and Player D both have a 5, then C & D have halved the hole with A, but B has won the hole for her team because she also gets a shot and has had a nett 3.

Simple, huh! :wink:

AndyP
28th May 2004, 11:23 AM
Makes perfect sense. 8)

Flowergirl
31st May 2004, 04:44 PM
It is quite complicated....

The lowest marker in the group goes to scratch, and the difference between her handicap and the other players (including her partner) is given as shots according to the match index....

So:

Player A on 13
Player B on 20

Vs.

Player C on 22
Player D on 25

Player A has to go to scratch, and has to give 7 shots to her partner, Player B (so B gets shots on Match Index holes 1-7). Player C gets 9 shots and Player D gets 12 shots, (both according to the match index....)

Then they play matchplay.... so then if, for example, on the match index no. 1 hole, Player A and Player B both have a 4, and Player C and Player D both have a 5, then C & D have halved the hole with A, but B has won the hole for her team because she also gets a shot and has had a nett 3.

Simple, huh! :wink:

I got lost after the "So" :oops:

Golfgirl
31st May 2004, 08:14 PM
Don't worry Flowergirl,

the only reason that I am so au fait with it is because as a ladies committee member, I had to referee a final last year... and there were some fairly large handicaps and much giving of strokes involved.... :shock: :wink: :lol: :lol: