PDA

View Full Version : First hit at my new club

LarryLong
17th March 2010, 08:50 AM
Well, I've finally taken the plunge. After a 10 month golfing lay-off due to baby duties I realised that I need to give myself a reason to play or I'm not getting anywhere near a golf course this year, so I joined up at Queenscliff Golf Club.

Booking in for my first comp round this weekend so that I can start getting cards in for a handicap. Feeling somewhat nervous because I don't know any of the members and I'm a bit of a shrinking violet, but I'm looking forward to it. It's been a long time since I've played comp golf (or any golf, actually) and I'm a bit rusty on the finer intricacies of etiquette and rules, so I'm hoping I don't make a complete arse of myself.

Any tips?

Minor_Threat
17th March 2010, 09:38 AM
Having been through this recently myself after about 4 years off I understand how you feel mate. My advice would be:

1. Just be yourself and play your normal game.
2. Try and play with as many different people as you can.
3. Go in for a drink after the game in order to show your face, get introduced etc.
4. If you dont know some rules or etiquette just ask.
5. Most importantly have fun, don't take it too serious.

All the best mate, I really like Queenscliff..

Fishman Dan
17th March 2010, 09:44 AM
10 months hey? I haven't played for over 2 months, with the potential to play this weekend. My local membership has lapsed... just another 8 months to go it seems!

With a 2 year old and one on the way it's funny how things change. Thankfully the wife has a friend coming over this weekend to play, giving me the clear conscience to go out and have a round.... that and I would rather be somewhere... no... anywhere else.

$20 says it will rain.

andigold
17th March 2010, 09:49 AM
Good work Larry, I'll look forward to an Ozgolf day at Queenscliff soon :)

Let the guys in your group know that you're a bit nervous and you'd appreciate their input as to your speed of play, etiquette etc. Most people are happy to help, expecially if they know it's welcome.

As MT said just be yourself, you're good company on the golf course and I'm sure they'll enjoy playing with you.

LarryLong
17th March 2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks MT and Andi, sounds like good advice.

Of course I'll be happy to host you up here for a hit once I'm established Andi - Queenscliff's not in the league of your home track course-wise, but the serenity is top-notch. I might take a turn at organising a failed OzGolf major. :)

10 months hey? I haven't played for over 2 months, with the potential to play this weekend. My local membership has lapsed... just another 8 months to go it seems!

I don't recommend it - I just went to the driving range and my swing feels terrible and I've got the flexibility of an 80 year old. Every follow through felt different. Most shots sliced about 20-30m, so I guess I'll just allow for it and hope for the best. :)

just
17th March 2010, 02:07 PM
Larry
Help me here, what kind of "baby duties" kept you from the golf course for ten months?

LarryLong
17th March 2010, 03:06 PM
Larry
Help me here, what kind of "baby duties" kept you from the golf course for ten months?

You ask a lot of personal questions, for a bloke who says we shouldn't give any personal information out. :razz:

Let's just agree that I'm soft and leave it at that. :)

Bushka
17th March 2010, 03:21 PM
If your playing this weekend you should at least do it somewhere that needs rain. It's a near guarantee after that long a layoff.

just
17th March 2010, 03:33 PM
You ask a lot of personal questions, for a bloke who says we shouldn't give any personal information out. :razz:

Let's just agree that I'm soft and leave it at that. :)
Larry
I'm not implying you are soft, although you clearly are:razz:, you're not the first to bring this up and I just don't understand. I have three kids under six and my wife is more than happy for me to play golf once a week.

Sydney Hacker
17th March 2010, 03:47 PM
Larry
I'm not implying you are soft, although you clearly are:razz:, you're not the first to bring this up and I just don't understand. I have three kids under six and my wife is more than happy for me to play golf once a week.

Wanna swap ?

sms316
17th March 2010, 03:51 PM
Larry
Agreed.

I bet Just doesn't stop his wife from doing the things she loves like doing the vacuuming, changing nappies etc.

Bushka
17th March 2010, 03:52 PM
I'm with Sydney Hacker.

Jarro
17th March 2010, 03:58 PM
Good luck LL, changing clubs is a big thing (i'd imagine)

Just be yourself and play as you normally would and i'm sure you'll have tons of new golf buddies before too long at all 8)

LarryLong
18th March 2010, 07:16 AM
Cheers Jarro.

If your playing this weekend you should at least do it somewhere that needs rain. It's a near guarantee after that long a layoff.

Yeah, that's true. :) Thanks for the tip - I'll be the only guy on the course with an umbrella.

Larry

Every family is different. Count your blessings. :)

Maybe your wife just doesn't like you? :razz:

IanO
18th March 2010, 11:59 AM
I had 18 yrs away from golf due to young kids, work, travel (just call it stupidity). Anyway I have been back playing for nearly 2 years now and my new wife ( 5 years ) is just getting used to me heading off every weekend ( and every other chance I get :D )

The advice given above about playing with lots of different people and hanging around for a drink really helps you to fit in. The only other advice I would give is to find a social group to play with.

just
18th March 2010, 12:08 PM
Every family is different. Count your blessings. :)
I do.

Maybe your wife just doesn't like you? :razz:
Could be on to something there.:-k

Anyway good luck with it all, Larry. Enjoy.

Toolish
18th March 2010, 01:40 PM
Nice enough course, tough when the wind blows...and be careful of the drive in!

I remember losing on the 21st there in pennant...after showing up on the tee 10 seconds before I was needed.