PDA

View Full Version : Henno's club matchplay final

henno
16th March 2010, 08:53 PM
I have somehow lucked my way into the matchplay final at Pacific with a string of good rounds. It's a 36-holer to be held in mid-April and I wouldn't mind a bit of (un)friendly advice from a few of the more seasoned golfers. Here's a few questions:

1. I have never played more than 18 holes in a day outside of drunken social rounds at resort courses in carts (read: the golf is secondary to the drinking). Never a comp/match/tourny type arrangement. Should I get a cart for the first 18, the second 18, the whole 36 holes, or not at all? (I usually carry, and tend to play better golf when doing so.)

2. I have had offers from a few people to caddy for me. I find it sort of odd to have a caddy considering my skill level, so should I turn them down? Or just say yes for someone to tag along for the day and provide moral and mental support?

3. If I am lucky enough to win, what am I obliged to give said caddy? (Is a feed an a healthy supply of beers enough?)

4. What's the best way to maintain energy and mental focus for 9+ hours of golf? I consider myself a reasonably fit lad, but I have never had to concentrate on the game of golf for that long, nor have I been forced to maintain some resemblance of a usable swing for 36 holes.

Help a newbie out.

henno.

3oneday
16th March 2010, 09:03 PM
1) Can you play in cart in a match play final ? Play golf man. Pace yourself, you'll likely play in a twosome, you will hit the wall at some stage so make sure there is food available.
2) take a caddy, one that doesn't annoy you.
3) a handshake and a beer, or if it's your girlfriend, whatever she wants ;)
4) concentrate when you have to, watch the birds (even the fat ugly ones) and talk to your caddy about everything BUT golf. Switch on wen it is your turn to play.

Congrats on making the final 8)

henno
16th March 2010, 09:05 PM
The only reason I know we can have carts in the final is that it was cancelled last week due to the rain. They still played golf, but no carts were allowed on the course and it was deemed unfair to the old buggers in the matchplay semis that can't walk 9-holes let alone 36. I thought that was fair enough.

markTHEblake
16th March 2010, 09:14 PM
1. Should I get a cart for the first 18, the second 18, the whole 36 holes, or not at all? (I usually carry, and tend to play better golf when doing so.) No Idea. however dont share the cart with your opponent. Also consider the tactical options that if your opponent is in a cart and you are not, if he appears the impatient type, then you can work that to your advantage because you have no obligation to walk as fast as he drives.

2. I have had offers from a few people to caddy for me. I find it sort of odd to have a caddy considering my skill level, so should I turn them down? Or just say yes for someone to tag along for the day and provide moral and mental support? Caddies are great but one thing I always had a problem with is if the caddy is a better golfer than me (or about the same) it does intimidate me a bit as I am thinking of how embarrassing it is if i hit a poor shot. You may or may not think the same way, but seeings you never had a caddy before it might not be wise if you are a psychological basket case like me.

3. If I am lucky enough to win, what am I obliged to give said caddy? (Is a feed an a healthy supply of beers enough?)
They asked you - give them nothing. Lunch and as much to drink as you do.

4. What's the best way to maintain energy and mental focus for 9+ hours of golf? I consider myself a reasonably fit lad, but I have never had to concentrate on the game of golf for that long, nor have I been forced to maintain some resemblance of a usable swing for 36 holes.

Not my area - i use an electrolyte replacement drink for golf, but i reckon Razaar is your man for that question.

For mental focus, keep happy thoughts, get a good song in your head and sing it all day. And walk happy, none of this shoulder shrugging crap, chin up, chest out and swagger!

henno
16th March 2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the tips, Blakey. I know my opponent will be in a cart for the entire 36 holes, he has already mentioned it to me. In a normal comp I usually "make haste" when walking to keep up with the cart drivers; I'll have to remember to walk at a steady pace and conserve energy.

Also, I'm a certified chopper so any caddy is generally going to be a better golfer than me. The people that have offered have seen henno at his horrible worst. I don't think there is much more to be embarrassed about. I just need a mental coach to talk me out of "hero shots" (or talk me into them when they're genuinely needed) and to keep me from throwing the game away should I find myself 5-down through 6 with another 30 holes to go.

Courty
16th March 2010, 09:31 PM
I have somehow lucked my way into the matchplay final at Pacific with a string of good rounds.

You seem to have caught what Haysey had. A lack of self-belief! Stop selling yourself short and believe in your ability. The rest is mere details.

And on point 4, the pros all seem to carry protein snacks in the form of muesli bars and packets of nuts, and sometimes fruit. I would think that if there was anything better than that, they would be eating it already.

Minor_Threat
16th March 2010, 09:44 PM
Ditch the caddy idea mate and just continue doing what has made you get this far. I find it strange you are allowed a cart in a club matchplay championship, so you need to weigh up whether a cart will be beneficial in terms of saving energy or detremental in terms of not giving the normal time between your shots to think / relax etc.

If you go for a caddy, you don't owe them shit, its Club Matchplay FFS.. Not Accenture World Matchplay!

In terms of stamina for 36 holes, keep drinking fluids (water is best), bananas, apples, sandwiches (Good Food - No heavy crap like pies, hotdogs, chips etc)

henno
16th March 2010, 09:51 PM
Ditch the caddy idea mate and just continue doing what has made you get this far. I find it strange you are allowed a cart in a club matchplay championship, so you need to weigh up whether a cart will be beneficial in terms of saving energy or detremental in terms of not giving the normal time between your shots to think / relax etc.

I'd prefer to walk, but I don't want to be 27 holes in and just run out of puff entirely. Maybe I should just back myself to be able to walk it all. Borrowing a push buggy might be the happy medium.

Grunt
16th March 2010, 09:52 PM
As a fellow hacker whilst playing C grade pennants I had a good mate as a caddy that knew my game pretty well he knew when to say something and when not too. He knew when to pull in the reigns when I was about to make a glory shot but also knew when to let me go when it was appropriate. Do you have a mate you play regularly with?

Most of all enjoy the day, if you made it this far you have done well.

Good luck with it mate.

Courty
16th March 2010, 09:56 PM
You can get around the fatigue factor by winning 19/17. ;)

Minor_Threat
16th March 2010, 09:57 PM
You can get around the fatigue factor by winning 19/17. ;)Thats what I was going to say Courty.. You should have it wrapped up by 27!

henno
16th March 2010, 10:02 PM
You can get around the fatigue factor by winning 19/17. ;)

Thats what I was going to say Courty.. You should have it wrapped up by 27!

Good idea! I have been 6-up and 7-up through nine of both the quarters and the semis. I think my tactic of starting strong is working. :-D

Johnny Canuck
16th March 2010, 10:08 PM
I have somehow lucked my way into the matchplay final at Pacific with a string of good rounds. It's a 36-holer to be held in mid-April and I wouldn't mind a bit of (un)friendly advice from a few of the more seasoned golfers. Here's a few questions:

1. I have never played more than 18 holes in a day outside of drunken social rounds at resort courses in carts (read: the golf is secondary to the drinking). Never a comp/match/tourny type arrangement. Should I get a cart for the first 18, the second 18, the whole 36 holes, or not at all? (I usually carry, and tend to play better golf when doing so.)

2. I have had offers from a few people to caddy for me. I find it sort of odd to have a caddy considering my skill level, so should I turn them down? Or just say yes for someone to tag along for the day and provide moral and mental support?

Help a newbie out.

henno.

1) Can you play in cart in a match play final ? Play golf man. Pace yourself, you'll likely play in a twosome, you will hit the wall at some stage so make sure there is food available.
2) take a caddy, one that doesn't annoy you.
3) a handshake and a beer, or if it's your girlfriend, whatever she wants ;)
4) concentrate when you have to, watch the birds (even the fat ugly ones) and talk to your caddy about everything BUT golf. Switch on wen it is your turn to play.

Congrats on making the final 8)

Exactly as 3 said.

1) I've walked in all my match plays, if you're comfortable doing that, do it.

2) Take the caddy. It makes a huge difference not having to worry about pushing/carrying/stuffing around with a bag. However, make it clear at the start that you only want advice WHEN YOU ASK FOR IT. Read all the greens yourself and trust yourself. Only ask for a read if unsure or you feel the need for confirmation.

3) I've always supplied my caddy with beer. He's a drunk, so it's easy.

4) I only concentrate when getting ready for the shot, working out yardage, etc. Stick to your normal pre-shot routine. Do not change this at all.

In between shots I chat with my caddy, my opponent (unless he is having a shocker hole/holes then I left him suffer in silence and beat himself up), the gallery (if they come out to watch).

Relax, play the shots you normally would and have fun. Don't let the fact that it is a final influence one single shot.

Eag's
16th March 2010, 10:21 PM
All very good advice above henno, the only thing I would add is to treat this match just like the others, just because it is the final does not mean you should change your approach in any way.
In your case I would definitely opt for a caddy, just in case you have (what PeteyD likes to call) a custard head attack ;)

markTHEblake
16th March 2010, 10:23 PM
and to keep me from throwing the game away should I find myself 5-down through 6 with another 30 holes to go.

This is hard to explain correctly but i will give it my best shot.

Its taking me a long time to realise this, but it only caught on when i had a few consecutive matches against golfers that were too good for me, I went into these games knowing that it was quite unrealistic to expect to win, and even when i got 1, 2, or 3 up, I made sure that I didnt assume I was going to win, because i knew that such a margin was irrelevant against such formidable opponents. The result was that I won most of those matches, and also a few more recoveries after a losing a few holes at the start, by applying the same thought processes.

Some might misinterpret that as having a defeatist attitude, but thats not what I am saying all. Just realise that the moment you assume in a match that you will win or lose, you will lose. Do not assume the result until the handshake has been done, I speak from experience, because that is exactly what i did on several occasions, started practising me victory speech way too early. Lets see
5 up after 9, lost 5 in a row, but still won, got lucky cos he tanked.
5 up after 7 missed a gimme on 8 to go 6 up, then lose 8 holes in a row.
4 up after 9, 4 under off the bat, 3 footer on 10 for a birdie, lost 6 holes in a row.

And i watched a bloke win a match after being 5 down with 5 left. His opponent looked defeated even with two holes left. I bet my bottom dollar I know what the loser was thinking on the 14th tee.

Some people say to not focus on the score, but that is not quite right, you have to know what the score is, you just keep the score in the bank. Matchplay golf is not like some one sided cricket matches where the batting team just bats out the loss. While you are on the course you can still win or lose regardless of the margin, do not forget that.

henno
16th March 2010, 10:32 PM
1) I've walked in all my match plays, if you're comfortable doing that, do it.

I have never walked 36 holes. I almost always walk 18 holes though so I guess my question is, is the second 18 much more difficult to walk than the first? If not, I'd rather stick with what I know. If the caddy is pushing my bag around it should be somewhat easier that carrying.

In your case I would definitely opt for a caddy, just in case you have (what PeteyD likes to call) a custard head attack ;)

Exactly what I am trying to avoid. Like I said, if I'm 5 down through 6 I need someone to remind me that there's 7 hours of golf yet to come.

Do not assume the result until the handshake has been done, I speak from experience, because that is exactly what i did on several occasions, started practising me victory speech way too early... While you are on the course you can still win or lose regardless of the margin, do not forget that.

Thanks Blakey. The general consensus seems to be "play your own game the best you can no matter how far ahead or behind you are". I need to write that on my wrist or something.

BrisVegas
16th March 2010, 10:35 PM
stick to walking henno. It's good for your rhythm. Don't worry about fitness. If an old fat **** like me can walk 36 holes, a skinny young runt like you can do it easy. Do what Minor Threat said and drink lots of water and eat plenty of healthy food.

Good luck.

Johnny Canuck
16th March 2010, 10:55 PM
I have had no probs with 36 holes, except the time I thought it was a great idea to carry in 38* heat.

Stay hydrated and eat small things throughout the round, you'll be fine with the walk.

Lucasto23
17th March 2010, 11:38 AM
Good luck henno, you can DO IT.

lucky
17th March 2010, 12:04 PM
Congrats on making the final.

A tough ask for anyone to carry their bag for 36 holes. Take your pull buggy for sure, and grab a caddy if someone is offering, just for the fun of it and to have a chat to a mate along the way - even if they only help for a few holes it will keep you fresher and more relaxed.

Good luck.

Eldrick
17th March 2010, 12:27 PM
congrats and good luck
remember He may be expecting you to lose more than he is trying to win it
if that makes sense

rodders
17th March 2010, 04:22 PM
Congrat's Henno.

I know of a bloke called Stevie Williams who caddies- he's not doing anything at the moment and he could rough the other guy up for you at the same time.

He'a a kiwi as well so you can probably short change him as a bonus.

Ned
17th March 2010, 06:12 PM
Take Razaar as your caddie!!!!!!!!!! (No not joking)

Or if you want a dwinking session, get Fat Guts Clarke to drive the mobile esky!!!!

markTHEblake
17th March 2010, 06:20 PM
I cant imagine why i didnt think of this before. Get Michelle to caddy for you, but ensure that she dresses appropriately. You dont want your opponent have his mind taken off his game all day.......

Jarro
17th March 2010, 06:33 PM
... or get SMS caddy for you and have him dress appropriately ;)

Good luck Adrian :)

mike
17th March 2010, 07:12 PM
Win more holes than your opponent.

It's that simple.

mike
17th March 2010, 07:15 PM
And if you prefer walking to carting, walk. Don't rush for his sake.

henno
17th March 2010, 08:27 PM
Is this final going to effect the Oz masters at bribie on the 10th ?...and our matchplay.

Nope. This is on the 18th.

kpac
17th March 2010, 08:42 PM
I'd take the caddie if they were;
a) good bloke
b) easy to talk to
c) have a pretty good idea of your game or played with you atleast a couple of times.

I've been lucky enough to havea couple of caddies with course experience and it is amazing how helpfull it can be esp when you've got yourself in the shit, they can take you mind off the bad shot and get you focussed on how to get out of where you now are. I also accepted an offer by a youngster to caddie for me at an overseas course, and he was nothing but a pest as only interested in the cash and the good golfers - ie not be. So be sensible in whom you choose.

36 holes no harder that 18 i dont recon, once you've done 18 you're warmed up and ready to go.

Yossarian
17th March 2010, 08:58 PM
Use boobs as your swing thought. Works for tiger.

Good luck mate just keep doing what you've been doing and you will kill him!

AndyP
17th March 2010, 08:59 PM
Sorry henno, I'm not available to caddy.

I know you are good enough to win. I hope you do. Best of luck.

Hux
17th March 2010, 11:14 PM
Mate congrats on hitting the finals for starters. Well done.
Firstly your caddy if you chose should really be just that conscience saying....risk/reward.
Caddy'd get 10%. So if you drink 10 beers they get one. Works really well as you have both a caddy and a driver to get you home after the win :-)

Ride or walk. Play yourself in by walking the first 18 then take a cart the next 18. However, you can alway let your caddy drive and you walk beside it if you feel that is better for you to think or NOT think.

razaar
18th March 2010, 12:17 AM
Just saw this thread Adam; well done lad. Bloody hell, 36 holes around Pacific will be an experience. Do you have to give him shots or is it the other way around?

digby
18th March 2010, 12:19 AM
Congrats on making the final...give it heaps & enjoy yourself.

Ok here is my Matchplay advice...I am currently a 16 handicapper & don't profess to be a golf guru, but I love playing matchplay, I played pennant for Redland Bay in 2008, I was undefeated in 8 rounds, eliimination & semi finals but the team lost our semi so didnt get to play the final & in 2009 season the same deal except I lost 1 match in the rounds & to top it off I won our 2009 C Grade Club Matchplay Championship when i was playing off 19, having said all that none of my matchplay games have only been 18 holes & never been 36 holes.

The best advice i was given before the 2008 pennant season was to keep my sugar level & hydration up, I was told ( by a pro I get lessons off ) to eat a bananna on the 5th hole, then eat another one on the 12th hole. The other advice was to drink/sip 2 x 600ml of water or gatorades each 9 holes or if you like 1 bottle of water & 1 gatorade per 9 holes. You might not feel you need it, but I was assured that my body would need it & that with better hydation my mind would be less fatigued too & that my thought processes & decision making would be much clearer & sensible. Obviously stay away from coke & choclate they give you highs & lows. I know this might sound like pedantic sort of over the top crap....but hey its worked for me so I cant knock it.

As far as a caddy goes, in our club & also pennant you are allowed a cart but you must offer your opponent the opportunity to ride with you, if he says no then you are all good, but if he says yes he rides with you.....but just consider this.....do you really want to be stuck sitting side by side pretending to be nice to in a cart all day with some bastard whos ego & reputation you are trying to destroy?????

Our club insisted for pennant we have a caddy & every pennant game i played i did have a caddy & walked & my caddy pulled my clubs....walking without pulling my buggy also made a huge difference to my energy levels & state of mind, there were times when in pennant my opponent offered me a cart ride so here is the tricky bit......... what I did was say yes, put my clubs on his cart & then me & my caddy walked the course, I found it great, time to wander along take in the atmosphere & think about the next shot or talk about anything that popped into our heads without worrying about pulling clubs...infact my opponent became my caddie.....if you want to be a hard sod on him occasionally make a club selection let him drive off to his ball then yell out to him to drive back to you as you need a different club....a nice tactic to distract him from his own game....I know I am not a nice person.....
So really my advice re caddy is yes yes yes get a caddy........

Well thats about all....good luck, eat 4 banannas every 18 holes ( i assume you will get a lunch break between rounds ), drink lots of water &/or gatorade & let someone else pull your clubs wether it be your own caddy or your opponent & go hard...

henno
18th March 2010, 08:55 AM
Bloody hell, 36 holes around Pacific will be an experience. Do you have to give him shots or is it the other way around?

It sure will be an experience. Good thing it's not very hilly! :-s
And there are no shots given, it's off the stick.

Digby, thanks for the pointers. Although I don't think I could eat that many bananas in a day; I think a combination of bananas and muesli bars will be the go.

Ned
18th March 2010, 08:58 AM
Cobra S9-1 10.5 deg
Cobra Baffler TWS 2
Cobra Baffler DWS 4
Titleist AP1 5,6,7,8,9,P,W
Vokey 56 deg
Scotty Cameron Studio Select

You're not related to Hux are you ? :shock:

Daves
18th March 2010, 09:08 AM
It sure will be an experience. Good thing it's not very hilly! :-s
And there are no shots given, it's off the stick.

Digby, thanks for the pointers. Although I don't think I could eat that many bananas in a day; I think a combination of bananas and muesli bars will be the go.

Bananas and plenty of water are very good. Get smaller bananas if you can find them, more bite size and easier to have regularly during the round as Digby suggests. Great energy food and plenty of Potassium which apparently helps you maintain your attention/concentration.

Oh, and welcome Digby!

razaar
18th March 2010, 09:38 AM
I'll be in Canberra that week Adam, otherwise I would have walked around with you. Not much I can add to what the other lads have said except eat plenty of complex carbs and drink litres of water the day before to get the glycogen in the muscles (and head) before the match. What you eat and drink on the day will replenish what your body is using.

36 holes of matchplay is a marathon, it should be lots of fun if you let it be. Just remember tension is your enemy - the more relaxed you are on the day the bigger chance you will come out on top.

Good luck mate.

Johnny Canuck
18th March 2010, 12:58 PM
Don't hesitate to have a beer or bourbon if things aren't going well. I used to do it in pennants, works a treat.

henno
17th April 2010, 05:35 PM
This thing's on tomorrow and after all of the yapping about caddies, I'll be caddyless. It's going to be a long day playing 36 holes against a guy that's completely deaf in one ear and almost deaf in the other. Not to mention the fact that he is in a cart with his caddy. I wonder if it's poor form to bring an iPod. 10 hours of golf might get a little tedious after a while.

Eag's
17th April 2010, 05:37 PM
Have a beer every hour and you can entertain yourself ;)
Good luck by the way.

haysey
17th April 2010, 05:54 PM
Good luck Henno.

TheNuclearOne
17th April 2010, 06:12 PM
Good luck. If i was 600km closer i'd definitely do an 18 for ya.

kingslayer33
17th April 2010, 06:16 PM
Good luck. If I was 2500km closer i'd do the other 18 for you.

Hawkers2008
17th April 2010, 06:19 PM
Well good luck. I am looking forward to your report.

TheNuclearOne
17th April 2010, 06:20 PM
Hahahaha, nice one.

Grunt
17th April 2010, 06:28 PM
Best of Luck Henno. Remember to have fun. That is one thing the caddy could have helped with as a fellow hacker.

Jarro
17th April 2010, 06:30 PM
Good luck Henwah ...

.. and FFS, fix up that big signature will you :roll:

henno
17th April 2010, 06:38 PM
.. and FFS, fix up that big signature will you :roll:

Done, just for you jarro. ;-)

Jarro
17th April 2010, 07:37 PM
Like your work :mrgreen:

Ned
17th April 2010, 07:59 PM
Calling Caddy Huxtable!

Courty
17th April 2010, 08:42 PM
Good luck, Henno! Do it for the narwhals!

henno
17th April 2010, 08:46 PM
Do it for the narwhals!

Use the narwhal force? It's like midichlorians for cetaceans.

(Could that sentence get any nerdier?)

Courty
17th April 2010, 08:48 PM

Nope. :lol:

BrisVegas
17th April 2010, 08:57 PM
Kick his arse henwah.

KristianJ
17th April 2010, 09:03 PM
Use the narwhal force? It's like midichlorians for cetaceans.

Is that Viagra for whales? :-k

ParMaster
17th April 2010, 09:39 PM
You can do it Henno!

Minor_Threat
17th April 2010, 09:52 PM
All the best Henno..

ddasey
17th April 2010, 10:02 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ZLVMoQ-0U2V1xM:http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn76/CmdZoidberg/Miscellaneous/Waterboy_2.jpg (http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn76/CmdZoidberg/Miscellaneous/Waterboy_2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://forums.n4g.com/m705239.aspx&usg=__RHWcoyxlTRoTe2qpGGhuL9LtJMU=&h=260&w=446&sz=17&hl=en&start=5&sig2=zcjmLWleDU9KV9EPgBBj9A&itbs=1&tbnid=ZLVMoQ-0U2V1xM:&tbnh=74&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dyou%2Bcan%2Bdo%2Bit%2Bwaterboy%26hl%3 Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=CqPJS5HfD5Lc7APChdHxAg)

LeftyHoges
17th April 2010, 10:52 PM
Henno, you should be in bed by now resting up, so good luck for tomorrow.

It's all been said, but hydration and nutrition are vital! And staying out of your own head is important too.

The best piece of advice I can give that hasn't been given already is to expect your opponent to hit every drive while, stick every shot close & hole every putt. That way when he doesn't it's a pleasant surprise and if he does you don't have to pick yourself up from the unexpected.

And remember, it's 36 holes so there is plenty of chances to make up lost shots. Play your own game, play safe and think about anything but golf as you walk between shots.

Best of luck Henno!!!

AndyP
18th April 2010, 10:06 AM
This won yet?

I hope you are doing the job right now, henno.

Eag's
18th April 2010, 10:07 AM
Not exactly ideal golf weather today.

PeteyD
18th April 2010, 11:54 AM
Won't bother the Hennonator.

Yossarian
18th April 2010, 01:00 PM
good luck mate!

sms316
18th April 2010, 02:50 PM
This won yet?

henno
18th April 2010, 04:41 PM
Here's a full report.

I lost.

Shit sucks.

zacdullard
18th April 2010, 04:48 PM
Bad luck Henno, well done on making it that far.

Daggs
18th April 2010, 04:55 PM
Firstly congrats for getting there , and commiserations for today, hope you told him it wont happen again and youll slam him next time.:smt023

Hux
18th April 2010, 04:57 PM
Damn what happened? Knocked up on the 36 holes of golf or did it just get away from you?

Jarro
18th April 2010, 05:00 PM
It's all a learning curve young grasshopper ;)

Bad luck by the way :(

henno
18th April 2010, 05:02 PM
It was there to be won, I just threw away chances (like sending 3-foot putts for the win 5-feet past the hole and missing the one coming back). I'd do a proper report, but I don't have it in me this evening. Chipping and putting were an issue. An issue brought about by the fact that I was missing greens from hitting everything too long. 4-iron 200m through the green, 6-iron 180m through the green, 9-iron 130m into a howling wind but still airmailed the green and onto the cart path and then OOBs on the 4th. Plus it rained. And there was no drinks cart out. And I was on my own. Talk about a draining, tedious day. I'm done. Time to smash another beer.

henno
18th April 2010, 05:04 PM
I lost 4/3, for the history books.

TheTrueReview
18th April 2010, 05:06 PM
... Time to smash another beer.

I'm with my friend, Stella Artois atm. Hopefully, you're with a relative of her's.

henno
18th April 2010, 05:12 PM
One interesting stat:

5th hole 1st round: 4 down.
18th hole 1st round: square.
5th hole 2nd round: 4 down (which became 5 down)

Something tells me holes 1-5 could have been a problem for me. There were no birdies on those holes either. I just couldn't get par.
Ironically, I played the 11th even par over the day. (If you know me, you know my issues with this hole.)

Courty
18th April 2010, 05:14 PM
Commiserations, Henno.

Put it down as a learning experience and come back next year with a vengeance!

Daggs
18th April 2010, 05:17 PM
I lost 4/3, for the history books.

Thats not a bad fight under the circumstances , 36 holes is a f***** big ask on your own.
I raise my can of frothiness to you.... no shame in that mate ..

AndyP
18th April 2010, 05:25 PM
Time to smash another beer.
And another and another.

Commiserations, mate. Assess your game ASAP, note where you could improve, move on.

Grunt
18th April 2010, 06:27 PM
good effort for a 36 hole event. I will have a beer for you as well.

LarryLong
18th April 2010, 06:32 PM
There's always next year. Or the one after. Or the one after that. :)

Second place is a pretty good result first up though.

BrisVegas
18th April 2010, 06:55 PM
Bad luck mate.

haysey
18th April 2010, 06:58 PM
Bad luck Henno. Next year mate.

Grunt
18th April 2010, 07:12 PM
Hey henno, remember the old classic to win you have to know how to lose first.

Next year mate.

Eag's
18th April 2010, 07:17 PM
Bad luck Adam. Use this loss as motivation to take out B grade next year.

henno
18th April 2010, 07:19 PM
Screw that. I just need to go out a couple of shots and I'll be back burgling Pacific's D grade.

just
18th April 2010, 07:25 PM
That's the spirit!

Hawkers2008
18th April 2010, 08:19 PM
Screw that. I just need to go out a couple of shots and I'll be back burgling Pacific's D grade.

It should be easy with the new system and as long as your competitors don't do the same you should be in the hunt.

henno
18th April 2010, 08:22 PM
It should be easy with the new system and as long as your competitors don't do the same you should be in the hunt.

The new handicap system has awoken some serious burglars in D-grade. Even if I were to blow out a few shots and get to 18 again, I'd be no match against some of the guys who have gone from 18-26 and so forth.

Eag's is right. B-Grade is where it's at. 13 or less here we come.

jaybam
18th April 2010, 08:24 PM
Bad luck today mate but the fact you made it that far is worth a pat on the back to start with.

Hawkers2008
18th April 2010, 08:30 PM
The new handicap system has awoken some serious burglars in D-grade. Even if I were to blow out a few shots and get to 18 again, I'd be no match against some of the guys who have gone from 18-26 and so forth.

Eag's is right. B-Grade is where it's at. 13 or less here we come.

Probably the best way of looking at it.

Bad luck on losing too Henno.

It was a good effort to make the final. 36 in a day is pretty hard going physically and mentally. I reckon carting gave your opponent as edge especially as you never play 36 et alone do it on any kind of regular basis.

Iain
18th April 2010, 08:37 PM
Bad luck Henno...

Yossarian
18th April 2010, 08:44 PM
You gave it your best shot for ol' coach zig, thats all he ever asked.

Lucasto23
18th April 2010, 08:50 PM
Bad luck mate, you will have plenty more chances and victories ahead of you.

ParMaster
18th April 2010, 10:32 PM
Good effort mate. 32 holes is a freaking long way, especially considering you were doing it solo..

Always next year...(which you will win).

LeftyHoges
16th March 2013, 09:41 AM
Just looking through this one for some advice. Some very knowledgeable blokes here.

dc68
16th March 2013, 11:37 AM
Shank one into his ankle on the 2nd.

Daves
16th March 2013, 11:38 AM

That is experience talking right there!

andigold
16th March 2013, 02:51 PM
Just looking through this one for some advice. Some very knowledgeable blokes here. Just remember that all that advice took Henno to a loss lefty. :)

LeftyHoges
16th March 2013, 03:07 PM
Just remember that all that advice took Henno to a loss lefty. :)

Very good point Andy. Might need some fresh, new stuff. :-)

Any tips on how to do this mate? Long iron, short iron?

BenM
16th March 2013, 05:15 PM
Best of luck for tomorrow Lefty. You've got the game, all you need to do is apply it. Time to put a ranga's name on the trophy!

matty
16th March 2013, 05:18 PM
Good luck Henno.

Be the ball.

popper81
16th March 2013, 05:53 PM
Follow the advice Marto issued to Courty. "Exude confidence, and don't talk to lefty until I get there." Worked a treat for Courty.

sms316
16th March 2013, 06:02 PM
Just remember that all that advice took Henno to a loss lefty. :) Seems to have done wonders for his sex life though.

dc68
16th March 2013, 10:15 PM
Very good point Andy. Might need some fresh, new stuff. :-)

Any tips on how to do this mate? Long iron, short iron?

What is the 2nd?

Lucasto23
17th March 2013, 12:22 AM
Good luck lefty

LeftyHoges
17th March 2013, 06:57 AM
What is the 2nd?

Short par 4, 328m dogleg right. Usually a 3 wood, 8 iron or driver, wedge if you're feeling adventurous.

Thanks for all the well wishes guys. Feeling relatively calm considering tee-off is in an hour and a half. Just go out there and see what happens I guess!

mudrat
17th March 2013, 07:42 AM
Good luck lefty

sms316
17th March 2013, 08:16 AM
Harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness. Energy. Block. Bad. It's like a carousel. You put the quarter in, you get on the horse, it goes up and down, and around. Circular, circle. Feel it. Go with the flow.

Marto65
17th March 2013, 08:33 AM
Good luck Lefty. Have you attached the GoPro to the buggy so we can all watch?

LeftyHoges
17th March 2013, 12:34 PM
Good quality golf this morning in not easy conditions.
Opponents had 71 to my 73. 2 down. Feel like I left a few out there while he made the most of most of his. Could be able to turn it around, but gonna need some exceptional golf I think. May have to be a little more aggressive and what happens happens.

Courty
17th March 2013, 03:16 PM
Good quality golf this morning in not easy conditions.
Opponents had 71 to my 73. 2 down. Feel like I left a few out there while he made the most of most of his. Could be able to turn it around, but gonna need some exceptional golf I think. May have to be a little more aggressive and what happens happens.

Good luck with it, mate. Just pretend he is me and go deep on the back 9. 8)

AndyP
17th March 2013, 03:21 PM
Come on, Lefty!!!

Lucasto23
17th March 2013, 04:13 PM
Go deep inside him lefty

popper81
17th March 2013, 04:38 PM
Good luck with it, mate. Just pretend he is me and go deep on the back 9. 8)

So homo!

haysey
17th March 2013, 06:37 PM
So homo!

Plus 1 bajillion. Massively homo.

LeftyHoges
17th March 2013, 06:39 PM
Ouch. Was 3 over through 27 and 5 down.

Tried to force birdies on 10 & 11 and did no good, going down 7 & 6.

5 over through 30 holes and 7 down. Julian finished 3 under for the thirty holes. Admittedly he had the better run of luck but played really solidly and only had 4 bogeys for the day. Can't beat that. Scoreline makes it sound more like a blowout than it actually was.

Johnny Canuck
17th March 2013, 06:40 PM
Good golfing, Lefty. Tough luck.

LeftyHoges
17th March 2013, 07:00 PM
Good golfing, Lefty. Tough luck.

Cheers JC, there's just some times where you have to tip your cap and say "**** me, I couldn't beat that on my best day!" :lol:

Courty
17th March 2013, 07:06 PM
there's just some times where you have to tip your cap and say "**** me, I couldn't beat that on my best day!" :lol:

Now you know how I felt after the back 9 at Southern. ;)

sms316
17th March 2013, 07:21 PM
Go the Hungarian dish!

matty
17th March 2013, 09:18 PM
Well played. Great golf.

BenM
17th March 2013, 09:49 PM
Damn, better luck next time Lefty. Sounds like you hit it pretty well but the better player on the day won - not much you can do about that, just be proud you made it :)

Dotty
17th March 2013, 09:50 PM
Commiserations Lefty.

Mods, please lock this thread. It is poisoned.

Dcanto
17th March 2013, 10:11 PM
Commiserations Lefty, better luck next time.

henno
18th March 2013, 10:12 AM
Do you know how many thousands of dollars I have spent on alcohol to forget this moment?

*sigh* Back to therapy! (read: "The Pub")

dc68
18th March 2013, 11:50 PM
Custard head Henwah.