PDA

View Full Version : What do you desire most out of a golf lesson/s?

razaar
16th March 2010, 08:37 AM
Interested to hear your thoughts.

Jarro
16th March 2010, 08:41 AM
Instant results that are attributed to a well explained technique that holds up under a normal round of golf.

sms316
16th March 2010, 08:43 AM
Depends on whether I am doing full swing or short game.

Full swing is always about tidying up loose ends and making my flight better. I guess reducing the gap betweeen good shots and bad.

Short game has a certain technical aspect, but is also about learning new shots. For a guy who was a short game 30 handicapper only 6 months back I now find short game sessions to be fun. It is a lot easier to experiment with shots when the basics are there.

Sydney Hacker
16th March 2010, 08:50 AM
Depends on whether I am doing full swing or short game.

Full swing is always about tidying up loose ends and making my flight better. I guess reducing the gap betweeen good shots and bad.

Short game has a certain technical aspect, but is also about learning new shots. For a guy who was a short game 30 handicapper only 6 months back I now find short game sessions to be fun. It is a lot easier to experiment with shots when the basics are there.

It's amazing the things you can do after a short game lesson. Once you get shown the basics and have it explained to you why it is so much easier then just relying on hand eye co-ordination (and luck).

razaar
16th March 2010, 08:50 AM
Good one Shaun. A drive on the tee is always going to be the same (at our level) but the short shots are rarely the same in a round.

razaar
16th March 2010, 09:00 AM
Instant results that are attributed to a well explained technique that holds up under a normal round of golf.

Jarro, that reads as if you are buying something you can hold in your hand.:)

3oneday
16th March 2010, 09:01 AM
Nothing, waste of money, buy a new driver.

Minor_Threat
16th March 2010, 09:18 AM
Not that I get lessons or have any desire to, but this is what I think a lesson should involve.

1. Cause and effect (A golfer needs to know why they hit certain shots the way they do, therefore giving them something to work on)
2. Small tweaks to existing swing (Very few people have the time or dedication to go through with major changes)
3. Simple drills, routines and explanations

Eag's
16th March 2010, 09:23 AM
A clear, uncomplicated explanation of what I am doing wrong with my golf swing, backed up by drills & video to keep me on track.

AndyP
16th March 2010, 10:16 AM
It's a waste of money unless you are prepared to invest plenty of your own time into what you are taught, which I am not.

3oneday
16th March 2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks AP, I rest my case ;)

Bushka
16th March 2010, 10:36 AM
Being a high handicap chopper looking to work my way down to bogey golf, and having had seven or eight lessons in the past 5 months I figure i'm basically the demographic.

For me, I want to know what fundamentals are missing, how I'm going to get them, and where am I heading.

So if the teacher can look at my swing, see the flaws in it, give me a lesson showing me how I should be swining and moving, and most importantly set out some drills to work on till next lesson, I am a happy camper.

TheNuclearOne
16th March 2010, 11:15 PM
It's a waste of money unless you are prepared to invest plenty of your own time into what you are taught, which I am not.

Shouldn't the results be instant Andy if the coach is good? Shouldn't we leave the lesson already hitting the ball better?

Moe Norman
16th March 2010, 11:24 PM
lessons are for people who take the game too seriously.

hell, I can't think of another sport (apart from maybe tennis) where average weekend chumps fork out hundreds of dollars to go from being crap to just a bit crap.

AndyP
16th March 2010, 11:30 PM
Shouldn't the results be instant Andy if the coach is good? Shouldn't we leave the lesson already hitting the ball better?And how long before you forget it all and go back to your old habits?

TheNuclearOne
16th March 2010, 11:41 PM
Interesting point LOL

LarryLong
17th March 2010, 07:51 AM
lessons are for people who take the game too seriously.

hell, I can't think of another sport (apart from maybe tennis) where average weekend chumps fork out hundreds of dollars to go from being crap to just a bit crap.

What he said. Golf lessons are only marginally below personal trainers in my scale of "Silly things people blow their cash on".

I'd rather stay a chopper and spend the money on something else. :)

IanO
18th March 2010, 03:04 PM
Lessons are there to provide us with another form of frustration.

You go from hitting the ball crap and not knowing why ... to hitting the ball crap but knowing it is one of the several things the coach told you to change but just not sure which one :smt108

What do I want out of a lesson? Knowledge of what the specific problem is and some simple drills that I can use to improve my game.

I personally take notes on each lesson on the drills that I need to do and what they are supposed to improve and then practice a couple of times a week. I am in the transition phase of improvement where I play 14 pretty good holes in a round but have blown the score on 4 bad ones. 90% of golf is between the ears.

Lucasto23
18th March 2010, 03:15 PM
For me it is to understand where my many faults come from and to work on a single key at a time. TAKEAWAY POSITION

I want to feel by the end of the lesson that i know (until i forget and start tinkering) the position i need to be in at the start of my swing so i can groove it better at the range and trust it on course.

virge666
18th March 2010, 04:13 PM
Unless the student is going to put some effort in - lessons are a complete waste of time. The idea of having a lesson every 3, 6 or 12 months is just ludecrous. Can you imagine learning anything in the real world by getting a half hour lesson every 6 months ? Imagine Carpentry, Welding, Computing, Swimming, really anything at all.

If you want to get better - just go and do some pitching drills from 50-70m. You will quite quickly find a better way to hit the ball by yourself as your target is a lot smaller. The work you do will easily flow on to your longer game.

And remember that the lower your handicap gets - the harder it is to get better. if you work on consistancy as opposed to power, you will find it a lot easier too.

That being said - Lesson's are a much faster way of getting better, but at $60 for a 1/2 hour now... they are getting a little expensive.

Bushka
18th March 2010, 04:31 PM
I video every lesson using my video ipod and then refer back to it while i'm on the practice range especially if i'm having trouble with a concept. I try to get the pro to hit a few balls in the style or manner he is trying to impart to me.

Virge just on the drills bit. I do endless amounts of 50 mtr and inside pitching and hit an awful lot of 8/9/PW irons since we only have 150 mts of range at my home course. The problem for me is the big improvement i've seen in my short game has not had any flow on into my driving/3 wood/2/3 iron *yet*. The fact my irons are quiet possibly set up at present for a 6'5 man with arms of a simliar proportion to Tyranasauras Rex might be hindering me.

Tongueboy
18th March 2010, 06:08 PM
a refund