PDA

View Full Version : The head or the shaft

Bushka
12th March 2010, 07:30 PM
Which is more important?

My club pro gave me a driving lesson this arvo and commented that my supposedly shift staff was actually playing regular flex.

This is apparently a problem with a lot of the stock off the shelf shafts.

I hit the Junior Pro's old Srixon Z steel with a good stiff blue diamana shaft (not stock the proper diamana one), and the result was ridiculously improved. Lost a lot of my hook (of course the fact he'd been working on my hips releasing the club and keeping it inside helped).

So whats more important? Would a head thats a couple of seasons old but still very good quality plus a more expensive shaft be a better combo than a brand new state of the art head and stock shaft?

Hux
12th March 2010, 08:14 PM
Mate just get your current job reshafted. You will see guys selling pretty decent shafts on here from time to time...I woudl say a UST Proforce V2 is great bang for buck. Or hunt around but a high end shaft at the right price and then you keep it and reshaft you next driver head with it as well.
finding the right shaft is at least half the battle.
I feel I have lucked in with current combo of Nike Vr 10.5* with Project X shaft and it was only $400 which is pretty damn good for a current model driver with a top quality shaft.
That or an R9 TP used...the TP is a REAL shaft not made for an will be pretty much true to flex.

KristianJ
12th March 2010, 08:43 PM
I'd probably go down the reshafting route because as hux said, there are good quality shafts that can be obtained at a good price. Get in touch with Virge...he's in Manly as well, and has plenty of shafts at his disposal. He should be able to sort you out.

Yossarian
12th March 2010, 08:45 PM
Depends if the head you are talking about suits you. Head is going to have more impact on the ballflight no? The shaft helps tweak. All IMO of course and I am no expert.

Bushka
13th March 2010, 09:27 AM
I'll have a chat with Virge then, and until that point will try out my old mans spare driver ( 2 or 3 models back Z Steel 9.5 with very nice stiff Sabre Shaft).

razaar
13th March 2010, 10:02 AM
I have witnessed good shots played with a clubhead attached to a piece of rope encased in plastic. So I would have to opt for the head ahead of the shaft. From experience I can say there would be 5 metres difference in my tee shots using the same head with shafts ranging from ladies to X flex (95 mph). It is a timing tempo thing with me, with the reg flex having a better feel.

Bushka
13th March 2010, 10:21 AM
Raz i talked to my old man and he was pretty much in agreeance with you. He is a tempo swinger and will hit the same style of shot with pretty much any flex.

The issue for me with my driver is that I think the particular shaft I have just isn't handling the club head speed i'm getting. The better I'm getting as my lessons progress with width, soft wrists and driving with my left hip turn instead of upper body, the faster and faster my club head seems to be getting. I will try banging out this od srixon with the better quality stiff shaft for a bit.

Would it be possible to put this shaft in another head? Or would it no longer fit?

markTHEblake
13th March 2010, 11:36 AM
Would a head thats a couple of seasons old but still very good quality plus a more expensive shaft be a better combo than a brand new state of the art head and stock shaft?

There has been no brand new state of the art head for 'several' seasons, despite what the glossy adds seem to tell you otherwise. All driver heads are 460cc and have the maximum COR. They cant make them go further anymore.

If you have a head that you like, keep it and put a better shaft in it. Avoid at all costs a stock shaft cos they are rubbish, a one size that fits all method that saves them money.

leighthebee
13th March 2010, 09:08 PM
the head is more sensitive ;-)

Lilsprints
13th March 2010, 10:39 PM
wow it took 9 posts for a penis joke, i'm very disappointed guys.

leighthebee
14th March 2010, 11:31 PM
obviously wasn't funny :-(

TheNuclearOne
14th March 2010, 11:43 PM
The issue for me with my driver is that I think the particular shaft I have just isn't handling the club head speed i'm getting.

Go heavier and stiffer. Not stupid heavy, but heavier.

Bushka
15th March 2010, 08:25 AM
As Heavy as your Avatar?

Virge reckons a shaft change is the way forward as well.

mint
15th March 2010, 08:54 AM
I have witnessed good shots played with a clubhead attached to a piece of rope encased in plastic. So I would have to opt for the head ahead of the shaft. From experience I can say there would be 5 metres difference in my tee shots using the same head with shafts ranging from ladies to X flex (95 mph). It is a timing tempo thing with me, with the reg flex having a better feel.

Agreed.. make sure the head of the club is right before you re-shaft..

razaar
15th March 2010, 09:15 AM
Shaft flexibility is more about hitting the ball straight than it is about distance, particularly with advanced players. The more the clubhead is in front of the shaft the more closed the clubface will be to the line (two and a half degrees for every inch of deflection) which will be the case if the shaft is too flexible for that swing speed. Loft will also be added which is why whippy shafts produce high hooks for fast swing speeds. The reverse occurs if the shaft is too rigid - low slices.

The amount of torsion a shaft has is also a factor in squaring up the face. Matching torson to swing speed is a science in itself involving the swing speed, tempo and timing, and the weightings of the clubhead. The more expensive and exotic shafts have very low torsion which doesn't suit those swings that rely on torson to square up the face. If you understand the science then you will pick up what is happening by the way the ball behaves.

Bushka
15th March 2010, 09:27 AM
Raz,

That's nearly a perfect description of what happens to me the pro at Manly mentioned that my stock Aldila had rubbish Torsion and the fact i come a little bit over the top with my swing at the moment is producing the Hook.

I need to get on a swing monitor I think and figure out what kind of Shaft I need. I just sent Virge a PM boring him to death with detail but I suppose a little leg work will yield the right results.

Played on Sunday again and just bled points every time i touched my driver. Out of bounds left or behind a tree time and again. Even when it's long it's still a big draw.

Good info as always mate thnx.

Bushka
15th March 2010, 09:28 AM
Just as an aside, when i tried out a Srixon Z RW 9.5 * at the range with a good quality Diamana Blue (not the stock made for srixon diamana, but the one with the flowers on it), i found that i was generally hitting either a hook or a push out to the right that was very straight not slicing and with good high ball flight.

If that means anything.

razaar
15th March 2010, 10:08 AM
Bush,

If golf was as easy as picking the right shaft it would be a boring game. Fortunately it's not that easy.;)

Bushka
15th March 2010, 10:19 AM
Yeah :)

I suck at present I guess i'm way overthinking it haha.

IanO
15th March 2010, 10:25 AM
Shaft flexibility is more about hitting the ball straight than it is about distance, particularly with advanced players. The more the clubhead is in front of the shaft the more closed the clubface will be to the line (two and a half degrees for every inch of deflection) which will be the case if the shaft is too flexible for that swing speed. Loft will also be added which is why whippy shafts produce high hooks for fast swing speeds. The reverse occurs if the shaft is too rigid - low slices.

So what causes a high fade (to slice)? Most shots with the driver (with Ping Stiff shaft) have a fade, but sometimes I get a bad slice. Is this most likely to be shaft or my crappy swing?

3oneday
15th March 2010, 11:12 AM
IanO, has Raz seen your swing ?

Bushka, what did your pro recommend that you do about the club ?

IanO
15th March 2010, 11:18 AM
3oneday, I haven't played with any of the OzGolfers (that I know of) as yet. High on my list of todo's

Bushka
15th March 2010, 11:39 AM
ahah the pro recommended that I get a stiffer shaft and wait for it...

practice :)

Wants me up against the door frame with an impact bag so i stop sliding my hips laterally and moving my shoulders forward.

So yeah in terms of the problem

shaft is a little problem...swing is a big one :)