PDA

View Full Version : XP freezing during startup!

goughy
10th March 2010, 08:44 AM
OK, Clikchics computer is locking at startup, after she tries to log in it doesn't go any further. I've gone into safe mode and it locks as well. Yesterday AVG installed an update and afterwards he computer was running slow, and this morning when she tried to log in it froze.

When I entered safe mode it listed all the processes it was starting, and it came to an AVG one (something something something x86) and froze there. Is there a way at startup or in safe mode to select which processes you want to start? That way I can choose not to start the AVG ones and she can sort the problem out, or remove it and reinstall or something?

Ned
10th March 2010, 09:02 AM
If you are able to get to the screen that gives you the option of choosing (F8 Button I think)

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Last known working configuration

etc etc etc

Choose the rollback option if it allows you do select a date or use the last known working configuration etc

goughy
10th March 2010, 09:05 AM
I tried that. Last known working configuration also froze. I haven't seen one that allows you to select a date?

virge666
10th March 2010, 09:44 AM
Go into Safe Mode

Remove AVG.

Reboot in normal mode - it should boot.

Then run Malware Bytes AntiMalware, do an update, then a full scan. Remove the spyware - there will be some.

Then reinstall AVG 9.0

I know this problem intimately.

Ned
10th March 2010, 09:48 AM
Go into Safe Mode

Remove AVG.

Reboot in normal mode - it should boot.

Then run Malware Bytes AntiMalware, do an update, then a full scan. Remove the spyware - there will be some.

Then reinstall AVG 9.0

I know this problem intimately.

Virge,

Its freezing in Safe Mode as well!

virge666
10th March 2010, 09:56 AM
When it freezes, can you move the mouse at all ?

goughy
10th March 2010, 09:58 AM
When booting in normal mode, you can move the mouse (forgot to mention that) but it just sits there forever, saying it's loading personal settings.

In safe mode, it did the same thing, and in safe mode where you can see all the processes loading (in command line format) it gets to the avg process then freezes.

AndyP
10th March 2010, 10:01 AM
<--

virge666
10th March 2010, 10:05 AM
<--

Why write a virus for a company that has 6% of the PC market... and even then you guys need a shitload of updates.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL959?viewlocale=en_US

When booting in normal mode, you can move the mouse (forgot to mention that) but it just sits there forever, saying it's loading personal settings.

In safe mode, it did the same thing, and in safe mode where you can see all the processes loading (in command line format) it gets to the avg process then freezes.

Your in trouble here... have you got another PC ?

goughy
10th March 2010, 10:08 AM
Her new one will be arriving at the end of the month. I think she may have backed up everything she needed already, at least I hope so!

This one will become a media center when her new one arrives, and I was going to do a total wipe and re-install on it with windows 7. Looks like that may be happening.

Ned
10th March 2010, 10:20 AM
Looks like a job for a recovery disk

If you have a genuine or OEM boot disk I would use the "R" option AFTER the system finds the existing OS.

NOT THE FIRST CONSOLE REPAIR

The second one...if your version of XP has it...will re-install XP OVER XP leaving everything there intact.

It doesn't wipe anything but XP..updates etc then have to be re-applied

When you get control UNINSTALL ALL ANTIVIRIS and go to MICROSOFT and get Microsoft Security Essentials.

It is FREE...yes FREE FROM M$ and once updated is as good as ANYTHING

AVG9 has major issues with many XP installs

virge666
10th March 2010, 10:24 AM
Looks like a job for a recovery disk

If you have a genuine or OEM boot disk I would use the "R" option AFTER the system finds the existing OS.

NOT THE FIRST CONSOLE REPAIR

The second one...if your version of XP has it...will re-install XP OVER XP leaving everything there intact.

It doesn't wipe anything but XP..updates etc then have to be re-applied

When you get control UNINSTALL ALL ANTIVIRIS and go to MICROSOFT and get Microsoft Security Essentials.

It is FREE...yes FREE FROM M$ and once updated is as good as ANYTHING

AVG9 has major issues with many XP installs

Exactly.... NOT THE FIRST CONSOLE REPAIR...

You shoudl be able to get a front screen - then uninstall AVG.

Nice one Ned.

clikchic
10th March 2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks guys, doing the repair option now of the XP install. Can't wait till my new puta arrives... MORE POWER, i7 core, 6gb ram & 1gb graphics card, windows 7 (should be interesting!). I have been hanging on to xp for dear life because I hate hate hate vista, BUT I would rather use my desktop than my laptop for my designing, so would rather get it running for the time being because the new one is not expected to arrive for a couple more weeks.

AndyP
10th March 2010, 10:34 AM
Why write a virus for a company that has 6% of the PC market... and even then you guys need a shitload of updates.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL959?viewlocale=en_USDon't take three symbols so seriously. It was a joke.

My post doesn't mention Apple, yet as usual you're quick to jump all over it. I don't care about the arguments. I know what I do and don't like.

goughy
10th March 2010, 12:05 PM
I would love to use apple, but we have so much software that's windows, including some high end stuff of robs. And in the end, can you buy an apple laptop or desktop for under a grand? That's the other prob.

markTHEblake
10th March 2010, 06:15 PM
That way I can choose not to start the AVG ones and she can sort the problem out, or remove it and reinstall or something?

I know its too late now but it wasnt AVG that was the problem, its the process that followed it.

And you gotta laugh at those people who told you to try safe mode - they are worse than you at not reading things properly! :-)

by the way the solution to all your problems is here (http://www.ubuntu.com/)