PDA

View Full Version : Club Limit

ParMaster
9th March 2010, 09:26 PM
Following on from the 12 club thread, I thought this might bring up an interesting discussion.

I don't remember the exact quote, but Donald Ross (golf architect) said that he's never used more than 6 or 7 clubs in his life.

If they limited the amount of clubs to say 6 or 7, do you think it would make the game more interesting because people would have to adapt to each situation, rather than have the club do all the work? IMO it would certainly bring more shotmaking skills into the game.

Opinions?

3oneday
9th March 2010, 09:52 PM
Yep

All-star
9th March 2010, 10:01 PM
Keep it the same, the game is hard enough as it is.

Dotty
9th March 2010, 10:04 PM
The quote may be from this fine gentleman ...

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/16948-Golf-Rules.....Which-Ones-Would-You-Change?p=417562&highlight=maximum#post417562

Yossarian
9th March 2010, 10:04 PM
I think that is the whole point of this thread all star, are we making the game harder with more choice?

The quote may be from this fine gentleman ...

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/16948-Golf-Rules.....Which-Ones-Would-You-Change?p=417562&highlight=maximum#post417562

I was just about to go looking for that, I was having the weirdest feeling of déjà vu

Moe Norman
9th March 2010, 10:05 PM
Tiger would win by even more

Scottt
9th March 2010, 10:07 PM
I must have missed the buty where Pup suggested the rule be changed, All-Star?

If it's a hypothetical, and we're going with 7 clubs, I'm packing:

Driver
18* hybrid
25* iron
35* iron
45* iron
55* wedge
putter

As it stands I am only carrying two extra clubs anyway.

just
9th March 2010, 10:18 PM
It must have been the bit where Pup asked for opinions, I take that as what do you think of limiting yourself to 6 or 7 clubs not which ones you would use. And my opinion is that it wouldn't matter much, 5 clubs or 15 good players are going to shine and duffers like me will continue to duff.

henno
9th March 2010, 10:21 PM
I think the choppers like me would struggle more. We simply don't have the repertoire of shots that low-handicappers do, which would be handy in filling the gaps.

markTHEblake
9th March 2010, 10:33 PM
Henno, I have seen you on the practice fairway, you have an amazing reportoire of shots

henno
9th March 2010, 10:35 PM
Did you like my low cut? I find that if you put the ball back in your stance, slightly open your feet, swing a bit out to in, and hit it right off the hosel it works 60% of the time, every time.

ParMaster
9th March 2010, 11:21 PM
My point was do you think the game of golf would be more interesting considering the less amount of clubs to choose from. That's basically what I'm asking.

JohnLLL
9th March 2010, 11:43 PM
It would make buying Equipment cheaper.

mike
9th March 2010, 11:43 PM
When I first started carrying my clubs I used a half set, ie Driver, 3, 5, 7, 9, sw and putter.

I did that for 3 or 4 comps. If i needed, say, a 4 iron I'd grip down on the 3 or smash the crap out of a 5. Yes it made it interesting. Harder too.

grandmasterb
9th March 2010, 11:59 PM
My point was do you think the game of golf would be more interesting considering the less amount of clubs to choose from. That's basically what I'm asking.

No

markTHEblake
10th March 2010, 12:27 AM
Did you like my low cut? I find that if you put the ball back in your stance, slightly open your feet, swing a bit out to in, and hit it right off the hosel it works 60% of the time, every time.

yeah but i was more impressed with the straight ones you hit like that. :shock:

oz
10th March 2010, 07:58 AM

Yes - it would be more interesting. Whilst I can never see it happening, I think it would be fun, as long as it was a level playing field. If everyone is allowed to carry 14, I will do so (or near to it).

Scottt
10th March 2010, 03:23 PM
The question for those who are determined to have 13 or 14 clubs in their bag because the rules allow it, is have you ever tried any different?

Ferrins
10th March 2010, 04:47 PM
You can sell the majority of golfers more, eg GPS but I don't know about selling them that less clubs is best. I wouldn't care and I would use Scottt's set up.

Please excuse my grammar.

IanO
10th March 2010, 06:31 PM
When I was a beginner I had less clubs and less idea of what I was doing. I would rather keep the option of 14 clubs, even if I don't carry them all.

Hux
10th March 2010, 08:30 PM
A few clubs have limited club comps...take your choice about what you play with limited to 3 or whatever # clubs.

I would agree with earlier comment that limited number of clubs would suit better players who can work the ball and have greater control over distance with any given club.

Personally I don't care for it because I don't have that skill. That level of skill isn't inherent in your average 18 marker who quite rightly should be concentrating on hiting straight full shots before they start playing around with the rest of things.

So if you want to have a limited club game get on the committee and organise one or just carry less and be more interested in your golf or whatever you please. Life is about choices make yours and enjoy it:-)

Daggs
11th March 2010, 10:10 PM
On the rare occasion that im having a day out id prob ably only use five plus putter any way.. every iron goes a different distance every shot grrrr...:roll:

Would we all be better shot makers if we were limited :-k Fair chance..