PDA

View Full Version : Resolved putter forum

Lngnokr71
7th March 2010, 03:08 PM
With putters being such a personel thing and the many styles offered by the big OEM's and the sweet offerings of some of the smaller guys it would be great to have a putter specific forum. What do you say?

MegaWatty
7th March 2010, 04:15 PM
I think we have a putter HO! :)

TourFit
7th March 2010, 04:26 PM
I think we have a putter HO! :)

You rang ????

And that's +1 for the putter forum...Razaar might be in it too !!!!

sms316
7th March 2010, 05:12 PM
Anything that keeps the Lajosi freaks in one area is a good thing.

AndyP
12th March 2010, 11:53 AM
Due to the underwhelming support of a separate putter forum, I don't think I'll worry about it.

razaar
12th March 2010, 01:08 PM
The putter is just another bit of kit, Andy. ;)

Lngnokr71
12th March 2010, 02:47 PM
Due to the underwhelming support of a separate putter forum, I don't think I'll worry about it.

Seems like this is about the only popular golf website that it's members don't go crazy for putters, what's up? Do the Aussies have no love for the most important club in the bag?

LarryLong
12th March 2010, 02:49 PM
It's just a putter. Aren't they all the same?

:mrgreen:

razaar
12th March 2010, 03:24 PM
Seems like this is about the only popular golf website that it's members don't go crazy for putters, what's up? Do the Aussies have no love for the most important club in the bag?
"personal" would be a better word. One forum member rarely uses a putter and he goes under the heading of bushranger.

Lngnokr71
12th March 2010, 04:10 PM
Your right personal would have been a better word...........Wow what does this guy use to putt with?

sms316
12th March 2010, 04:10 PM
Your right personal would have been a better word...........Wow what does this guy use to putt with?

A hand brake.

henno
12th March 2010, 04:14 PM
A hand brake.

That made me laugh.

Hawkers2008
12th March 2010, 04:18 PM
A hand brake.

Didn't think you were Polish Shaun.

razaar
12th March 2010, 04:48 PM
A wedge.

bushranger = ned kelly = plays with the hand brake on.

razaar
12th March 2010, 09:21 PM
Something nice for the eyes.
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/352514-the-studio-b-experience/

virge666
12th March 2010, 10:07 PM
Something nice for the eyes.
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/352514-the-studio-b-experience/

You are all mad.

mike
15th March 2010, 07:03 PM
Wow what does this guy use to putt with?

A hand brake.

That made me laugh.

A wedge.

bushranger = ned kelly = plays with the hand brake on.
What a funny place this is. If I said any of these things I would have had another warning and most probably have been banned.

fwiw Re putter forum; dumb idea.

sms316
15th March 2010, 07:39 PM
Sook.

AndyP
15th March 2010, 08:50 PM
What a funny place this is. If I said any of these things I would have had another warning and most probably have been banned.

Don't be stupid.

PM me with your issue.

mike
15th March 2010, 10:22 PM
Joking Andy.

I think I need to use smilies more often.

Hux
15th March 2010, 10:34 PM
Interesting series of pics off Golfwrx

A couple of interesting things I saw

1. A pile of cast lumps in the rough form of an anser style putter. Would lead me to think that some variants of the Bettinardi (perhaps the Mizuno high volume models?) are milled from a cast blank.

2. There was some large lumps of bar stock that would indicate that not all start as cast form.

3. Some moron programmed the CNC mill at some point to have so many holes drilled into the vice ...and those vices are more expensive that the steel they are milling so sack the operator.

4. The author is a smoker going by the 4 separate pics of a f$%ing ashtray....jeez that is an exciting object d'art.

5. There is an abject fascination with CNC milling for high volume production- with attendant high prices when a low volume hand milled or limited run CNC wtih lengthy setups and customisation is actually cheaper if you see someone like Kari to do it.

Anyone with any knowledge of machining will tell you CNC has 2 reasons for existence...ability to mill complex shapes quickly with auto tool changing when combined with a 3, 4 or 5 axis mill and also high volumes plus keep close tolerances. That is its saves money for repetitive machining tasks...that is it.
Since there are no slip fit or compression fit parts or even threaded parts in a putter it is not like a CNC putter can be that much better than its hand finished cousin of yesteryear....except for one thing....the undocumented/proven benefits of the various face milled patterns in use.

Off the soap box now.

razaar
15th March 2010, 11:00 PM
Producing putters is a sideline/hobby for R.J. Bettinardi. His main business is creating parts and components for the aeronautical and space program, as well as the motor vehicle and aviation industries, as I understand it. He was the first to mill a ping anser design putter for one Donald T Cameron (Scotty) when Karsten Solheim decided not to or forgot to renew his patent. No doubt in my mind that he makes the world's best CNC milled putters .

Hux
15th March 2010, 11:13 PM
So was most of that out of his PR blurb Raz? :-)

None of those pics show anything that you coudl realistically construe as a "hobby" or "sideline". It may have started that way but one thing I doubt is that his business plan says "I have a wee hobby on the side in my backyard milling putters for the needy. I will purchase numerous $500k CNC mills to churn them out". :-)

And those machines aren't just being used to make putters in spare time...that would mean...have less machines. Bettindardi Putters is to all intents and purposes a real business making putters for profit not a sideline to a machine shop using downtime on a machine for a hobby eg Kari L.

So please don't tell me you honestly believe Bettinardi is any more of a sideline that Scotty Cameron Inc?

Eldrick
15th March 2010, 11:25 PM
4. The author is a smoker going by the 4 separate pics of a f$%ing ashtray....jeez that is an exciting object d'art.

this might be a cheaper way for me to be a Ho
how many putter manufacturers would produce ashtrays?

razaar
16th March 2010, 07:17 AM
So was most of that out of his PR blurb Raz? :-)

None of those pics show anything that you coudl realistically construe as a "hobby" or "sideline". It may have started that way but one thing I doubt is that his business plan says "I have a wee hobby on the side in my backyard milling putters for the needy. I will purchase numerous $500k CNC mills to churn them out". :-)

And those machines aren't just being used to make putters in spare time...that would mean...have less machines. Bettindardi Putters is to all intents and purposes a real business making putters for profit not a sideline to a machine shop using downtime on a machine for a hobby eg Kari L.

So please don't tell me you honestly believe Bettinardi is any more of a sideline that Scotty Cameron Inc?
Just telling it as it is Huxtable. Golfers associate R.J. Bettinardi with putters, belt buckles and other golf nicknacs as he has been milling putters well before Cameron estabished himself as a creator of fine putters. However there is another side to the Bettinardi business that is not well known.

AndyP
16th March 2010, 10:17 AM
Threadjackers!

TourFit
16th March 2010, 12:20 PM
I wonder how the ashtray would putt with a shaft in it??? Sure would have a high M.O.I. !!!

Lngnokr71
17th March 2010, 10:50 AM
Threadjackers!
It all pertains to putters (well not all), so will you reconsider the putter forum?

AndyP
17th March 2010, 11:03 AM
The thread is about a putter forum not putters. :p

There's only 28 posts in this thread? Hardly justification for a whole forum. Separate threads in the Equip Me area will be fine.

razaar
17th March 2010, 11:33 AM
I was going to start a new thread on this but decided this thread needs more posts.

It relates to Ozgolf members who are also members of Puttertalk forum. Byron Morgan Cusrtom Putters are sending two test putters to Australia for a review/ test. The invitation is open to 6-8 Aussie members of Puttertalk. The putters will be moved along to each person on the list (who will pay the shipping cost to the next person). Both putters will be returned to the original recipient (who will coordinate the project) by the last person on the list. The co-orinator will return both putters to Byron Morgan.