PDA

View Full Version : St Andrews Beach

Hawkers2008
6th March 2010, 07:48 PM
I had allways regretted not playing here before it went tits up. The bankers have reopened it in a pretty lean and mean operation to get some cash flow from having to maintain while they try and find a buyer.

So today I finally got around to playing here. I really enjoyed it.

Overall the course is great, definately one of the best I have played. Its in pretty good shape but it could probably do with a bit more love. I guess that the bankers have a limit to how capital they will supply to keep it ticking over.

Flowergirl
7th March 2010, 12:21 AM
Did you walk or cart it?
I have heard that it is a tough walk. I must go and play soon before daylight savings finishes. I think they still have a good afternoon deal on there.
The pro used to be at Sandhurst?? ( I think ) and is a customer of mine ( florist) and is a real nice guy.
Thanks for the reminder. May even give it a go on Monday - holiday.

Eag's
7th March 2010, 01:08 AM
I saw this track on the Pro Shop the other night, it looks fantastic and if I was closer, I would go out of my way for a hit there.

Hawkers2008
7th March 2010, 11:48 AM
I hate carts, I walked it. There are quite a few steep climbs on the course but I didn't find it unmanageable and I am pretty unfit.

mint
9th March 2010, 10:20 AM
are they going to build and ACTUAL clubhouse not use portable classrooms ?

just
9th March 2010, 10:23 AM
Why does that matter? It's not a member course, so I'm assuming it's mostly relying on green fees to keep it profitable. Many clubs get themselves into trouble spending money on the clubhouse, when they don't need to.

chappy1970
9th March 2010, 11:14 AM
My old man and a big crew went down there last week and I only heard great feedback about the course. Just annoyed that i couldn't join them on the day.

Yoshi
9th March 2010, 11:23 AM
I played the course for the first time last week and was disappointed with the conditioning considering its ranked in the top 10 in the country. (Im hoping I just played its on one of its off days.)

The greens are slow and bumpy(in some areas), some of the bunkers look like rubbish dumps(plastic, drink cans...etc) and practice green is a joke (shouldnt have bothered - its like putting on a rug).

The course design is a good one but the fairways are overly generous for a course of its length (even when the wind blows). The green complexes are a highlight, a nice natural flow to them which is a real treat to see on a modern golf course as most have a very artificial feel too them.

Dont get me wrong St. Andrews is a good course I just dont think it should be in the top 10. I bet The National are wishing they had asked Doak to do the 'Ocean' course instead of Thommo.

I really hope at some point some company will take a punt and take over the St. Andrews development and complete the rest of the project (Clubhouse, 2nd course and practice facilities..etc).

Cheers
Yoshi

mint
9th March 2010, 11:45 AM
Why does that matter? It's not a member course, so I'm assuming it's mostly relying on green fees to keep it profitable. Many clubs get themselves into trouble spending money on the clubhouse, when they don't need to.

its not a huge issue but if you travel a distance to go an play a course that was rated in the top 10 then you kind of expect good facilities to compliment it. practice green was a joke i agree. when i was there i couldnt even get something to eat.. SURELY a golf club can provide food to purchase and decent amenities.

Bruce Dickinson
9th March 2010, 11:56 AM
Yoshi
why would they build a second course when they are struggling to make the one they have a success?

Hawkers2008
9th March 2010, 12:52 PM
The facilities are a bit spartan no doubt about it. Its unrealistic to think that the bankers will do anything over than keep it ticking over so no development is likely until there is a new owner. Best to look at it this way, a visit here is all about the golf which is really top notch (although a little rough around the edges).

Yoshi
9th March 2010, 01:12 PM
Bruce,

The initial development was for 2 courses, huge practice fairway, putts greens, chipping areas, land sales...etc. this all was put on hold when land sales and memberships were not filled leaving a huge shortfall in funds.

What I was trying to get across was that it would be sad for the original vision/project not to be completed as it has the potential to be one of the best golf complexes in the country if it were to be completed. Unfortunately, the reality is this is highly unlikely, given the decline in people taking out golf memberships, the existing debt the project has incurred to date ( approx. $2Mil ??) and the current economy.

I also have concerns over the future of the existing course. The current operators have a short term contract to maintain the course, whether they allowed to continue or want to continue after the contract is over remains to be seen. So the fate of the existing course is far from secure.

Cheers
Yoshi

Hawkers2008
9th March 2010, 01:23 PM
I can't see the original vision being realised, it went tits up owing the banks and other creditors plenty. The people who bought memberships also become creditors in the process. Whilst it easy to say that the other projects (mainly san remo) were the cause of the developer going under, the fact remains that this was a pretty unattractive business despite the obvious quality fo the course. If that wasn't the case the property would have been sold a long time ago.

The operation will continue as it is until someone buys it or the bank gets tired of providing working capital. For it to become an attractive sale prospect I suspect that the land that would have become the second course needs to be developed for housing.

LarryLong
28th March 2010, 08:00 PM
Had a round there today with some work mates from Melbourne. It's in pretty darn good nick and the design is lovely - my only criticism is that Doak may have overdone the 'raised tee with a panoramic view of the fairway below' concept - I got sick of saying 'woah' on the tee after the tenth time. It's an interesting course - not too long which is the fad these days, but it still manages to be bloody hard using a combination of hilly fairways (good luck getting a flat stance for your second), tough greens with some wicked slopes around them, and nasty, nasty rough. Oh, and the bunkers. One of my mates got stuck in one of them and ended up giving up after 5 attempts. That made the whole day worthwhile. :)

The wind was up a little today, and I found it really hard to get my second shot on the greens, which is a recipe for disaster for a guy like me who can't chip. I started terribly and had 25 on the board after 3 holes and I've got to say the course had me rattled. I was more worried about missing and getting into the shit and I stopped thinking about where I wanted to hit the ball. I was seriously considering bunting out the rest of the day, but I managed to turn it around eventually. Still raised the bat though. How embarrassing!

Strangest happening for the day was watching a ferret run into the clubhouse.

Oh, and they've got some old model footjoys going for $100 in the pro shop if anybody down that way needs some shoes.

Hawkers2008
20th July 2010, 12:53 PM
Looks like there is some hope for the place, which is great news players down here.

Taken from the St Andrews Beach website: I wonder who they may be?

Nearly two months after being passed in at auction the St Andrews Beach Golf Course has been sold and will have new owners from September 1.

The major shareholder, an individual who has a passion for golf has teamed up with a Melbourne based accounting firm, a golf course architect and the current golf course operations management group to complete the sale.

New ownership will see an immediate boost to the course maintenance infrastructure to ensure the course matches up to its Australian top 10 ranking.

Golf Services Management spokesman Ian Denny said the new owners are committed to an ambitious development plan for the facility. The sale will see an immediate injection of funds to develop first class facilities, including a new clubhouse to compliment the existing golf course. He also added that having formed a sound financial structure as a premiere pay to play venue, the Gunnamatta course will remain open to the public 7 days a week, and with permits for a hotel, day spa, condominiums and another championship golf course, they are extremely excited that St Andrews Golf Course will truly become one of the great golf destinations in Australia”

Bruce
20th July 2010, 01:43 PM
This is good news for those who travel south and want to make use of Bruce's golfing chauffeur and accompaniment service.

StAB is #1 on the list of places to take a visitor for the foreseeable future.

AndyP
20th July 2010, 01:45 PM
This is good news for those who travel south and want to make use of Bruce's golfing chauffeur and accompaniment service.

StAB is #1 on the list of places to take a visitor for the foreseeable future.How is your calendar looking for Sept 16-22 (prelim final weekend)? ;)

Bruce
20th July 2010, 01:54 PM
Clear so far - wanna come and play some golf :)

MegaWatty
20th July 2010, 01:54 PM

Long walks along the beach including skimming stones afterwards? ;)

Bruce
20th July 2010, 01:55 PM
That's in the deluxe package.

AndyP
20th July 2010, 01:56 PM
Pencil it in.

mint
20th July 2010, 01:57 PM
let me know when your playing down there bruce and i will join you

Coldtopper
25th February 2014, 11:46 AM
Going for a hit in a few weeks time. The way some are talking this track up I hope its going to live up to expectations.

LeftyHoges
25th February 2014, 12:05 PM
Going for a hit in a few weeks time. The way some are talking this track up I hope its going to live up to expectations.

If you like links courses you'll love it.

If you don't, it's OK.

WBennett
25th February 2014, 01:19 PM
My tip. The first green is to the left of the fairway and not the right.

Its a ripper of a track.

Marto65
25th February 2014, 01:27 PM
My tip. The first green is to the left of the fairway and not the right.

Its a ripper of a track.

It's just behind the bunker. You can get over it easily for 3, or you can try and get over it for 2 and get stuck in the top. ;)

mint
25th February 2014, 02:00 PM
its a short par 5. driver, long iron (or fairway wood for smaller hitters) right of the bunker with a draw easy on in 2.

Courty
25th February 2014, 02:19 PM
I prefer Marto's version. 8)

mint
25th February 2014, 02:21 PM
I prefer Marto's version. 8)

That version made me flaccid

Courty
25th February 2014, 02:27 PM
That version made me flaccid That version is exactly how I played it. :oops:

Scifisicko
25th February 2014, 03:09 PM
Anyone irritated by all the blind approach shots? Ive played it a few times and its finally dawned on me that when I ocassionally hit a good drive, i like to be able to see the green.

LeftyHoges
25th February 2014, 03:20 PM
Anyone irritated by all the blind approach shots? Ive played it a few times and its finally dawned on me that when I ocassionally hit a good drive, i like to be able to see the green.

Yep.

spanner039
25th February 2014, 03:24 PM
And yes don't mind 1,3ish, 5 but 7 shits me

LeftyHoges
25th February 2014, 03:25 PM

7? That's pretty visible I thought. 8?

Coldtopper
25th February 2014, 03:53 PM
Having a hit with a member so I will not be taking any playing advice from him. Thanks for the tips. Do like the old links tracks just havent played them enough should go ok as I hit it along the ground most of the time. Maybe I should put it up as a Ozgolf day trip do you think that any one would be keen with notice?

LeftyHoges
25th February 2014, 04:07 PM
Having a hit with a member so I will not be taking any playing advice from him. Thanks for the tips. Do like the old links tracks just havent played them enough should go ok as I hit it along the ground most of the time. Maybe I should put it up as a Ozgolf day trip do you think that any one would be keen with notice?

There's a few VIC guys around who'd probably join you to play there.

spanner039
25th February 2014, 05:36 PM

Really know my home course mean 8

spanner039
25th February 2014, 05:48 PM

Not from where I play my 2nd from!!!

spanner039
25th February 2014, 05:49 PM

Not from where I play my 2nd from!!!

mint
26th February 2014, 10:22 AM
I love a blind approach.. makes it so much more interesting! haha

Bruce
26th February 2014, 10:48 AM
The first 3 tee shots at StAB are great.
1 looks amazing and you can get away with a fair bit on your first hit of the day.
2 offers about 9 different choices you can make.
3 needs to you be as long and precise as you can be.

A great mix.

mint
26th February 2014, 12:00 PM
The first 3 tee shots at StAB are great.
1 looks amazing and you can get away with a fair bit on your first hit of the day.
2 offers about 9 different choices you can make.
3 needs to you be as long and precise as you can be.

A great mix.

All of this is so true!

markTHEblake
16th November 2022, 11:44 AM
I get the concepts and have read up on its story, and played it on the Tom Doak comp day, so got to experience it at its finest, but is it just me or is this course overrated?

yes, its probably better than any course in QLD, but thats not saying much either. I have now played 7 courses down there, and wouldnt be upset if it wasnt on the short list for the next trip. Maybe it grows on you, once you learn the lines to play to get better angles. I think i got lucky though, i didnt find myself with any bad ones into the green, except for 13 when hitting it 225 in the dead centre of the fairway isnt good enough.

petethepilot
16th November 2022, 11:55 AM
Blakey, it was built as a members course, so it needs lots of plays to know ‘how to play it’!
It has some great moments but some bad low moments.

The impossible to hit it shelf on #3
The impossible right pin on #6
The impossible green to hit and hold #10
The stupid drive/fairway on #13
The ‘Redan’ type hole that doesn’t feed from the right on #16

I really like the rest, although you are always walking 40 metres plus from the green to the next tee!

markTHEblake
16th November 2022, 12:11 PM
^ concur with most of the above (what i dont is because i didnt experience that situation), i did have 3 under nett, so its not as if I am whinging because the course bit me in the bum. had 3 doubles but that was me being retarded, not the course.
I did hold 10 with a 4i, but yeah it did land 2m short of green and finished near back, with pin front left. Looking at this green if you miss it anywhere you are doomed.

I did walk off 13th thinking its a stupid stupid hole, declaring its obviously the owners tinkered with Doaks original design because he wouldnt be that silly (apparently not) . when we stood on the tee, i said it obviously has to have a huge hill to run down that you cant see off the tee. No it doesnt. if you can it it 250 then you get maybe 10m more. I can only guess that he did this hole to counter 2 very short par 4s.

the other silly thing on this course was many 'catchment' areas, where almost every drive funnels into one small spot, and thats full of divots. like 200m left on 2.

LeftyHoges
16th November 2022, 01:36 PM
I get the concepts and have read up on its story, and played it on the Tom Doak comp day, so got to experience it at its finest, but is it just me or is this course overrated?

No. One of the very, VERY few "links-ish" designs in Australia that aren't ****ing stupid.

Blakey, it was built as a members course, so it needs lots of plays to know ‘how to play it’!

I really like the rest, although you are always walking 40 metres plus from the green to the next tee!

Agree with the shelf on #3.
Never had an issue with a right-pin on #6?
NEVER had an issue holding 10.
I only agree that the drive on 13 is ****ing stupid because it's blind. Other than that I don't see an issue?
I like 16, just a strong 3 that forces you to be conservative, or ballsy with your line. Considering the "relative snacks" that are 14 and 15 before it and 17 and 18 to finish it's a good 3.

Possibly very different from the back markers (and maybe that's what you're saying?) as I've never played it from there, but from the next set of tees it's all gravy.

The dumbest part of this course is the centre fairway bunker on 17.

Ron Burgundy
16th November 2022, 02:18 PM
The dumbest part of this course is the centre fairway bunker on 17. Haven’t we already resolved this? #aplayerofyourability

ParkRoyal
16th November 2022, 03:15 PM
I want to love 13, probably becuse of the green site. But yeah the tee shot could have one of highest % of lost balls anywhere. I've always thought they could open up more of the right side, it wouldn't be good side to be on as it would still be a long shot in and the rhs bunker to contend with, but would make the hole more playable. And although the green site is cool, I think it could be more receptive.

I'm not that well travelled, but would there be a course with as much scale as StAB but where the greens feel so small?

Toxic
16th November 2022, 03:24 PM
I want to love 13, probably becuse of the green site. But yeah the tee shot could have one of highest % of lost balls anywhere. I've always thought they could open up more of the right side, it wouldn't be good side to be on as it would still be a long shot in and the rhs bunker to contend with, but would make the hole more playable. And although the green site is cool, I think it could be more receptive.I'm not that well travelled, but would there be a course with as much scale as StAB but where the greens feel so small? 13s a great hole, accurate tee shot,ongoing 2nd into a very receptive green

Toxic
16th November 2022, 03:25 PM
No. One of the very, VERY few "links-ish" designs in Australia that aren't ****ing stupid. Agree with the shelf on #3.Never had an issue with a right-pin on #6?NEVER had an issue holding 10.I only agree that the drive on 13 is ****ing stupid because it's blind. Other than that I don't see an issue?I like 16, just a strong 3 that forces you to be conservative, or ballsy with your line. Considering the "relative snacks" that are 14 and 15 before it and 17 and 18 to finish it's a good 3.Possibly very different from the back markers (and maybe that's what you're saying?) as I've never played it from there, but from the next set of tees it's all gravy.The dumbest part of this course is the centre fairway bunker on 17. 100% 17 fairway pot needs to be filled in

WBennett
16th November 2022, 03:26 PM

You are spoilt at RH. 40m is a short walk at a modern course. Pushing a buggy through the sand up the hill from 5-6 and 6-7 was brutal from memory

WBennett
16th November 2022, 03:28 PM
I'm not that well travelled, but would there be a course with as much scale as StAB but where the greens feel so small?

The greens are tiny, but you can putt from 20m off them most of the time.

ParkRoyal
16th November 2022, 04:53 PM
You are spoilt at RH. 40m is a short walk at a modern course. Pushing a buggy through the sand up the hill from 5-6 and 6-7 was brutal from memory

I only realised recently how short the walks are at Tasmania, makes a quick nine before or after work so much easier.

StAB has a lot of up then down walks from greens to tees or vice versa, that gets annoying.

LeftyHoges
17th November 2022, 08:45 AM
Haven’t we already resolved this? #aplayerofyourability

100% 17 fairway pot needs to be filled in

Seems like we have, yes.

#****ingbullshit5yarddraws

Bruce
17th November 2022, 11:48 AM
13s a great hole, accurate tee shot,ongoing 2nd into a very receptive green

Can you help me understand how accurate works on a blind shot with the amount of contours in the landing zone? A couple of metres difference on the first bounce can have more than 50m of difference in the final result.

petethepilot
17th November 2022, 12:10 PM
Can you help me understand how accurate works on a blind shot with the amount of contours in the landing zone? A couple of metres difference on the first bounce can have more than 50m of difference in the final result.

Totally agree Bruce! The dropoff is very severe on the left and the fairway has elephants buried in it. The right side falls off to leave a blind second over 2 huge bunkers. Up there with BBD #8 tee shot for sillyness…..and both are Doak holes!

Bruce
17th November 2022, 02:28 PM
The course design is a good one but the fairways are overly generous for a course of its length (even when the wind blows). The green complexes are a highlight, a nice natural flow to them which is a real treat to see on a modern golf course as most have a very artificial feel too them.

Dont get me wrong St. Andrews is a good course I just dont think it should be in the top 10. I bet The National are wishing they had asked Doak to do the 'Ocean' course instead of Thommo.

Cheers
Yoshi

I scrolled back to start of this thread to find this spot on prediction for the future made 10 years earlier.

ParkRoyal
17th November 2022, 04:01 PM
Totally agree Bruce! The dropoff is very severe on the left and the fairway has elephants buried in it. The right side falls off to leave a blind second over 2 huge bunkers. Up there with BBD #8 tee shot for sillyness…..and both are Doak holes!

BBD 8 at least has outs and you can see roughly where to hit or not. 13 StAB doesn't have any of this.

If the tee is levelish or a bit higher than the fairway then its probably the best hole on the course and one of Australia's great long par 4's.

petethepilot
17th November 2022, 05:14 PM
BBD#8 would be a much better hole with either;

a flatter, more advantageous upper shelf or

a new tee further back and located up on the dune overlooking the beach. This would have the hole as a risk/reward par 5 (as well as having another all world view). Also, BBD#9 can become more of a ball breaker Par 4 by using the ‘Clayts’ tee just above the #8 green. It is an amazing tee shot down a speed slot (coloured in blue) on the left of the fairway!

StAB #13 is a better tee shot from the front left tee. The back right teeshot is almost impossible to not hit it down the massive left slope at Driver range…especially in a Northerly wind.

PerryGroves
17th November 2022, 07:23 PM
Where are Marto and Just? Think I prefer the work of Yoshi rather than Yoss.

I really like St Andrews Beach and would play it over most down that way. The 3rd has always annoyed me but that's because I'm not good enough.

Toxic
17th November 2022, 07:36 PM
Can you help me understand how accurate works on a blind shot with the amount of contours in the landing zone? A couple of metres difference on the first bounce can have more than 50m of difference in the final result. It's blind the first time you play it, every time after that it's known.Every fairway has contours and run off's of various degrees.Real question, at 450m can you reach it in two or should the average golfer play it as a par 5 and take their 2 points and be happy?Something like a 3 hybrid, 4 iron, wedge and 2 putts

markTHEblake
17th November 2022, 09:16 PM
what a thread revival! seems to be a golf course that generates points of views.

No. One of the very, VERY few "links-ish" designs in Australia that aren't ****ing stupid.
for a bloke that seems to think everything is ****ing stupid, if you like it, then thats saying something!

Toxic
17th November 2022, 10:02 PM
Where are Marto and Just? Think I prefer the work of Yoshi rather than Yoss.I really like St Andrews Beach and would play it over most down that way. The 3rd has always annoyed me but that's because I'm not good enough. 3rd I love, little fade around the corner and take 1 club extra into the green.The bloody par 3 4th however- it just bends me over dry every damm time ffs

LeftyHoges
17th November 2022, 10:07 PM
what a thread revival! seems to be a golf course that generates points of views.

for a bloke that seems to think everything is ****ing stupid, if you like it, then thats saying something!

C'mon now, don't be like that....

Only the ****ing stupid things are ****ing stupid.

backintheswing
17th November 2022, 10:10 PM
I've played it once at the 2015 vic champs. The only hole I can really remember is the dogs breakfast called 1. It got worse after that.

Toxic
18th November 2022, 12:09 AM
I've played it once at the 2015 vic champs. The only hole I can really remember is the dogs breakfast called 1. It got worse after that. 1...the short easy par 5....cmon man

backintheswing
18th November 2022, 08:29 AM
1...the short easy par 5....cmon manAbsolutely no idea where the green was.

WBennett
18th November 2022, 09:13 AM
On 1, 3 Jab hit it to something like 15 foot then made eagle. Simples.
On 2, Gammon brought out a sonic boom, made the putt, and we had back to back eagles.

I wasn't talented enough to eagle 3 to keep the run going.

Bruce
18th November 2022, 09:35 AM
Absolutely no idea where the green was.

There is a sign on the tee box describing where the green is. Has been since 2 weeks after they opened up to the public.

markTHEblake
18th November 2022, 10:56 AM
The Starter also made a point of telling us where the green was.

PerryGroves
18th November 2022, 11:19 AM
There is a sign on the tee box describing where the green is. Has been since 2 weeks after they opened up to the public.

As a general rule, no sign on a golf course is ever read by the intended recipient.

markTHEblake
18th November 2022, 11:34 AM
Ha. I think there was a sign at StAB that said "careful steep descent", on maybe 8, that was too late and should say "sharp corner" instead. My mate in the right seat was taking a video and nearly lost him😀

The steep descent was no danger as it was just straight down after the corner.

Webster
18th November 2022, 11:45 AM
St Andrews Beach is great fun - very different, quirky half par holes, a tonne of awkward shots and blind approaches to mess with your head (usually if you are out of position). Those used to straight forward vanilla golf usually detest it and certainly don't understand it. The wind is a massive factor, but there is mostly enormous width to hit into to.

The two par 4.5's (3 and 13) are terrific holes and head **** those who start thinking about the approach/tee shot well before they get there. At times you can slap it anywhere, others you need a high degree of precision to pull of the shots asked of you. Can be hard to get the ball close to the pin on a lot of holes regardless of where the pin is.

The green sites are very cool, rarely are there bunkers hard up against them, but there is a heap of room around which allows for every possible short game option.

The conditioning is well below what it was when it first opened which is a shame, but its almost always very firm and running. Oh, and it's not a link course; doesn't look like one and certainly doesn't play like one.